Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Any opinions on Spire's End?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Don't think I've heard of that, what kind of game is it?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

bobvonunheil posted:

I picked up Bullet Star (the completely compatible sequel) and it's... fine?

I love the idea, but the actual mathematics of how the game progresses just seem to make it a foregone conclusion. You have the ability to clear, say, 10 bullets from your board each round, but each round there will be 15, then 16, then 17 bullets added to your board, so... you're doomed to lose, at the same rate as the other players, it just comes down to who randomly draws enough bullets that hit them first.

I'm simplifying a little. It's interesting at least, and the theme is fun - Jane Doe, Deertective always gets a laugh.

I mean yeah that is oversimplifying a fair bit. It assumes each player is going to be able to clear the same amount of bullets within the five minute time limit. Its only a forgone conclusion the same way playing Tetris with someone is, and this is doing stuff like giving players entirely different toolsets ontop of that.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 21, 2023

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
smh no one mentioning the best things pop up coop game Space Alert

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Snooze Cruise posted:

I mean yeah that is oversimplifying a fair bit. It assumes each player is going to be able to clear the same amount of bullets within the five minute time limit. Its only a forgone conclusion the same way playing Tetris with someone is, and this is doing stuff like giving players entirely different toolsets ontop of that.

Another thing is that I can't convince my friends to play it with the time limit, there's some neurodiversity there such that they have huge trouble with time pressure being placed on them and would find the entire experience unenjoyable.

Plus I played with Memory, who gets her full hand of cards at the start of the game and it's relatively easy to play optimally. I should dig it out again and try the other heroines.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Don't think I've heard of that, what kind of game is it?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/271754/spires-end

I think it has like, 15 endings? It looks good but IDK if anyone had any opinions ITT. I'm also still hemming and hawing this one

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/280748/escape-dark-sector

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
I have a group that meets most weekends. We usually play one "lite" game then settle in for a larger one.

Most recent weekend we got Elite(https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/326411/elite-epic-strategic-board-game) to the table.

Stay away. It is an absolute slog. The rulebook is garbage. There's way too much to do any given turn. And it still all comes down to dice rolls(granted you can change your odds by adding dice).
The game is played in 3 "rounds" but the 1st round doesn't even matter for end game points and it's the one which takes the longest. It's like they played Scythe and decided that there wasn't enough to do any given turn.

Granted we are a group that usually takes the over on any games suggested time but that was just absolute non-sense.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The TG feedback thread is very mad about our no KDM chat policy and the offensive OP and are asking for feedback from someone besides myself. This includes a non TG mod and an admin suggesting we change it to allowing chat about any offensive stuff about the game be hidden behind spoiler text. They seem to think the rule is some huge gatekeeing thing and are very salty.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4026756&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post530607626

This only came to light when they heard about the rule, no one came into the thread to complain about it or raise it as an issue.

yeah no one has ever complained about that in this thread

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Autodrop Monteur posted:

Underwater Cities plus the expansion was the first game to hit the table and boy, I'm still thinking about this game. It scratches an itch I didn't know I had! We didn't use all the modules, from what I can tell we didn't use the government contracts and the museum features. The other two tion going. Add in an island and some extra cards giving me points during production and I somehow managed to score first place. I fully expected to get last place, since it was my first time playing Underwater Cities.
I read up on strategies today and it seems people have strong opinions on the kelp strategy. I really want to play this game again and I was quite happy to find out you can play it for free on https://www.yucata.de/. Time to get in some solo games.
This was definitely my game of the weekend and I am considering purchasing it myself as well.

I've been one of the opinionated folks on UC's "kelp" strategy, posted a few times about it on BGG, played a couple dozen games of UC on yucata, placed 2nd in a UC tournament there, etc. People who talk about the "big kelp" strategy are, generally speaking, ignorant AF, usually Youtube reviewers or other 2-time players who think they know better than Suchy and his playtest teams after giving it an expert whirl... twice. "Wow. Look how powerful the strategy that gives you necessary food and VPs is. No strategy is better than that! How could the devs have missed this?!? ROFLHALIFAXHAMMERAMIRITE?"

...they're morons. Play the game a half-dozen times and you can realize some of the inherent weaknesses of big kelp and how to exploit the players who become dependent on it.

UC's one of my all-time favorite games -- just your mentioning it makes me want to log back onto Yucata and start giving it a whirl there again (I've been on a BGA kick lately). Let me know if you want a game (same login there) or to chat more about UC sometime.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Any opinions on Spire's End?

I've played through Spire's End once, and it was fine. A decent way to kill an afternoon but not great. I'm in the middle of a playthrough of Spire's End: Hildegard (the prequel that came out last year) and I'm finding it much more enjoyable, I would definitely recommend it over the original.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

jarofpiss posted:

It's almost like people who are most enthusiastic and uncritical about these kickstarter bloated behemoths are also the kinds of people to never actually come in and play and/or discuss it.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

Elysium posted:

Flashpoint Talk

Major Isoor posted:

More Flashpoint talk

Yeah, that is definitely true. Those actions were a huge contribution to the team, but my turns were pretty much set in stone. Great for people who aren't that experienced in board games I guess, makes them feel really useful to the group!
Like mentioned before, there's newer games that handle things pop up a lot better these days and I admit I was thinking about that while playing it. Flashpoint felt like an older game in design. Nevertheless, a game I'd still like to play with a broader audience.

Memnaelar posted:

Underwater Cities talk

As a new player I just kinda stumbled into kelp. I feel it's the same with people new to Dominion going for a big money strategy. I definitely intend to play some more to get some experience. I'll take you up on your offer and hit you up on Yucata once I got some free time!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've only played Underwater Cities a couple of times but it always felt that it was a better structured and interesting take on Terraforming Mars-style gameplay. Those sort of games aren't usually my cup of tea but I had a good time playing UC, so I'm glad that there's some discussion about the game still.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I liked underwater cities the first time I played it, a little less the second, much less the third, and now kinda don't want to play it again.

Which is honestly exactly the same path terraforming mars took for me, though I harbor less dislike for UC. I'm really sick of tableau builders other than Race. Maybe it's the deck you can't realistically see enough cards from? Whatever you'd call that kind of game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Elizabeth Cluppins posted:

No idea about the Bloodborne one, but the Dark Souls game is terrible. It feels like whoever designed the game believed that Dark Souls is about grinding easy encounters for extremely important character levels and made a game that very heavily incentivizes that as a playstyle. Boring, monotonous, and an unimpressive boss battler when you house-rule the previous part away..
Was searching for something on the Dark Souls game since it's made by the same company as the MHW board game, and I'm glad I didn't get Dark Souls now, although the MHW game does sound like they got rid of the mob-grinding.

Can you let me know what you didn't like about the boss battles in Dark Souls? I know some of the DNA of MHW was sourced from the Dark Souls game (f.ex. the nodal system of movement), so I'm really curious what the issues were in the prior games and if they might pop up in MHW as well, although the combat system at first glance is pretty different (since I think Dark Souls uses dice combat, for example).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

jarofpiss posted:

million dollar mack posted:

It's almost like people who are most enthusiastic and uncritical about these kickstarter bloated behemoths are also the kinds of people to never actually come in and play and/or discuss it.

I am still here reading this thread. This is not the thread to take potshots about this.
Take it to the TG feedback thread.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I decided to pick up Dune Imperium with the expansions after seeing some competitive online games. Looks pretty sweet.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Bloodborne minis game is great. Turns combat into a great optimisation puzzle and combat has the ebb and flow of souls games. Highly rate it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The End posted:

Bloodborne minis game is great. Turns combat into a great optimisation puzzle and combat has the ebb and flow of souls games. Highly rate it.

I watched a guy play the game and it looks like it could be interesting

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Bjay9 posted:

I have a group that meets most weekends. We usually play one "lite" game then settle in for a larger one.

Most recent weekend we got Elite(https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/326411/elite-epic-strategic-board-game) to the table.

Stay away. It is an absolute slog. The rulebook is garbage. There's way too much to do any given turn. And it still all comes down to dice rolls(granted you can change your odds by adding dice).
The game is played in 3 "rounds" but the 1st round doesn't even matter for end game points and it's the one which takes the longest. It's like they played Scythe and decided that there wasn't enough to do any given turn.

Granted we are a group that usually takes the over on any games suggested time but that was just absolute non-sense.

I looked at the BGG page for the game and still have no idea what the theme is or what it’s about. It sort of looks like someone tried to make some sort of engine game but forgot to add a theme. It looks like all the fiddly bits of terraforming mars but no flavor.

Edit: For an actual game write up, I finally got Dog Park to the table after not playing games for a few months. It will take a few more plays before I have a strong opinion of it but it’s a lot like parks + wingspan + isle of cats. There are a few key mechanics that play together:

1) Recruit up to 8 dogs to be walked over 4 rounds. Dogs each have abilities very similar to Wingspan birds. You spend victory points to bid on dogs so there’s a bluff/bid component and you have to think longterm ROI of each dog.

2) Walking dogs each round give victory points. Dogs that are unwalked cause you to lose points each round but you only have to walk a dog once time all game to not lose points.

3) The walking phase plays like Parks with less randomness to the layout.

4) There are random public and private objectives. The public objectives are always about having the most of each type of dog but with different values each game. The private objectives are more complex.

So lots of different interacting mechanics but the core gameplay loop is very simple and ways to teach. The game itself plays in a little over an hour when teaching and will probably play in under an hour with an experienced group. It initially feels like there might be too much randomness in the available dogs to build any sort of strategy that isn’t get lucky but the bidding mechanic might give you more control longterm.

The art style is great and if you know someone’s who likes Wingspan and is a dog person, they will love it. Probably a good gift game at least. I’ve gifted several wingspan and isle of cats over the years because they are generally well received by more casual groups. This probably fits the same niche but Dogs.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 21, 2023

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The End posted:

Yeah was reading about that one as well but Bloodborne as far as I can see was made by a different company. I do have to say that the combat just being a sort of puzzle greatly appeals to me, so would love to hear more details/analysis of how it plays out without me needing to read the rules.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Tekopo posted:

Yeah was reading about that one as well but Bloodborne as far as I can see was made by a different company. I do have to say that the combat just being a sort of puzzle greatly appeals to me, so would love to hear more details/analysis of how it plays out without me needing to read the rules.

I've got some spare time coming up in a couple days, I'll see if I can oblige you :)

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
The minis just look awesome and I see the various expansions what not going on sale all the time that provokes this urge to open my wallet and pour it out all over little miniature versions of my favourite games.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tekopo posted:

I don't know how you translate a Souls game into something that isn't horrible in BG format.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think you have to basically telescope into a specific subset of the Souls experience without trying to try to replicate the entire experience as a whole, while also being ready to accept that you have to make mechanical changes to the formula in order to exploit the advantages of a tabletop format versus a videogame. From the sounds of it, it does feel like the Bloodbourne board game managed to do this, and the Dark Souls one did not.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Which one was it that had players do the arduous task of replaying the same path over and over again until they won? That was def not the part of souls game that should be translated into a boardgame.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Crackbone posted:

I don't know how you translate a Souls game into something that isn't horrible in BG format.

Wracking my brain, I think that "Robo Rally" is the answer, which sounds insane, but try to follow my dumbass idea.

Dark Souls the videogame: It's all about reacting quickly and correctly when the game pops something you weren't expecting, and while AI is inherently somewhat predictable, the RNG is never 100% going to roll out the same way every time.

If you just throw everything on dice, you lose out the entire "skill" part of it. If you just have set actions you can do that always do the same thing, then it's going to be pretty simple to find the optimal action path for everything.

So instead if you drew a hand of possible dodges, attacks, moves, etc. you'd still have a skill part in playing the right ones of them, but the randomness of what you draw would keep things from being utterly predictable and trivially gameable.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Which one was it that had players do the arduous task of replaying the same path over and over again until they won? That was def not the part of souls game that should be translated into a boardgame.

Time Stories does this.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That sounds an awful lot like the MHW game :v:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Autodrop Monteur posted:

As a new player I just kinda stumbled into kelp. I feel it's the same with people new to Dominion going for a big money strategy. I definitely intend to play some more to get some experience. I'll take you up on your offer and hit you up on Yucata once I got some free time!

I think that's a great comparison. There are a few long threads on bgg that went into kelp being "overpowered" that have since quieted down as people have played the game more. I personally think it's one of the best tableau builders, if not the best, and will never turn down a game. I'll be there when you're feeling a game (although you might want to pm me as I probably randomly check yucata once every two weeks if I don't have an active game!)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

Wracking my brain, I think that "Robo Rally" is the answer, which sounds insane, but try to follow my dumbass idea.

Dark Souls the videogame: It's all about reacting quickly and correctly when the game pops something you weren't expecting, and while AI is inherently somewhat predictable, the RNG is never 100% going to roll out the same way every time.

If you just throw everything on dice, you lose out the entire "skill" part of it. If you just have set actions you can do that always do the same thing, then it's going to be pretty simple to find the optimal action path for everything.

So instead if you drew a hand of possible dodges, attacks, moves, etc. you'd still have a skill part in playing the right ones of them, but the randomness of what you draw would keep things from being utterly predictable and trivially gameable.

I don't think it sounds at all insane, some kind of action programming seems like a natural fit for a game with such heavy elements of timing and prediction. Maybe have the enemy AI deal the first card in its action sequence face up, so you occasionally get a tell to guide your reactions but still have to commit to actions without knowing what the enemy's followup is.

My kneejerk thought would have been something like Yomi, but if you're playing against a dummy deck you lose out on the prediction element and it turns into pure odds crunching. Which is still a skill element, but I don't think it would be very satisfying. Adding an action programming element wouldn't fundamentally change that but would add a more puzzle-y layer of action ordering that would probably have a better sense of accomplishment.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Chill la Chill posted:

I think this is Dark Souls: The Card Game. I played it a couple of weeks ago, wasn't really a fan.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Panzeh posted:

I decided to pick up Dune Imperium with the expansions after seeing some competitive online games. Looks pretty sweet.

I do not think you will be disappointed.

If you're eager to jump into things, I think you can start to play with core + Ix together at first a few times to get the hang of things if you don't want to just play core to start (IMO the most consistent changes Ix makes are making Spacing Guild more worthwhile chasing rep and changing early game Solari [cash] rush; the other changes [Ix tech] are randomized and not needed for victory).

Give it a few games before you layer Immortality on top of it all; that changes things significantly.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Admiralty Flag posted:

I do not think you will be disappointed.

If you're eager to jump into things, I think you can start to play with core + Ix together at first a few times to get the hang of things if you don't want to just play core to start (IMO the most consistent changes Ix makes are making Spacing Guild more worthwhile chasing rep and changing early game Solari [cash] rush; the other changes [Ix tech] are randomized and not needed for victory).

Give it a few games before you layer Immortality on top of it all; that changes things significantly.

Cool beans- yeah, from the gameplay i've seen and the stuff i've read, ix is vital to making the 4 player game interesting (there just ain't enough good things to be doing in base for 4 players). Thanks for the advice.

Elizabeth Cluppins
May 12, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Can you let me know what you didn't like about the boss battles in Dark Souls?

It just felt like an unremarkable dice chucker. You throw dice, position yourself on a node that results in the least potential harm to the group and hope that the enemy draws a relatively ineffective card. Hits, armor and dodging are all dice.
Equipment gives you additional actions and decisions to make and the death of any one player sends you back so you're going to want to split damage, but it's not much of a combat puzzle. Good gear and bad dice rolls can determine the end result.

The boss combat is serviceable and the only game of the type I've got :shrug:. I've been spoiled by dice-less games like Gloomhaven.

Steamforged Games released new core sets last year that have very significant rule changes so my opinions are out of date by now, but supposedly the game isn't much better. Also, they split as much of the game as possible in to backer exclusives and expansion modules. I've played the board game ~6 times and hate it with a passion.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Elizabeth Cluppins posted:

It just felt like an unremarkable dice chucker. You throw dice, position yourself on a node that results in the least potential harm to the group and hope that the enemy draws a relatively ineffective card. Hits, armor and dodging are all dice.
Equipment gives you additional actions and decisions to make and the death of any one player sends you back so you're going to want to split damage, but it's not much of a combat puzzle. Good gear and bad dice rolls can determine the end result.

The boss combat is serviceable and the only game of the type I've got :shrug:. I've been spoiled by dice-less games like Gloomhaven.

Steamforged Games released new core sets last year that have very significant rule changes so my opinions are out of date by now, but supposedly the game isn't much better. Also, they split as much of the game as possible in to backer exclusives and expansion modules. I've played the board game ~6 times and hate it with a passion.
Ah, right, thanks for the clarification on that. I think some of the issues might still be present within MHW, but the fact that the combat in MHW is entirely diceless and deterministic in terms of results means that they might be outright alleviated or not even present in MHW. I think I would hate having a similar system but with post-decision randomness thrown in, which seems is what Dark Souls has done.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I have finished putting together my new 3d printer.

And so, the Age of Foamcore has come to and end. Now is the Age of Prints.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Morpheus posted:

I have finished putting together my new 3d printer.

And so, the Age of Foamcore has come to and end. Now is the Age of Prints.

There are some things for which I have still gone the foamcore route, even after mostly moving on to printed inserts. Specifically, for some games with a lot of cards, it's easier to just make a little foamcore separator in the box and call it good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My copy of Hoplomachus Victorum is in the post. <boing>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jedit posted:

My copy of Hoplomachus Victorum is in the post. <boing>
I saw the NPI review of that and eeeh, it seemed pretty weird and intricate.