Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

https://twitter.com/Hakkeyoi_Sumo/status/1637660312974286850

Onosho is out. Which forces me to.... back to Tamawashi?? Or Nishikigi?

(I just traded Tamawashi for Onosho, and my picks for the segment are Tamawashi, Nishikigi, Onosho)

I guess if I have a choice I would prefer Nishikigi? I've created a really weird corner case for myself

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Day 9: Ochiai getting kachi-koshi already is nuts.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Day 9: Ochiai getting kachi-koshi already is nuts.

I think we might be seeing the early days of something special here.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I'd have paid more than 10k to see the ritual that exorcised the death demon from hakuho and transferred it to ochiai.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Fearless posted:

I think we might be seeing the early days of something special here.

He's being challenged more that he was at the start of the tournament, but the ability to deal with a stable-state situation, process, and then immediately take decisive action that generates a win is really impressive. Two days in a row he's gotten stuck in a bad spot and then outsmarted/outmuscled his opponent.

Cannot wait to see him compete against the rest of the top of Juryo, going to be some great matches.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

(I just traded Tamawashi for Onosho, and my picks for the segment are Tamawashi, Nishikigi, Onosho)

I guess if I have a choice I would prefer Nishikigi? I've created a really weird corner case for myself

Well gently caress. I just traded for him. Kenning, can I get...Ugh...Shodai? Anyone but Tamawashi please.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 20, 2023

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Hmm, a kyujo trade is acceptable to me. I'll go with Abi or Shodai.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
I'll put in a trade for the now kyujo Onosho

Trade: Onosho for Midorifuji, Shodai, or Abi in that order please, (I'm fully assuming that Midorifuji is full-up.)

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
At this rate I fully expect WTK to pull a henka day 1 in May. I think this is the third(?) basho in a row where week 1 was just abysmal and the second week was just recovery (well, hopefully)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Thauros posted:

whoa i had no idea he was another hakuho guy. he obviously warranted it but how did he earn a debut at makushita 15 anyway? i know about the university sumo promotions like with kinbozan, but this presumably doesn't apply to him since he's 19 and doesn't have a school listed
to add to what Brut already said: there's four annual amateur tournaments recognized by the JSA (Kokutai, Corporate Championships, Student Championships and All Japan); the winner of any of them is entitled to start at Ms15 if they turn pro, and anyone reaching quaterfinals or better can jump in at Sd100.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

when is the final day for this basho?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

my cat is norris posted:

when is the final day for this basho?

It's always Sunday. In this case it is Sunday the 26th. (Japan time)

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Can I trade Onosho for Abi please. Or if not him whoever else you deem fit.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Brut posted:

It's always Sunday. In this case it is Sunday the 26th. (Japan time)

To add on, the first days for each basho are the second Sundays in January, March, May, July, September, and November, and they run for 15 days, finishing on a Sunday.

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better

captainblastum posted:

To add on, the first days for each basho are the second Sundays in January, March, May, July, September, and November, and they run for 15 days, finishing on a Sunday.

Thank you for that! We've gotten the months figured out but didn't recognize that it was always the second Sunday.

That makes it easier.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Shodai feels different this basho. He fought real hard at the edge against Kotonowaka where as in the past few tournaments I feel like he just would have given up and taken the step out. Wonder what changed?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Dimebags Brain posted:

Shodai feels different this basho. He fought real hard at the edge against Kotonowaka where as in the past few tournaments I feel like he just would have given up and taken the step out. Wonder what changed?

Shodai

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Shodai has been stretching

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My shodai story is, last year I bought this keychain. Within about 2 months of very light use on my keychain large parts of the picture had flaked and peeled off, leaving about half of his face, making that expression

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

No Mods No Masters posted:

My shodai story is, last year I bought this keychain. Within about 2 months of very light use on my keychain large parts of the picture had flaked and peeled off, leaving about half of his face, making that expression

My wife got me the wakatakakage one and I use it as a desk ornament at work.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I have been cheering for Shodai this time around, even when he has been fighting my picks in the fantasy draft and I will continue to do so.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
I've been keeping up with the last two basho and I'm really happy for my boy Midorifuji doing really well.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 21, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i have a new favorite sumo mans and his name is OCHIAI

(until Tochi comess back but also at the same time as Tochi)

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnSumoDataRikishi/profile/4187/

look at him born 2003 though what the hell im ancient :c

17matches 15wins(including 1 bye)

the gently caress!

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Tobizaru and Hoshoryu's faces after their match lmao

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Eldoop posted:

Tobizaru and Hoshoryu's faces after their match lmao

So good. They looked like they'd both gotten away with a prank

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Hoshoryu is my sumo boyfriend.

Enho is my little guy.

Hokuseiho is my large adult son.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I always love watching the rikishi's faces after a henka.

Hoshoryu specifically has such a smug smirk when he pulls a successful one.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Nativity In Black posted:

I always love watching the rikishi's faces after a henka.

Hoshoryu specifically has such a smug smirk when he pulls a successful one.

Hakuharam.jpg

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrZW8LzPLks

Time for the bimonthly "lolling at old men grumbling about Hakuho saying he needs to retire before dominating for another decade or so"

https://japantoday.com/category/features/kuchikomi/hakuho-wins-33rd-title-but-its-lonely-at-the-top

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol every time

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Hakuho is such an undeniable king that like across all sports I think he might be the most. In basketball it's MJ v LeBron in tennis it's the big three fight in MMA it's like five different people. In sumo it's Hakuho and then really really really complex arguments of Our Culture to argue for like Raiden or Chiyonofuji.

Like a king:

"Hakuho may have exceeded Taiho on a numerical basis, but spiritually, he has a way to go yet," a veteran sports writer remarked to Shukan Bunshun (Feb 5). "He said he's going to 'give all he's got,' but the next day it came to this."

The writer was referring to Hakuho's tardy appearance before the media on Jan 26, following his breaking of Taiho's record.

"He'd been out drinking until about 7 a.m., and turned up about an hour late for the press conference, which had been scheduled for 10:30 a.m.," the writer complained.

At the press conference, Hakuho was described as "reeking of alcohol" and "inarticulate."

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hahaha this one is cruel. you just know kisenosato watched this tape like a hundred times wondering how he could not see a set up this obvious.

it looks like hakuho is directing traffic with exaggerated movements in a parallel universe where cars are replaced with harumafuji naruto running and constantly screaming

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Here's a little treat from mid-Sandanme tonight for y'alls enjoyment (Goseiryu v Aoi)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

every shonen protagonist screaming 'GUTSU'

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Marching Powder posted:

hahaha this one is cruel. you just know kisenosato watched this tape like a hundred times wondering how he could not see a set up this obvious.

it looks like hakuho is directing traffic with exaggerated movements in a parallel universe where cars are replaced with harumafuji naruto running and constantly screaming

SHODAI needed Hakuho to retire to bloom into SHODAI because when Hakuho was around...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBjT--rF6GM

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kotoshoho should be immediately demoted to juryo for managing to lose that match

Hoshoryu's face after the Tobizaru match is the highlight of the basho so far for me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://clips.twitch.tv/ConsiderateJoyousFungusPraiseIt-OQgnBDXanpoY_ywS

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Lid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrZW8LzPLks

Time for the bimonthly "lolling at old men grumbling about Hakuho saying he needs to retire before dominating for another decade or so"

https://japantoday.com/category/features/kuchikomi/hakuho-wins-33rd-title-but-its-lonely-at-the-top

Lid posted:

Hakuho is such an undeniable king that like across all sports I think he might be the most. In basketball it's MJ v LeBron in tennis it's the big three fight in MMA it's like five different people. In sumo it's Hakuho and then really really really complex arguments of Our Culture to argue for like Raiden or Chiyonofuji.

Like a king:

"Hakuho may have exceeded Taiho on a numerical basis, but spiritually, he has a way to go yet," a veteran sports writer remarked to Shukan Bunshun (Feb 5). "He said he's going to 'give all he's got,' but the next day it came to this."

The writer was referring to Hakuho's tardy appearance before the media on Jan 26, following his breaking of Taiho's record.

"He'd been out drinking until about 7 a.m., and turned up about an hour late for the press conference, which had been scheduled for 10:30 a.m.," the writer complained.

At the press conference, Hakuho was described as "reeking of alcohol" and "inarticulate."

Marching Powder posted:

Lid posted:

SHODAI needed Hakuho to retire to bloom into SHODAI because when Hakuho was around...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBjT--rF6GM

I'll get to the trades and fantasy standings in a moment, but I just want to say again: I love Hakuho. I feel so privileged to have gotten to watch him fight. I've never been a big celebrity guy, but I wish I could tell Hakuho what he means to me. He's perfect.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Well gently caress. I just traded for him. Kenning, can I get...Ugh...Shodai? Anyone but Tamawashi please.

Per the "Extremely fine-grained kyujo auto-trading rules" you, in fact, get Abi. My desire to give you Shodai is strong, but we must hew to the spirit of sumo, and follow rules that no one likes.

Iron Chef Nex posted:

I'll put in a trade for the now kyujo Onosho

Trade: Onosho for Midorifuji, Shodai, or Abi in that order please, (I'm fully assuming that Midorifuji is full-up.)

See above, alas I wish I could give you Midorifuji, but you must take Ryuden.

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Alas, the result is Nishikigi, and nothing else.

Akiosan posted:

Can I trade Onosho for Abi please. Or if not him whoever else you deem fit.

Against all odds, you must accept...Tamawashi.

These four kyujo trades have all been quite fraught, so I'll clarify the rule from the Fantasy OP: Any kyujo that occur on days 8-15 will be auto-traded, using the draft picks provided before the basho. Any player can freely modify their draft picks on days 1-7 to account for possible kyujo in week 2, and the modified picks will be used for week 2 kyujo auto-trades (accommodating the wire etc.). If a given set of picks can't be used because of the wire and precedence, these are the whims of a cruel fate, and no trade will take place.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kenning posted:

He's perfect.

he really is. i liken him to lebron in the sense that they had massive expectations placed upon them while they were still actual children and not only did they meet those absurd expectations, they surpassed them. i'll tell you what lebron hasn't had to do yet, and that's become the example to look towards for an entire nation that isn't his and an important figure in the rituals of a foreign religion.

i don't know how he lived and competed for so long where every single thing he did on and off of the dohyo was scrutinised by weird racists and all the while dodging all of the massive and minor scandals because... being a yokozuna meant something to him.