Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Yes, but if it's artisanal poop direct from Putin's pants, you've just created a glorious national delicacy for mother Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

diggin that combat footwear

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

BrassRoots posted:

Its even possible that Finn or Swede domestic terrorists blew up the pipeline.

Because it seems to be an exploding pig, according to the debris field, nothing is off the table. Maybe europe is different but i know places where if you want access to a pipeline it aint that hard. And generally if it is a larger facility, somewhere remote for safety and enviro concerns,, the security patrol is less because noone goes there anyway.

I'm sorry, an exploding....pig..?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

dang, Putin is sitting like he's trying not to fall out of his chair

I can't really tell, but doesn't it look like they have photoshopped putin into that seat, like maybe from the floor? Or some kind of hospital bed? He looks weak but somehow still straining. Or some kind of toilet maybe?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

HonorableTB posted:

A pig is the term used to describe the bit of equipment that is loaded into a pipeline for a number of purposes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pine Cone Jones posted:

A pig is the term used to describe the bit of equipment that is loaded into a pipeline for a number of purposes.

So it's like pegging for pipes

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

So it's like pegging for pipes

Quite literally called 'pigging'

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

mobby_6kl posted:

I mean whoever sank the Moskva :nsa:

Neptunes only have so much range, and the russian black sea fleet doesn't like the coast anymore

HonorableTB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb_iyAwu0K4 you can see it around 1:30, it's what's thought to have destroyed the pipeline by us not in the know

tiaz fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 20, 2023

Set
Oct 30, 2005
Considering the situation at Bakhmut just keeps getting more and more precarious, I thought I'd translate a few articles that focus on that area before continuing on with my planned programming. In this article a Yle journalist visits a trench system that defends the road to Slovjansk, and interviews soldiers stationed there. I recommend you check the link for video and photos of the conditions these soldiers live in, while defending their nation from the Russian invasion.

Author: Antti Kuronen
Release date: 20.03.23
Link to untranslated article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20023063

quote:

Yle in Bakhmut: Most of the weapons of the city's defenders are from the Soviet era, there is mud everywhere

Yle reporter Antti Kuronen and cameraman Benjamin Suomela visited the trenches, which are used to defend the road from Bakhmut to Slovjanski.

Description of video: Journalist Kuronen is in a trench, and as he is ducking towards the camera he explains that spring has arrived early in Bakhmut which can be seen by the amount of mud everywhere. There is quite a bit of water in there, and while moving about isn't easy, it is a lot easier compared to a week ago, when it rained last. He explains that the soldiers stationed there are tasked with defending and important road leading out of Bakhmut. They are armed with anti-tank weaponry as well as anti-air weapons, such as Stingers. He gesticulates and points to the direction a drone flew out a while ago. He finishes off by mentioning they are only a few kilometers from the frontline and the Russian forces stationed there.

BAKHMUT Sasha guards the horizon. He is ready to destroy Russian fighters. The hardest battles of the war take place a couple of kilometers away in Bakhmut.

Sasha joined the army a year ago when Russia fired at his hometown Kramatorsk. Factory work changed to anti-aircraft work.

Since then, the American Stinger launcher has become familiar.

Sasha shows how he puts the launcher into working order in an instant and rushes to the positions.

- With these we destroy enemy fighters, helicopters and, for example, Orlan drones, says Sasha.

The main task of the Kramatorsk border troops is the defense of the road from Bakhmut to Slovjansk.

If the Russians manage to break through in Bakhmut, a defense line awaits them just outside the city. Ukraine has built there, for example, concrete bunkers with machine guns and anti-tank weapons.

Russia's goal is to occupy the entire Donetsk region. That's why this particular highway is critical.

There are no alternatives to defending Bakhmut

Unit commander Serhi says that the battle for Bakhmut is tough. Ukrainians die in a defensive battle, but according to him, there are no alternatives.

– If we don't defend ourselves here, then where?

The commander has mixed feelings about the battles. Many Ukrainians die and get wounded in Bahmut, but in the endgame, he says he trusts the political and military leadership.

- They have more information than I do, says the commander.

If Ukraine loses Bakhmut and the surrounding hills, there is a risk that Russia will break deep into Ukraine.

Serhi confirms reports of Russia's unrelenting attack. Russian soldiers are being sent with a continuous supply towards the Ukrainian positions in Bahmut. They are lightly armed, and the attacks continue in the same way all the time.

- The Russians are destroying their own. They treat them like meat, says the commander.

- Again and again they crawl from the same places, and our soldiers destroy them. This may continue for four or five days. They don't even change tactics. There are a lot of them, but our troops know how to defend themselves effectively.

The biggest problem for Ukraine in Bahmut and many other places is the Russian artillery. Defense is hard because of that. The commander admits it, and it clearly touches him too. Many pay with their lives.

The most pressing problem is the scarcity of ammunition and armament.

- The situation is difficult, but tolerable. We can push them out, but we need weapons to do that.

Russia is encircling Bakhmut from three directions

The battle for Bakhmut has been going on since last summer. Over the past couple of months, Russia has advanced and is encircling the city from three directions.

Russia is also attacking from many other directions in Donbas, but the battles in Bakhmut are the hardest.

The fate of the city is still completely open. The Ukrainian leadership has vowed to defend Bakhmut.

From the hills on the north side of Bakhmut, the Ukrainian artillery is mauling the Russians. The rumble of war a couple of kilometers from the city is continuous.

There are several new bunkers. There are also anti-tank weapons all the way along the front.

Soviet-era armament

Still, much of the armament is still from the Soviet Union. This unit has, for example, the Fagot anti-tank weapon. It was manufactured in the Soviet Union from the beginning of the 1970s.

Heavy machine guns are from the same era. Such have been installed, for example, on the roof of a light military vehicle. The vehicle is a Toyota Landcruiser up-armored in Ukraine.

The foxholes also contain modern NLAW anti-tank weapons.

56-year-old Eduard is responsible for a ten-person anti-tank team. He joined the war already in 2014.

- It's hard when the enemy attacks your country. Especially when you have a family you want to live for, says Eduard.

Before the war, he worked in the Ministry of Transport of Ukraine. That life has been left behind.

- We Ukrainians are a peaceful nation. We don't interfere in other people's affairs. We want to live in peace, like in the EU, but here in our own country, says Eduard thoughtfully.

- In my opinion, the person in power in Russia has an unhealthy situation in his head. He wanted to be Tsar, but...

There is water and mud in the trenches

Spring has come early. The endless trenches have water in places. There is mud everywhere. Still, the situation is better than a week ago. It hasn't rained in the last few days.

But whenever it rains, there are problems. Trenches can collapse. That is why they must be supported.

- There is also a shortage of timber. We need it to support the trenches, says one soldier who remains anonymous.

Many of those here have been in the forces for almost a year. There are still no signs of giving up.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1637858324321296385
This is interesting. Purportedly the Wanker SS seem to have landed in a spot of bother. The Zaporizhzhia information is nothing new because that recorded, translated segment was already posted here.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Purposes such as thrilling action sequences for Pierce Brosnan and Denise Richards

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Thanks for the pig information. I don't know what I expected but an actual pig rigged with explosives didn't seem that impossible given how weird this war has been

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Infidel Castro posted:

Yes, but if it's artisanal poop direct from Putin's pants, you've just created a glorious national delicacy for mother Russia.

'It would be a poop soup and it would ruin the potato' has to be in the shortlist for thread titles.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't let these eggheads fool you

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1636815401580412935
This is not a good sign for Russia.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Don't let these eggheads fool you

Gaming the system with Warpigs. :ughh:

That was the last of the good TW games. :(

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just Another Lurker posted:

A game so good it got used for battle reenactments on the History Channel

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And her Julius Caesar, portrayed by a flaming pig, can be seen vanquishing his great foe Vercingetorix, portrayed by adog

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bring the war pigs to the Pig War

quote:

Despite being referred to as a "war" there were no casualties on either side, aside from the pig.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
How long is the Chinese dude in russia for?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1637798673835864067
This is some creepy rear end poo poo, lmao

Tai posted:

How long is the Chinese dude in russia for?

Up to March 22nd.

e: lol

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I refuse to belive the UK had anything to do with the pipeline explosion solely on the grounds that the people we now have in charge would mean.

a) The entire plot would have leaked immediately.
b) The attempted sabotage would have failed.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe they were trying to fix it? That would track?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Hersh article still cracks me. loving Norway. Of any country you could roll with and you pick Norway

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cant believe Lesotho is going to get away scott free with blowing up that pipeline.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I don't think that person is talking on this topics based on just theoretical basis. Maybe she eats that soup for a breakfast?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lotharingian fifth columnists blew up the pipeline

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Ukraine War: it would be a poop soup and ruin the potato

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

"Can you make soup if you put a potato and a piece of poop in the same pot? You can try, but it won't be borscht"

Would it be borshit?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
It would be bolloxed

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Putin makes breifshit to the traditional Putin family recipe these days.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1637877591041343488
Tatarigami came up with a new thread. As before, Russia still has a lot of resources to continue prosecuting the war, but their quality and quantity are steadily decreasing. They're especially beginning to run into a lack of heavy equipment and weaponry, albeit still having enough for local fire superiority. This is unlikely to improve unless someone else, like China, sells them ammo and weapons. However, even a poorly armed mob in defense will be problematic to handle unless Ukraine properly exploits what advantages they have.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I am under the assumption that China has probably been supplying Russia with arms surreptitiously for some time now

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

I am under the assumption that China has probably been supplying Russia with arms surreptitiously for some time now

non-lethal aid and a limited supply of small arms, body armor, drones, etc. but not heavy weapons and certainly likely not artillery shells.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If only someone had a thousand tanks parked in the desert doing nothing, perhaps these shortages could be exploited! :thunk:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

mobby_6kl posted:

If only someone had a thousand tanks parked in the desert doing nothing, perhaps these shortages could be exploited! :thunk:

If only there was a fast way to work up 1,000 tanks in long-term storage, upgrade them to the modern standard, and then ship them to the other side of the world while simultaneously training 1,000 tank crews and probably three times as many mechanics.

For comparison, it took the Iraq army three years to get the first 140 tanks it ordered.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Vengarr posted:

If only there was a fast way to work up 1,000 tanks in long-term storage, upgrade them to the modern standard, and then ship them to the other side of the world while simultaneously training 1,000 tank crews and probably three times as many mechanics.

For comparison, it took the Iraq army three years to get the first 140 tanks it ordered.

Pretty sure those tanks in desert storage are the ones with the secret sauce armor anyway and therefore would never be given to Ukraine in any circumstance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Relax, the chinese psyop known as "war thunder" will see to that soon enough. All they need to do is give the Abrams worse armour than a t90 and some extremely angry tanker will post an entire top secret specification breakdown to justify why they need to buff it.