Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

things are so bad that JP Morgan had to look inside those bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Economy so financialized that half a billion in metal can be traded sight unseen and on inspection much later turns out to be fake

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

Sunny Side Up posted:

Does anyone have a good article or other source on how the IMF and World Bank have extorted the third world to maintain this neo-colonial system for many years? I’ve been intensely searching and nothing useful comes up. I thought this was common knowledge.

Debt: The First 5000 Years.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Someone in the stocktrading thread in BFC was posting about having done nearly exactly this haha, though tbh it didnt seem like that unreasonable of a bet, a lot of the bank stocks rebounded after FDIC said that they'd have access to infinite money.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

PoundSand posted:

Someone in the stocktrading thread in BFC was posting about having done nearly exactly this haha, though tbh it didnt seem like that unreasonable of a bet, a lot of the bank stocks rebounded after FDIC said that they'd have access to infinite money.

yeah but that was only for the giant banks not these regional ones

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Somehow, Ea-Nasir has returned.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

the price of nickel quadrupled after russia invaded ukraine

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Vox Nihili posted:

Economy so financialized that half a billion in metal can be traded sight unseen and on inspection much later turns out to be fake

There are shipping containers with art sitting in ports that don't move, but change ownership somewhat frequently.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/arts/design/one-of-the-worlds-greatest-art-collections-hides-behind-this-fence.html

Industry standard :chaostrump:

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

lol

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Iron Crowned posted:

I just wear a Casio F-91W, it tells time, that's all I need in a watch

hell yeah! I got one of those for my first cooking job and I've still got it like 11 years later. I think I've replaced the battery once

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

MonsieurChoc posted:

title please

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Didn't this exact scenario happen to BoE last week?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MonsieurChoc posted:

lmao

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
If I had a nickel for every time that happened, I’d have more nickel than those banks.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Goa Tse-tung posted:

title please

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

nice society you have there, shame if something were to happen to it

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1637858665523732499?s=20

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Xaris posted:

it’s loaded up with so many ads and payouts, how does it lose money wtf

twitch's business model is to spend absolutely insane amounts of money courting a few top influencers and then try to squeeze a profit out of everyone else. it's stupid and fraudulent and loses them money hand over fist but it's industry standard because CEOs of content platforms can only conceive of their businesses existing to make a small number of people rich, even if it's at the company's own expense

Morbus
May 18, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

he can't keep getting away with it

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Sunny Side Up posted:

Does anyone have a good article or other source on how the IMF and World Bank have extorted the third world to maintain this neo-colonial system for many years? I’ve been intensely searching and nothing useful comes up. I thought this was common knowledge.

“How Europe Underdeveloped Africa” by Walter Rodney

“Open Veins of Latin America” by Eduardo Galeano

I’d also recommend “A Certain Amount of Madness: The Life Politics and Legacies of Thomas Sankara” by Amber Murray

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i prefer justin tv because i got to watch aqua teen hunger force on a loop

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i highly doubt citi or hsbc are going to pop

SARS-Cordyceps
May 15, 2022

by vyelkin

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I thought Twitch has ad blocker piercing technology now

For some reason as recently as today I've never gotten an ad while watching the most important twitch channel, unlimitedsteam

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Thoguh posted:

Yellen walking back the "everyone will get bailed out" by saying that only banks that are properly large and politically connected will be bailed out was not good.

I thought watching the rule of law dissolve during the 2008 crisis was remarkable, but we're about to top that

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

sure why not lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Fitbits are super inaccurate and overstate calories burned
yeah. i wouldn't be surprised if most overstate it to make users feel good

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

i highly doubt citi or hsbc are going to pop

lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I thought Twitch has ad blocker piercing technology now

twitch has been in a constant battle with adblockers yeah. ublock can work ok after an update but usually breaks.

amazon probably has a full-time 100-person staff of computer touchers devoted to destroying ublock so it's been a war that adblockers seem to be slowly losing

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
somehow my chromecast blocks all twitch ads

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

i say swears online posted:

if they take away my monthly twitch prime sub imma go joker mode

I've been using the Twitch account I linked to my parents' Prime to funnel money to independent game devs who stream their work, so I agree.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Banks are the biggest idiot

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Shageletic posted:

lol i'm seeing this after getting my new CIPP accreditation. Seems like a growing sector of the economy but doesn't seem like there's a lot of people hiring.

I think you're the first person I've ever seen who has an IAPP cert. I've thought about doing a couple of them (CIPP and CIPM), but I've never, ever seen anybody acknowledge that they exist. Granted, my background's in infosec rather than legal (albeit one where I've worked closely with our attorneys on poo poo), but I'd still think that somebody out there would care about them somehow.

Have you seen anybody hiring who knows enough about the CIPP to ask for it?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wait, is this a different thing than the one last week? LMAO if so.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Kreeblah posted:

I think you're the first person I've ever seen who has an IAPP cert. I've thought about doing a couple of them (CIPP and CIPM), but I've never, ever seen anybody acknowledge that they exist. Granted, my background's in infosec rather than legal (albeit one where I've worked closely with our attorneys on poo poo), but I'd still think that somebody out there would care about them somehow.

Have you seen anybody hiring who knows enough about the CIPP to ask for it?

Yeah these certs look pretty interesting and might lead to a remote job. Was the exam hard?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Citi?! Is my Costco credit card safe???

:lol: Citi's been loving poo poo up for years. Back when they got the Costco credit card contract, there were a ton of rumors going around that one of the terms was that they process transactions from Costco Visa cards for free, and other Visa cards at a very, very low rate.

https://viewfromthewing.com/how-much-citibank-and-visa-actually-overpaid-to-win-the-costco-business-away-from-amex/

Nobody else was desperate enough to offer that, and AmEx didn't want to do it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Egg Moron posted:

Banks are the biggest idiot

It's incredible how fragile they are even when they have tons of excess funds on deposit. It's pretty obvious how fractional reserve lending could result in banks overlevering themselves and imploding due to bad loans etc., but it's downright impressive that now these banks with ample deposits to support their assets are also imploding due to flat out dumbshit investment decisions.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

It's incredible how fragile they are even when they have tons of excess funds on deposit. It's pretty obvious how fractional reserve lending could result in banks overlevering themselves and imploding due to bad loans etc., but it's downright impressive that now these banks with ample deposits to support their assets are also imploding due to flat out dumbshit investment decisions.

yeah and idk about SVB and larger regional banks, but PPP was a huge windfall for smaller regional banks, just free money for origination fees and tons of new business customers

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ea Nasir, the ultimate merchant, trading moon rocks painted green to rubes out in the asteroid belt.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

Wait, is this a different thing than the one last week? LMAO if so.

i think the other one was the london mercantile exchange?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Goddamn the startup bros got borderline aristocratic treatment in the SVB ecosystem