Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Chorf campaign mechanics look to me like they came up with like 5 different ideas for what their campaign map could play like, shrugged, and went "eh put all of them in at once".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Cranappleberry posted:

it is kinda weird they changed the DE slave mechanic because a lot of players didn't like it only to reskin it with a few changes for chaos dwarves. But whatevs.

I was under the impression they simplified the DE slave mechanic because it wasn't really that engaged with for the outcomes you were getting. You got this big menu for directing who got slaves where and all it would ever do is change public order and income in that region, and it didn't take long for even that to be mostly irrelevant while you made giant piles of gold while reeling in slaves via revolts etc. You also didn't really have a system for using slaves up beyond commandments, rituals, and sending out a cruise ship full of party hags to Ulthuan which was always macro level not-city specific. Where this differs for the Chaos Dwarf factions I think is because of how you can establish what your settlements have purpose-wise you're going to want to push towards them in particular, and it's not just a singular UI you deal with but part of a greater balancing act of your various resource productions, tower position occupations and convoy shunting.

Kanos posted:

The Chorf campaign mechanics look to me like they came up with like 5 different ideas for what their campaign map could play like, shrugged, and went "eh put all of them in at once".

Chaos Dwarfs seem to me to be really engineered towards players who do want a bit more fiddling to do within their empires in opposition to the various factions where you strap a rocket to an angry minotaur and watch him trample the planet very quickly and your actual house management is very little.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Gonna be honest, having a hard time thinking anyone saying "this is just DE mechanic" is anything but a troll. Is it building off of it? Absolutely. Is it far more of what the DE mechanic should be? Yes. Is it a thematic fit and an ambitious attempt at making a more engaging economy? Hell yes.

"Oh, beastmen have unit caps now? Pfft, more like Tombeast Kingmen, right?", I said, as I hated fun and good ideas.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I get the impressions that Chaos Dwarfs want to build tall and stick in the Darklands for a while to build up their infrastructure.

They don't interact with Growth, so they require Labour and Materials to build up. Each new settlement requires a certain amount of Labour to properly extract materials so if you expand too much early on your materials gain will slow, and it will be harder to build up all of your stuff.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 21, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is their unit cap per army or building-bound ala TKs?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Dandywalken posted:

Is their unit cap per army or building-bound ala TKs?

they showed in the video that it's factionwide, and i believe it's buildings that raise it.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It kind of looks like CD's are the culmination of a lot of different faction mechanics, which is great, because they're my favourites.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I did not, in fact, need to restart

Settra wiped Skarbrand's whole stack, but with no Blood Hosts active and without Skarbrand's huge appetite on the field, I was actually able to recruit more than half a stack. Meanwhile, my main enemies also got into other wars that took their focus off me. I gave up on any thoughts of expanding further than my core provinces, and if a tough enemy stack wandered toward anything that wasn't my capital, I let them take it and then rolled in to raze it again when they wandered off.

Now Skarbrand is just running in circles around my border, beating up anything that crosses his path and torching any settlement that isn't actively defended. Every so often, an enemy comes in and snipes my undefended minors, and then Skarbrand detours over to take them back and (now that he's got a full stack) beat up any enemies that dared to linger. I've been doing great on cash ever since I managed to sack Khemri while Settra's main stack was busy elsewhere. I feel like I'm almost ready to start rolling my neighbors and snowballing...

...so naturally, now the Black Pyramid is rumbling, just the next province over from me. With only one stack of my own, I guess all I can do is hope they don't focus on me, and look for opportunities to summon up Blood Host reinforcements.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If Khorne cares not where the blood flows from, but only that it does, shouldn't the Greenskins be some of his biggest proponents?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If Khorne cares not where the blood flows from, but only that it does, shouldn't the Greenskins be some of his biggest proponents?

Gork and Mork are better than him. orcs don't care about some puny humie god.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You’d think so, but greenskins rightfully think the chaos gods are chumps and worship their own thing

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Although there is that story from 40k of an Ork warband that somehow got transported into the Warp and waged a WAAAGH across one of the planets with such ferocity that Khorne rewarded them by... transporting them to the foot of the Brass Citadel, going so far as to revive them whenever they die so that they can fight eternally against Khorne's hordes. It's basically Greenskin heaven, and Khorne fuckin loves them for it, even if they don't worship him.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They refuse to honor and worship him. They've got their own thing going.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gonkish posted:

Although there is that story from 40k of an Ork warband that somehow got transported into the Warp and waged a WAAAGH across one of the planets with such ferocity that Khorne rewarded them by... transporting them to the foot of the Brass Citadel, going so far as to revive them whenever they die so that they can fight eternally against Khorne's hordes. It's basically Greenskin heaven, and Khorne fuckin loves them for it, even if they don't worship him.
Not quite
https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tuska

quote:

Tuska made his mark in the Eye of Terror, by defeating the Daemon hordes on several Daemon Worlds, and seemed unstoppable until his Waaagh! crash-landed on a flesh planet. The planet belonged to a mighty Daemon Prince of Khorne[2] known as the Blood Prince, who soon led his Daemonic hordes against the invading Orks. In the battle that followed, Tuska suffered many deep wounds and his Boyz took heavy losses. Just as the Blood Prince was about to finish Tuska, his Weirdboyz managed to distract the Daemon using their psychic powers, giving Tuska enough time to impale the creature between its legs with his Power Klaw before being killed himself[1]. The Warboss’ vast horde was later eventually slain to an Ork by the wrathful Daemon Prince and his minions.[2]

However, the story did not end there for Tuska. Khorne had such joy in watching the murderous spectacle, that he ensured that Tuska's Waaagh! rose once more the very next dawn. Now, the Orks repeat the fight over and over again, for the Blood God was so impressed by their limitless battlelust that he took the Orks into his own domain. In the shadow of the Brass Citadel, his elite Bloodletter generals battle against Daemon-Killa’s undying horde on a daily basis[2]. This suits the Warboss just fine: he has finally found a good fight that never ends.[1]

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The chaos gods get nothing from the orcs, and in fact hate them like crazy for it. The orcs only worship Gork and Mork, and do it with every breath.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Important thing to note: all the chaos gods are incredibly petty and you shouldn't take a single thing they say at face value.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i like to think of em as the 4 ways in which nerds in large groups turn into sociopaths. too aggro, dont bathe, conspiracy theories, sexual assault

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Maybe to an extent, but I suspect that the blood which flows in an active act of worship to khorne, gives the blood god a whole lot more juice than a random act of violence or workplace accident. For an ork, krumpin is just their nine to five, and they love their job

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
“Love what you do, and you’ll never work a day in your life” - Khorne

“Don’t let your hobby become a job” Thrugg the Slopper

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kanos posted:

I don't love how much management poo poo there is BUT I haven't played the campaign it might be fun to get into.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i like to think of em as the 4 ways in which nerds in large groups turn into sociopaths. too aggro, dont bathe, conspiracy theories, sexual assault

What are the Horned Rat and Hashut then?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gejnor posted:

Uh guys.. GUYS?!

Remember those posts on Reddit about adding a new region to Attila and Warhammer 3? How it may lead to new stuff added via modding?

Well.. uh.. They did it.

A literal mini campaign set in Albion has been added to the workshop as a proof of concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o50iKKhd36I

We're in a new era of modding, one that promises to lengthen this games lifetime by a decade or more!

That's pretty rad. I often think what this game needs is a few smaller campaign settings, maybe based around specific factions. Like you could have a map that's pretty much just the Empire and enemy armies spawn in from off-map to the sides. Or the same concept with the Wood Elf forest, or Ulthuan. Or just a massive sea with some coastlines for Vampire Coast.

Sometimes you want a massive hyper-campaign, but sometimes you don't want the turn times that come with simulating fights in Cathay that have nothing to do with you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gort posted:

That's pretty rad. I often think what this game needs is a few smaller campaign settings, maybe based around specific factions. Like you could have a map that's pretty much just the Empire and enemy armies spawn in from off-map to the sides. Or the same concept with the Wood Elf forest, or Ulthuan. Or just a massive sea with some coastlines for Vampire Coast.

Sometimes you want a massive hyper-campaign, but sometimes you don't want the turn times that come with simulating fights in Cathay that have nothing to do with you.

They tried that with WH1 DLCs and it wasn't popular. The Beastmen and WEs both launched with mini-campaigns.

I like the idea though. I'd love a multi-level K8P fight.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I didn't like the total war 1 mini wood elf campaign because I would constantly have people coming from off map that I could not deal with. Otherwise I liked it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Charlz Guybon posted:

Chemistry nerds and train nerds

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Hashut is Elon Musk of the chaos gods, big business nerd gone tyrant

Horned Rat is groupthink mob yes-yes

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Ok festus is tons of fun. Probably my favorite Warriors of Chaos faction so far. Going to war with the elector counts and Karl is what I want, and Archaon takes forever to get down to the empire.

Also his passive healing ability is cracked, my front lines just never die with him around. Basic marauders of nurgle are monsters with him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So as the vampires, is there any particular trick to fighting Empire armies with lots of guns and artillery? I'm now moving south and took Arkdorf, but Matorca is full of guns and I'm not used to playing vamps. I have a lord to act as an army ferry bringing Mannfred grave guard (both normal and great weapons) and black knights, but I'm not sure it's enough - I need my second army guarding the north and west against the unending tides of beastmen.

Or maybe I should let vampiric corruption ramp up in the Border Princes and let that weaken Matorca for me.

I am using autoresolve because I suck at the tactical battles, though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The mini campaigns had specific playstyles and only one way to play them, I cant help but think some more effort would have made them better recieved. Rome 2 had 5? 6?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Bats (of varying sizes) and dogs should be enough to disrupt their ranged units

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I was under the impression they simplified the DE slave mechanic because it wasn't really that engaged with for the outcomes you were getting. You got this big menu for directing who got slaves where and all it would ever do is change public order and income in that region, and it didn't take long for even that to be mostly irrelevant while you made giant piles of gold while reeling in slaves via revolts etc. You also didn't really have a system for using slaves up beyond commandments, rituals, and sending out a cruise ship full of party hags to Ulthuan which was always macro level not-city specific. Where this differs for the Chaos Dwarf factions I think is because of how you can establish what your settlements have purpose-wise you're going to want to push towards them in particular, and it's not just a singular UI you deal with but part of a greater balancing act of your various resource productions, tower position occupations and convoy shunting.

Chaos Dwarfs seem to me to be really engineered towards players who do want a bit more fiddling to do within their empires in opposition to the various factions where you strap a rocket to an angry minotaur and watch him trample the planet very quickly and your actual house management is very little.

again, they definitely expanded on it, which seems cool, but the basis (the spreadsheet) is what Dark Elves had before. It's weird to me to change the DE mechanic to something less engaging because players didn't enjoy it/engage with it for whatever reason, then give their original mechanic to Chaos Dwarfs.

I also like the old Dark Elf mechanic more so I'll probably like the Chaos Dwarfs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And pulled it off, after which Karl Franz decided to seek a non-aggression pact, and I will honor it for the time being.

Next time you summon the elector counts, Franz, it may be a wise idea to send away the witch hunters first...

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gejnor posted:

Uh guys.. GUYS?!

We're in a new era of modding, one that promises to lengthen this games lifetime by a decade or more!

WAR
OF
VENGANCE the beard

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 21, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cythereal posted:

So as the vampires, is there any particular trick to fighting Empire armies with lots of guns and artillery? I'm now moving south and took Arkdorf, but Matorca is full of guns and I'm not used to playing vamps. I have a lord to act as an army ferry bringing Mannfred grave guard (both normal and great weapons) and black knights, but I'm not sure it's enough - I need my second army guarding the north and west against the unending tides of beastmen.

Or maybe I should let vampiric corruption ramp up in the Border Princes and let that weaken Matorca for me.

Guns and arty you can really screw over with bats and dogs, as said. One unit can disrupt multiple and versus Empire poo poo they can get a really good kill rate as well.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gejnor posted:

Uh guys.. GUYS?!

Remember those posts on Reddit about adding a new region to Attila and Warhammer 3? How it may lead to new stuff added via modding?

Well.. uh.. They did it.

A literal mini campaign set in Albion has been added to the workshop as a proof of concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o50iKKhd36I

This rules, looking forward to what kind of freak poo poo the modders can put together in the future.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Cythereal posted:

Autoresolve is very unkind to some factions and undead are one of them. It doesn't seem to take into account the level of healing you have nor the ability to tarpit the enemy and crush their ranged with dogs and such. Until you get an insane murder beast of an army it is not going to fare well in auto resolves. That said, to obtain a murderous army you can just make some cheap armies of zombies and skeletons then smash them against your enemies to make some good raise dead sites. You'll be rolling in blood knights and terrorgeists before you know it. No need to ferry good troops to your front lines with all these perfectly good ones laying there in the ground just waiting to be risen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Squibbles posted:

Autoresolve is very unkind to some factions and undead are one of them. It doesn't seem to take into account the level of healing you have nor the ability to tarpit the enemy and crush their ranged with dogs and such. Until you get an insane murder beast of an army it is not going to fare well in auto resolves. That said, to obtain a murderous army you can just make some cheap armies of zombies and skeletons then smash them against your enemies to make some good raise dead sites. You'll be rolling in blood knights and terrorgeists before you know it. No need to ferry good troops to your front lines with all these perfectly good ones laying there in the ground just waiting to be risen.

Fair enough. I enjoy the strategic map part of Total War games but am awful at the tactical battles. :/

Oh well, I'm rolling south with Mannfred. May as well go for the achievements for taking out all the southern factions before I wheel north.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Cythereal posted:

Fair enough. I enjoy the strategic map part of Total War games but am awful at the tactical battles. :/

Oh well, I'm rolling south with Mannfred. May as well go for the achievements for taking out all the southern factions before I wheel north.

Yeah just remember the vcounts are not so tied to recruitment buildings as other factions since they can raise good units from battle sites where large amounts of units have died... And this includes your own units. So if you have a losing battle with 3-4000 zombies dying you will be able to aise some truly powerful stuff there in short order. That, combined with their ability to have some of their units not actually die when they get wiped out in battle, really makes it so their faction is one of the few where a loss in battle is sometimes not even a disadvantage

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 21, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

being bad at the battles is basically an advantage for Vampires. Just keep throwing zombies at the problem until you get a raise dead pool full of elite units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
In very broad generalities, autoresolve favors ranged units.