Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

In WW2, Japan lost the carrier war because they had lots of losses so had the brain trust idea to draft all their flight instructors, which then meant no one could train the next generation of pilots they needed when said flight instructors were then lost in stupid fights. This absolutely stinks of the same desperation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Drone_Fragger posted:

In WW2, Japan lost the carrier war because they had lots of losses so had the brain trust idea to draft all their flight instructors, which then meant no one could train the next generation of pilots they needed when said flight instructors were then lost in stupid fights. This absolutely stinks of the same desperation.

I mean last summer and autumn Russia sent most of its training cadre to the front and they took severe losses too, to the point where they eventually had to outsource mobik training to Belarus for the most part

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

it didnt help that a lot of their young impressionable talent plowed into the ocean and/or the waterline deck of a US naval ship in the pacific ocean as a kamikaze, where japan lost approx 2800 irreplaceable pilots and planes. Admittedly the kamikazes did do a decent amount of damage, sinking 34 ships, damaging 368 others, killing 4900 sailors, and wounding 4800 more.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Conscripting an entire gradeband? Jeez. I am sick of waiting around for a Russian version of Susan Powter who can...

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

That seems like a complete misallocation of human resources. But then again I guess I'm not a leader of a nation so who can say who's really wrong....

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

That seems like a complete misallocation of human resources. But then again I guess I'm not a leader of a nation so who can say who's really wrong....

Is it really a misallocation if it lets you keep pretending youre not losing?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

HonorableTB posted:

it didnt help that a lot of their young impressionable talent plowed into the ocean and/or the waterline deck of a US naval ship in the pacific ocean as a kamikaze, where japan lost approx 2800 irreplaceable pilots and planes. Admittedly the kamikazes did do a decent amount of damage, sinking 34 ships, damaging 368 others, killing 4900 sailors, and wounding 4800 more.

To be fair, by that point by the time they decided to start the kamikaze program, Japanese squadrons that committed to an attack run against an American fleet already were suffering 90% casualty rates on average. The combination of overlapping AA, coordinated fighter patrols, and radar proximity shells was really good at shooting down bombers. Imperial Japanese high command decided it wasn't that much of a difference to go from 90% casualty rates to 100% casualty rates.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

#MargaritaThoughts

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1637950468952391681
Strelkov appears more or less completely done with Putin. I haven't seen him go off against Dear Leader this way or this angrily until now.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVmw3ZhdzEs

What posted:

Steamlyannaya Hamonika (1968) depicts the isolation and brutalization of humans in modern bourgeois society. Although being broadly in line with other art-as-propaganda of the era, censors felt it could easily be read as a criticism of the party, leaving this subversive short as the only animated film to be banned in the Soviet Union.

this is sublime

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Those notoriously fast moving Ukrainian apartment blocks were making a joke of Russia's sub-sonic and mildly-sonic non-fissile missile arsenal throughout 2013 so Putim's not wrong there Gherkin.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1637798673835864067
This is some creepy rear end poo poo, lmao

Up to March 22nd.

e: lol

Battlewitch casts Horrid Visage

it's not very effective

HonorableTB posted:

Ukraine War: it would be a poop soup and ruin the potato

mods

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tai posted:

Lmao yes conscript your future educated work force ontop of a brain drain last year. What could go wrong in the future.

it's fine

there won't be planes for russia to work on

all pilots are being sent to infantry too

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

:tipshat:

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

#MargaritaThoughts

I'd order one but I don't like all the salt.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

its ok to only eat some of the salt

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Solovyov has discourse about Donald John Trump getting arrested and everyone has a good time taking the piss out of Trump, making this the only time I've ever had something in common with Vladimir Solovyov:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aaku3jpUvwU

I lol'd when they were attempting to read Trump's bullshit in Russian and they keep stumbling over the words because he word vomits everything he puts on Truth social and none of it makes any loving sense

e: lmfao

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 21, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

...he, uh, does remember that the DEFENDERS won the battle of Stalingrad, yes?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Samovar posted:

...he, uh, does remember that the DEFENDERS won the battle of Stalingrad, yes?

ya, his messaging for a while has been that Putin+Shoigu are loving up and not taking the war seriously and that basically theyre loving stupid

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wait does he realize the defenders of Stalingrad won even though they were surrounded on three sides

I better go close all my windows and stay 5 ft away from them

Edit oh he does okay so this is a thumb at the Putin faction and MOD

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 21, 2023

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

so this is a thumb at the Putin faction and MOD

IIRC Girkin's part of the pro-FSB faction, so it in his dudes' best interest to make the regular military look bad.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommissarMega posted:

IIRC Girkin's part of the pro-FSB faction, so it in his dudes' best interest to make the regular military look bad.

Without them realizing it. Possibly they probably don't. Putin made his military completely ineffective and is seeing the proof of work Infront of him. He can blame the geniuses over at Znamenka 19 all he wants but he at the end of the day did this intentionally.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

This is true. Girkin's the mouthpiece of the FSB primarily and they are his protectors otherwise Girkin would've had a long walk off of a short pier by now

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Japan's prime minister is going to Kyiv:

https://twitter.com/IuliiaMendel/status/1638059777350684673?s=20

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Yes but have you weighed which is more evil, russia trying to liberate ukraine from nazis or the Japanese helping the nazis and creating the Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere?? I'm just asking questions and seeking genuine, honest answers, with no ulterior motives other than promoting the end to all wars.

Poop Soup Would Ruin the Potato, the less successful follow-up to Cooking by the Book by Lazy Town.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Gundam shipments, when

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1638071596345638912
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1638084055429160961

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A year ago when the invasion started, Finnish cartoonist Pertti Jarla of Fingerpori fame did a couple of comics about the situation.

The second one is especially interesting, because I had forgotten that in early days the rhetoric from some circles was that whatever we do, we must help Putin not lose face so he has a graceful exit from the situation, and a year in that sure didn't help.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The second one is especially interesting, because I had forgotten that in early days the rhetoric from some circles was that whatever we do, we must help Putin not lose face so he has a graceful exit from the situation, and a year in that sure didn't help.

BTW Macron still brings that up every now and then, and he probably still truly believes that Putin deserves a better exist strategy than 8th floor window.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Der Kyhe posted:

BTW Macron still brings that up every now and then, and he probably still truly believes that Putin deserves a better exist strategy than 8th floor window.

Given the sort of rumblings among ultranationalists such as Girkin these days I think the home team (specifically the FSB, whose mouthpiece Girkin is) have begun running out of patience with Putler's follies.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Its a weird angle.

Like when Vietnam went into Cambodia.

China invaded Vietnam, for going into Cambodia.

Vietnam kicked china out of vietnam and said they "won"

Vietnam left Cambodia So china could say they "won"

But like Perun said putin should kept the war defined as a military operation and set a goal and when it went south just say "operation succeeded"

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1638103866452373504
Increase in military activity recorded around Mariupol.

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1638123835558883328
Thieves and kidnappers of innocent children and Ukrainians attempt to convince the rest of the world of their innocence.

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1638131573483552770

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ups_rail posted:

Its a weird angle.

Like when Vietnam went into Cambodia.

China invaded Vietnam, for going into Cambodia.

Vietnam kicked china out of vietnam and said they "won"

Vietnam left Cambodia So china could say they "won"

But like Perun said putin should kept the war defined as a military operation and set a goal and when it went south just say "operation succeeded"
This would work here if the fight was over Belarus or something.

Unfortunately putin declared that Ukraine belongs to him so there's no way to spin that.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1638136894138507265

it was some old artistic performance after all

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1638127667202465792

zone posted:

Given the sort of rumblings among ultranationalists such as Girkin these days I think the home team (specifically the FSB, whose mouthpiece Girkin is) have begun running out of patience with Putler's follies.
I doubt it, it's probably more about Putin stopping to "act weak" and finding excuses (and he should instead punish "plywood generals" that are responsible for failed SMO, it's Girkin's evergreen). Longer version of that "shut up, Putin" clip:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1637950468952391681

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

zone posted:

Girkin turning on Putin so dramatically was quite surprising to me. It seems that this kind of schism in the upper leadership of Russia can't be good (for Russia) in any way.

Previously Putin hasn't seemed to like such strong criticism at all, so maybe Girkin (and/or his enablers) will fall out of a window soon? But I'm thinking, if Girkin says these things now openly, that must be just the tip of the iceberg, because he's just an FSB worker as you say... so, does Putin now have to oppose the FSB? What's going on here, are they gonna get in a "fight"?

Or will FSB succeed in their campaign of criticism, and force Putin to do... what exactly do FSB want anyway? Full wartime economy? More fascism? Nukes?

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

"Tanya is now in the grug"

Tanya is now in the grug

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Give Zelenskyy a Gundam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Wait does he realize the defenders of Stalingrad won even though they were surrounded on three sides

It's ok. The Russian Airforce is going to supply their troops via airlift after Ukraine's offensive, then link up with Army group Samsung Washing machine after a spectacular breakout. Later they're going to attempt a massive push through the Kursk region, once and for all breaking the back of Ukraine's army.

All they have to do is kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will collapse.