Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Parallelwoody posted:

Not trusting that crazy eyed gently caress on the Texans is probably a good call.

But that guy is gon... oh wait

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah pretty much everyone was talking about it as this pie in the sky "what if they actually pulled it off" thing but pretty much nobody thought it was a realistic option. Having him go "well I did try to work out if it could happen but at the end of the day went with something more solid" is cool insight, but you'd have to be real cynical* to think "well he screwed it up since he didn't pull off a historically convoluted double trade".

* I believe this is Niwrad's queue

*cue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cued in and queued up: the updated poast

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

But that guy is gon... oh wait

*cue

gently caress

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

KDdidit posted:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/20/fmia-nfl-free-agency-bears-panthers/

Not sure why Poles went public with this. Just sets him up to be questioned whether he could have had more if he waited.

I think it makes sense. Buzz around the QBs was at its peak and that's probably when the pick is most valuable. There's a lot of fuckery that goes on before the draft and you don't want teams like the Panthers to have time to sour on their guy.

He played it safe and got a solid return. And remember that if you pulled off a trade with Houston first (say a 2nd and 5th), the Panthers are not going to give you the same deal for #2.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Poles even talked about it in his press conference. He said there were risks in waiting and once he decided he was comfortable with the deal he was getting, he pulled the trigger.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The deal we got was fuckin' great and I'm not complaining.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
It was a great trade and I get to be super excited about DJ Moore NOW rather than worried about the mystery box picks.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Everybody in football is historically tight-lipped, I'm glad the GM is talking personally, the deal is done and the addition of a young, established WR1 I think makes it more than worth it. If we're still doing poo poo like whining about the Claypool pick and the perception lost value off the trade-back in 2 or 3 years, then it was never gonna work out in the first place.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mercenarynuker posted:

Muscle Coach is Pro PJ Fleck

PJ Fleck is a phony. watch some of his insane "process" videos. it's like watching a McKinsey presentation except you're talking about exploiting young athletes instead of the profit opportunities of stealing all of the water in Africa or whatever they're up to these days

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

GNU Order posted:

Everybody in football is historically tight-lipped, I'm glad the GM is talking personally, the deal is done and the addition of a young, established WR1 I think makes it more than worth it. If we're still doing poo poo like whining about the Claypool pick and the perception lost value off the trade-back in 2 or 3 years, then it was never gonna work out in the first place.

This is it, like the loving super hyper secretive football front office is such a loving stupid construct.

Like yeah, don't go out and say that you really want to take that dere Skoronski kid to Peter King, but talking about your methodology and being open about your line of thinking is harmless. If you are bad, you are bad and are gonna get fired.

If you are good, you are good and saying some thought process stuff isn't gonna hurt you as it's going to be pretty obvious.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

This is it, like the loving super hyper secretive football front office is such a loving stupid construct.

Like yeah, don't go out and say that you really want to take that dere Skoronski kid to Peter King, but talking about your methodology and being open about your line of thinking is harmless. If you are bad, you are bad and are gonna get fired.

If you are good, you are good and saying some thought process stuff isn't gonna hurt you as it's going to be pretty obvious.

Not only is it harmless, but outlining your methodology makes it easier for your fanbase to buy in. It actually relieves some of the pressure of needing to be successful right away.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A real smokescreen would be talking to ESPN about how you’re gonna draft a fullback in the first round and a kicker in the second.

Leave ‘em guessing.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Gonz posted:

A real smokescreen would be talking to ESPN about how you’re gonna draft a fullback in the first round and a kicker in the second.

Leave ‘em guessing.

I'm going to draft only NBA prospects and build an all TE offense

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Sataere posted:

I'm going to draft only NBA prospects and build an all TE offense

The Inverse Millen

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If anything, the fact that Poles was willing to be open with this move makes me kinda mad that we'll never get the real story behind Roquan. Even if it is as simple as "there was some behind-the-scenes character stuff" or "the HC didn't think his body type fit the scheme, and we knew this fast rangey freak LB was going to hit FA by the end of the season, so we sold off Roquan to secure the tank, got a pick back, and we think we'll get equivalent production from this guy in the future when the games actually matter"

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

We'll get the story in the 30 for 30 after their 3rd Superbowl.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GNU Order posted:

If anything, the fact that Poles was willing to be open with this move makes me kinda mad that we'll never get the real story behind Roquan. Even if it is as simple as "there was some behind-the-scenes character stuff" or "the HC didn't think his body type fit the scheme, and we knew this fast rangey freak LB was going to hit FA by the end of the season, so we sold off Roquan to secure the tank, got a pick back, and we think we'll get equivalent production from this guy in the future when the games actually matter"

I think he didn't fit what they want to do on defense, wanted a lot of money, and had some off-the-field question marks. No real benefit in bringing those up to the media and upsetting other players.

My guess is they would have extended him if they could find a number that was right. But I also think his antics in training camp didn't help and might have ended any extension talk.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

I'd figured the packers were banned from doing this because we never loving did it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Why do stuff like visit each other and work out with each other and speak to each other to work on timing when you can instead create a labyrinthine system of Naruto-style hand signals that you never actually tell anybody?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

Ah, but, you see, it's Niwrad, for whom every decision made by a Chicago sports team's front office is automatically bad until proven otherwise. Remember, he was screaming that last year's draft was proof that the Bears had already given up on Fields.

I don't know man. Don't think it was far-fetched to criticize Pace for years. Especially when most of this board said that Poles would have to dig his way out of a big hole that Pace left behind.

And I don't see what criticism of Poles is off. The Bears would get nothing remotely close to the 32nd pick in the draft for Claypool right now. Gordon and Jones would not be 2nd and 3rd round picks if there was a re-draft. All that can change of course, but early returns look bad.

I like the trade he pulled off with Carolina. Some of his small signings like D'onta Foreman, TJ Edwards, and Nate Jones seem like good value. Braxton Jones may turn out to be a steal if he can develop.

But we'll ultimately find out this season how things are progressing. $100 million in cap space and a boatload of picks. The team should be considerably better than they were and that's what we'll judge him by.

fishing with the fam posted:

It was a great trade and I get to be super excited about DJ Moore NOW rather than worried about the mystery box picks.

People don't seem to realize that DJ Moore is really good. Reminds me a bit of Allen Robinson who didn't get the credit he deserved in Jacksonville. Didn't have the great skillset of other elite receivers but makes up for it by being an incredible route runner and adjusting well to the ball in the air. He's a legit WR1 and probably close to being a top 10 receive in the league with a decent QB.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

MJeff posted:

Why do stuff like visit each other and work out with each other and speak to each other to work on timing when you can instead create a labyrinthine system of Naruto-style hand signals that you never actually tell anybody?

Lol I forgot about the loving hand signal tests

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Niwrad posted:

And I don't see what criticism of Poles is off. The Bears would get nothing remotely close to the 32nd pick in the draft for Claypool right now. Gordon and Jones would not be 2nd and 3rd round picks if there was a re-draft. All that can change of course, but early returns look bad.

"Right now" is probably the key word there. Like yeah, hindsight is always 20/20 , and the Bears gave up the top pick on day 2 (although as mastershakemen already pointed out, there's a key distinction that keeps it from being "essentially a first round pick" like you've stated before) but they had zero way of knowing that when they made the trade on November 1st, 2022 when they were 3 and 5 and looking at a weak WR free agency. It was a desperation move and it hasn't panned out so far, luckily other things have shifted and now we have Moore for our WR1.

Of course, you called it bad from the beginning so I guess it wasn't "hindsight" for you, but like some wise people up above stated "if you take that stance you're going to be proven right more often". You've already pre-emptively stated that even if Claypool has a record season it's actually bad for the Bears because then he will just leave in free agency, so no matter what you can say you're right, but it's just kind of exhausting for everyone else.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

You've already pre-emptively stated that even if Claypool has a record season it's actually bad for the Bears because then he will just leave in free agency, so no matter what you can say you're right, but it's just kind of exhausting for everyone else.

No, I said that it's dumb for a rebuilding team to trade for someone who is going to be a free agent in a year. That's a move contenders make.

Would you rather have Chase Claypool for 2023 or 4 years of control over the 32nd pick in the draft? That's the trade as it presently stands. Every single one of you would take the latter, so I don't get why people are still trying to defend it.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Niwrad posted:

No, I said that it's dumb for a rebuilding team to trade for someone who is going to be a free agent in a year. That's a move contenders make.

Would you rather have Chase Claypool for 2023 or 4 years of control over the 32nd pick in the draft? That's the trade as it presently stands. Every single one of you would take the latter, so I don't get why people are still trying to defend it.

If that 32nd overall pick turns out to be Lamar Jackson, you want the pick. If that 32nd overall pick turns out to be N'Keal Harry, you want Chase Claypool.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
It looks worse after DJ Moore was acquired, but before that the Bears were heading into 2023 pretty drat thin at WR.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It was a poor move because he’s about to be an unrestricted free agent, mostly

Getting the dude to try to help the miserable WR squad was sound in the abstract

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

To be clear I’m not even “defending” it as an objectively good move, especially in hindsight of it being pick 32. I’m saying it’s defensible given the data they had at the time (repeatedly harping on it being a direct trade for pick 32 is highly disingenuous)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm not sure anyone would have predicted the Bears pick would be even close to #1 when they made the trade anyway, didn't they just lose out to finish the season after they made it? I feel like they were like 3-4 or something when it happened so getting a weapon for your young QB to see if you could make some magic happen seems fine to me and ending up in the 10-15 range otherwise would have probably been a more common prediction

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah the Bears went on a run when their offense worked, but their defense couldn't stop anyone, as they traded, Quinn, and Ro. EJax got hurt, and essentially their defense was nothing but rookies, Justin Jones, Morrow, and Jaylon Johnson(who also got hurt). They pretty clearly couldn't stop anyone.

Their secondary played pretty well down the stretch, but they had literally no pass rush.

The Bears essentially finished the season how people wanted them to play the entire season, Fields showing promise, and a poo poo ton of losing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure anyone would have predicted the Bears pick would be even close to #1 when they made the trade anyway, didn't they just lose out to finish the season after they made it? I feel like they were like 3-4 or something when it happened so getting a weapon for your young QB to see if you could make some magic happen seems fine to me and ending up in the 10-15 range otherwise would have probably been a more common prediction

Yea, they were 3-5, definitely not looking great but not “lose the remaining 8 games while other teams in the league collude to give you the first pick” territory

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Dexo posted:

yeah the Bears went on a run when their offense worked, but their defense couldn't stop anyone, as they traded, Quinn, and Ro. EJax got hurt, and essentially their defense was nothing but rookies, Justin Jones, Morrow, and Jaylon Johnson(who also got hurt). They pretty clearly couldn't stop anyone.

Their secondary played pretty well down the stretch, but they had literally no pass rush.

The Bears essentially finished the season how people wanted them to play the entire season, Fields showing promise, and a poo poo ton of losing.

Gordon and Brisker both were concussed for the same 2 weeks after getting hurt in the Atlanta game

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

You left out the "and fields stays healthy" part which not only did he not do but they put him out hurt and he got hurter

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Fields was generally healthy.

He missed one game, legitimately, and missed a second game because they decided to just shut him down.

You can't put this dude in loving bubble wrap. QBs are gonna get hit. It happens. They play through light poo poo.

He said he was tired and had heavy legs, but that's just like because he's never had that type of running load before

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

People don't seem to realize that DJ Moore is really good. Reminds me a bit of Allen Robinson who didn't get the credit he deserved in Jacksonville. Didn't have the great skillset of other elite receivers but makes up for it by being an incredible route runner and adjusting well to the ball in the air. He's a legit WR1 and probably close to being a top 10 receive in the league with a decent QB.

And then he went to the Bears...

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jen X posted:

It was a poor move because he’s about to be an unrestricted free agent, mostly

Getting the dude to try to help the miserable WR squad was sound in the abstract

This. If they wanted a competent receiver, they could have signed Juju or someone who went cheap that offseason. Then just waited for Claypool to become a free agent if they want to sign him.

The trade would be fine if they had immediately extended him too.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So does Carter drop to the Lions? Do they take him if so? That pro day makes me think they try to trade down if he's available. Also, if for some reason Richardson is still there at 6, you hop on that? I don't think they will be picking this high again for a while.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

There is no world where if I'm the Lions I don't take Carter if he drops.

Their entire loving thing is building Culture, and Grindset bullshit.

If that is your orgs thing, trust your coaches, and your people to be able to get that dude's head on straight. And Keep him focused like Georgia's coaches were mostly able to do so.

And then just utterly terrify the North with him and Hutch.

The Bigger concern is the looming one, which is when/if he gets turbo paid on that second deal. Hopefully he's grown up by then, but that's 5 years out.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think not only will Carter be available at #6, there is an off chance that Anderson is too. I still think 4 QBs will go within the first 5 picks.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If 4 QBs go in 5 picks, how is that 5th not Anderson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I think not only will Carter be available at #6, there is an off chance that Anderson is too. I still think 4 QBs will go within the first 5 picks.

There is no way that Seattle doesn't take Anderson if he falls to them. Unless they trade back, because some other team would trade up for him.