Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

there's no real reason for people to buy new phones - if we stopped letting fly by night idiots write apps that take 9 gigabits of memory to take notes and spy on you and forced manufacturers to allow for replaceable parts we could just stop making new mobile devices

i'd argue that 99% of all personal electronics purchases would be unnecessary under communism

Yeah, but what will I base my personality on then, smartypants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

BonHair posted:

Yeah, but what will I base my personality on then, smartypants?

the same thing you base it on now. trash.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

mawarannahr posted:

jfc
Boeing lawyers argue Max victims didn’t have time to suffer pain - Puget Sound Business Journal
Lawyers for the Boeing Co. (NYSE: BA) are using legal precedent in Illinois to argue in court that the victims of one of the crashes of its 737 Max jets did not have time to feel pain in the fatal final moment of the accidents.

The case being heard stems from the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302, which occurred in March 2019 and killed all 157 people aboard the aircraft when it went down shortly after takeoff from Addis Ababa.

According to Feb. 27 federal court filings, and as first reported by the Wall Street Journal, Boeing’s lawyers are arguing that the only evidence of pain and suffering comes from the testimony of a plaintiffs’ expert witness and countered that its own expert showed the aircraft was traveling too fast at the time of impact for there to have been conscious pain.

That’s important because of the definition of conscious pain and suffering under Illinois law. Boeing lawyers cited multiple cases as precedent, as the attorneys say that should limit damages awarded plaintiffs for grief and loss.

[/quote]

imagine all the pain the victims would have suffered if they continued their lives! in fact Boeing should be able to ask for money from their family for services rendered

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EoinCannon posted:

I read somewhere yesterday that France is second in number of McDonald's after the US. I believe they have a fair bit of domestic demand.

France is a hamburger desert:

(This map may or may not be up to date.)

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

capitalism brought kfc to china and made it good... mad?

My first KFC was in Guangzhou and it was very nice. Like 15 years later we got a KFC in the city and it's pretty dire, like eating styrofoam. They don't even have lager and cider like Burger King.

Tho Burger King sucks, too.

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 09:41 on Mar 21, 2023

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

LOL I had no idea Hesburger was an international chain with hundreds of restaurants. There are two Hesburgers on the Reeperbahn in Hamburg (apparently the only ones in Germany) and I always thought it was a local company, just some dude who has two burger stands.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Peggotty posted:

LOL I had no idea Hesburger was an international chain with hundreds of restaurants. There are two Hesburgers on the Reeperbahn in Hamburg (apparently the only ones in Germany) and I always thought it was a local company, just some dude who has two burger stands.

This is HeS:

(With his wife, who I once mistook for a cleaning lady during a DJ gig. Turns out they actually live in the hotel they own.)

e: They used to have a restaurant in Damascus and Teheran at some point, I think.

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 11:29 on Mar 21, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Coolness Averted posted:

It gets even better: JPMorgan and FTX apparently were involved in a crypto scheme where those rocks were security/backing for some crypto token
https://twitter.com/Hotchy6/status/1636920277735993346

A penny for whomever dropped dime on the nickel

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weka posted:

Those are mostly children.

Then the curse of death has already begun. Just 60 years to go. Less given current trends.
I did IVF. It's the bank I want to kill

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This is HeS:

(With his wife, who I once mistook for a cleaning lady during a DJ gig. Turns out they actually live in the hotel they own.)

e: They used to have a restaurant in Damascus and Teheran at some point, I think.

My first reaction to seeing this was "this is a jeb bush face swap"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

COPE 27 posted:

Is your microwave made by garmin?

GE. It's poo poo. The vent on it is broken and since I cook a lot I am trying to convince the wife that we need a new one. But the budget isn't quite up for replacing it yet.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

capitalism brought kfc to china and made it good... mad?

KFC outside the US i'm told is somehow good and every so often it tricks me into buying KFC and I'm reminded how garbo it is. The only KFC that was any good were the regional flavors and they cut them all so who cares.
Go to popeyes. It's better in every way.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
cane's came into the area here and basically demolished all the other chicken joints

and frankly for the better

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

GE. It's poo poo. The vent on it is broken and since I cook a lot I am trying to convince the wife that we need a new one. But the budget isn't quite up for replacing it yet.

I got the cheapest Samsung last time round and it's great because the interior is coated with something that makes it super easy to keep clean. (Same as with the expensiver models.)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I got the cheapest Samsung last time round and it's great because the interior is coated with something that makes it super easy to keep clean. (Same as with the expensiver models.)

It came with the house, the dishwasher is also poo poo and so is the oven. So I will hopefully get to replace all four next black friday or whenever.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

3D Megadoodoo posted:

that coating probably causes throat cancer or something

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

It came with the house, the dishwasher is also poo poo and so is the oven. So I will hopefully get to replace all four next black friday or whenever.

Are things actually cheaper on Black Friday? I almost never shop during sales because (apart from the few attractive products every shop gets like three of, all of which are sold to staff or staff's relatives before the store opens) nothing seems cheap.

Brain Curry posted:

that coating probably causes throat cancer or something

That's why I haven't eaten it.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Are things actually cheaper on Black Friday? I almost never shop during sales because (apart from the few attractive products every shop gets like three of, all of which are sold to staff or staff's relatives before the store opens) nothing seems cheap.

it tends to be, Black Friday deals in the US are usually a combination of cheap stuff heavily discounted to get people in the door and clearance pricing on last year's models and other large items they want to get rid of to make space for stuff that sells better over the holidays

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Zvahl posted:

cane's came into the area here and basically demolished all the other chicken joints

and frankly for the better

This place is insanely popular and has daily drive-thru backups that spill way out into the street. I like fried chicken as much as anybody, but I still don't get it.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This place is insanely popular and has daily drive-thru backups that spill way out into the street. I like fried chicken as much as anybody, but I still don't get it.

for me it's that the menu is tiny so even big lines are nothing, and also it's not blatantly homophobic like the only other edible fast food chicken in the area

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Zvahl posted:

for me it's that the menu is tiny so even big lines are nothing, and also it's not blatantly homophobic like the only other edible fast food chicken in the area

Yeah, I was going to say that it rivals the Chick Fil A that recently had to remodel its whole parking lot to stop the same kind of drive-thru spillover into traffic. I also don't get that one.

I'm particularly gripey about these because they clog up the bike lanes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Chairman posted:

it tends to be, Black Friday deals in the US are usually a combination of cheap stuff heavily discounted to get people in the door and clearance pricing on last year's models and other large items they want to get rid of to make space for stuff that sells better over the holidays

Ah OK. I've bought quite a few heavily discounted things because they were being replaced by new models (or becoming "obsolete" like my loving great TV that was probably the last one sold here that didn't have Ethernet), but never during an "event" sale.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, I was going to say that it rivals the Chick Fil A that recently had to remodel its whole parking lot to stop the same kind of drive-thru spillover into traffic. I also don't get that one.

I'm particularly gripey about these because they clog up the bike lanes.

there's your answer to the question though, they're the only two edible chicken fast foods and all the other ones are universally recognized as garbage so your only choice for chicken fast food is christian fascists or the golden retriever

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
gently caress Caine’s, it’s objectively not fried chicken if they don’t have actual identifiable chicken parts (sandwiches excepted). And it’s subjectively even worse because dark meat is the best.

In summation, Popeye’s owns, and Church’s can be shockingly good if you get it when it’s fresh (meaning after church in the long lines, thus the name).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Remulak posted:

gently caress Caine’s, it’s objectively not fried chicken if they don’t have actual identifiable chicken parts (sandwiches excepted). And it’s subjectively even worse because dark meat is the best.

I've never had Caine's, I don't understand why everyone is going apeshit for drive-thru chicken strips

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
it's because fried chicken is good op

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Zvahl posted:

there's your answer to the question though, they're the only two edible chicken fast foods and all the other ones are universally recognized as garbage so your only choice for chicken fast food is christian fascists or the golden retriever

We have Ponko and Zaxby's, which are decent. KFC is trash, yes. Maybe Popeyes too, I haven't been in years. The thing is, we have some great local soul food joints, but they aren't chains with drivethrus, so I guess they get looked over.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Remulak posted:

In summation, Popeye’s owns, and Church’s can be shockingly good if you get it when it’s fresh (meaning after church in the long lines, thus the name).

Canes is the best place to get sauce delivery meat

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zvahl posted:

It's not that good! It's no KFC!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zvahl posted:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Nickel Standard.

Nickelbugs.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Remulak posted:

The sandwiches are just 3 strips on texas toast. I give Cane's a pass because the original one is this absolute hole in the wall right off the LSU campus with a great vibe. Now that the owner is doing TV shows and poo poo, I expect him to become the new Papa John in a few years with some off the wall racist remarks which would not surprise me since founder is an LSU graduate.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

if i had a nickel for every time i found a rock in these bags

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

apatheticman posted:

Your posting could be better.

That's a drat lie and you know it

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
RIP to anyone who doesn't live near an Ezell's

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Fitzy Fitz posted:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Laterite posted:

RIP to anyone who doesn't live near an Ezell's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fitzy Fitz posted:

if i had nickel for every time i found rock in these bags

thread title without the "a"