Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hung parliament with Muslim nationalist Humza Yousaf pulling Keith's strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm going to stay at my parents over easter since I'll be having my birthday then too as a week holiday and to get to norwich and back its going to cost £140 with the cheapest tickets and this is travelling on a thursday before easter and friday after. So not even a bank holiday journey

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
i was trying to get by train to a funeral near stafford by train from the continent, and for the london to stafford portion for some reason they weren't selling advance singles or off peak, more than 10 days in advance, a regular anytime single was £225 for a 1hr20 min journey

this is the same as petrol for driving the whole entire thousand mile round trip & the chunnel costs

or alternatively 10x the max train fare of €29,40 in the netherlands for a ~5 hour journey

i hate england

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i hate england

Same OP

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Inglan is a bitch

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i was trying to get by train to a funeral near stafford by train from the continent, and for the london to stafford portion for some reason they weren't selling advance singles or off peak, more than 10 days in advance, a regular anytime single was £225 for a 1hr20 min journey

this is the same as petrol for driving the whole entire thousand mile round trip & the chunnel costs

or alternatively 10x the max train fare of €29,40 in the netherlands for a ~5 hour journey

i hate england

You got intensely ripped off there (it's a journey I make semi-regularly), advance tickets are pretty easy to get and are about £25 but the most expensive peak ticket is £117 and if you take the stopping service at peak it's £70. Walk on off-peak is about £50

e: missed the "from the continent" bit, not sure how you would have booked a ticket but you could have got a pass to get you unlimited travel on most trains in the country for several days for less than that

Betjeman has issued a correction as of 11:48 on Mar 21, 2023

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Betjeman posted:

You got intensely ripped off there (it's a journey I make semi-regularly, advance tickets are pretty easy to get and are about £25 but the most expensive peak ticket is £117 and if you take the stopping service at peak it's £70. Walk on off-peak is about £50

i said "gently caress it ill drive instead" lol

but yeah also very cool that you need to be In The Know to buy train tickets

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Maybe from the continent, though I imagine I would have similar issues trying to book a ticket in advance in a foreign country.
When I travel abroad I tend to just turn up at the train station and wave my hands around until there's a ticket in it (pretty much the same as I do here).

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i just went to nationalrail.co.uk and typed in euston and stafford and didn't bother going to a TOC website since i assumed (incorrectly lol) that nationalrail would show advance/off peak/cheaper anytime singles if they were available because, well it usually does/did, you only needed to go to a TOC to actually buy the tickets

sadly i am english and i know the many stupid ways to buy tickets in england, but apparently not well enough

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I was on holiday to Norway a few years back up in the stupid empty North of the country, realising that I'd been dumb and booked the wrong return dates for the train I was able to simply cancel and reschedule it for an earlier date with no hassle no additional cost and a full refund for the cancelled tickets (which I think were about £150 for the pair on a 5 hour train journey). Can't imagine that situation ever arising in the UK without me ending up paying double for already overpriced tickets and sitting on the floor in a cramped and smelly avanti West Coast train.

This train even had a diner car with seating and one car that was a dedicated soft play and ball pool where you could just abandon your kids.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The only country I've been to with shittier infrastructure than the UK is Bosnia, and in their defence had just been through a civil war and genocide not long before that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/Jefflez/status/1638131359167160320?t=yZz5VSum73_2Tvqgh1lJ4g&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Genuinely impressed she avoided wrenching Woody Allen apologisim into that tweet

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol at voters of the only party that djdnt vote for the war

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1638199002150715394?t=NGuxmXX7KNXNbOXYptAnkA&s=19

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I assume this is already being used to paint people who think Blair is a war criminal as secret Tories

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

2019 lib Dem voters aka the statistically insignificant sample

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Can't think why all the people who work in London are unwilling to come after the big racist gang of rapists with clubs and guns

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/The_TUC/status/1638513698187689984?s=20

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

:toot:

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

thank you comrade reaper

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

how could this happen in my neoliberalism

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Boris currently lying his rear end off to the privileges committee. Got him this time!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

Boris currently lying his rear end off to the privileges committee. Got him this time!

*Retains his seat at the next election and is rewarded with a lifetime peerage* ah well nevertheless

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I do enjoy the media trying to push bojo as our trump where he's a uniquely dishonest politician and ruined everything, except he was only in for like a year and did gently caress all except catch covid and try to get some new curtains

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
cincinnati

cincinnati !!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kieth has decided to praise thatcher in the speech he's giving today lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1638893959320567808?t=foIuUNlI_p5IBIP_lfgDrA&s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Private Eye has always been stuffed full of terrible opinion pieces but having a Luke Akehurst chatbot write the literature reviews seems a bit much even for them. This poo poo is like a dog trying to understand Capital vol 1

https://imgur.com/IpkO56W

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

What a shocking turn of events!

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

I do enjoy the media trying to push bojo as our trump where he's a uniquely dishonest politician and ruined everything, except he was only in for like a year and did gently caress all except catch covid and try to get some new curtains

I'd argue that Boris' brand of cultural populism was a lot more effective and far-reaching than Donald's

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Starmer has more skeletons in his closet than most MPs which is saying something.

His career really shoulda excluded him from being labour leader, it's like the most authoritarian and anti-person career you could have

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Starmer is labour leader partly *because* he has about ten career kill switches incorporated into his weird puffy body ready for use

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Betjeman posted:

I'd argue that Boris' brand of cultural populism was a lot more effective and far-reaching than Donald's

He's just been riding the same wave of right wing garbage that's been around since before I was born, I don't think he's personally been very influential on the policital landscape because his opinions are dime a dozen mainstream

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Shogi posted:

Private Eye has always been stuffed full of terrible opinion pieces but having a Luke Akehurst chatbot write the literature reviews seems a bit much even for them. This poo poo is like a dog trying to understand Capital vol 1

https://imgur.com/IpkO56W

i dunno about private eye anymore, i used to really like it but as i’ve grown up i’ve realised that the politics and foreign correspondent stuff is dodgy as heck. also i think there’s an anti trans cartoon every issue now?

trouble is they do pretty good investigative journalism and their specialty correspondents seem very knowledgeable about their remits

the book review is section is loving dire for years anyway, the tv review guy at least tries to be funny

in short, throw the first 3 pages out and it’s an ok read

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jel Shaker posted:

i dunno about private eye anymore, i used to really like it but as i’ve grown up i’ve realised that the politics and foreign correspondent stuff is dodgy as heck. also i think there’s an anti trans cartoon every issue now?

trouble is they do pretty good investigative journalism and their specialty correspondents seem very knowledgeable about their remits

the book review is section is loving dire for years anyway, the tv review guy at least tries to be funny

You have to take some of it with a pinch of salt. I used to take it at face value but then they had a bit on my then boss in Doing the Rounds that was complete bollox. (This was over 25 years ago).
The book reviews bit is a bit annoying except where they highlight all the mutual backscratching that goes on.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jel Shaker posted:

They're still fundamentally establishment as gently caress, they're not Good Guys

Much like the FT they're only interested in the system working less worse (so that the broader status quo can be maintained and the rich can keep getting richer)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1638857991658291200?s=12&t=t5tiuHEdU31jr3-QGztGWg

tough on weed crime, tough on the causes of weed crime (the causes are left as an exercise to the reader)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Reefer Madness seems too modern for Starmer, I expect him to bang on about more Victorian moral panics like the evils of cheap Gin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Reefer Madness seems too modern for Starmer, I expect him to bang on about more Victorian moral panics like the evils of cheap Gin.

At this point would it even be surprising if next year those gin dispensing cats were back, but now in an app form that's worse?