Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Does state law have an impeachment procedure? I have a dream.

Yes, they were going to do it to Cuomo before he resigned.

Fun fact, the only governor actually impeached in NY ran afoul of the grand masters of corruption Tammany Hall, and got thrown out because of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Sulzer

Extra fun fact, even though the investigation was started under shady reasons, turned out shenanigans were had with his campaign funds and gambling the money, supposedly by his wife but who knows! It's corruption all the way down!

Never change, New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LegionAreI posted:

Yes, they were going to do it to Cuomo before he resigned.

Fun fact, the only governor actually impeached in NY ran afoul of the grand masters of corruption Tammany Hall, and got thrown out because of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Sulzer

Extra fun fact, even though the investigation was started under shady reasons, turned out shenanigans were had with his campaign funds and gambling the money, supposedly by his wife but who knows! It's corruption all the way down!

Never change, New York.

That's! Our! State!!!!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Biden to City: Drop Dead

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

eric will have them mining jo crystals to earn safe passage to quebec

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/emmagf/status/1637797102628618240

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

A slightly wider Helvetica? Did one of Eric Adams' cronies make a fortune off of this?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Milton Glaser is spinning in his grave.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i think it sucks but i'm just happy someone probably got paid millions of dollars to change "I" to "WE" and make it look worse

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

LegionAreI has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Mar 20, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what a weird thing to do

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i think city retirees should get to keep medicare.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
How'd Adams even get elected? Every time I see him on TV he's just a complete freakshow that I couldn't imagine him running an office, much less a city.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

How'd Adams even get elected? Every time I see him on TV he's just a complete freakshow that I couldn't imagine him running an office, much less a city.

Something like 10% of eligible voters vote in the mayoral primary, so if you have good GOTV you can take it easily. Also the other candidates didn't make good use of RCV.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

Back the Blue! he won by 0.8% or like 7k votes

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

his campaign was also a freakshow

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Zeroisanumber posted:

sat on my keys! posted:

Something like 10% of eligible voters vote in the mayoral primary, so if you have good GOTV you can take it easily. Also the other candidates didn't make good use of RCV.

It was basically a shitshow primary with the first time New Yorkers ever had to do ranked choice voting. WAY too many candidates came out and there was a lot of cannibalization. Adams won a lot of nonwhite working class votes while Garcia and Wiley ended up dividing all the progressives. Other candidates who could have been frontrunners (like Scott Stringer) got hamstrung by scandals too.

Adams, to no one's surprise I suppose, also won the black vote fairly handily.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-eric-adams-won-the-new-york-city-mayoral-primary/

In the general election, the GOP ran this guy and he had his own baggage from his quasi-vigilante past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Sliwa

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Mar 20, 2023

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Eric Cantonese posted:

In the general election, the GOP ran this guy and he had his own baggage from his quasi-vigilante past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Sliwa

I've never met anyone with a good opinion about the Guardian Angels. Even the cops hate their guts.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Literally everyone in the ranked choice primary was garbage so who was gonna vote for them

We would have been better off with Silwa as mayor cause than at least people would get mad at him doing the exact same poo poo Addams is doing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Literally everyone in the ranked choice primary was garbage so who was gonna vote for them

We would have been better off with Silwa as mayor cause than at least people would get mad at him doing the exact same poo poo Addams is doing

+ he was gonna fund the cat shelters.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Andrew Yang actually had a decent shot in the primary, but then he opened his mouth and clarified what he actually believes in.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Echo Chamber posted:

Andrew Yang actually had a decent shot in the primary, but then he opened his mouth and clarified what he actually believes in.

He gave us this thread title which is his most enduring legacy if we're being honest.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I always love it when I see a Yang bumper sticker in the wild.

I'm like, oh yeah, that guy was a thing for a news cycle.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I heard grapevine rumor stuff the day of the election of the NYPD dumping ballot boxes straight into the garbage and I just go "yeah that makes sense."

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I was gonna ask if the cops even like him but ai hear less from them about how their hands are tied ao they must

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They love him. Every subway station in the city now has 2-4 cops looking at their phone collecting insane overtime. Plus he gave them the authority to institutionalize anybody who looks poor w/o needing to arrest or process them.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

In Training posted:

They love him. Every subway station in the city now has 2-4 cops looking at their phone collecting insane overtime. Plus he gave them the authority to institutionalize anybody who looks poor w/o needing to arrest or process them.

God I hate this loving guy

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

In Training posted:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I think I just realized the real reason they city passed this stupid as gently caress garbage has to go out at 8pm law. Its so that the homeless and desperately poor that pick over the recycling have to do it under cover of darkness so as to not be an "eye sore"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

KomradeX posted:

So I think I just realized the real reason they city passed this stupid as gently caress garbage has to go out at 8pm law. Its so that the homeless and desperately poor that pick over the recycling have to do it under cover of darkness so as to not be an "eye sore"

Nah Eric Adams is just dumb and obsessed with rats and was screaming at his sanitation commissioner to DO SOMETHING.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Like people forget about the time when he was BP and called a press conference to show a dozen reporters a bucket of 50 waterlogged dead rats while he rambled incoherently about rats. He thought that was a totally normal thing stable genius leaders do.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Nah Eric Adams is just dumb and obsessed with rats and was screaming at his sanitation commissioner to DO SOMETHING.

Be also hates the homless and poor so maybe he figured out a way to combine the two and do a favor for the real estate people who complain curbside garbage looks ugly and decrease property value

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

‘Open’ or shut case: NYC hit with federal ADA lawsuit seeking to end Open Streets

quote:

A dozen New Yorkers with disabilities have filed a federal lawsuit against the city, claiming that its Open Streets program violates the Americans With Disabilities Act, with the hope of scuttling the program.

The lawsuit, filed in Brooklyn Federal Court Monday, says everything about Open Streets is a ruse down to its name, deeming it “Orwellian Newspeak” and arguing it would more appropriately be called “Closed Streets.” The plaintiffs argue that by occasionally closing off some streets to car traffic, seniors and people with disabilities who can only travel by motor vehicle — particularly those living on Open Streets — are facing illegal discrimination.

“The program results in the de facto closure of New York City’s public avenues and streets to individuals with disabilities — whose only or primary access to the streets and to the buildings, businesses and services on the streets — is through the use of motor vehicles,” the 12 plaintiffs, who live in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens, allege in the suit, which names the city and various organizations managing Open Street locations as defendants.

I can kind of see what their getting at, but I can't shake the feeling this is just the evolution of boycotting Amazon for one day is ableist

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 06:01 on Apr 26, 2023

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KomradeX posted:

‘Open’ or shut case: NYC hit with federal ADA lawsuit seeking to end Open Streets

I can kind of see what their getting at, but I can't shake the feeling this is just the evolution of boycottinf Amazon for one day is ableist

There’s maybe a reasonable claim buried under this absolutely awful lawsuit, but also, this complaint is so bad and drenched in so much conspiracy minded too online lunacy, that it will be thrown out of court near instantly and discredit any future such claims for years.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

if that reasoning was held up you'd have to shut down the entire public transit system and end all bus routes

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

KomradeX posted:

I can kind of see what their getting at, but I can't shake the feeling this is just the evolution of boycotting Amazon for one day is ableist

quote:

However, the placement of metal police barricades across Berry Street discourages delivery trucks from driving down the street to make deliveries. Instead, these large trucks frequently park in front of the barricades while the delivery-person makes deliveries throughout the block. As a result, the entire street – and thus the mandatory 15 foot emergency lane – becomes completely obstructed. Furthermore, the original two barricades proposed are now increased to three barricades at many intersections. Upon information and belief, Berry Street is an emergency route, making such obstructions even more dangerous.

You'd think the problem is delivery trucks blocking the street but no, the problem is an anti-car cabal that has fastened its grip on the new york city government.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

In Training posted:

if that reasoning was held up you'd have to shut down the entire public transit system and end all bus routes

yeah it feels like a much stronger suit against the MTA for its infuriatingly slow rollout of elevators

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all you need is one judge that hates seeing grilled corn on the cob sold from a tent on his block and open streets is over

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
All judges are landlords so that's p much guaranteed to be the outcome.

Lol at the liberals cheering the Halligan appointment this week, oh hurray a private prosecutor is becoming a judge I'm sure it'll go well for your token friends, democrats

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
yeah, Wilson seems okay, but Halligan is a complete unknown for judge-type things, and leaped at representing Chevron against indigenous people while at a big law shitpile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Gunshow Poophole posted:

All judges are landlords so that's p much guaranteed to be the outcome.

Lol at the liberals cheering the Halligan appointment this week, oh hurray a private prosecutor is becoming a judge I'm sure it'll go well for your token friends, democrats

Unless they're rich, the Democrats don't care