Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I feel like this has been asked before in here and the answer was "LOL No" but:

Are there any non-powered grease guns that aren't a pain in the rear end to use? Or is it just the nature of that kind of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I used a lever gun (vs pistol grip) with a longer hose and an end that clips onto the zerk.

clip it on, use both hands to operate grease gun.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

MRC48B posted:

I used a lever gun (vs pistol grip) with a longer hose and an end that clips onto the zerk.

clip it on, use both hands to operate grease gun.

This. An 18-24” hose plus a coupler make manual grease guns far less painful and messy to use.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's the loving grease cartridge and priming the pump and getting it to stay primed that are the source of 99% of my grease gun based rage. I have yet to find one that isn't a candidate for tools most sworn at.

Even my air powered ones have taken to pissing me off.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I'm sure theres some foolproof procedure for getting it to prime every time. But I don't know what that is. :eng99:

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
i have a dewalt grease gun, it's still in the box

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MRC48B posted:

I'm sure theres some foolproof procedure for getting it to prime every time. But I don't know what that is. :eng99:

It only works if you own 2, 3, or 5 grease guns. Or more, I suppose. They'll be prime every time then.

I'm sorry, I had to

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Salami Surgeon posted:

Anyone have suggestions on decent flexible multimeter leads? The PVC ones that came with my cheap Fluke are stiff and lovely to use. Tempted to just roll the dice on some random silicon leads off Amazon.

Depends how much you want to cheap out (disclaimer: don't cheap out on test equipment blah blah) but these have been good: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003728426831.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the soldering advice.

kastein posted:

It's the loving grease cartridge and priming the pump and getting it to stay primed that are the source of 99% of my grease gun based rage. I have yet to find one that isn't a candidate for tools most sworn at.

Even my air powered ones have taken to pissing me off.
Priming is the problem with those powered ones too. I had to do a new Milwaukee out of the box and gently caress me, what a pain in the rear end. Once it was primed though, it was great.

As for general, quality manual ones. Tough to be Lincoln. They're good. Don't bother with their powered ones though. Overpriced for what they are.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the soldering advice.

Something I greatly regret was not taking care of my lungs when soldering, flux fumes are nasty. Please consider a fume extractor. I greatly prefer the ones with the flexi trunk over the ones that are a PC fan with a bit of carbon filter thrown in front of it. EG https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZHH5H7N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

boxen posted:

I feel like this has been asked before in here and the answer was "LOL No" but:

Are there any non-powered grease guns that aren't a pain in the rear end to use? Or is it just the nature of that kind of thing?

I have at least learned this, the cheapest ones suck and partly because you can't force the grease down, it's only the spring. slightly less than cheaper and you can lock the handle in and force it which I think helps prime it but maybe I'm a fool.

I also got the flexzilla coupler and I like it. Get that. Plus a lever style so you can rock it one handed.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

this is correct

i have the 9104R kit at work and it rules. i use it way more than i thought i would. but if i had to just pick one tip instead of the whole kit, i would go for the really long skinny ones. i usually leave those on the meter, anyway.

Kafouille posted:

I like my TS-80 but a better choice right now is probably the Pinecil

https://pine64.com/product/pinecil-smart-mini-portable-soldering-iron/

I don't really see the point of full on stations when those are avaliable, being able to use it anywhere with just a powerbank in your pocket is really nice.

really good, fast temperature regulation. you might be thinking "why do i care if it heats up in 5 seconds or 50 seconds" but that's not the point (though it is convenient). being able to dump a ton of power into a relatively large chunk of copper, without overshooting and overheating when it gets there, makes doing usually-tricky stuff like desoldering caps from a power plane relatively doable. just generally not having to wait for the junction to come up to temp once you touch it with your tip is super nice. if all you're doing is wire-to-wire under your dash, you don't need a metcal station. but i love mine.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
A Pinecil heats up in 6 seconds and I've seen the very similar ts100 use the same tips interchangeably with the soldering stations you're describing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: It's actually in stock now! :siren:
$10 shipping to EU. I already have a TS-100 but I'll think about it...

Kafouille posted:

I like my TS-80 but a better choice right now is probably the Pinecil

https://pine64.com/product/pinecil-smart-mini-portable-soldering-iron/

I don't really see the point of full on stations when those are avaliable, being able to use it anywhere with just a powerbank in your pocket is really nice.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Cat Hatter posted:

A Pinecil heats up in 6 seconds and I've seen the very similar ts100 use the same tips interchangeably with the soldering stations you're describing.

They do use really similar cartridge style tips. Heater, tip, and feedback are all located super close,good thermal path etc. The selection is a little smaller in their particular tip size, but they are good and very affordable. Not the EXACT same tips as all stations, I doubt anyone would expect that. Definitely not the curie point style metcal ones. They seem to come in at 65W for the ts100 and 88W for the pinecil. I've definitely noticed the difference running a 120W station, but the only place I've NEEDED it is on some THICK copper 6-8 layer boards with 2oz on the outside and 1oz on the inside. I doubt "I'm learning to solder" level of experience is going to run into that too much. With one tip and a power adapter a pinecil will be in the $60 dollar ish region shipped. Maybe a few really difficult joints here or there with the "limited" heat output, but you can usually get away with supplementing heat from say a hot air gun or something to tide you over.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Commodore_64 posted:

They do use really similar cartridge style tips. Heater, tip, and feedback are all located super close,good thermal path etc. The selection is a little smaller in their particular tip size, but they are good and very affordable. Not the EXACT same tips as all stations, I doubt anyone would expect that. Definitely not the curie point style metcal ones. They seem to come in at 65W for the ts100 and 88W for the pinecil. I've definitely noticed the difference running a 120W station, but the only place I've NEEDED it is on some THICK copper 6-8 layer boards with 2oz on the outside and 1oz on the inside. I doubt "I'm learning to solder" level of experience is going to run into that too much. With one tip and a power adapter a pinecil will be in the $60 dollar ish region shipped. Maybe a few really difficult joints here or there with the "limited" heat output, but you can usually get away with supplementing heat from say a hot air gun or something to tide you over.

That's good to hear. I watched a video Louis Rossmann did about the ts100 that started out sorta "what the hell is this toy" and ended up "I have a new recommendation for people getting into this profession instead of Chinese hakko clones" where he took one of his tips and put it into the ts100...but if I'd just said "they even use the same tips" then it would turn out the pinecil has some proprietary design. I just wanted to point out that these types of irons aren't some RadioShack Weller, and maybe the ergonomics could be slightly better but unless you're trying to solder jumper cables to a battleship or something you probably won't need a station unless your job is paying for it anyway.

Also, I wouldn't even bother with the power supply. I have one I never use because even sitting at a table tearing my hair out for hours it's just easier to plug into one of the Bosch batteries that came with my drill than have an actual cord plugged into the wall. Unless you're the one person that doesn't have a decent battery lying around you can repurpose, that is.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Cat Hatter posted:

That's good to hear. I watched a video Louis Rossmann did about the ts100 that started out sorta "what the hell is this toy" and ended up "I have a new recommendation for people getting into this profession instead of Chinese hakko clones" where he took one of his tips and put it into the ts100...but if I'd just said "they even use the same tips" then it would turn out the pinecil has some proprietary design. I just wanted to point out that these types of irons aren't some RadioShack Weller, and maybe the ergonomics could be slightly better but unless you're trying to solder jumper cables to a battleship or something you probably won't need a station unless your job is paying for it anyway.

Also, I wouldn't even bother with the power supply. I have one I never use because even sitting at a table tearing my hair out for hours it's just easier to plug into one of the Bosch batteries that came with my drill than have an actual cord plugged into the wall. Unless you're the one person that doesn't have a decent battery lying around you can repurpose, that is.

Guess I was totally talking out if my rear end, they ARE electrically compatible with Hakko t12 tips, just normal Hakko ones are comically long compared to the ones made for it. Some enterprising hobbyists make handle adapters to cover the extra length.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Depends how much you want to cheap out (disclaimer: don't cheap out on test equipment blah blah) but these have been good: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003728426831.html

Thanks, that's exactly what I need. It's a Fluke 101 that I use for low voltage diag. I don't want to spend as much on leads as the meter cost when I'm only using it for quick checking.

I'll keep probemaster.com bookmarked for when I need real test leads.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Budget end probemaster leads are like :20bux:

but if you're under 20v and an amp, I guess.

With a lot of things made of plastic, you can literally feel the price difference.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Or get some silicone leads from eBay. I have probemaster leads and use them occasionally, but modular test leads with silicone wire from eBay work really well.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Anyone ever made a warrenty claim against Wera? My 10mm Joker wrench is screwed. I want to know if its worth approx $30 to mess with. I did not abuse it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

EvellSnoats posted:

Anyone ever made a warrenty claim against Wera? My 10mm Joker wrench is screwed. I want to know if its worth approx $30 to mess with. I did not abuse it.

I had a couple lasertip screwdrivers that wore the lasertip down and they sent me new ones with little drama. Just proof of purchase and stuff.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm at a point where I own a house again(so I'll need to do dumb house work) and am doing more work on cars so I'm looking at locking myself into a decent power tool ecosystem. Are the big names all still good choices at whatever you can get into for the least amount of money?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I personally own Bosch, but if I were to get behind something from scratch I'd probably go M12 team red (Milwaukee).

The nut fucker M18 is great and all, but I just find 18 bigger than needed and the 12 is the sweet spot with a great ecosystem.

Keep your eyes open for promos.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slidebite posted:

I personally own Bosch, but if I were to get behind something from scratch I'd probably go M12 team red (Milwaukee).

The nut fucker M18 is great and all, but I just find 18 bigger than needed and the 12 is the sweet spot with a great ecosystem.

Keep your eyes open for promos.

Agreed on the Milwaukee. I like the M18 stuff because it has more rear end. But the M12 stuff is just so capable and compact. I'm sure I've said it before, but my M12 Fuel Surge impact is my favorite power tool ever. It is fantastically strong, but has 3 speed settings and a variable trigger, so you can get pretty delicate or hammer away. Your choice.

The other commonly recommended option is Ryobi. I've got a lot of that stuff and it's good, just not as polished strong and tight as the Milwaukee stuff. But it's a damned sight cheaper.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

meatpimp posted:

Agreed on the Milwaukee. I like the M18 stuff because it has more rear end. But the M12 stuff is just so capable and compact. I'm sure I've said it before, but my M12 Fuel Surge impact is my favorite power tool ever. It is fantastically strong, but has 3 speed settings and a variable trigger, so you can get pretty delicate or hammer away. Your choice.

I was about to post the same thing. It's lighter and quieter than my m18 impact and I haven't gotten the m12 in a situation that I felt like I needed more power. I'm about to hang a small bathrooms worth of drywall and fiberboard with it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm on Team Teal but Milwaukee or DeWalt are supposedly good (or Hilti I suppose)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
im still team red and if you need deals there's a permathread for team red deals on garagejournal

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I would probably go with Ryobi or Milwaukee depending on budget. Ryobi is decent, cheep, and has a huge selection. Milwaukee is Milwaukee. I like my Bosch and Kobalt stuff, but I've had two (compact) Bosch drills burn out on me and Kobalt is all brushless and has the best warranty I've seen* but they could just stop existing at any time.

*Officially at least. I burned up a Milwaukee super sawzall and they fixed it for free even though it was well out of warranty.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

im still team red and if you need deals there's a permathread for team red deals on garagejournal

I'll have to keep an eye on this. I'll look at some Ryobi stuff as well but definitely don't have an issue spending more on what are better quality things.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

IMO, as someone who should have started with Milwaukee M12 or M18, if you're going to be doing mostly car work start with M18 and if you need certain things they don't sell, or you don't want to spend a premium on a pro grade tool of that type, you can get a M18 battery to Ryobi one+ tool adapter on eBay for a whopping $18 shipped right now. That way you only have one charging and battery ecosystem but can buy cheaper one+ tools off the shelf at big orange. For example I wouldn't spend $129 on a M18 angle grinder but I've been very happy with my $60 one+ angle grinder for the occasional junkyard trip cutting hardened truck axle ubolts and such. I wouldn't spend $249 on the M18 caulking gun, but love my $60 one+ caulking gun so much I kept it after the first project when I'd intended to be very careful keeping it clean and return it the next day.

Cheap tools for light duty and occasional use stuff, with an adapter to run them off the pro grade stuff for jobs where that really matters. Have your cake and eat it too.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm surprised your junkyard lets you bring an angle grinder.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

For home use I've been pretty pleased with Ryobi. There are stupid cheap deals that come up from time to time so I'm swimming in batteries. The amount of tools and variety is insane in their ecosystem.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm surprised your junkyard lets you bring an angle grinder.

Depending on the day I feel like I can bring whatever fits in the Milwaukee bag. They either don't look or don't look well. I also probably and benefitting from white privilege and maybe even pretty privilege.

Or clean privilege!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

StormDrain posted:

Depending on the day I feel like I can bring whatever fits in the Milwaukee bag. They either don't look or don't look well. I also probably and benefitting from white privilege and maybe even pretty privilege.

Or clean privilege!

the official policy at pick n pull (at least the one time i asked) was that you couldn't have anything that throws sparks (so sawzall OK, angle grinder no), but in practice it's this. they almost never look, especially if you offer to open the bag/box

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Anyone who thinks a sawzall can't throw sparks has never seen me use one while angry. ANYTHING is a smoke machine if you use it correctly.

I have been told no with the angle grinder a few times, but I usually only bring it to yards where they know me already and don't give a poo poo what I do as long as I call the fork truck instead of flipping the cabs off their pickups myself with a farm jack. They did get a bit cross after I did that the second or third time.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

kastein posted:

Anyone who thinks a sawzall can't throw sparks has never seen me use one while angry. ANYTHING is a smoke machine if you use it correctly.

I have been told no with the angle grinder a few times, but I usually only bring it to yards where they know me already and don't give a poo poo what I do as long as I call the fork truck instead of flipping the cabs off their pickups myself with a farm jack. They did get a bit cross after I did that the second or third time.

"See? Because of me, now they have a sign"

Are you just the precursor to safety rules, or are you also the guy making GBS threads in the backseats of junkyard cars too?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm not the precursor to rules, that's on the guy who was stealing cats out of minivans and got his rear end squashed jacking one up wrong. Their insurance company was very unhappy with them for allowing jacks even though he used one that was in the van, which hadn't even been processed yet, so their new no jacks rule couldn't have prevented it anyways.

The junkyard has a bathroom, but I've definitely stepped in human poo poo in between rows before. That was an experience I don't want to repeat anytime soon.

Also, I've never set a car on fire in the junkyard, so... They don't care what tools I bring in. Because I know what I'm doing.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My M12 hackzall tucks right into the bottom of my tool bag and blends well with the other tools…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Jokes aside, was that guy in the parking lot? I've never been to a junkyard that doesn't already have all the cars up on blocks.