Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He would assign 6 to Thrun

Here's the example from earlier.

Let's say you're attacking into a Death's Shadow. They're at 10, you're attacking with a 10/10 trample. They block.

(snip)

The Death's Shadow is a 3/3 when it blocks. You can assign 3 damage to it and 7 to the player, but if that happens the player will be at 3 and the Death's Shadow will be a 10/10 when state-based effects (like creatures dying) are checked.

If you assign 7 to the Death's Shadow and 3 to the player, the Death's Shadow will only be a 6/6 and will die.

You know I don't think I've ever been gotten like this, mostly because I generally end up removing them a different way.

Bolting a goyf though, I think every modern player has made that mistake at least once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ah okay I see now. I thought trample just took excess damage applied to a creature and just carried it over to opponent face, but trample instead gives you the opportunity to assign damage beyond lethal amounts to opponent face (or you could assign more than lethal to creature). Good to know!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Ah okay I see now. I thought trample just took excess damage applied to a creature and just carried it over to opponent face, but trample instead gives you the opportunity to assign damage beyond lethal amounts to opponent face (or you could assign more than lethal to creature). Good to know!

Yeah, to quote the rules on Trample:

"The controller of an attacking creature with trample first assigns damage to the creature(s) blocking it. Once all those blocking creatures are assigned lethal damage, any excess damage is assigned as its controller chooses among those blocking creatures and the player or planeswalker the creature is attacking."

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Well they're definitely seeding some form of resistance or purifier to the Phyrexian oil, but also lol Lukka. Turned to ash by a cat dragon, and absolutely no one mourns him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know this would be terrible for some reasons but what if the player on the draw gets one (1) free extra card, and it must be a basic land

Missing land drops on the draw after mulligans is the worst

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Re Conquest, is this now a popular enough format that it should be added to the list of formats in the OP? If so, I'd be happy to edit in a blurb.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

precision posted:

I know this would be terrible for some reasons but what if the player on the draw gets one (1) free extra card, and it must be a basic land

Missing land drops on the draw after mulligans is the worst
I think that's too good. Let's you keep way more hands and puts you a card up I think draw would have a much higher win rate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Well they're definitely seeding some form of resistance or purifier to the Phyrexian oil, but also lol Lukka. Turned to ash by a cat dragon, and absolutely no one mourns him.

Did I catch he had a fiance? Or did I misread and she was thinking of someone else because lol if he has a fiance and that's all the mention and interaction they got. I have known Lukka long, but everything about him sucked rear end and I'm glad he died pretty anticlimactically just against a natural beast. His gross flesh abomination will be a cool card or just a cool thing to imagine or draw.

Also lol so Ikori's theme is they got dinosaurs and all the people there freaking hate animals?

Also enjoyed the Strixhaven story, another new setting for me and I was glad to see it followed Killian as I have been eyeing him as a potential Pauper commander. I saw from the card art he has I k ghost powers but who are these ink spirits and why do they want to be ink?

Also seems like the young elephant student had his spark ignited while they tried to do the invocation. I'm guessing what distracted home girl handling one of the lotus petals was tied to backstory or character events from Strixhaven.

Wonder what the elephant planeswalkers abilities will be, does he already have a card from before?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Did I catch he had a fiance?

Yes, it was a big part of the Ikoria story

https://scryfall.com/card/c20/8/jirina-kudro?utm_source=mw_MTGWiki is the card for her. She's also the point of view character for some of the most recent story segment

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 20, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I mean she probably broke it off after trying to kill her and everyone she knew with giant monsters during Ikoria.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I'm not a Lukka apologist but his potential seems to have been wasted. He starts off as a military man but learns he has a special power to connect to the very thing he is fighting and is ostracized from those he had vowed to protect. He then goes down a revenge/shitheel path but then he could either go down the hippie green path and fulfill the RG planeswalker spot since domri got iced. Or go evil WR with a more order/domination theme with a plan to take over a lesser known plane and be the next low level bad guy.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Killian's dad being called Dean Embrose keeps being hillarious

Khanstant posted:

Also lol so Ikori's theme is they got dinosaurs and all the people there freaking hate animals?

Well the animals wreck human poo poo constantly, with kaijus besieging cities and everything wanting to eat people. Bonders get well with critters but they are hippies.

quote:

Wonder what the elephant planeswalkers abilities will be, does he already have a card from before?

Probably more Lorehold mechanics, with bringing things from graveyard, RW but not combat oriented

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.
On that combat damage topic, the last time I remember it being specifically standard relevant to the game was with eyetwitch and shambling ghast. You'd occasionally catch someone making a sloppy double block expecting to use the counter in the combat math or get a free learn and trade and you'd sometimes deny these things based on various knowledge of their hand etc.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Khanstant posted:

Also seems like the young elephant student had his spark ignited while they tried to do the invocation. I'm guessing what distracted home girl handling one of the lotus petals was tied to backstory or character events from Strixhaven.

gently caress yeah, Quintorius owns

I hope that Lost Caverns of Ixalan is centered on Quintorius nerding out over old ruins and just being a fat dorky Indiana Jones

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
What is Karn up to at the moment) was the last time we saw him in the caves?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I think Norn took him apart and the planeswalker strike force found him, and he's just there all like "detonate the bowl you morons" to anyone who walks by.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Silhouette posted:

gently caress yeah, Quintorius owns

I hope that Lost Caverns of Ixalan is centered on Quintorius nerding out over old ruins and just being a fat dorky Indiana Jones
Rumors are it is like the hollow earth of Ixalan with Huatli and Quintorius. Which sounds cool to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this rules(caveat: assuming it happened voluntarily in exactly the way depicted and this isn't flowerily gussying up of demanded work)
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/why-i-decided-not-to-do-emrakul-and-how-we-shipped-it-anyway

I look forward to someone playing it and then it having no animation whatsoever because they don't do that anymore but some lovely angel card from eight sets ago gets to swoop in riding on a scythe or whatever

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Captain Invictus posted:

this rules(caveat: assuming it happened voluntarily in exactly the way depicted and this isn't flowerily gussying up of demanded work)
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/why-i-decided-not-to-do-emrakul-and-how-we-shipped-it-anyway

I look forward to someone playing it and then it having no animation whatsoever because they don't do that anymore but some lovely angel card from eight sets ago gets to swoop in riding on a scythe or whatever

Having played with and against Emrakul the Promised End a ton when it was in standard, I call bullshit on this part of the article.

quote:

the community loved and loves Emrakul...

Emrakul, though clearly beloved and a lot of fun

Emrakul the Promised End is a card that sucks the fun out of any game it is played in, the only people I have met that actually like it are the contingent of "fun is a zero sum game" sickos.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 20, 2023

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Quintorius has an inherent talent for fate-misfortune magic of a sort from the initial sidestory he appears in.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic-story/mentor-2021-04-16

quote:

The truth was Quint had no hope of defending himself from the three brutes who'd decided that it was his day to be hazed—no physical hope, at least. Luckily, he'd always known that he could cause things to move, to twist and turn, to suddenly fall at opportune times. At home, he'd used these magical gifts to stop runaway sheep from straying too far from the flock. One time, he prevented his father from falling into a well by causing the cover to snap shut. It was a fairly simple matter to reach out and drop a wall banner on the head of one attacker, suddenly undo another's boot laces, and cause the last to trip, fall, and break his arm. He liked to think of it as extending his own clumsiness to others. Quint's talents (and his magnanimity) did not endear him to his instructors.

So Quintorius has a built-in form of plot armor in what appears to be a natural talent for rewriting fate at a small scale.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Considering that both Tamiyo and Lukka got taken out, and we've seen a new planeswalker spark up, I'm starting to suspect there is no magic cure for Compleation and we're gonna get a fresh batch of replacement walkers for the phyrexianized walkers.

What I'm saying is Planeswalker Thalia let's go.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

PlasticAutomaton posted:

What I'm saying is Planeswalker Thalia let's go.

Planeswalker Thalia 1WW

+1 Until your next turn, noncreature spells cost 1 more to cast.
-2 Put a 2/1 white soldier creature token with first strike onto the battlefield.
-6 Target opponent gets an emblem with "permanents you own enter the battlefield tapped."

Starting loyalty 3

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Strixhaven owned, I wish Zimone had become a serious regular

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I didn’t particularly care for the setting. Them playing around with new identities for the color pairs was kinda cool, though. And limited ruled, of course.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Planeswalker Thalia 1WW

-2 Put a 2/1 white soldier creature token with first strike onto the battlefield.
-6 Target opponent gets an emblem with "permanents you own enter the battlefield tapped."

Starting loyalty 3

Insufficiently annoying since you can respond to the activation with removal. Needs to be static to really be Thalia.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

Planeswalker Thalia 1WW

Starting loyalty 3

Planeswalker Thalia would honestly be a great replacement for the Gideon beatstick-walker archetype they haven't really used since he ate it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Planeswalker Thalia would honestly be a great replacement for the Gideon beatstick-walker archetype they haven't really used since he ate it.

We need more Sarkhan dragon transformations. :colbert:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Lollin at this awesome cosplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoUz1vwpPsI

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Random rules question, if i'm using geyadrone's +1 ability. Does the whole ability fizzle if the targeted corruption counter creature becomes invalid?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
More like bound to ruin everything he touches

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Random rules question, if i'm using geyadrone's +1 ability. Does the whole ability fizzle if the targeted corruption counter creature becomes invalid?

Yes.
If you have no target, you'll still do the drain, but if you do it with a target and that target becomes illegal, nothing else happens. You added one loyalty counter to do nothing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

You should warn people before linking to him!!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That and bolting Tarmogoyfs is why modern players of a certain era know a lot about state-based effects

This came up in a game of Commander yesterday - a player had some Pest tokens with "When this dies, you gain one life", and blocked in a way that left him at 0 life with lifegain triggers on the stack. He thought he'd stay alive, but he lost. He didn't mind because he was going to lose very soon anyway.

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

Re Conquest, is this now a popular enough format that it should be added to the list of formats in the OP? If so, I'd be happy to edit in a blurb.

There are dozens of us... DOZENS.

To be serious, it has caught on quite a bit in Brazil, but I think most English language games are played in existing playgroups and don't get reported/streamed/talked about.

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes.
If you have no target, you'll still do the drain, but if you do it with a target and that target becomes illegal, nothing else happens. You added one loyalty counter to do nothing.

This is also why Radiant Performer is awesome with Geyadrone

Jobert fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 21, 2023

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

You should warn people before linking to him!!

People don't like PleasantKenobi? I thought he was like a british version of the Prof but not as genial and likeable...

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think "we spent as much dev effort as an entire set on a single card" is the feel good story this guy thinks it is when the card in question is something wizards had to apologize for because their playtesters scooped every time it resolved instead of trying to actually play against it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

People don't like PleasantKenobi? I thought he was like a british version of the Prof but not as genial and likeable...

It’s fine. You can’t please everyone and there isn’t a point to trying. I thought it was funny and I also find it funny that a wotc employee would not let the customer in.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

imweasel09 posted:

I don't think "we spent as much dev effort as an entire set on a single card" is the feel good story this guy thinks it is when the card in question is something wizards had to apologize for because their playtesters scooped every time it resolved instead of trying to actually play against it.

It is a feel-good story when it's "a couple of passionate engineers did the bulk of the work in their 20% time".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the article's meant to honor the work that got put in by those developers to implement a card that otherwise wouldn't be on arena, especially since it's a card people consider ironic and that earlier in this very thread people said they'd hate it if it didn't get on the client. even if you hate the card it's nice to see the effort highlighted imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Rootha, 2 extra mana and Approach the Second Sun wins on the spot, right?