Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Antonymous posted:

its not related but Kucinich's wife is over 6 feet tall and well, look at them together lol

he's always hugging her and getting doted on like a little kid but he looks like a gremlin, I love it

king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

box of rocks labelled nickel in the vault at the bank has been financially engineered to be worth $4 billion, just don’t look inside, the whole economy will collapse!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KITV4/status/1638058801294082048?s=20

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Relevant Tangent posted:

1776 was the pivot point
all of this is the result of the stolen land and peoples

FTFY

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

“How Europe Underdeveloped Africa” by Walter Rodney

“Open Veins of Latin America” by Eduardo Galeano

I’d also recommend “A Certain Amount of Madness: The Life Politics and Legacies of Thomas Sankara” by Amber Murray

Quoting so I can find it later

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jel Shaker posted:

box of rocks labelled nickel in the vault at the bank has been financially engineered to be worth $4 billion, just don’t look inside, the whole economy will collapse!

Schrödinger's nickels

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Listened to one anaylst who reckoned "70-08% of the publicly traded S&P 500 are worthless".

I'm sure it was just hot air, didn't mean anything, haha. Love a good laugh we do.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Listened to one anaylst who reckoned "70-08% of the publicly traded S&P 500 are worthless".

I'm sure it was just hot air, didn't mean anything, haha. Love a good laugh we do.

He's very close to being right. It's 100% though

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
economy looks great. gently caress yeah.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Good, I hope he died painfully and in terror.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

i say swears online posted:

jesus christ paul volcker was 6'7"

A lich with a kill count to match

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PoundSand posted:

What savings? The couple grand of stimi checks? The unemployment benefits that ended 2 years ago?

And honestly what wages? Sure I guess I saw a spike in the lowest paying jobs, like I saw fast food places in my area advertising as high as like 18 bucks, but that's still not enough money to have hoarded some sort of imaginary warchest. A lot of people even lost money, I know my wife's university cut salaries by almost 10% across the board, those never came back. My job didn't cut wages per se but they did put a freeze on raising them ("due to hard times") and changed various corporate policies that were all effective pay cuts nothing huge but just getting nickeled and dimed.

Did tech just boom so hard everyone's estimates are way off or is this just something all financial reporting has decided to lie about for reasons?

the year is 21xx

earth is now barely inhabitable. the $1400 covid checks were the cause

Palladium has issued a correction as of 12:47 on Mar 21, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

*david caruso putting on shades* looks like his investment... went bust.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that seems like uh there was more envolved than a dispute over rent

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

P I V O T

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

the US is absolutely bleeding-edge in designing new ways to transfer wealth upward.

unrelated: Strong & Stable

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1638137304387670016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That might be the most annoying tweet ever, because he's right but he posted it in the most ignorable format ever, the long tweet

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

the US is absolutely bleeding-edge in designing new ways to transfer wealth upward.

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1623017996699443202

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I don’t agree with this take. He dismisses it at the end, but the people choosing to take the risk (management, kinda shareholders) are the ones that ate poo poo before and will be if it happens again. “but my depositors were made whole” the CFO says as he is unemployed and embarrassed by the downfall of his bank?

like management are capitalist ghouls and will be fine, but they still want to avoid getting canned when their venture goes up in smoke.

On top of that, depositors have more or less always been implicitly protected in our system by the feds doing shotgun marriages and the like when things get dicey. It’s hardly a new paradigm, just temporarily more explicit.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Uninsured depositors have always taken a haircut when a bank failed

And they've had to wait until the assets were unwound for their 90% or whatever.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
We're going to kill the very concept of money in order to prevent rich people from losing anything and I am very excited for it.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Swiss media interviewing junior CS employees on what went wrong: "it was the hateful Fake Financial News and Society that failed us!"

https://twitter.com/LuzernerZeitung/status/1638125543194349569

Marco posted:

• "Marco" works at Credit Suisse.
  • He is disappointed by the events of the last few days, and he blames the media.
  • So far, he hopes to keep his job. He hasn't written any applications yet.
  • Marco is between 20 and 30 years old.
"There was a hunt for CS".

For me, one thing is clear: The fact that it has come to this point at all is not primarily due to the incompetence of the CS management. Rather, our society and the media are to blame. Last week, the head of the Saudi National Bank said that he didn't think Credit Suisse needed new capital because the numbers were good. After that, the numbers tanked. Not primarily because he said that, but because the media twisted his words.

They are responsible for this crash, because in recent weeks and months there has been a veritable hounding of CS. This permanent bashing in virtually all media has shaped the image of CS among the population - and accordingly also among our clientele. In my opinion, 20 Minuten and Inside Paradeplatz were the worst. Our air was cut off and our image went down the drain.

In my opinion, it wouldn't have come to this if the media had reported more neutrally. Many words were twisted, untruths were spread. A lot of damage was done because the media only focused on the clicks. And I'm not just talking about CS - the Swiss financial center as a whole has also suffered.
"This is the saddest thing that could happen," I've heard a few times now. Most of the people I've spoken to don't like the idea of soon being a UBS employee at all.
I'm not leaving the boat anytime soon. I am not actively looking for a job yet. But my CV would be ready. First, I want to know what it's really like and what's going on behind the scenes. I want to stay at CS as long as that's possible. Because the job at CS is one of the most awesome things that has ever happened to me. We were actually always motivated to become the best bank again.

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG

Morbus posted:

"money isn't real", i assure myself as i close my eyes and ram the 21st century with my lovely empire

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

The eurozone narrowly avoided a recession last year thanks to Ireland's outlandish growth.

But then about a month ago Ireland quietly revised their growth figures to near stagnation. But nobody has plugged that back into the eurozone figures. So it's likely the eurozone has already entered a recession but nobody seems interested in updating it for irelands proper growth numbers.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

coelomate posted:

“but my depositors were made whole” the CFO says as he is unemployed and embarrassed by the downfall of his bank?

like management are capitalist ghouls and will be fine, but they still want to avoid getting canned when their venture goes up in smoke

not really, they will be paid handsomely and fail upwards, they won't give a gently caress if their bank goes poof. whoopsie, on to the next one!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

Enterprising Californians beat Gavin Newsome to solving the homeless crisis by using one simple trick!

https://twitter.com/OnlyBangersEth/status/1637585710285717504?t=zf_tjTtzCXrqkAdhF-_LqA&s=19

this videos more than a year old I wonder if that woman’s still there

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Swiss media interviewing junior CS employees on what went wrong: "it was the hateful Fake Financial News and Society that failed us!"

Bankergate

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/macronewswire/status/1638156244946141187?s=20

I Can't Believe It's Not A Recession®

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Buffer posted:

Uninsured depositors have always taken a haircut when a bank failed

And they've had to wait until the assets were unwound for their 90% or whatever.

This is not at all true! It could be true for any given failure, but it hasn't been for over a decade. In 2008, IndyMac uninsured depositors had losses, but nobody has since then: https://www.americanbanker.com/opinion/will-fdic-keep-protecting-failed-banks-uninsured-deposits

And there have been a lot of failures! Always something orchestrated to protect even the uninsured. It's much more unusual for uninsured depositors to take a loss.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Marenghi posted:

The eurozone narrowly avoided a recession last year thanks to Ireland's outlandish growth.

But then about a month ago Ireland quietly revised their growth figures to near stagnation. But nobody has plugged that back into the eurozone figures. So it's likely the eurozone has already entered a recession but nobody seems interested in updating it for irelands proper growth numbers.

yeah the Bloomberg article is actually pretty decent, but with extremely dumb analogies

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sparkling Economic Pain

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

coelomate posted:

I don’t agree with this take. He dismisses it at the end, but the people choosing to take the risk (management, kinda shareholders) are the ones that ate poo poo before and will be if it happens again. “but my depositors were made whole” the CFO says as he is unemployed and embarrassed by the downfall of his bank?

like management are capitalist ghouls and will be fine, but they still want to avoid getting canned when their venture goes up in smoke.

On top of that, depositors have more or less always been implicitly protected in our system by the feds doing shotgun marriages and the like when things get dicey. It’s hardly a new paradigm, just temporarily more explicit.

Isn’t this all very similar to most companies that don’t do everything in their power to maximize stock growth get sued to hell and back by the investors. It’s just the depositors moving their liquid funds around to whoever is promising the most growth.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Buffer posted:

We're going to kill the very concept of money in order to prevent rich people from losing anything and I am very excited for it.

It kind of reminds me of the military and foreign policy decisions being taken at the (end of the) End of History.

Take covid. Killing the idea of public health, disease control, even disease as a bad thing that should be avoided, to prevent rich people from losing any money - these are insane decisions.

It wasn't the $1400 cheques, obviously, but covid was the moment where these people all having unchallenged delusions for three decades hit a wall.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 13:46 on Mar 21, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
hows that worked out before

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How does Liz Ann Sonders know what dates to align this graph to...what's she hiding from us.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don't think the delusions are on rich people's end if they're actively being catered to in all the bailouts

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

In Training posted:

How does Liz Ann Sonders know what dates to align this graph to...what's she hiding from us.

She aligned the highs like a good numbermancer

Buffer
May 6, 2007

coelomate posted:

This is not at all true! It could be true for any given failure, but it hasn't been for over a decade. In 2008, IndyMac uninsured depositors had losses, but nobody has since then: https://www.americanbanker.com/opinion/will-fdic-keep-protecting-failed-banks-uninsured-deposits

And there have been a lot of failures! Always something orchestrated to protect even the uninsured. It's much more unusual for uninsured depositors to take a loss.

Post-2008 isn't normal dude. That's the land of moral hazard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Feelgood story of the day