Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
this could be a great reality tv show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

gently caress all Amazon employees above the grunt labor force.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
i knew something was off the moment i felt sympathy for a landlord, of course turns out the point was to "help paying off her mortgage or whatever while I went on vacation"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Isn't this basically how Israeli settlers work? They just take over a Palestinian's house one day and passive-aggressively and aggressive-aggressively live there amongst the rightful owners until they can't take it and leave.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think they have guns too ?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i am harry posted:

gently caress all Amazon employees above the grunt labor force.

my one acquaintance at Amazon is a full-stack and makes 300k in texas. he's never cooked a day in his life and is the biggest manchild I know, just totally incapable the minute his fingers leave a keyboard

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

I think they have guns too ?

one weird tip

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1637964853095673861

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
hiring meta pinkertons for ingame detective work

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is there any writing on what happens to neoliberal outsourcing when they get to The Poorest Country and what that would mean for practical labor power there? or I guess the shell game is to enter a cycle of impoverishment and outsourcing in perpetual loops around the world

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Somehow, Ea-Nasir has returned.

one of my favorite things about doomsday econ is people can post something like this and everyone knows who Ea-Nasir is.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
pfft if you dont know about those ingots i dont want to talk

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
It's kind of more amazing she got to the point where she was trying to rent out property and didn't know about it. Squatters rights is like a misunderstood legal meme on the level of the mcdonald's coffee burn tort reform nonsense. I think p much everyone has heard a "horror story" about greedy tenants that won't leave and trash the place at the landlord's expense.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Orvin posted:

One of my coworkers had a two flat in Chicago, and did Air B&B for the second floor for awhile. He wouldn’t let anyone rent for over 2 weeks, as he didn’t want to come anywhere near the one month tenants rights thing. And that was like 5 years ago.

The funny part is thats not how things work in Chicago and the second you have someone in an Airbnb there they can live there for free forever if they know what they're doing (no one knows what they're doing). The police/sheriffs will just say go to court about it we're not gonna give a poo poo

Although the really aggressive ones eventually end up with criminal charges but I'm not sure how that actually goes down
https://www.beverlyreview.net/news/community_news/article_d36c3ed8-a2cc-11e7-8acb-abf72f31d15d.html
https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/second-man-convicted-of-felony-charges-in-squatter-scheme

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 01:36 on Mar 21, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

not allowing landlords to have the power to physically evict people idea is a good idea

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
squatters rights is the right to have an empty rack when you walk into the gym

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1637974976878854151?t=GyDFtUyZ6kwYxD4KVv_KWg&s=19

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i too have successfully defended carried interest

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

not allowing landlords to have the power to physically evict people idea is a good idea

Landlords should have to have mandatory CLEs about how they aren't allowed to change the locks, cut off utilities, keep client deposits in their own accounts instead of commingling etc

My dad took huge advantage of his tenant one year, the guy just wanted to have a couple hundred chickens and my dad tricked him into delivering some lambs in the dead of winter when it hit -30F. I would have said gently caress off . Eventually that guy moved out
His new tenant is a hot hippie lady who keeps a couple thousand bees on the path and it's freaky to see them swarm

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1637914864139005952?s=20

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I sold my stocks right before everything looked like it was going to implode at the very beginning of covid, and then they turned the money printers on full blast and I missed out on one of the biggest bull runs in history and got owned.

:same:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/hatemdhiab/status/1637973174775324672?s=20

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

:same: sold everything in February of 2020. gloated when everything tanked. then lol lmao here’s a couple trillion dollars and oops I missed out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

God I can't wait for Wednesday.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fools, do not attempt to outsmart number! number will always have the last laugh

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

We want free money abloobloobloo

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Landlords should have to have mandatory CLEs about how they aren't allowed to change the locks, cut off utilities, keep client deposits in their own accounts instead of commingling etc

My dad took huge advantage of his tenant one year, the guy just wanted to have a couple hundred chickens and my dad tricked him into delivering some lambs in the dead of winter when it hit -30F. I would have said gently caress off . Eventually that guy moved out
His new tenant is a hot hippie lady who keeps a couple thousand bees on the path and it's freaky to see them swarm

happy for the bees

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Speaking of timing the market poorly I've just been doing bland 401k target date stuff for a while but have enough money kicking around to start up a roth ira and contribute for last year + this year too now, seems like if rates keep going up number might be stagnant or unhappy, if rates taper off or go down though number might Got my vanguard setup this weekend thanks to advice from BFC so it looks like after waiting a day or two for initial deposits to clear this might be my first foray in feeling directly responsible for my investments.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

PoundSand posted:

Speaking of timing the market poorly I've just been doing bland 401k target date stuff for a while but have enough money kicking around to start up a roth ira and contribute for last year + this year too now, seems like if rates keep going up number might be stagnant or unhappy, if rates taper off or go down though number might Got my vanguard setup this weekend thanks to advice from BFC so it looks like after waiting a day or two for initial deposits to clear this might be my first foray in feeling directly responsible for my investments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHUtHITYb94

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

I see this and think back to a few years ago when everyone was tripping over themselves to land the Amazon HQ 2 in their city and then the pandemic hit and no one went to the office. Now that the pandemic is declared over Amazon wants everyone's butt back in the office while simultaneously laying off tens of thousands of staff. Also remember how the lifted the base salary cap for most professionals by like $200k a year back.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rip Testes posted:

I see this and think back to a few years ago when everyone was tripping over themselves to land the Amazon HQ 2 in their city and then the pandemic hit and no one went to the office. Now that the pandemic is declared over Amazon wants everyone's butt back in the office while simultaneously laying off tens of thousands of staff. Also remember how the lifted the base salary cap for most professionals by like $200k a year back.

Amazon stopped construction on their HQ2 in Virginia lol

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/4/23624965/amazon-suspends-hq2-construction-headquarters-virginia

I hope they never start again and it rots into the earth like all those lovely speculative housing developments in 2008 Arizona.

Apr 7, 2003

It would be extremely funny if there were no clawback clauses on what they got to build HQ2 there and they just never finish it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/4/23624965/amazon-suspends-hq2-construction-headquarters-virginia

I hope they never start again and it rots into the earth like all those lovely speculative housing developments in 2008 Arizona.

aoc is off the hook

Apr 7, 2003

For sale: Hard hats, never worn

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Rip Testes posted:

I don't remember where I read it, but someone suggested that Amazon got exactly what it needed out of that: vacuuming up free infrastructure information from the cities that were rushing to kiss Amazon's rear end for their new HQ.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Um, so the Amazon HQ stuff is old-ish news, but regarding that speculative housing in AZ… most of it was completed (by the banks), sold by the banks (for a profit) or otherwise rented for awhile (at a profit) and then sold as the market rebounded (for a major profit), usually by the banks.

Very little in AZ actually was left to rot, because the banks happily went after everyone’s assets where they could.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

It would be extremely funny if there were no clawback clauses on what they got to build HQ2 there and they just never finish it.

ah, the foxconn approach

i completely forgot about the naked HQ2 scam. just pathetic snivelling weasels pleading for daddy bezos to come to their lovely rear end town and spray piss all over them as they offer up every dime in their coffer

Apr 7, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Very little in AZ actually was left to rot,

unfortunate

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abner Assington posted:

uBlock Origin stopped working a while ago and the Twitch-specific ones are kinda wonky/don't work well.

This.

I've used Alternate player for twitch.tv on firefox for a while now without issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/economics/status/1637978912377405440
https://twitter.com/KobeissiLetter/status/1637990009436340224
lmao