Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

rosenritter posted:

For those of you with no plans to take the Deck apart, how did you decide which model to get?
Considering getting the 256gb model and maybe get a larger SD card if I need to, later on.
I'm mostly just planning on emulating games and playing some older stuff that my friends keep recommending me - like Twilight Princess or the Tellius Fire Emblem games.

I got the top line version of the deck and put a 1 tb sd card in there because I know myself and attempting to crack this thing open to put a SSD in would give me no small amount of anxiety. I know there are a lot of guides and advice or whatever but it's just one of those things that I prefer to avoid.

That said if you're planning to do a lot of emulation of older, smaller games then 256 plus an SD is probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ytlaya posted:

From what I understand this rarely (if ever) really matters, but when it comes to choosing which games to put on the NVMe SSD vs the MicroSD card, are there certain types of games where I might want to prioritize putting them on the former vs the latter? I'm guessing it depends on how often the game is pulling assets from the storage (and how big they are)? Though it's not that clear to me how to gauge that.
Yeah, if you want to use, eg, secondary mod loaders for a game, that’s possible on the deck. But unless any big advancements have been made in the last 2 months, trying to run them for games installed on external storage is near-impossible

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

From what I understand this rarely (if ever) really matters, but when it comes to choosing which games to put on the NVMe SSD vs the MicroSD card, are there certain types of games where I might want to prioritize putting them on the former vs the latter?
If you use multiple SD cards then putting anything you'd want to not have to change cards for on SSD makes sense.

Games that are updated frequently and take a long time to patch (mostly Unity titles, like No Man's Sky) you might want to put on SSD so those updates don't take forever.

Otherwise for current games I'm not sure there's any that noticeably benefit from loading off SSD, though I don't doubt there will be some, someday.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, so I should probably keep FF14 on the SSD? That's probably the most relevant install.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

You can play xbox game pass games through the cloud streaming. It works pretty well either through installing the Edge browser or there's a standalone game pass streaming app called Greenlight. I played a bunch of games and only had a couple encoding error hiccups. It was nice being able to hop into games without any installing (you just click and go).

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

FuzzySlippers posted:

You can play xbox game pass games through the cloud streaming. It works pretty well either through installing the Edge browser or there's a standalone game pass streaming app called Greenlight. I played a bunch of games and only had a couple encoding error hiccups. It was nice being able to hop into games without any installing (you just click and go).

The downside for me at least is you can’t shut off the screen and resume later. I still use it, but not as much because of that.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

so, what games have ya bought this sale that you're enjoying the hell out of? super time force ultra is pretty actiony and fun-forward, but not quite addictive

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ytlaya posted:

From what I understand this rarely (if ever) really matters, but when it comes to choosing which games to put on the NVMe SSD vs the MicroSD card, are there certain types of games where I might want to prioritize putting them on the former vs the latter? I'm guessing it depends on how often the game is pulling assets from the storage (and how big they are)? Though it's not that clear to me how to gauge that.

If you use Cryotools, you 100% want to put those games on the NvME, mainly because of how it handles the swap file and memory management for the game. I straight up have seen a 10-15% FPS bump in a ton of games, which is often the difference between being locked in at 40 (but you could have been doing 50s with frame dips here and there) to straight up being locked in to 60, buttery smooth, same settings.

The creator actually made a solid Youtube video where he goes through the install and every single setting and explains how they all work and what to set them to. I just use his recommended settings because I didn't want to break anything. It just ends up reserving 16 gigs of space on your SSD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9EjXYZUqUs&t=1769s

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Mescal posted:

so, what games have ya bought this sale that you're enjoying the hell out of? super time force ultra is pretty actiony and fun-forward, but not quite addictive

Someone either in this thread or the other Steam thread recommended Monster Sanctuary and I've been playing the poo poo out of that. I've been wanting something with minimal plot that I can play while listening to my podcasts, and this is hitting the spot. It's a metroidvania with a bit of Pokemon thrown in, and I'm having a blast with it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fuzz posted:

If you use Cryotools, you 100% want to put those games on the NvME, mainly because of how it handles the swap file and memory management for the game. I straight up have seen a 10-15% FPS bump in a ton of games, which is often the difference between being locked in at 40 (but you could have been doing 50s with frame dips here and there) to straight up being locked in to 60, buttery smooth, same settings.

The creator actually made a solid Youtube video where he goes through the install and every single setting and explains how they all work and what to set them to. I just use his recommended settings because I didn't want to break anything. It just ends up reserving 16 gigs of space on your SSD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9EjXYZUqUs&t=1769s

Ah, I actually did use Cryotools after seeing it mentioned in this thread (also with recommended settings). I haven't been able to test how it impacts performance yet, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Vikings posted:

I'm using openMW based on the install below. Took me a little bit to get it working, as I used the steam version rather than GoG that Xinlum used. I just downloaded the most popular user controller settings for morrowind from the deck menu and applied it to the openMW install, works fine.

Just for anyone looking to install openMW to play Morrowind, do not use the Luxtorpeda method, it runs awfully at the moment. Getting the version from Discover store runs way way better.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mescal posted:

GTA5/Online.

I played it at launch and then my wife and I had a baby, so I got zero game time in back then. What I had played, I loved. And now it's even better.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are there any good replacements for the four rear buttons? They really need a bit of a lip, I have short fingers so they're quite awkward for me to press.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

GTA5/Online.

I played it at launch and then my wife and I had a baby, so I got zero game time in back then. What I had played, I loved. And now it's even better.

May be a stupid question but has the base game changed at all since then? We're in opposite roles - I loved it at launch and 100%'d it on the 360, now I've got a bit of nostalgia but also a baby so time is more limited.. I've never played online (and can't see myself doing so), just wondering if the base game will offer anything beyond mindlessly cruising around? (which granted is very fun in this game)

Edit: Actually just realised I have this in my Epic library so definitely don't need to spend another 15 quid on it in this sale.

Froist fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 21, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Froist posted:

May be a stupid question but has the base game changed at all since then? We're in opposite roles - I loved it at launch and 100%'d it on the 360, now I've got a bit of nostalgia but also a baby so time is more limited.. I've never played online (and can't see myself doing so), just wondering if the base game will offer anything beyond mindlessly cruising around? (which granted is very fun in this game)

Edit: Actually just realised I have this in my Epic library so definitely don't need to spend another 15 quid on it in this sale.

I have no idea; I've played all of 5 minutes of the single player this time around because gently caress that. I did maybe 50-60% of it at launch and that was enough. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that I no longer care about it at all.

Online isn't just avoiding pubbies and poo poo like that, you can set up your own invite-only session, and even with no one else there, there's tons to do, and you don't have to be relegated to any narrative whatsoever.

It's like some sort of single player RP, with the option to play with others. I literally no longer car about Michael, Franklin, or Trevor, because anything that I'd want to do in SP is available in Online, plus more.

Even when I do play with other people, it's fine. I just don't do freeroam mode with them. And yesterday, a friend of mine bought it and we'll be playing together tonight or tomorrow night. I've started up my own motorcycle club and having an extra driver will help immensely.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Single player, no. It was basically left as-is after Online exploded into the most profitable thing in existence. Online has changed massively, for better and worse - there's an absolute mountain of stuff to do depending on taste and a ton of custom multiplayer game modes and maps, although some of the classic ones that depended on exploits (like building stunt tracks under the map) no longer work after patching. There's also still a certain amount of hackers roaming around, not enough to make the game unplayable but it tends to flare up between patches.

Online is fantastic with a posse of friends to play with, but if I was solo then I probably wouldn't bother. Single player is exactly as you remember it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ytlaya posted:

I think if you're playing new AAA releases on Deck, you probably want to keep half an eye on this from now.

I wasn't really happy with the performance of the Dead Space remake on Steam Deck, and apparently SSD vs Micro SD is totally a thing there. I didn't put that much stock into it at first, but it was the last performance tweak I didn't/couldn't make. By process of elimination I'm inclined to agree that it probably does make a difference with Dead Space and may well become an increasing concern from here.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Are there any good replacements for the four rear buttons? They really need a bit of a lip, I have short fingers so they're quite awkward for me to press.

Jsaux sells a back plate with replacement buttons in various sizes. https://jsaux.com/products/transparent-back-plate-for-steam-deck-pc0106

I am debating screen swapping to the 512 screen. It doesn't look too bad after I replaced a phone screen recently. It would be pretty dumb in case I had to RMA again, though. I'll have to see what 64 gb ones sell for used and see if it's worth trading up.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 21, 2023

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Question about Cyberpunk and the crackling audio. I know it's not a Deck specific issue, but I've tried modifying the PulseAudio config to pin the audio to max out at 44000hz, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I also disabled the haptic feedback which (oddly) helped. However, it doesn't have any real fix.

Since this is being wrapped by Proton, the Windows audio fixes don't really apply...

Does anyone have any fixes that work?

ottergauze
Dec 11, 2022

I’m getting a bug where the system information panel bar on the top disappears permanently after a suspend. Anyone else getting that? It appears on the lock screen but nowhere else.

Edit: Aha! It came back the moment I disabled “Use as wake movie” in the customisation settings, which is also not working.

ottergauze fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 21, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

unruly posted:

Question about Cyberpunk and the crackling audio. I know it's not a Deck specific issue, but I've tried modifying the PulseAudio config to pin the audio to max out at 44000hz, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I also disabled the haptic feedback which (oddly) helped. However, it doesn't have any real fix.

Since this is being wrapped by Proton, the Windows audio fixes don't really apply...

Does anyone have any fixes that work?

There is rumblings of a fix where you put the deck into dev mode and disable the wifi power saving feature. People are saying it fixes the audio crackling.

Are you running the GOG version or the Steam version?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mescal posted:

Mad Max.

Runs locked at 60 with maxed out settings, looks great, and is actually a lot of fun so far.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The Mad Max game rules, I should absolutely reinstall that. Good call.

Gonna add my voice to the "I set up CryoTools with the defaults and did the memory allocation tweak in the bios and holy poo poo" crowd too, god drat. Took the first-10-minutes stuttering out of Farming Sim 22 almost entirely, and Forza runs realgood.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Hello,
I know for replacing the internal SSD it needs the short (2230) and single sided form factor. Any recommendations on brands, or more specially brands/listings to avoid? Most of the in stock ones are very close in price so I’m just wondering if any are known to be more failure prone. Focused on the reliability because I imagine any marginal performance difference is erased by a bottleneck on the deck anyways

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is rumblings of a fix where you put the deck into dev mode and disable the wifi power saving feature. People are saying it fixes the audio crackling.

Running on GOG version, as I (stupidly?) purchased it on sale right before the big Steam Spring Sale.

Otherwise, the game works fine. Pretty consistent 40fps and I've only had a minor crash or two while playing.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

unruly posted:

Running on GOG version, as I (stupidly?) purchased it on sale right before the big Steam Spring Sale.

Otherwise, the game works fine. Pretty consistent 40fps and I've only had a minor crash or two while playing.

I was having this issue among others. For me the solution was ome of the following:

Cryotools: all recommended settings, plus upping the VRAM in the bios settings.

Adding the following as a launch script in heroic launcher (if you are using lutris you apparantly can add it instead as an environmental variable):

`DXVK_ASYNC=1 %command%`

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

RME posted:

Hello,
I know for replacing the internal SSD it needs the short (2230) and single sided form factor. Any recommendations on brands, or more specially brands/listings to avoid? Most of the in stock ones are very close in price so I’m just wondering if any are known to be more failure prone. Focused on the reliability because I imagine any marginal performance difference is erased by a bottleneck on the deck anyways

I’m keeping an eye out for solidigm/sk hynix P41 2230, excellent quality/value combo. Backordered all in my region though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RME posted:

Hello,

I bought the Inland TN436 1TB drive at MicroCenter when they released back in September and has been fantastic. Great price too it was $110 when they first came out.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

No micro center near me, unfortunately. Online prices seem to float around 150-170 for a 1tb, which is still a decent save overall but I almost wish I didn’t know the price MC offered it for lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wow.

Anyone going to be picking up the REm4ke? RE4R?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lppo5cNxrhk

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That fixed it for me once. I turned it off and then I was good! Then I stopped playing for the day, turned off my Deck, and now the audio is cracking again. If I re-enable the WiFi power saving, reboot, disable it again, reboot, then reboot one more time it stops again. I normally play muted anyway so I figure Valve will put out a patch before it starts to bug me too much, but it is annoying.

Part of me wonders if it's related to the custom boot/suspend videos since it only started cracking for me after I installed those though Decky.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RME posted:

Hello,

Kingston is the OEM for the deck drives. I bought a 512 but if you want bigger I'm not sure they have one.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Soysaucebeast posted:

That fixed it for me once. I turned it off and then I was good! Then I stopped playing for the day, turned off my Deck, and now the audio is cracking again. If I re-enable the WiFi power saving, reboot, disable it again, reboot, then reboot one more time it stops again. I normally play muted anyway so I figure Valve will put out a patch before it starts to bug me too much, but it is annoying.

Part of me wonders if it's related to the custom boot/suspend videos since it only started cracking for me after I installed those though Decky.

Contrary to my previous suggestion I got the crackle again- what DID help, was turning off controller rumble

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wow.

Anyone going to be picking up the REm4ke? RE4R?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lppo5cNxrhk

Slammed the preorder button today. Demo runs great.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How's RE8 on this? I've never played it but I want to after giving RE3MAKE a go.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Slammed the preorder button today. Demo runs great.

Oh hell yeah! Is it comparable to how the Re2make runs?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It's the same engine so probably just as well.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I ordered the POPSkin Gundam Edition Skin, but it turns out the skin is much more intricate/complicated than dBrand skins.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand and have any tips on how best to apply it?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Go slowly and use a hairdryer to heat it up and shape it around the curves of the device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have a billion steam points so I bought some of the wake videos, but it seems like I can only actually select or use the first five I bought. The points store seems kinda busted