Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Jake_Bernstein/status/1637424540358782976

thank u sununu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

but those things sound good????

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

what happened to those Bradleys the US was gonna send

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
*checks notes*

aaacktually, opposing biden puts you on the right side of just about every issue, very consistently, going back roughly four decades. its uncanny actually

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/AlexandruC4/status/1637959532277006339

i hope xi doesnt try eating ice cream from other countries too or we could all be in big trouble when he gets to turkey

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

What if we had considered Saddam Hussein’s invasion of Kuwait in 1990 just a “territorial dispute”? Under President George H.W. Bush, the United States reestablished itself as the trusted leader of the free world by building a world coalition, supporting our allies and protecting U.S. interests.

:thunk:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

yellowcar posted:

They are in the latest shopping list though with everything else in there (including river patrol boats lmao) idk how many there can really be if at all adds up to just 350 million

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1637879168397619203

ive been critical of orban in the past for his determination to assist putin in his genocidal plans for world domination but this time hes gone too far!!!

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Some Guy TT posted:

ive been critical of orban in the past for his determination to assist putin in his genocidal plans for world domination but this time hes gone too far!!!

the Hungary Hawaiian

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1638028446378110976

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Furkraine/Rawrssia War: We are going to crinkle and glomp to Kyiv

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

everybody tends to forget that one of the big reasons why israel walked over the arab armies isnt just because of better leadership its also necause the soviets didnt give the arabs the very best of their equipment while the israelis got top of the line stuff.

ill remember the story i heard on TV from an egyptian officer when the soviets harangued them for being dogshit against the israelis and sent a team of pilots to try their hand at fighting israelis at the attrition war fron 1968-1970, only for the vast majority for them to die because they thought it was a training issue and not a technology issue. the soviet stuff they gave the egyptians sucked rear end and only slightly improved enough to give the egyptians a good start on 1973, (although that start was quickly squandered by sadat)

I wanted to do a follow-up on this post because I'd read something about this conflict last year. My reference is "Yom Kippur War: Insights into Operational Theory", by Maj. Richard H. Gribling

in the wake of the 1967 Sinai War, the Israeli Defense Forces had undergone a shift in their doctrine, emphasizing air superiority and the use of airpower as "airborne artillery", and then partnering this with the tank as the dominant weapons system for their military. Syria and Egypt had accepted, to a point, that the IDF would have dominance in the air, even after large arms transfers from the USSR, but believed that they could mitigate the worst of this via air defenses

at the same time, the Egyptian battle plan for the Sinai involved heavy use of anti-tank mines and anti-tank missiles (particularly the AT-3 Sagger). As well, their crossing of the Suez Canal was done across five different axes, which prevented the IDF commander on the scene, General Gonen, from identifying a critical point for an armored counterthrust

the Egyptians combined this with a multi-layered air defense network: SA-2 and SA-3 missiles to force the IDF out of high altitude, then ZSU-23-4, SA-6, and SA-7s to shoot down the planes that came low. This worked well enough that the Israeli air forces took unsustainable losses trying to perform CAS. When coupled with a lack of combined arms coordination that saw IDF tanks try to counterattack without infantry or artillery support, the Egyptians had a winning hand that saw them through some success in the initial phase of the war

on the northern front, the Syrians had also crafted an advantageous set-piece battle: three infantry divisions began an assault against two defending Israeli brigades, with two Syrian tank divisions passing through the infantry to follow-through from the initial assault, all under a defensive screen of SAMs that prevented Skyhawks and Phantoms from rendering support

the Israelis managed to unpack their conundrum by taking advantage of a pause in the Syrian/Egyptian momentum after they'd achieved their first set of objectives:

the IAF took out Syrian radars at El Burak, in Lebanon, which robbed the Syrians of early-warning capability, and then launched deep strikes directly into Damascus and Syrian naval bases. In response, the Syrians pulled back their air defense forces to protect sites further inland, and this gave the IDF enough breathing room to resume CAS and turn the tide at the Hushniya Pocket

once the Syrians were in deep trouble, they started petitioning the Egyptians to advance beyond their (political) objectives in the Sinai, which they'd been holding for over a week at this point, beating off multiple Israeli attacks in the process. The Egyptians were indecisive about this plea, since part of them felt that they did not have enough air defense assets to permit an offensive beyond what they had planned for, yet at the same time they didn't want to be seen as simply letting Assad take the brunt of the punishment while they stood pat, and especially since Jordan and Iraq had already come to Syria's aid (though to not much success)

in the end the Egyptians did attempt to launch an offensive, but it was a piecemeal, broad-front attack that was defeated in detail due to a lack of planning and commitment (I believe FF made a number of posts specifically about the plight of the surrounded Egyptian Army in the Sinai, perhaps in the first thread, as a comparison to the AFU forces becoming surrounded in the Donbas)

key takeaways:

- the Arab armies devised an operational plan that emphasized their strengths, while attempting to counter Israeli ones. By launching attacks from both the north and south simultaneously, Israel was denied freedom-of-action. By emphasizing the use of air defense networks, the IAF was neutralized, or at least placed in a disadvantageous position.

- despite being placed on the back foot, the Israelis managed to retake the initiative in the war, first by "distracting" the Syrians into robbing their armored units of air defense protection by striking deep into Syria (what the operational art calls the "indirect approach"), then also by provoking the Egyptians into moving out of their own air defense umbrella as they tried to move east out of the Sinai

- at the same time, both Syria and Egypt lost sight of the IDF's "center of gravity", that is, the IAF. By holding still once they had achieved their limited political goals, they allowed the IDF the freedom-of-action that they had otherwise managed to deftly deny them in the opening phase of the conflict

quote:

CONCLUSION

The 1973 Yom Kippur War presents a study of the military and political restraints that characterize limited war. Further, this conflict provides the operational planner an example of how policy influences military operations. Clausewitz underscored the importance of this relationship when he wrote: "If war is part of policy, policy will determine its climate.... Political considerations...are the more influential in the planning of war, of the campaign, and often even the battle".{74}

Both opponents' campaign plans reflected their desire to gain, through military action, sufficient leverage to achieve a political settlement. The Arab end state involved retaking territory lost in the 1967 War and forcing Israel into a war of attrition. Conversely, Israel's end state was a return to the status quo. Accomplishing this end, however, required Israel to gain air superiority, fight each front separately, and neutralize Arab territorial gains. Israel was able to achieve these military objectives, partly because neither Syria nor Egypt executed one integrated campaign plan. Both fought in relatively independent theaters of operation. Seizing the Golan Heights and the east bank of the Suez became their only concern.

This Arab decision focused on holding terrain instead of using their combined military strengths to defeat the IDF. This concept was in stark contrast to Israel's two stage strategy that combined gaining ground for negotiations and destroying enemy forces. This difference in campaign design was evident in each opponents interpretation of centers of gravity, culminating points, and linkage of ends and means.

Both Syria and Egypt had designed operations that could achieve a satisfactory end state. This was possible if two conditions were met.

First, both armies viewed their centers of gravity as being their large numbers of ground forces. Their purpose was defending these lodgements along the Golan Heights and on the east bank of the Suez.

Second, they knew that their defense hinged on sustaining and protecting these forces from both Israeli ground and air attacks. If their sustainment efforts were successful, then Israel would be forced into a war of attrition. The Arabs reasoned that the longer they held on, the sooner the IDF would culminate.

Initially, this strategy worked. Within the first twenty-four hours of battle the IDF found itself losing the war on both fronts. Israeli air power could not break through the Arab ADA screen. Further, IDF ground units were, at best, holding their own against massive enemy armor formations and Sagger-bearing infantrymen.

What changed from a potential Arab victory to a defeat, was their failure to remain focused on the original defensive strategy. First, Syria failed to take the Golan Heights. The stripping away of its ADA protection allowed the IAF to return to its traditional close air support role in conjunction with Israeli ground forces. This combination soundly defeated the Syrian army. Egypt was then left to continue the fight alone. Presumably it could have succeeded if it had stayed with the original plan. However, Sadat broke the linkage by attempting an unsupported and unprotected armor attack by his strategic reserve. This act cost him the war.

Conversely, the Israelis designed a campaign that focused on the destruction of the enemy's source of strength. To accomplish this, each engagement that achieved victory set the conditions for the next engagement. The IDF never lost sight of the importance of this sequential relationship. Therefore, to beat the Syrians in the main battle area required key targets to be hit deep in the Syrian rear. This action forced a thinning of Syrian ADA sites on the front line and allowed the IDF to achieve local superiority.

Likewise, in the Sinai, Israel realized it could not penetrate Egyptian bridgeheads from the east. A crossing to encircle the lodgements from the west bank was executed. Defeating the Egyptian strategic reserve became the first step to achieving a successful crossing.

The result of this war suggests to the operational planner that victory is achieved by executing campaigns based on positive aims. Therefore, the only objective that can insure military success is the destruction of the enemy. The fatal flaw of both the Syrian and Egyptian war planners was the belief that protecting their territorial gains would render victory instead of destroying the Israeli Defense Forces. Israel, however, understood the effects of positive aims. It designed operations that linked a series of tactical victories which resulted in Israeli dominance on both the battlefield and in the peace negotiations that followed.

Clausewitz sums up the importance of this concept when he wrote: A major victory can only be obtained by positive measures aimed at a decision, never by simply waiting on events. In short, even in the defense, a major stake alone can bring a major gain.{75}

I bring this up because I think it's important to think of these conflicts in terms of tactics, operational art, and strategy, rather than through the lens of "the Arabs had worse equipment", or worse

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Some Guy TT posted:

nobody tell the :gb2gbs: poster

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1637868916176302080

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

yellowcar posted:

They're operating up to specs.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Prigozhin is going to be put in charge of an anti-Chinese Russian army and Girkin will be charged with gathering information on China.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JoePostingg/status/1637803988253802497

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AP: pro-moscow accounts are pushing a furry-centric agenda

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

okay but is putin an alpha, beta or omega?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa why do I understand this

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/tom_username_/status/1637906228243300356

wikipedia is such a den of spooks

can't wait to be flagged for russian disinformation for citing archival data from russian and chinese sources years later

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Some Guy TT posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with europeans

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

the entire staff of that pizza place needs to be dragged before the ICC

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

The term is generally written with slashes (a/b/o). Many fans, particularly ones from Australia and New Zealand, are uncomfortable seeing the term without slashes because it is also an Australian slur for aboriginal people.[2][3][4]

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

crepeface posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

man what the gently caress god dammit

quote:

Omegas are often portrayed as the most fragile of the hierarchy, with frailer bodies and painful presentations. Some fanworks may present male omegas as especially subject to fertility issues, miscarriages, and difficult pregnancies.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

people need to stop posting about this imo

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
if the russians make a bespoke mortar shell called the honey nut cheerio I might just loose it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
launching a Special Military Operation to de-omegafy the forums

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

yoooooo where can i get a stuffed anti-tank mine throw-pillow like blue jeans ISIS wolf on the right is holding

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Zaporizhzhia is ten times larger than Bakhmut by pre war population, maybe it's not as well fortified but I can't imagine it's capture being quick.

In the case of Zaporizhzhia city, it is probably situational depending on how many Ukrainian forces can get there. At the same time, Russian forces may be content to simply bottle a force there and consolidate control over the rest of the river line.

The thing is if the Ukrainians want to keep the city they need to continually keep pumping reinforcements in it they aren’t on other fronts while the Russians are going to have more liberty to pick their battles. Also, to be honest, I don’t think the ability of the AFU to constantly replenish formations is infinite, and I think that is part of Russian strategy.

The fact that the Russians have been able to keep the pressure on Avdiivka like they have it fairly telling.

Also, I suspect the whole reason a bridge has been left open in Zaporizhzhia has been just so the Russians can blow it once the Ukrainians send forces across (also just allowing Ukrainian forces to cross has allow the Russians to attrition them for months). Dnipro city is also quite a bit smaller and the geography is probably going to favor the side with more artillery.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:37 on Mar 21, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

(me, stroking chin thoughtfully)

Not the combo I'd normally order but I guess it has potential.

The problem every odd pizza has is its competing with pepperoni. Not to say I don't have my favorite "local" recipes where I normally go. Fortunately I had pizza there for lunch so I'm not getting hungry thinking about it.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
which chin

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The one called exercise.

Apologies. Didn't mean to swear.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wired.com: Online Sleuths Untangle the Mystery of the Nord Stream Sabotage

Mar 20, 2023

quote:

It’s been six months since the Nord Stream gas pipelines were ruptured by a series of explosions, leaking tons of methane into the environment and igniting an international whodunit. Russia, the United States, the United Kingdom, and an unnamed pro-Ukrainian group have all been accused of planting explosives on the Baltic Sea pipelines in recent months. But half a year since the sabotage took place, the mystery remains unsolved.

Digital sleuths are stepping in to help provide clarity around bombshell claims about who was behind the attacks. Open source intelligence (OSINT) researchers are using public sources of data in their efforts to verify or debunk the snippets of information published about the Nord Stream explosions. They’re providing a glimpse of clarity to an incident that’s shrouded by secrecy and international politics.

Since early February, multiple media reports have claimed to provide new information about who could have attacked the Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines on September 26. However, the reports have largely been based on anonymous sources, including unnamed intelligence officials and leaks from government investigations into the attacks.

First, American investigative journalist Seymour Hersh published claims that the US was behind attacks in a post on Substack. This was followed by reports in The New York Times and German publication Die Zeit claiming a pro-Ukrainian group was responsible. (European leaders have previously speculated Russia could be behind the attacks, and Russia has blamed the United Kingdom.) No country has claimed responsibility for the blasts so far, and official investigations are ongoing.

Each of the recent reports has provided little hard evidence to show what may actually have happened, while helping to fuel speculation. Jacob Kaarsbo, a senior analyst at Think Tank Europa, who previously worked in Danish intelligence for 15 years, says the claims have been “remarkable” but also “speculative” in nature. “In my mind, they don’t really alter the picture,” Kaarsbo says, adding the attacks look highly complex and would likely be “very hard to pull off without it being a state actor or at least with state sponsorship.”

In the absence of official information, OSINT researchers have been trying to plug the gaps by examining the claims of the new reports with public data. OSINT analysis is a powerful way to determine how an event may have unfolded. For instance, flight- and ship-tracking data can reveal movements around the world, satellite images show Earth in near real-time, while small clues in the backgrounds of photos and videos can reveal where they were taken. The techniques have uncovered Russian assassins, spotted North Korea evading international trading sanctions, identified potential war criminals, and documented pollution.

For the Nord Stream blasts, there was little OSINT available. Researchers identified “dark ships” in the area. But underwater, there are obviously limited data sources that can be tapped into—cameras and sensors don’t monitor every inch of the pipelines. “OSINT probably won’t break this case open, but it can be used to verify or strengthen other hypotheses,” says Oliver Alexander, an analyst who focuses on OSINT and has been closely looking at the Nord Stream blasts. “I do think that it’s more of a verification tool.”

Alexander and others have been examining the claims made so far. The New York Times and Die Zeit both published stories on March 7 claiming a Ukrainian group was behind the sabotage. (Ukraine has denied any involvement.) Die Zeit published more details, claiming German investigators searched a yacht rented from a company based in Poland, knew where the yacht sailed from, and that six people were involved in the operation, including two divers. All of them used forged passports, the publication reported.

The details were enough for OSINT researchers to start tracking down which yacht could have been used. Alexander, as well as contributors to the open-source investigative outlet Bellingcat, started following the breadcrumbs, narrowing down potential vessels. A follow-up report soon named the boat under suspicion as the Andromeda, a 15-meter-long yacht. Webcam footage from the harbor where it is believed the Andromeda was docked shows the movement of a boat around the time reported by the publications. (The Andromeda is reportedly too small to be required to use ship-tracking systems.) Years-old videos and photos of the boat have surfaced. The sleuthing adds public details to the reports.

Similarly, OSINT has been used to debunk Hersh’s story claiming the United States was behind the explosions. (Hersh has defended his article, while US officials have said it was false.) Alexander has used, among other things, ship-tracking data to show Norwegian ships were “accounted for” and not in a “position to have placed the explosives on the Nord Stream pipeline, as claimed by Hersh.” Another detailed article from Norwegian journalists has similarly poured cold water on Hersh’s claims, partly using satellite data.

The sabotage was always likely to be controversial and surrounded by rumors: Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 has heated global tensions and put pressure on diplomats around the world. There has been a whirlwind of disinformation around the blasts, further muddying the waters. Mary Blankenship, a disinformation researcher at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, who has analyzed online conversations around the war, says the “high uncertainty and high stakes” of the incident help to fuel the spread of disinformation.

“This is an issue that exploits existing worries, tensions, and grievances within European audiences,” Blankenship says. Initially, the earliest disinformation on Twitter about the explosions came from conspiracy theorists, Blankenship says, who shared a pre-war statement from US president Joe Biden, where he said there would be an “end” to Nord Stream 2 if Russia invaded Ukraine. Since then, Russia and China have taken to sharing unproven theories about the sabotage, the researcher says.

“Disinformation actors, but also official representatives of the [Russian] regime, stepped up their efforts on every news story that was published on this—however contradictory about the origins of the blast—be it a blog post by Seymour Hersh or a New York Times article,” says Peter Stano, an EU spokesperson, adding most disinformation narratives have circled around the idea that “the US is to blame.” The EU’s disinformation monitoring project, EUvsDisinfo, has flagged more than 150 pieces of disinformation linked to the Nord Stream explosions, including those building on Hersh’s story. “EUvsDisinfo experts also found that Moscow considers the recent materials in German-language media a hoax,” Stano says.

While OSINT is helping to provide bits of extra detail on the claims about the Nord Stream attacks, it is likely that reports debunking dubious claims reach fewer people than disinformation or claims that are hard to verify. “It does not nearly get the same level of engagement,” Blankenship says. “You can have a book’s worth of evidence for it, and they would still find a way to discount it.”

And while OSINT research can answer some questions, it has its limits and can also raise new ones. Kaarsbo, the former Danish intelligence official, and other experts have pointed out that the Andromeda is a relatively small yacht, and it may have been unable to carry the amount of explosives needed to blow the pipelines. “The Andromeda is quite likely a piece of the puzzle, but I don’t think it’s a bigger piece of the puzzle that everyone makes it out to be,” Alexander says. “I think there are a lot of the big pieces missing.” Detailed sonar imagery of the damaged pipes would help people to understand what happened underwater, Alexander adds.

Ultimately, there is still very little hard public evidence—either from governments or publicly available online—about who may have been behind the attacks. Behind closed doors, intelligence agencies likely have more data and theories on the potential culprits. However, investigators in Sweden and Denmark refused to comment on their progress, while Germany’s Office of the Federal Prosecutor confirmed it had searched a yacht and is continuing to examine for explosives. German officials have also said there could be a chance of a “false flag” operation to smear Ukraine. And when the countries complete their investigations, there’s no guarantee they will publish their findings or evidence to back them up. The mystery continues.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the internationa whodunnit.

Domestic US media gonna domestic US media.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
There are a lot of mantras associated with this lovely war and they’re not budging. ‘Temporarily occupied’, ‘unjustified and unprovoked’, ‘full-scale invasion’ - you have to chant them exactly as prescribed for vulgar-idealist Secret magic to remake the world the way it should have been

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Vomik posted:

the Hungary Hawaiian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Comrade Koba posted:

the entire staff of that pizza place needs to be dragged before the ICC

wait until you find out about swedish pizza