Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I will give others an opportunity to post a newbie friendly game first, but I have an idea on the backburner I can drop if we need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Cloacamazing! posted:

This thread and the discord: https://discord.gg/xT5vBE5MkY

Currently the only game that's recruiting is Rimworld, but a few other people have said they'd start a smaller game.

I did not realize there was a second mafia discord. Which scoundrel caused this :argh:

Edit: I want to be clear this is a joke. I haven’t been around much in a long time so just want to make sure!

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 20, 2023

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

chaoslord posted:

I did not realize there was a second mafia discord. Which scoundrel caused this :argh:

look, bud, I simply hate Mary Worth

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Grandigame! :neckbeard:

I said this already, but I'm up for running a Games Mafia (13p Open Setup) exclusively for new players at some point during the next month. It would not clash with other stuff and it'd hopefully attract new people in, too.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Numberwang! A game of Mafia for 13 players coming soon to a thread near you.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sandwolf posted:

look, bud, I simply hate Mary Worth

honestly this is the best and most understandable answer you could have given

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jump King posted:

2010 had 107 games with 1564 players
2011 had 145 games with 2170 players
2012 had 115 games with 1860 players
2013 had 145 games with 2183 players
2014 had 127 games with 1827 players
2015 had 164 games with 2484 players
2016 had 149 games with 2060 players
2017 had 77 games with 1197 players
2018 had 61 games with 1017 players
2019 had 44 games with 605 players

This information is super interesting and I was trying to think about what could have caused the sudden decline. Sure, the world is going to poo poo and everything continues to more terrible. Also, we're all getting older and many people just don't have the time for stuff like forums mafia anymore.

But I'd like to put forward another possible cause: Discord came out in 2015 - but really rose to popularity in late 2016/early 2017. I feel like, around that time, many of the areas of the forums tended to slow down in activity as many of these communities moved to Discords.

Thus, I blame Discord for the death of forums mafia.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have like 3 games sitting in my list right now if demand perks up I can run one, they're all pretty basic

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Grandicap posted:

Numberwang! A game of Mafia for 13 players coming soon to a thread near you.

That's Numberwang!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

"Arguing with strangers and pointing them out as fascist elements trying to infiltrate our society" became the de facto purpose of the internet circa 2016, why would you need to play a special game to get that fix anymore?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
bring back buzz feed lists

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Mordiceius posted:

This information is super interesting and I was trying to think about what could have caused the sudden decline. Sure, the world is going to poo poo and everything continues to more terrible. Also, we're all getting older and many people just don't have the time for stuff like forums mafia anymore.

But I'd like to put forward another possible cause: Discord came out in 2015 - but really rose to popularity in late 2016/early 2017. I feel like, around that time, many of the areas of the forums tended to slow down in activity as many of these communities moved to Discords.

was this not the time of the general decline in SA usage. I remember old SA friends telling me to join Bread and Roses around that time.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I thought B&R got started around the time Lowtax was revealed to be even shittier than previously known

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
gently caress the data, mafia died when merk retired

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Voodoofly posted:

Mafia games used to be numbered. Every game that came after those first thirty or so are basically not canon

Someone run Danganmafia V3

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

death cob for cutie posted:

I thought B&R got started around the time Lowtax was revealed to be even shittier than previously known

Nah, there was a push to move to B&R around then when SA's future was uncertain, but it was around for a while before that as a weird politics-brained-user sanctuary

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lol bnr

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Voodoofly posted:

Mafia games used to be numbered. Every game that came after those first thirty or so are basically not canon

Brb, running Something Awful Mafia ~1395.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Shellception posted:

Brb, running Something Awful Mafia ~1395.

Pretty sure we used Roman numerals back then.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

If you check the original post you can see some people speculating on the reasons. There’s probably many factors.

There was a certain discord game in 2017 that sometimes catches the blame. It could of course be the general move to discord rather than that specific game. Also possible that by the community moving to discord more there was a smaller influx of new users.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Voodoofly posted:

Pretty sure we used Roman numerals back then.

Fiiiine, Something Awful Mafia MCCCXCI.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I always said discord was bad and finally the data is in!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

birdstrike posted:

I think we should show Discord how serious we are

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Look at all these coattails riders acting like they hate discord more than me

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

birdstrike posted:

Discord is good, it's voice friend that's bad

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I agree with both the conclusions reached about a certain past member, and also, genuinely, do want to see the revival of Mafia.

I'm really choosy about games at this point. Part of this is time and age, as I'm sure everyone is feeling - part of it is that I was really, honestly, a really bad person when I was overinvested in Mafia - friction in the game exacerbated mental health issues out of game and made me a person I deeply regret being.

If I find the time in the next couple months I might run a medium-sized game that might be a good way to dip your toes into the game without getting too deep into the really complex setups.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I've stayed here the whole time and I think Mafia's actually been revived already! Yami's first Gnosia game brought in some great new blood, and there have been more waves of cool new folks popping in ever since then.

But it never hurts to have another one.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I promise to join any games that open in the next week.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Well, okay, I do have this week off work, so let's see if I can't put together something. The setup is already done so I just need to put together the flavor and make a few small tweaks.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wait, was there actually a cultish sex pest here? I don't remember that at all. We aren't talking about Steak surely?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
man this is gonna get depressing

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The extraordinarily tl;dr version is there was a lot of problems with the Riven game, which longtime SA Mafia user Peramene hosted, which only recently came to light for a number of people. Pera has since been permabanned from the site, as a result of the various problems that came to light that were considered unacceptable at the time, and are certainly unacceptable now.

I can't necessarily speak for everyone who was hurt, nor am I going to, but people within the community have done the legwork to make sure these claims are very much legitimate. A lot of people are going back through a lot of this and reckoning with the consequences of giving Pera so much room to work with, even when, by all rights, they shouldn't have.

If people who were closer to the events want to actually dredge up their thoughts, that's up to their own comfort.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
If you all promise not to gamethrow on day 2 again I will host another mafia game sometime this season.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

EccoRaven posted:

If you all promise not to gamethrow on day 2 again I will host another mafia game sometime this season.

Where does pretending to be a ghost for no reason fall in terms of "game throwing"

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

EccoRaven posted:

no deal

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

EccoRaven posted:

:negative:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Monathin posted:

The extraordinarily tl;dr version is there was a lot of problems with the Riven game, which longtime SA Mafia user Peramene hosted, which only recently came to light for a number of people. Pera has since been permabanned from the site, as a result of the various problems that came to light that were considered unacceptable at the time, and are certainly unacceptable now.

I can't necessarily speak for everyone who was hurt, nor am I going to, but people within the community have done the legwork to make sure these claims are very much legitimate. A lot of people are going back through a lot of this and reckoning with the consequences of giving Pera so much room to work with, even when, by all rights, they shouldn't have.

If people who were closer to the events want to actually dredge up their thoughts, that's up to their own comfort.

Lots of stuff happened, a significant number of SA mafia players stopped playing mafia as they found the online LARP-like games peramene and others were running (beginning with a series of games based on the Myst series, but expanding from there into a lot of other scenarios and games) to be more of what they wanted, and then a game happened that exposed a lot of issues with the structures and norms of these online LARP games and the practices involved in running them.

There were a lot of crossed boundaries and I can't say how much was deliberate or inadvertent (I lean towards the latter, but I am personally biased for various reasons, which is a disclaimer I feel needs to be made.) As someone who was there up until this particularly rough game happened and had a contentious and, eventually, destructive relationship with a lot of the key figures of this whole situation, I think the easiest way to learn more — outside of asking people to elaborate on difficult subjects or speaking to all involved to get their particular perspective of events — is to look at the SAD thread made on the subject that, alongside discussion of podima's incipient admin-hood, included peramene's permabanning.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jesus christ this is wild (:nms: somewhat)

This is why i don't do anything social with anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

i was so pleased with how that ended tho