Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Every single time they double down on the "all deposits insured forever" line I start to think that maybe things are really bad this time.

same energy as an out of control bus and the driver just keeps shouting don’t worry, the brakes still work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlDMQf3GB2k

They're advertising the insane acceleration of this tank-sized truck as a selling point. This thing is going to kill so many kids and pedestrians.

Feature, not a bug.

And you forgot cyclists.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Jel Shaker posted:

same energy as an out of control bus and the driver just keeps shouting don’t worry, the brakes still work!

well as a fraud, as long as the mark stays calm, the fraud goes on, so actually, it’s like wile e coyote.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Paradoxish posted:

Every single time they double down on the "all deposits insured forever" line I start to think that maybe things are really bad this time.

I have this faint and likely inaccurate memory that when Jay Powell and crew set the printers to full blast back during March 2020, they effectively and thoroughly depleted their toolkit for addressing future crises.

And now, here we are, in a world where the Fed reaffirming their position (first in March 2020, now in March 2023) will always backstop the wealthy and remove all risk from their investments, turning moral hazard into moral imperative.

Seems fine.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

GMI but for financial institutions

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hubbert posted:

I have this faint and likely inaccurate memory that when Jay Powell and crew set the printers to full blast back during March 2020, they effectively and thoroughly depleted their toolkit for addressing future crises.

And now, here we are, in a world where the Fed reaffirming their position (first in March 2020, now in March 2023) will always backstop the wealthy and remove all risk from their investments, turning moral hazard into moral imperative.

Seems fine.

I don't understand it ideologically, because what they're doing is destabilizing to the system itself. They're weakening the ability of capitalism to sustain itself with each one of these decisions, where you'd think the institutional prerogative would be to do everything to preserve it.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Palladium posted:

does it still come with seat heating DRM

It's a BMW, yes

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't understand it ideologically, because what they're doing is destabilizing to the system itself. They're weakening the ability of capitalism to sustain itself with each one of these decisions,

:munch:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't understand it ideologically, because what they're doing is destabilizing to the system itself. They're weakening the ability of capitalism to sustain itself with each one of these decisions, where you'd think the institutional prerogative would be to do everything to preserve it.

always has been

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Frosted Flake posted:

all decisions must be made for the next quarter

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlDMQf3GB2k

They're advertising the insane acceleration of this tank-sized truck as a selling point. This thing is going to kill so many kids and pedestrians.

eh, no the selling point is how environmentally friendly it is. do you not see the cute wittle ol crab? :3:

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

A system based on infinite growth of fake money was never stable

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

SorePotato posted:

A system based on infinite growth of fake money was never stable

Hmmm probably shouldn't have cut off and strangled every possible alternative then.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Numbers will go up. Good news for number havers.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

is pepsi ok posted:

Hmmm probably shouldn't have cut off and strangled every possible alternative then.

Yeah but the other side of the coin is infinite extraction of resources both natural and human, so,

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

learned last night Yellen's first stint at the fed was in the years leading to the Volcker shock

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Material conditions shape ideology and ideology can shape material conditions.

So, unipolar American hegemony created the monster known as "neoliberalism" to justify itself. America gets to be in charge because it is a powerful moral player and there's nothing you or anyone else can do about it. They can print all the money because there are no rival systems. They can invade anywhere at any time because nobody is going to stop it. And that's a good thing because America has never done anything bad and everything bad it's ever done are just whoopsies that aren't worth considering. They don't count. This includes all the wars and economic bust cycles that keep seeming to pop up despite the fact that America isn't supposed to be competing with anyone.

That's neoliberalism in a nutshell.

So now you've trained your ruling class to believe there are no consequences for anything. Print money, lose wars, nothing matters. Victory forever. And now they're acting exactly like nothing matters. That there's no way to break the system because it is indestructible. Insure all the banks and their trillions of dollars that don't exist. So what if the banks realize they can't lose? America can't lose, remember!? There's nobody else to turn to!

Meanwhile, China

Cpt_Obvious has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Mar 21, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Frosted Flake posted:

Idiots in the 70s got into charge who didn't actually understand how the system they gained control worked. Each subsequent group just looted.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

the dialectic cannot be stopped

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

This sort of instability is the type of poo poo you see in "emerging markets"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
american economic policy for the wealthy is literally just "i break it you buy it"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

It wasn't the $1400 cheques, obviously, but covid was the moment where these people all having unchallenged delusions for three decades hit a wall.

and they think that they can will it back to the way it was before covid.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Cool and SUV shouldn't go together

Maserati/Porsche/Lamborghini all have SUV models.

but to be clear here you are 100% correct.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Antonymous posted:

its not related but Kucinich's wife is over 6 feet tall and well, look at them together lol

he's always hugging her and getting doted on like a little kid but he looks like a gremlin, I love it

his evil gremlin counterpart:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

anime was right posted:

all decisions must be made for the next quarter

And also with an eye on the next election. Can't repeat what happened almost 50 years ago! So trumps guys did mass money printing all through his term even before COVID, then bidens guys have to continue it.

I'm half convinced the reason the 08 crash was allowed to happen when it did was because everyone was sick of W and he was done with his term anyways

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Punk rear end breakers. I want the real poo poo: market wide, back to back, full index breakers.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

capitalism: famously concerned with long term stability and sustainability

Morbus
May 18, 2004

coelomate posted:

Yeah, I think so. It's possible people's 5-10x leveraged housing bets that boomed in a speculative bubble contributed more to their "excess savings" than a $1,400 check hmmm

nope, people used extended SNAP benefits to sell corn on the side of the road and now they are all rich, next.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/villi/status/1638047162440507395

how do you raise 50 million dollars ( and raise money three times before that) without having an idea of what you are even selling? Silicon Valley is full of idiots.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Mr Hootington posted:

This sort of instability is the type of poo poo you see in "emerging markets"

every time I have to do forecasting, I do it according to water cooler talk too.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

forkboy84 posted:

Class War, but you make it about race

We've been doing this in the US for a while and it's actually not great!!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

PawParole posted:

how do you raise 50 million dollars ( and raise money three times before that) without having an idea of what you are even selling? Silicon Valley is full of idiots.

Silicon valley is so fuckin bizarre, you just gotta be the right persons kid and you too can raise millions of dollars without even an idea of a product or who you will sell the product to

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

lol that owns

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Someone shot a cop here while the cop was "assisting" on an eviction. Cop lived, shooter didn't. ACAB. ALAB

Morbus
May 18, 2004

PawParole posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDQcgkDn0yU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Doesn't their own ideology also say that rich people lose money, sometimes, and that's okay?

It's just baffling to me.

I mostly post about this in the Ukraine and WW3 threads, but I've seen this in hundreds of emails over the past year as everybody wants more cannon and ammunition, only to realize they gave a monopoly to BAE, which massively cut the workforce and production facilities in favour of stock buybacks. They can't conduct the most basic function of a state, waging war, because they privatized the capability. The private arms industry, logically I suppose, sees profit maximization and share price as more important than the manufacture of arms.

I mean, if you think about it, based on the laws of supply and demand, given the resources required as inputs, tooling, time, workforce, manufacturing artillery pieces would be unprofitable, which is of course why it was done by the state from the 1500s on. Given that the businesses aren't directly controlled or otherwise supervised by the state, and as they're not under state ownership they must please stockholders. How they do that also has a tinge of the inevitable, they direct their energy to more profitable things, and maximize the profit by raising the cost of guns, which of course impedes the state's ability to arm itself.

Most of these state arms industries were privatized at a loss too. Clearly, whoever made these decisions, I'm thinking of Thatcher in particular, had some deluded ideological rationale, industry thought they could extract rent from it, it was a profitable transfer of public goods into private hands. The problem seems to be that nobody actually thought about fighting a war with it, and so, now they're hosed and will continue to be hosed, because the more money they throw at the arms industry this year, the more goes to pretty much everything but (unprofitably) producing arms. I guess their only solution is throwing money at them, because they won't intervene, directly supervise or whatever, so... lots of public money spent more or less on stock buybacks, no capacity actually increased.

I would only slightly be exaggerating by saying it was more efficient when the king demanded bell foundries cast X cannon a year and the work was all done in pre-industrial workshops. To crib from Voltaire, these days the MIC is neither military nor industrial.

Which really raises some questions about those cyberpunk dystopias where mega corporations fight wars.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Doesn't their own ideology also say that rich people lose money, sometimes, and that's okay?

It's just baffling to me.

I mostly post about this in the Ukraine and WW3 threads, but I've seen this in hundreds of emails over the past year as everybody wants more cannon and ammunition, only to realize they gave a monopoly to BAE, which massively cut the workforce and production facilities in favour of stock buybacks. They can't conduct the most basic function of a state, waging war, because they privatized the capability. The private arms industry, logically I suppose, sees profit maximization and share price as more important than the manufacture of arms.

I mean, if you think about it, based on the laws of supply and demand, given the resources required as inputs, tooling, time, workforce, manufacturing artillery pieces would be unprofitable, which is of course why it was done by the state from the 1500s on. Given that the businesses aren't directly controlled or otherwise supervised by the state, and as they're not under state ownership they must please stockholders. How they do that also has a tinge of the inevitable, they direct their energy to more profitable things, and maximize the profit by raising the cost of guns, which of course impedes the state's ability to arm itself.

Most of these state arms industries were privatized at a loss too. Clearly, whoever made these decisions, I'm thinking of Thatcher in particular, had some deluded ideological rationale, industry thought they could extract rent from it, it was a profitable transfer of public goods into private hands. The problem seems to be that nobody actually thought about fighting a war with it, and so, now they're hosed and will continue to be hosed, because the more money they throw at the arms industry this year, the more goes to pretty much everything but (unprofitably) producing arms. I guess their only solution is throwing money at them, because they won't intervene, directly supervise or whatever, so... lots of public money spent more or less on stock buybacks, no capacity actually increased.

I would only slightly be exaggerating by saying it was more efficient when the king demanded bell foundries cast X cannon a year and the work was all done in pre-industrial workshops. To crib from Voltaire, these days the MIC is neither military nor industrial.

Which really raises some questions about those cyberpunk dystopias where mega corporations fight wars.

the modern capitalist state is not an intelligently managed system, it is a gradient descent algorithm hth

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

banks are not businesses in the sense of that graph.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

itanium_server_sales.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Egg Moron posted:

The banking system cannot collapse, it can only be collapsed

Someone should collapse it