Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

sometime truckfuckling is just the price of owning the libs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Platystemon posted:

The dose makes the poison.

It’s just an anticoagulant. I don’t recommend eating mice or mice droppings, but if you did, the green stuff would be the least of your worries.

It's a really great way to kill your cat or any hawks etc. that live in your neighborhood.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Platystemon posted:

The dose makes the poison.

It’s just an anticoagulant. I don’t recommend eating mice or mice droppings, but if you did, the green stuff would be the least of your worries.

Years ago, one of our neighbors put that stuff outside to kill rats, and either something that ate it wound up in our yard, or something carried the bait over, because one of our dogs basically had a stroke after eating it.

She lived, but couldn't walk right and had other problems after that.

I also can't use ant baits in the house because one of my current dogs thinks they're the most delicious things in the world and will track them down and try to eat them every single time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a really great way to kill your cat or any hawks etc. that live in your neighborhood.

Concern for small scavengers is fair, but the OP made it sound like it was novichok.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Yet the strangest thing here is that the top floor of a historic hotel in the middle of a large European city can be described as "derelict." How does that even happen?

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Yet the strangest thing here is that the top floor of a historic hotel in the middle of a large European city can be described as "derelict." How does that even happen?

It's probably like an attic, above to top guest rooms, just got access for roof maintenance. Worse when only one guy had the keys and he lost them 50 years ago, or the door got walled over in a renovation.

I worked in an old hotel in the middle of a city and there was a suit of armor in our top storage, definitely can see this happening in forgotten spaces.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/pckfm5i.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/24awzuo.mp4

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rrtx5dvpyu1r0uzl6.mp4

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

probably haunted

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So what happens when one in the middle is rusted and doesn't snap open after ten years, or someone tied a rope around it to hang a plant or whatever else?

edit: oooh, or the idiot landlord paints over it a dozen times and everything is locked up by an 8th of an inch of petrified paint?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
IIRC Anthony Bourdain mentions coming across an abandoned ballroom in a hotel's sub basement in one of his books.

Also there are abandoned apartments on the top floor of some NYC libraries. They used to house the buildings' caretakers.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/inside-the-new-york-public-librarys-last-secret-apartments

deoju fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 20, 2023

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what happens when one in the middle is rusted and doesn't snap open after ten years, or someone tied a rope around it to hang a plant or whatever else?

edit: oooh, or the idiot landlord paints over it a dozen times and everything is locked up by an 8th of an inch of petrified paint?

yeah they're going to be disabled pretty much instantly

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Only $29.99 on Amazon!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah they're going to be disabled pretty much instantly

The stairs or the people using them?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Vakal posted:

Only $29.99 on Amazon!
Shipping will kill you though

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Why all the extra moving parts? It just seems like more things to go wrong, more expensive to install, very unlikely to have been maintained, and how do you smoke weed on your fire escape people watching the night crew at 3 am?

I feel like fire escapes have been relatively solved, but I've never lived in that kind of building.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

deoju posted:

IIRC Anthony Bourdain mentions coming across an abandoned ballroom in a hotel's sub basement in one of his books.

Also there are abandoned apartments on the top floor of some NYC libraries. They used to house the buildings' caretakers.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/inside-the-new-york-public-librarys-last-secret-apartments

Boston has an auditorium under Steinert Hall, abandoned because it would be a death trap in a fire.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Aaaaaaahhhhhh
No respiratory PPE anywhere with all that silica and grinding dust.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mr. Nice! posted:

There were other similar traps granted patents!

also

NoneMoreNegative posted:

from the people who brought you the six-shooter mouse death trap

Oh hey nice some cheese I'll justOOUUGHH

plus the reason I was in the thread

Someone had a lot of fun making this sign

Vakal
May 11, 2008

jetz0r posted:

Aaaaaaahhhhhh

Do you want the tables to be $34.99 on Amazon instead? No one will pay that.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

quote:

Glasgow

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

plus the reason I was in the thread

Someone had a lot of fun making this sign

My stupid brain: that cat isn't careful when it's using the winch!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Holy poo poo, and I thought Surviving Edged Weapons really stretched the limits of what is possible with a blade.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Uthor posted:

My stupid brain: that cat isn't careful when it's using the winch!

Mine: I'M USING THE CAT WNCH!!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Platystemon posted:

Boston has an auditorium under Steinert Hall, abandoned because it would be a death trap in a fire.

There’s a whole rear end exhibition hall and ballroom inside the pillings for the Jacques Cartier bridge in Montreal that got used once and then never again.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ironhead posted:

I feel like fire escapes have been relatively solved, but I've never lived in that kind of building.

Since we're on the topic, what are the regulations for new buildings that have internal fire staircases? Is it just that they have to have separate ventilation systems from the rest of the building, and fire doors on each floor, or is there more to it? I just started working a new job in a 42-floor condo (which I already hate :() and I was curious about that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

jetz0r posted:

Aaaaaaahhhhhh

There are a couple. The chisel guys around :15 have masks, and I think someone around :32 has one as well.

Plus the obligatory dude smoking a cig while he grinds stone. He's mega hosed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mister Speaker posted:

Since we're on the topic, what are the regulations for new buildings that have internal fire staircases? Is it just that they have to have separate ventilation systems from the rest of the building, and fire doors on each floor, or is there more to it? I just started working a new job in a 42-floor condo (which I already hate :() and I was curious about that.

Stairs usually only have pressurization systems in case of fire. The stairs need to be positively pressured to the building to keep smoke from being drawn into the stairwell. In the Midwest where I am, they usually just get cabinet heaters for heating in the winter and no cooling equipment. The pressurization system will be completely independent of building hvac. Sometimes it’s just a fan blowing in outside air, sometimes it will be a makeup air unit that will at least heat the air in case you have a fire when it’s cold outside.

Only things allowed in the stairwell are those items that serve the stairs. So you can have duct for pressurization, or your fire standpipe, but no pipes, conduit or duct can pass through the stairwell. Stairwell walls are 2-hour rated. Doors need to have closers, but can’t slam shut. Doors will be rated as well and will open into the stairwell. You will also need to make sure the path of egress is always clear, and some buildings will have areas for wheelchairs to park and wait for rescue.

There’s more to it, but that’s the basics.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 21, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That's fascinating, thanks. I'm guessing the elevator shafts are under similar regulations? Tomorrow I think they're gonna train me more on the fire alarm panel in the CACF room.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/FunnyLikeAClown/status/1637462211240099845

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ah sweet, I didn't know Kitchen Nightmares was back

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

jetz0r posted:

Aaaaaaahhhhhh

That was 100% my first thought.

interwhat posted:

Agreed. I use spring traps because it minimizes the time suffering. I went to the store the other day to buy some more but all they had was a little box the mouse goes into and takes a little bit of green poison gel back to kill its family with slowly over time. The mouse in the mean time gets this crap all over, or at least exposes all the areas it goes to. Including your pets, wildlife, etc. Also the mouse excrement will also be contaminated. Extreme care to be used with the corpses. No thanks.

Besides killing hawks and cats and stuff, poison makes it likely that the mouse/rat dies somewhere that you only discover after it starts to smell, and it's relatively unlikely to be somewhere that's easy to get to.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Cyrano4747 posted:

There are a couple. The chisel guys around :15 have masks, and I think someone around :32 has one as well.

Cigarette had a filter. That's PPE.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbqQeooSVu4

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, the dude at 0:15 might have a real mask on, unless it's a half mask with no filters. (Easier to breathe without the filters, ya know)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Being historic makes it harder to turn the old staff housing rooms into anything useful.

https://twitter.com/MsAshleyDavies/status/1637777336459247618

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mister Speaker posted:

That's fascinating, thanks. I'm guessing the elevator shafts are under similar regulations? Tomorrow I think they're gonna train me more on the fire alarm panel in the CACF room.

Elevators are a little different, and just a reminder that a lot of this stuff can be locally code driven. I have just started to see places require either pressurized elevator shafts, or creating a smoke barrier around the elevators on each floor. Elevators are different because in a fire, you're not supposed to use the elevator anyway, so there has been less focus on those.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

I toured a place once that makes that one look high tech. The Fairbanks Oil Field near Oil Springs Ontario. It’s an old low yield site that is still producing oil with 1860s wooden jerker lines. It’s the most tranquil oil field in the world.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj5Gfv1Vg00

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qVRYBes6g8

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Fornax Disaster posted:

I toured a place once that makes that one look high tech. The Fairbanks Oil Field near Oil Springs Ontario. It’s an old low yield site that is still producing oil with 1860s wooden jerker lines. It’s the most tranquil oil field in the world.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj5Gfv1Vg00

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qVRYBes6g8

I've been meaning to head down that way and check poo poo out there and in petrolia,but have yet to get around to it.

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001
In the early 2010s there was a company called Closed Loop that was probably the largest recycler of CRT TVs in the nation. Turns out they never recycled about 99% of the CRTs they took in. Most of them were stored in gigantic warehouses in Arizona and Ohio. Then the company went out of business, abandoning all the CRTs. A large portion of them were stored outside for over 10 years.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z4gv73/americas-television-graveyards

They just recently finished cleaning all of this up:

https://resource-recycling.com/e-scrap/2021/07/01/crt-cleanup-progressing-at-closed-loop-sites-in-phoenix/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The following is a video of some truly awful factory "safety" ostensibly from China.

Content description: One employee gets knocked over and pinned by a robot arm, no visible blood or injury, some yelling in distress. Then as other employees rush to help him, another two employees get in the way of another automated robotic arm and get themselves pinned. Once again, no visible blood or injury, considerable yelling in distress.

https://imgur.com/a/EAAw4WN

I'm intentionally leaving it not-inlined because it's still a BIT more distressing than some of the other stuff that gets posted here.