Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

What's the worst piece of Doctor Who media ever produced?

I think we can find worse, but it helps to establish a baseline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ege9lQecazo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

quote:

Even the BBC itself refused to broadcast the song on its radio stations on the grounds of its poor quality. Levine himself later told The Guardian, "It was an absolute balls-up fiasco. It was pathetic and bad and stupid. It tried to tell the Doctor Who history in an awful high-energy song. It almost ruined me."

quote:

Levine admitted that it had been conceived by John Nathan-Turner's partner Gary Downie "in a drunken moment".

:laffo:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Guaranteed though that if Doctor in Distress had somehow been a success you know Levine would be taking all the credit for it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Well it ain't no Doctorin The Tardis or Doctor, that's for sure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-bGlNP_BlY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjRjb3Dfw54

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I think we can find worse, but it helps to establish a baseline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ege9lQecazo

I have never been able to listen to this in full...

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Big Finish did a few shorts with Eric Roberts as The Master on Youtube, and those worked, because Eric Roberts can basically sell anything, no matter how silly. Or that little live action short they did with Lisa Bowerman as Bernice Summerfield.

They felt like they were at least taking them seriously. This doesn't work, and has written off what sounded like an interesting project from the press release. Oh well, at least Once and Future will hopefully be better.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ooh fifty posts must be some juicy news.... Oh...

Oh dear

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dabir posted:

Nekromanteia is in the running, surely?

I was gonna say that Doctor Who/Eastenders crossover, but only because Nekromanteia is so bad that my mind usually forms a scab around the memory of its existence in order to protect me, and you just ripped that off :gonk:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I would say A Fix with Sontarans, but that is improved by Janet Fielding saying “it’s hideous! It’s revolting!” when Savile’s face appears on the TARDIS screen.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

TinTower posted:

Eh, canning completed projects is more of a WB thing than a Mouse thing.

Given how essential Loki is to the current big story arc of the films, they’re probably doing a bunch of rescheduling than outright cancellation.

Yep you're right - I just skimmed an article on my way out the door, so hadn't even read it. Yknow, like a good rumor spreading internet denizen.

I totally forgot there was a tie in to the after credits thing, because I walked out before it played and forgot to google what it was.

And my bad, I thought this was a BF sponsored deal. Well in that case, it is even worse - they CAN do better. If his goal is to pull in former viewers, OK -but this type of deal is not going to help new viewers one bit, which seems a bad call IMO.

Jerusalem posted:

I was gonna say that Doctor Who/Eastenders crossover, but only because Nekromanteia is so bad that my mind usually forms a scab around the memory of its existence in order to protect me, and you just ripped that off :gonk:

This the one with the nausea-inducing camera spinning?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Speaking of The Twin Dilemma, thread regulars might remember a while back I was making regular posts about my marathon to watch all classic surviving shows as well as the books I’ve been reading.

The Twin Dilemma was so awful it ground my marathon to a halt. Admittedly the show isn’t exactly brilliant by this point but this serial was just so bad it took considerable effort to get through it. Where to start? The story is meh, the acting is atrocious even by the standards of typical Doctor Who guest actors, the sets look astonishingly cheap even by the standards of typical Doctor Who sets of the era, the Doctor’s new characterisation badly misfires, and it comes right on the heels of one of the shows best serials which serves only to amplify its flaws even more.

They should have just ended the season with the Caves of Androzani and then gone straight into Attack of the Cybermen. While this serial is hardly a masterpiece (why go back to Telos if you’re not going to even attempt to replicate the iconic look of the tombs?), it is at least fun to watch, and has some great guest actors in the form of Maurice Colbourne, Brian Glover and Terry Molloy.

Eventually I was able to force myself through it and am now on Vengeance on Varos.

My book run was temporarily halted by me making an effort to finally finish reading Dune, which was really good, and I’ve now dived head first back in starting with Revelation of the Daleks. There is some whiplash coming off the heels of Frank Herbert, but so far Eric Saward is taking full advantage of the medium and that always sits well with me.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

McGann posted:

And my bad, I thought this was a BF sponsored deal. Well in that case, it is even worse - they CAN do better. If his goal is to pull in former viewers, OK -but this type of deal is not going to help new viewers one bit, which seems a bad call IMO.

As someone else pointed out already, it's kind of stupid to push this as a cross-media "event", because the UK already has a bit of a financial crisis going on, so people aren't necessarily going to have the disposable income available to buy all the comics, audios, etc. necessary to keep up with whatever the hell's going on. And then to drop that video to promote it? Yeah, good luck getting people to buy your poo poo after seeing that.

I'm a bit torn; on the one hand this smacks heavily of RTD trying to do what Disney does with Marvel (and tried to do with Star Wars), and assume that the DW fanbase will just buy up any old slop so long as it has the DW name attached to it, which I think is quite cynical indeed...but, on the other hand, the people who do buy any old slop as long as it has their favorite brand or IP slathered all over it are usually the worst kind of fans, so I'm perfectly fine with them throwing their money away on a bunch of crap. :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Well, we can all easily get off the fence now and declare Doom’s Day to be good

https://twitter.com/ianlevine/status/1637849699318222851?s=46

(someone post the gif)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

TinTower posted:

Well, we can all easily get off the fence now and declare Doom’s Day to be good

https://twitter.com/ianlevine/status/1637849699318222851?s=46

(someone post the gif)

I think this is more of a "worst person you know just made a good point" kind of situation :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

That would require Levine to make a good point to begin with.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

TinTower posted:

That would require Levine to make a good point to begin with.

I mean, I agree with him on the "lovely multimedia" part of it

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Despite its flaws, Time Lord Victorious actually told a story that people are interested in. The execution was patchy, but it had multiple Doctors, Daleks, did some interesting lore stuff, and experimented with an interlocking story.

The actress seems to have been directed to play her performance as too...kiddy? It feels like a bumper for an special on CBBC or something, not the start of a crossover event.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 20, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

McGann posted:

This the one with the nausea-inducing camera spinning?

It's a Big Finish audio that was so bad that (I believe, could just be a rumor) Peter Davison told Big Finish that he would walk out rather than ever do a story by that author ever again. My review of it is here but the short version is that it's nasty, pathetic, nonsensical AND sexually aggressive in deeply disturbing ways. One of the cliffhangers is (vile poo poo ahead) literally a character going,"Welp, think I'll just rape this companion now!" followed by several minutes in the following episode of another character lambasting him for the vile thing he just did to the companion... but don't worry folks, it turns out that when she fought him off from his rape attempt, he "only" beat the everloving poo poo out of her instead!

Anyway that character gets the "happy" ending and is treated like a protagonist in the last part of the final episode.

Minuet in Hell often gets rightly poo poo on, but it's kind of endearingly bad in its own weird way. Like, it's awful, but it's kind of hilarious how awful it is. Nekromanteia is just nasty.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Confusedslight posted:

The torchwood stuff are the best big finish audios they've done for the last several years. Atleast in my opinion.
TAAAARCHwouyd ended up in a weird place considering what happens to its main characters. Children of Earth was a much better jumping off point than Miracle Day

Time to post this baby again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqFFFgdo1Zc

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Folks, that’s not even the worst Doctor Who production value of the last twenty years.

Whole lotta stones being thrown around in this thread devoted to a show where bubble wrap was once heavily featured in an otherwise very well-regarded story.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The episode the has the older lady saying "Benny!" Every few minutes is definitely in the top five of worst doctor who things I have ever consumed.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Folks, that’s not even the worst Doctor Who production value of the last twenty years.

Whole lotta stones being thrown around in this thread devoted to a show where bubble wrap was once heavily featured in an otherwise very well-regarded story.

This would be an acceptable argument if there hadn't been a fair amount of media hype about how DW was getting a much bigger budget and higher production values due to the co-production/co-funding/co-whatever agreement with Disney.

Sure, all of us goons here know that the budget in this regard is actually meant for the actual show itself, so we're pretty confident that the actual show will (hopefully) look much better when it airs. But Joe or Jane Average, who's online but not terminally so like us goons here? They're gonna see that and think it's representative of what the upcoming series is going to be like. In that context, it's absolutely unacceptable that the trailer was allowed to be released looking like that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Pretty sure the Sea Devil effects in last year's special were more harmful to the story being told -- the dubbing in that story is atrocious -- than Doom's Zoom background.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This would be an acceptable argument if there hadn't been a fair amount of media hype about how DW was getting a much bigger budget and higher production values due to the co-production/co-funding/co-whatever agreement with Disney.

Sure, all of us goons here know that the budget in this regard is actually meant for the actual show itself, so we're pretty confident that the actual show will (hopefully) look much better when it airs. But Joe or Jane Average, who's online but not terminally so like us goons here? They're gonna see that and think it's representative of what the upcoming series is going to be like. In that context, it's absolutely unacceptable that the trailer was allowed to be released looking like that.

Joe or Jane Average are never going to see that ad because it was posted to Twitter. It’s fine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Joe or Jane Average are never going to see that ad because it was posted to Twitter. It’s fine.

It was Pip and Jane, not Joe! Also they made the ad.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

The Pip and Jane: Showrunners alternate timeline claims another victim

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Infinitum posted:

What's the worst piece of Doctor Who media ever produced?

it's definitely Nekromanteia

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Isn't there some pretty awful stuff in the new adventure novels?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Confusedslight posted:

Isn't there some pretty awful stuff in the new adventure novels?

Perhaps, but a lot of that's been overstated by reactionary fans who were freaked out by the idea that ~*sex*~ might be happening in their precious Doccy Whos. The NAs are fairly lefty and progressive tbh. Certainly for the time, perhaps for now. There's an awkward story where someone -- not the someone people are probably thinking of -- just wholesale makes up First People culture for the sake of a story, but that's the only one that jumps to mind.

But there's also an extended attempt to grapple with Who's history of colonialism, and a lot of stories that directly talk about racism, cultural imperialism, fascism, the intersection of conservative politics and pop culture, revolutionary politics and activism, etc. It's not remotely cuddly about it, but it's very present throughout the series, both the NAs and the EDAs.

For my money BF's probably produced the worst stories -- Black and White, Exile, Nekromanteia all leap to mind, and that First Doctor story about evil space parasites (non-white immigrants). They've got a history of casting white actors in non-white roles in stories at least as recent as 2015, and a few recent stories have really struggled to grapple with fascism, but that's more them falling into liberalism than anything else.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 21, 2023

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Perhaps, but a lot of that's been overstated by reactionary fans who were freaked out by the idea that ~*sex*~ might be happening in their precious Doccy Whos. The NAs are fairly lefty and progressive tbh. Certainly for the time, perhaps for now. There's an awkward story where someone -- not the someone people are probably thinking of -- just wholesale makes up First People culture for the sake of a story, but that's the only one that jumps to mind.

But there's also an extended attempt to grapple with Who's history of colonialism, and a lot of stories that directly talk about racism, cultural imperialism, fascism, the intersection of conservative politics and pop culture, revolutionary politics and activism, etc. It's not remotely cuddly about it, but it's very present throughout the series, both the NAs and the EDAs.

For my money BF's probably produced the worst stories -- Black and White, Exile, Nekromanteia all leap to mind, and that First Doctor story about evil space parasites (non-white immigrants). They've got a history of casting white actors in non-white roles in stories at least as recent as 2015, and a few recent stories have really struggled to grapple with fascism, but that's more them falling into liberalism than anything else.

Can you explain why Black and White is bad? I don’t think I’ve caught up that far but I dimly remember it on my list. Actually when I first read it I thought you meant Flip-Flop, which is also loving heinous.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Can you explain why Black and White is bad? I don’t think I’ve caught up that far but I dimly remember it on my list. Actually when I first read it I thought you meant Flip-Flop, which is also loving heinous.

Oh yeah, Flip Flop is genuinely horrible.

Black and White has a spectacularly poorly handled sexual assault subplot. Ace is chased around a feasting hall by Beowulf, who clearly intends to gently caress her against her will. The attempted rape is never mentioned again, but by the end of the story Ace is suddenly making the claim that the guy's "not that bad". I don't think they really even speak to each other between those scenes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ah, the ol' "nobody really uses the Internet anyway" defense :rolleyes:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Pretty sure the Sea Devil effects in last year's special were more harmful to the story being told -- the dubbing in that story is atrocious -- than Doom's Zoom background.

Didn’t the animatronics in the Sea Devil costumes go wrong, forcing them to use CGI? With that and the missing 15-20 minutes of story, there’s a story waiting to be told whenever we get that Collection bluray set in 2035 or whenever…

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Finally watched this, and :stare:

It's a trailer that does the exact opposite of what a trailer is meant to do, in that it's put me off ever wanting to see the thing it's advertising. Impressive!

(Maybe Quirky Quippington the universe's greatest assassin will actually turn out to be an all-time classic DW character. But I'm willing to wait for the judgement of history on that.)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Y'all are saying "This looks like poo poo!" and "What is this, a 90s FMV game?" like it's a bad thing!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Payndz posted:

Finally watched this, and :stare:

It's a trailer that does the exact opposite of what a trailer is meant to do, in that it's put me off ever wanting to see the thing it's advertising. Impressive!

(Maybe Quirky Quippington the universe's greatest assassin will actually turn out to be an all-time classic DW character. But I'm willing to wait for the judgement of history on that.)

It's extremely bad, and much as I love Sooz I'm not sure how or why she wound up with this role

Here she is in her element (knowledge of recent UK politics helps):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG5gCg24DTQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ1a9NZyYcQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yjTuNXpu9k

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Ah, the ol' "nobody really uses the Internet anyway" defense :rolleyes:

People who view that teaser on youtube/twitter will eventually be a very small subset of the total audience that will end up watching the show, yes.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Nekromanteia is just nasty.

My bad! I *was* referring to the anniversary special with Eastenders - Dimensions in Time. But I am very familiar with Nekromanteia...but not familiar enough to have completely mixed up the author in my head. I'd been lodging it in with David Llewellyn in my memory, but google tells me it's Austin Atkinson. ***FIXED, Only Austin Atkinson sucks.

Edit: Turns out, my memory had incorrectly pegged Llewellyn for Atkinsons crimes.

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Oh wow, I also immediately thought Black and White = Flip Flop until seeing your reply. The one thing I remember the most about Flip Flop (Not touching the themes, just Audio) is how disgusting it sounded...at least I think that's the one. The effects were deliberately "gross."

Edit: Speaking of "Gross" - Exile. I haven't listened to it in years (for obvious reasons) but I don't recall if its misogynistic in context or just directly screams it out in the dialogue. I think the "old regen" voice in the head might be this though. All I remember is the burping.

McGann fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 22, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What did David Llewellyn do? I remember most of his scripts being basically fine or good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

What did David Llewellyn do? I remember most of his scripts being basically fine or good.

You know what, I just did a quick audit of his BF page and you're right - he has some bangers and personal faves of mine, nothing standing out as terrible. I had not only mistakenly had him in place of Atkinson in my memory, but I'd also attributed a lot of horrible works to him that don't even exist.

I smoke a lot of weed and have a few TBIs, that's my excuse.