Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
reminder that the poverty line is bullshit

quote:

A few weeks ago the World Bank changed the international poverty line from $1.25 to $1.90 per day. Normally, changes to the poverty line slide by without attracting much attention, but for some reason this time people got excited. At first glance, it looks as if the bank has finally admitted that the old line was just too low, and has raised it to a more meaningful standard.

But the reality is closer to the opposite. The World Bank didn’t raise the poverty line at all – it simply “rebased” the old line to adjust for depreciation in the purchasing power of the dollar. The bank claims that the new poverty line is roughly equivalent to the old line, in real terms. But in effect it is actually significantly lower, and therefore makes it seem as though there are fewer poor people than before.

This is why the bank has suddenly announced that the global poverty headcount has decreased by 100 million people overnight, and that the poverty reduction trend has been declining more rapidly than we used to believe.

Nothing has actually changed in the real world, of course; there are just as many poor people as there were before. But the development industry has been happy to take the new story on board, claiming gains against poverty that haven’t actually happened. The NGO community is celebrating the fact that, according to the bank’s new line, the poverty rate will dip below 10% this year. Jim Yong Kim has called this “the best story in the world today.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you can track reduction by other ways like consumption of foodstuffs.

As an aside, Tamil Nadu did a survey a year after extending the school lunches program to include both breakfast and lunches and the results are good.

https://indianexpress.com/article/education/stalin-introduces-breakfast-scheme-for-govt-school-children-7905380/

Say thank you to uncle Stalin CSPAM!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
In case this has not been posted

https://twitter.com/wentisung/status/1637469034341072897?s=20

Pretty big news. My interpretation is the disagreement between the retired KMT members and current party leader (Chu something) is bubbling to the surface. The old schoolers see Zhu is incapable of establishing connection with mainland and decide to do their own networking on their own pace.

The timing will also affect the KMT presidential candidate process because Chu whatshisname is surely not popular enough to run for candidate so whoever run for and win the KMT primary will have his own cross-strait plans.

This visit probably doesn't aim to influence the DPP policy or their core voters because Beijing pretty much have given up on DPP at this point.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 03:25 on Mar 20, 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/caitoz/status/1637271521302544384

submarines: known for protecting maritime trade

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

australia should form an alliance with china against america

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

In case this has not been posted

https://twitter.com/wentisung/status/1637469034341072897?s=20

Pretty big news. My interpretation is the disagreement between the retired KMT members and current party leader (Chu something) is bubbling to the surface. The old schoolers see Zhu is incapable of establishing connection with mainland and decide to do their own networking on their own pace.

The timing will also affect the KMT presidential candidate process because Chu whatshisname is surely not popular enough to run for candidate so whoever run for and win the KMT primary will have his own cross-strait plans.

This visit probably doesn't aim to influence the DPP policy or their core voters because Beijing pretty much have given up on DPP at this point.

he is an american puppet & spy. taiwanese do not have self rule if you think they are not an american colony you are delusional

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Spy Amongus lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nobel Peace Prize winner Xi Jinping

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Antonymous posted:

he is an american puppet & spy. taiwanese do not have self rule if you think they are not an american colony you are delusional

this seems kinda aggro out of nowhere dude.

i thought stephenthinkpad was just saying that the historic trip is showing a shift in the political environment of taiwan, which i don't think anyone disagrees with?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sorry I meant it sarcastically and not directed at the OP. I think Ma Yingjeou is an exact a counter example to cspam's simplification of Taiwan to a US colony.

when I've posted that Taiwan is not simply a us puppet state in this thread before I've not been treated well.

I'm trying to fit in.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

crepeface posted:

this seems kinda aggro out of nowhere dude.

i thought stephenthinkpad was just saying that the historic trip is showing a shift in the political environment of taiwan, which i don't think anyone disagrees with?

in classical goon fashion, goon can't talk to people normally

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

true that is my problem

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
goon solidarity

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Antonymous posted:

sorry I meant it sarcastically and not directed at the OP. I think Ma Yingjeou is an exact a counter example to cspam's simplification of Taiwan to a US colony.

when I've posted that Taiwan is not simply a us puppet state in this thread before I've not been treated well.

I'm trying to fit in.

oh lol, that didn't come across at all.

i imagine the cspammers that say "taiwan is just a US puppet state" are just exaggerating for effect. taiwan definitely comes off as more independent than my home of racism island

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

crepeface posted:

oh lol, that didn't come across at all.

i imagine the cspammers that say "taiwan is just a US puppet state" are just exaggerating for effect. taiwan definitely comes off as more independent than my home of racism island

Eh, control is exerted in different ways, especially looking at places with different languages and culture to their imperial overlord.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
the us would like them to be a puppet state, as per the us insistence that everyone else is a puppet state of the soviets, commies, etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How can it be a puppet state when it isn't a state

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Only Tsai follows US's wills to the tee, all previous Taiwanese president had some public disagreements with the US.

Tsai is kind of like Abe in that way.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Thanks this was actually my first question about the "Less than a dollar a day" thing since it's a common refrain of neolibs that Capitalism. Just. Works.

Good to know that in addition to some of the problems discussed in the history thread about accounting for subsistence farmers, the capitalists also just declare that the numbers are whatever they want

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202303/1287526.shtml

quote:

globaltimes.cn
Shandong finds huge high-quality gold mine; deposit will yield critical resources
Global Times
2–3 minutes

China has discovered a super-large gold deposit, the Xilaokou gold mine in Rushan, East China's Shandong Province, with an estimated reserve of 50 tons, China Media Group reported on Saturday.

After eight years of prospecting, the Xilaokou gold mine has become the largest known gold deposit in the region and the largest discovered in 2023 so far, according to the Shandong Provincial Bureau of Geology & Mineral Resources.

The deposit contains high-quality gold ore, which can be easily mined and refined, according to the local resources department.

The deposit will help China to expand its gold reserves and support the nation's self-sufficiency in critical resources, said the report.

China has been enlarging its gold reserves and output amid regional geopolitical risks and the global economic downtrend.

As of the end of February, China's gold reserves stood at 65.92 million ounces (1,869 tons), up 800,000 ounces month-on-month, said the People's Bank of China, China's central bank.

Shandong is China's largest gold producing area and has the largest reserves of the metal. In 2022, many major gold mines in the province resumed normal operations and recovered to pre-pandemic levels under the premise of safety.

The Jiaojia gold mine yielded more than 10 tons of gold last year, the highest level of production nationwide, according to the China Gold Association (CGA).

China's raw gold output in 2022 reached 372.05 tons, an increase of 13.09 percent year-on-year, including 295.42 tons of mined gold, CGA data showed on January 19. China was the world's largest gold producer in 2021, accounting for about 9 percent of global volume, according to the World Gold Council.

China's gold consumption reached 1,001.74 tons in 2022, down by 10.63 percent year-on-year, according to CGA.

Global Times

Gold discovered in Shandong.

Also coincidentally Adrien Zenz is writing a new report on China's secret genocide occurring in Shandong as we speak.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Germany preparing to reclaim ancient German soil

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1638006078607695873

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

All this has done is convince me that COVID came from Fort Detrich

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

it's on, Mody v. Modi

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

KomradeX posted:

All this has done is convince me that COVID came from Fort Detrich

yep

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the graph said the bad thing went away what is it with you tankies and your grotesque hatred of science

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
dogs caused COVID?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

covid is stored in these balls

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

this dude sucks lol

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

dogs caused COVID?

don't let the covid thread goon with bricks hear about this

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

dogs caused COVID?

The Failing New York Times: What if everyone was wrong about playtime?

Svensken
May 29, 2010

I can't believe the nation on China sold raccoons in Wuhan's meat market.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Danann posted:

don't let the covid thread goon with bricks hear about this

Give some goons a chance and they'll blame every COVID death on Pitbulls

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/RealPepeEscobar/status/1637880213504663564?s=20

does xi have an food pics instagram

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

During the cold war, the anticommunist ideological framework could transform any data about existing communist societies into hostile evidence...

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...321-p5ctvc.html

quote:

‘A bloody scandal’: Secret Chinese data that could have changed the course of the pandemic

China sat on evidence for several years that strongly suggests COVID-19 originally came from an animal and which could have changed the global response to the pandemic had it been made public in 2020, a leading coronavirus origins expert says.

“It is inexcusable – I think it’s a bloody scandal,” Holmes says. “The whole last three years would have been completely different if we had this data.

western societies would definitely have changed their covid responses if they had some more data saying that covid came from the wild animals at the market, which everyone considered to be the leading theory all along

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Having a big "friend" which is also a totalitarian dictatorship would not bode well for Australia's long-term future. But you obviously aren't going to agree with that line of thinking if you also believe America is only marginally better than China.

I think it’s also useful to not just think about this just in terms of US/China but also the ASEAN countries, India, Japan, Korea etc. Australia isn’t the only country having to balance engagement between the two powers and I think it’s really instructive to see how China may have strategic partners of convenience (eg Russia) but no real other allies or friends globally. For better or for worse more major countries would rather court the US and act in alignment with the US and EU on security issues then with China. For all it’s problems the US still has a leadership role on human rights and solving global problems in a way that China doesn’t. We need major action on climate for example which the EU/US need to lead partially because their aid budgets will be critical for transitioning the developing world away from carbon.

China is also about to have a massive demographic challenge over the next few decades with a rapidly ageing workforce and far less ability to use highly skilled immigration to shore up its talent deficits. It’s on a clock in a way most Western countries aren’t. Some people are paranoid this means China may think it has a window that is closing to take Taiwan, especially as Taiwan has been lagging in modernising/keeping pace with China’s capability growth, which could prompt action soon. A lot of people disagree. I don’t know. But I do wish there was more focus in the media on our regional ties, and if we did it would more likely put us in the US camp (vs China, as most countries in Asia have much more severe concerns about their regional ambitions).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

where's the line between "strategic partners of convenience" vs "friends and allies"?
how do objectively measure that one?

because atm it just looks like "the usa has friends and allies like [checks notes] Saudi Arabia and Israel (not totalitarian!)" while China only has "partners of convenience (dictatorships and totalitarian regimes!)".

if those partners of convenience are united because they are threatened by the USA that can be strong enough glue for a formidable alliance given the poo poo the USA has been up to in its last 100 years.

double nine has issued a correction as of 10:44 on Mar 21, 2023

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

double nine posted:

where's the line between "strategic partners of convenience" vs "friends and allies"?
how do objectively measure that one?

Friends and allies are something that great, ontologically good Western liberal democracies have. Authoritarian countries are ontologically incapable of having friends, and thus only have partners of convenience. Please don't look into how the great and good West treats its fine allies.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Ranter posted:

For better or for worse more major countries would rather court the US and act in alignment with the US and EU on security issues then with China.

"major countries" pictured in green on this map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ranter posted:

Having a big "friend" which is also a totalitarian dictatorship would not bode well for Australia's long-term future. But you obviously aren't going to agree with that line of thinking if you also believe America is only marginally better than China.

I think it’s also useful to not just think about this just in terms of US/China but also the ASEAN countries, India, Japan, Korea etc. Australia isn’t the only country having to balance engagement between the two powers and I think it’s really instructive to see how China may have strategic partners of convenience (eg Russia) but no real other allies or friends globally. For better or for worse more major countries would rather court the US and act in alignment with the US and EU on security issues then with China. For all it’s problems the US still has a leadership role on human rights and solving global problems in a way that China doesn’t. We need major action on climate for example which the EU/US need to lead partially because their aid budgets will be critical for transitioning the developing world away from carbon.

China is also about to have a massive demographic challenge over the next few decades with a rapidly ageing workforce and far less ability to use highly skilled immigration to shore up its talent deficits. It’s on a clock in a way most Western countries aren’t. Some people are paranoid this means China may think it has a window that is closing to take Taiwan, especially as Taiwan has been lagging in modernising/keeping pace with China’s capability growth, which could prompt action soon. A lot of people disagree. I don’t know. But I do wish there was more focus in the media on our regional ties, and if we did it would more likely put us in the US camp (vs China, as most countries in Asia have much more severe concerns about their regional ambitions).

shut the gently caress up