Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Just started playing Cruelty Squad.

loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bumhead posted:

loving hell.

a strobing headache of the soul

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Countblanc posted:

I admit I've only played around 10 matches so I don't have a full vision yet, but I think you'd have to fall REALLY far behind, more than I've seen, for that to be the case. The game has its own version of Blue Shells for the slower team to cash out on, stuff like increasing the next wave size of the opponent or a temporary stat boost. Not to say every losing team will bring it back in the 11th hour, sometimes you fall behind just because your team is worse and just... continues to do worse, but I've both been on the giving and receiving end of comebacks.

Matches are also super fast, like 8-10 minutes, so losing doesn't really sting. The exception is the game mode where you gather energy batteries, which took 22 minutes the one game I played and I hope that gets normalized to be faster.

E: I think what I like most about Exoprimal being a race/fight is that it manages to do it without feeling like the game is trying to be an e-sport or whatever. Like it feels weirdly like someone took the multiplayer competitive minigames from old 90s era console games and made them into a fully featured game - it's fast and silly and flashy, and not at all like it's trying desperately to make the player feel like poo poo when their team is bad (or worse, they are). It feels competitive without being Competitive, idk.

That all sounds cool to me, there need to be way more multiplayer games without the esports baggage. I haven't played it or looked at the gameplay much, but it has been on my radar because the concept is so funny. When people are talking about it I can't tell if you're "pvping" by way of doing better at the pve part than the other team or if there's segments where you shoot at/battle the other team?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Lost Epoch doesn't support the deck at all (anti cheat stuff I think) and that's a must for looter arpgs for me.

I enjoyed the hell out of the d4 beta after going in with low expectations. I've always been a lukewarm Diablo fan (1 was great but 2 and 3 are just alright) but I really liked the changes in the console version of d3 and d4 brings all those to the PC release. It has great game feel and can run on the deck so far. I miss the free wheeling spec system of d3 as I'm wary of the respec costs but still good fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wolcen seems fine and possibly even good after the updates, it's cool to see that they continued supporting it in spite of the lukewarm reception at launch. That said, I'm so glad Last Epoch exists because it's better in just about every way and it means I don't have to play Wolcen to get my ARPG fix from a game that didn't come from Blizzard.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

WarEternal posted:

That all sounds cool to me, there need to be way more multiplayer games without the esports baggage. I haven't played it or looked at the gameplay much, but it has been on my radar because the concept is so funny. When people are talking about it I can't tell if you're "pvping" by way of doing better at the pve part than the other team or if there's segments where you shoot at/battle the other team?

The format most maps follow is a race to finish "kill X dinos" objectives where your only interact with the other team is the announcer saying if you're going faster/slower than them + the occasional "your opponent activated a thing to make your next wave harder" blue shell mechanic. After your team finishes the race you're transported to a new map where you have a different objective - the ones I saw were a TF2 payload race, collecting batteries that spawn at fixed intervals on the map, or charging a special weapon's energy by killing dino waves and then using it to destroy barricades, and the faster you finished your race the bigger of a lead you can get here - and that's where you can actually see and interact with your opponent. It isn't like an arena or deathmatch, you still win by doing the objective, but you're able to directly interfere with the other team by either attacking them or in some cases messing with their objective (ie. blowing up their payload).

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

explosivo posted:

Wolcen seems fine and possibly even good after the updates, it's cool to see that they continued supporting it in spite of the lukewarm reception at launch. That said, I'm so glad Last Epoch exists because it's better in just about every way and it means I don't have to play Wolcen to get my ARPG fix from a game that didn't come from Blizzard.

Yeah, Last Epoch is probably a much better experience than Wolcen, even if the latter has made substantial improvements. Then again LE might have some growing pains of its own and who knows what will happen with it. It's also naturally more expensive.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bumhead posted:

loving hell.

one of the best games ever. it's so loving good.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I bought Wolcen and Warhammer:Inquisitor today for pennies on the dollar, I think it means I now have all major moden arpgs cept D4 which is overpriced.

LE does have good controller support to the point i started using it over m&k, but as I complained in the LE thread it has a forced autoattack on move skills which often sends you in the wrong direction. Hopefully that'll get fixed one day.

Grim Dawn is probably my no2 tbh, I like a lot of the classes and items. Still, being forced to run campaign several times gets old. There are some massive mod overhauls for Grim Dawn that add a million classes and items, to the point it can be overwhelming. Of note is a complete D2 campaign in Grim Dawn's clothes.

PoE I've tried to get into but dislike how easy it is to make a bad build and how hard it is to respec.

Inquisitor seems interesting as a diablo with guns, but I've only played 30 mins. It's got that Warhammer million-dlc problem I don't like how if you enable controller then m&k stops working. But it feels more like a m&k game anyway.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Chronicon remains this generations top arpg

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I really enjoyed my time with Cruelty Squad but I had to stop playing because the enemy that makes your FOV zoom in and out while the camera swings around when it looks at you kept giving me motion sickness, and I've never gotten that in a video game before. I think I got most of the way through it anyway.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Returning to Wolcen to check out its endgame update - they reset my online character to level 40 and since I forgot how to play it anyway I decided to restart. Found the game is actually 300% less janky in every single way if I simply chose not to play online, which is nice but also raises questions as to why my online latency delays cutscenes starting until after the level has rendered onscreen.

The stat tree is still really boring - the usual +2 or +5% with a handful of nodes that may grant something as drastic as +75% Dodge if you just got hit. The skill system is okay but overwhelmingly filled with "options" such as +10% Damage or -10% Resource Cost. My favourite activity in this kind of game is putting points in things, so I'm hugely disappointed here that my points feel very arbitrary. It does seem as if they've drastically reduced the sponginess of bosses though, which is nice.

I am enjoying the story the second time through. I feel like they may have reworked the earlier portions of it because I didn't remember most of it. It's still dumb (in a good way) and the MC is a classic mid-10s bro-sass protagonist. It is however hard to empathise with someone whose dad says "hey, don't loving look for your sister or I will end you" and then when the squad shows up to end you while you're in the middle of looking for your sister he's all like "I can't believe dad would do this, there has to be someone else behind it". He loving told you he'd literally kill you if you did this, in person, to your face.

Loot is okay. It comes in all the classic colours.
An important question is if those stat nodes or +10% damage options actually work now. IIRC at launch a lot of them didn't. You'd put points in and nothign would happen, but since it's an action game and no individual node was a huge change it was hard to tell.

It still has the magic and weapon skill resourcesbe one bar and using one pushes you into the other side so if you dual-wield a weapon and spell thing you can just spam skill forever, right?

explosivo posted:

Have you tried Grim Dawn or Chronicon?

chird posted:

Inquisitor seems interesting as a diablo with guns, but I've only played 30 mins. It's got that Warhammer million-dlc problem I don't like how if you enable controller then m&k stops working. But it feels more like a m&k game anyway.
In my experience, there's. Problem with depth. Like, you know how your equipment determines your active skills? Other than introducing a few new types as it goes on that's. All you get. Bolters, flamers, plasma, etc, that's all and they always have the same skills on them. Nothing huge/game-changing in the passive tree, either. Although I did only play one character, so maybe others are less bad about this?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zereth posted:

Have you tried Grim Dawn or Chronicon?

Yes, I put about 100 hours into Grim Dawn and around a dozen or so into Chronicon. Chronicon is a fun distraction but not something I found to have much depth at all and while it's a lot of fun to play it didn't really hold my attention for very long.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bumhead posted:

loving hell.

You are a flesh automaton animated by neurotransmitters.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It’s been a while since I bought a bundle from steam, if I already have something in the bundle it’ll let me gift that to someone right?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RandolphCarter posted:

It’s been a while since I bought a bundle from steam, if I already have something in the bundle it’ll let me gift that to someone right?

Steam bundles just discount for the games you already own, you don't get extras.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

kazil posted:

Steam bundles just discount for the games you already own, you don't get extras.

Bummer, thank you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1638212897703854081

mirror's edge being removed from Steam for no particularly good reason (its only online component is leaderboards)

get excited for the inevitable $70 low effort remaster in a couple of years

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1638212897703854081

mirror's edge being removed from Steam for no particularly good reason (its only online component is leaderboards)

get excited for the inevitable $70 low effort remaster in a couple of years

Not sure if that has changed over time, but Mirror's Edge used to be a standard Steam game, i.e. no EA login/launcher. I wouldn't be surprised if this delisting was there to make way for a mandatory launcher version.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FishMcCool posted:

Not sure if that has changed over time, but Mirror's Edge used to be a standard Steam game, i.e. no EA login/launcher. I wouldn't be surprised if this delisting was there to make way for a mandatory launcher version.
They're removing it from consoles, too.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Kins posted:

They're removing it from consoles, too.

Weird. Well, at any rate, I can't recommend it enough to anyone who doesn't own it already. It's currently on sale on Steam, and pretty sure it's also on GOG. Fantastic game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Kins posted:

Announced earlier today: The 2010 award-winning indie be-poor-and-miserable sim Cart Life, which was pulled from Steam in 2014 for various reasons ranging from technical to personal, is being bought back later this year by the original developer backed by a small team of Telltale veterans, with a new engine and additional content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-r3Gm7bkk4

Not really my jam, but I'm 100% sure it's somebody here's catnip so I'd be amiss not to share it.

Speaking of Telltale vets, Sam and Max Season 3's remaster should be out in a few months here though there's no release date yet

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Mirrors Edge really clicked with me. Sure it was short and pretty linear, but I had a blast on it. The sequel was still good fun, but not the same.

Plus the story was written by Terry Pratchett's daughter

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Bumhead posted:

loving hell.

H*ck yeah brother I hope it sticks

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What costs are involved in keeping a game on a digital storefront?

Sunsetting servers I get. Removing a single-player item from purchase doesn't make sense to me. I mean, unless they think it's going to cannibalize sales from other titles. Although that's improbable in the case of Mirror's Edge.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I honestly don’t know what I expected from Cruelty Squad, but I probably didn’t expect to.. well, like it as a game as much as I do?

The extent to which it’s visually hostile to the player is laugh out loud hilarious. I mean this is a real, genuine affront to humanity or our collective sense of decency. It’s brilliant.

But it’s really good? Like not in a wacky or zany way (but definitely that too) - the game feel and controls and shooting all feel really solid? It’s lovely and responsive and blowing these dudes into chunks is satisfying as gently caress.

Also a shout out to the audio. I burst out laughing when I got in the car for the first time. The vehicle engine sound in this game is the worst noise ever recorded and I love it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I bought like three games off my wishlist during the Steam sale and then ended up playing a game I already own but hadn't played in years (Deep Rock Galactic) all weekend instead.

in other news, Deep Rock Galactic is still pretty great

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ive never felt like i needed to play mirrors edge but now that it is being removed im like "poo poo i gotta buy it in case i want to play it sometime" and i wonder how many sales they get from that kind of fomo alone. probably literally years worth of the normal sales for such an old game.

then they can release a remaster later on and cash in again.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Fruits of the sea posted:

What costs are involved in keeping a game on a digital storefront?

Sunsetting servers I get. Removing a single-player item from purchase doesn't make sense to me. I mean, unless they think it's going to cannibalize sales from other titles. Although that's improbable in the case of Mirror's Edge.

Licensing fees also plays a part. Doesn’t Bad Company have licensed music?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Awesome! posted:

ive never felt like i needed to play mirrors edge but now that it is being removed im like "poo poo i gotta buy it in case i want to play it sometime" and i wonder how many sales they get from that kind of fomo alone. probably literally years worth of the normal sales for such an old game.

then they can release a remaster later on and cash in again.

Especially on the heels of the Dead Space remaster I'm suspecting similar, EA trying to "revive" IPs they already have which people have nostalgia for that rough sequels cratered.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
They still sell the original Dead Space even today and it's on EA Play so I dunno if an incoming remake is a plausible explanation. My guess is that their older servers are going down and they didn't think anyone would give a poo poo if they delist the old games. Maybe they're worried about some kind of EU consumer protection poo poo if they continue to sell a game that has a broken feature or something, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Mirror's Edge being delisted is essentially a mistake and they end up walking it back.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bumhead posted:

Also a shout out to the audio. I burst out laughing when I got in the car for the first time. The vehicle engine sound in this game is the worst noise ever recorded and I love it.

Just wait until you get to the swamp level. Amazing soundtrack

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Remaking Mirror's Edge would be a very strange decision. A big part of the design was the minimalist graphical style so you could easily see where you needed to go, that doesn't really lend itself well to a full remake with "better graphics".

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Bumhead posted:

I honestly don’t know what I expected from Cruelty Squad, but I probably didn’t expect to.. well, like it as a game as much as I do?

The extent to which it’s visually hostile to the player is laugh out loud hilarious. I mean this is a real, genuine affront to humanity or our collective sense of decency. It’s brilliant.

But it’s really good? Like not in a wacky or zany way (but definitely that too) - the game feel and controls and shooting all feel really solid? It’s lovely and responsive and blowing these dudes into chunks is satisfying as gently caress.

Yeah it’s my 2021 GOTY for all these reasons. There’s genuinely a lot of substance beneath the shityposty exterior. The soundtrack owns bones too.

I’d pay another $20 for an expansion mission pack. Game good.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Plugging the VR mod that became stable for CS this month:

https://crus.cc/mod/VR/

(warning, this site is roughly as offensive as the CS visuals... but also in a good way?)

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Another bundle question: is it possible to buy a bundle as a gift? Every time I try the “purchase as a gift” button is unusable

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RandolphCarter posted:

Another bundle question: is it possible to buy a bundle as a gift? Every time I try the “purchase as a gift” button is unusable

Nope, because your price would change depending on the recipient.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Buff Hardback posted:

Nope, because your price would change depending on the recipient.

That is dumb

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Remaking Mirror's Edge would be a very strange decision. A big part of the design was the minimalist graphical style so you could easily see where you needed to go, that doesn't really lend itself well to a full remake with "better graphics".

I doubt they'll remake ME because 1)Mirror's Edge 2 was already kind of a reboot and 2)the first game sold poorly but gained a cult following, there were calls for a sequel, they made ME2...and it also sold poorly. Pretty sure that franchise is buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

EA walked back the Mirror's Edge part of that announcement, fwiw:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1638268889657376768