Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Everything will be some mix of more expensive, more work, or more likely to fail than just sticking with icloud for your use case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

power crystals said I should ask here:

Comcast says I can get up to 800Mbps now, but I need to upgrade my ARRIS SB6183 cable modem (I don't lease, I always buy my own) and the list of compatible cable modems has 46 entries. Do I need 32 DOCSYS channels? Do I need DOCSYS 3.1? Are any of Motorola, Arris, Netgear, HitronTechnologies, Asus, HUMAX, Linksys, or TP-LINK brands I should totally avoid or specifically prefer?

e. I already have a wifi router (Netgear AC1750) so I don't need built-in wifi, I run three PCs, a printer, and a half dozen wifi devices at the same time, I stream 4k TV, I dunno if any of this poo poo matters

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For speeds under 1 gigabit, DOCSIS 3.0 will work but the number of channels is critical. You'll want at least a 24x8 modem (24 downstream channels, 8 upstream) for an 800 mbit connection. Wouldn't hurt to get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem though, you'll be able to use it when you move up to a gigabit or faster connection and even now it may reduce latency.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jenkl posted:

Excellent guessing!

Through the magic of amazon delivery, I've discovered the "2" channel does not light up

Bit more work to do to identify if it's the cord or either of the couplers.

God I hope it's the couplers.

Edit: it's the cord 😭😭

That does happen, unfortunately; even new cables or cable right out off of a spool can have a damaged conductor. Sometimes it gets damaged just putting it in the wall. If it's unsecured inside you can attempt to pull it from one end to the other with a couple of pieces of thin rope/string behind it, or even the replacement cable. The issue with cable with crimped ends is that the ends will often catch on things, so cutting them off and pulling only cable (then crimping on new ends or using a punchdown jack on the other end) works best. If not then it becomes a bit more of a hassle since you'd need to unsecure it or just run a new cable along side which can be problematic inside of the wall.

If it's not possible to replace the cable in the wall you could try powerline networking, where you can plug the powerline adapters into a wall outlet and get ethernet in and out of the other side. It works well for some folks but poorly for others and it seems to depend on how many circuit breakers your signal is crossing or other house wiring type stuff. When it works it's really good, though. Generally the suggestion is to get it from Amazon since you can more easily return the adapters if it just won't work for your house.

It's a bit more expensive than network cables unfortunately:
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=powerline+network

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

For speeds under 1 gigabit, DOCSIS 3.0 will work but the number of channels is critical. You'll want at least a 24x8 modem (24 downstream channels, 8 upstream) for an 800 mbit connection. Wouldn't hurt to get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem though, you'll be able to use it when you move up to a gigabit or faster connection and even now it may reduce latency.

OK when I filter by DOCSYS 3.1, 32 down 8 up channels, that narrows it down to just 29 options lol but if I also filter by 1.2Gbps I get 11 and I can eliminate the ones with wifi and that leaves:
Motorola MB8611
Netgear CM2000
Netgear CM2050V
Motorola MT8733 (includes voice which I don't need)
ARRIS S33
HitronTechnologies CODA56
Motorola B12
ARRIS S33v2

Any reason to prefer one of these over the others? I haven't checked prices yet.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

From that list I recognize the MB8611 and the S33 from recent conversation here. I don't know what differences the S33v2 has, but I'd assume the three of those are all safe, solid choices.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stellar, thanks TITTIEKISSER69.

e. to support 2.5Gb ethernet, I need... CAT5e, or shoudl I get 6 because why not?

e2. actually my wifi router only has gigabit ethernet ports, hmmmm, my motherboard has 2.5G, hrm hrm

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 13, 2023

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My 6811 has treated me well, and upgrading to it did result in an uptick in my download speeds, as reported by speedof.me. It did not result in any human-perceptible change in my internet experience.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The number the speed test gives you is technically human perception :pseudo:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thank you for the replies guys. I've decided to stick with the iCloud as it's just easier. While the idea of having everything backed-up at home is appealing, I don't think I want to deal with any of the maintenance.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks for the help setting up the Asus router as an AP for my current network! Everything seems to be working ok so far? Only question I have is how do devices decide which router to connect to? I was walking around the house and my phone seemed to hang on to the router in the office VS switching to the stronger signal in the bedroom.

Last question does anyone have a recommendation for a cheaper switch that I can put in the living room? I want to hookup my consoles and Apple TV to the house Ethernet.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
The client makes the decision. As long as it thinks the connection is good enough it won’t search for a better.
This is where good AP placement and reducing power levels come into play.

As for cheap switches, you can get the TL-SG105E 5 port managed switch for $23.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyks posted:

The client makes the decision. As long as it thinks the connection is good enough it won’t search for a better.
This is where good AP placement and reducing power levels come into play.

As for cheap switches, you can get the TL-SG105E 5 port managed switch for $23.

Ok awesome thanks for the explanation!

So I had a shower thought about the switch and would it be a bad idea to just get one of these

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yep, Asus allows you to flash that router and many other of their older models to mesh firmware, and their newer ones are all mesh-capable AFAIK.I have that exact model and at my old place which was bigger, I had two of these from the OP flashed to stock Asus mesh-capable firmware. Now at my smaller place I'm just using the 3100.

So I have another AP downstairs to fully blanket the house? It’s only like $17 more for that vs a dumb switch.

Unless that’s just overkill at that point?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Another AP for a different floor sounds like a perfectly reasonable suggestion and not overkill. Honestly, unless you have so many that you're having problems finding non-overlapping channels it's unlikely to ever hurt adding more APs.

It probably doesn't matter for a newer device but on some of those consumer routers, the WAN port is being CPU-switched over to the LAN ports even if you can stick it in bridge mode. If you plan to use it as a 5-port switch+AP and want all 5 ports, maybe stick a lower load device on the WAN port.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Eletriarnation posted:

Another AP for a different floor sounds like a perfectly reasonable suggestion and not overkill.

This is the way, one per floor isn’t overkill at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks for the advice! Gonna order that other router!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

devmd01 posted:

It took me a second to realize that in this context MBR was not Master Boot Record.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So if these are the networks around me is there any reason not to use auto for the channel selection?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

devmd01 posted:

If money is no object, the best wireless experience is one AP per room, from a manufacturer with a good implementation of 802.11r, tuned to ~just enough~ transmit power.

MarcusSA posted:

So if these are the networks around me is there any reason not to use auto for the channel selection?

You'll want to use a tool like kismet to see what channel they're on. Then you can attempt to find a non-overlapping channel that isn't being used.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If money is no object, the best wireless experience is one AP per room, from a manufacturer with a good implementation of 802.11r, tuned to ~just enough~ transmit power.

can confirm I’ve got 3 APs for the upstairs, downstairs, and basement turned down way low, I never see less than 500mbit anywhere in the house, and usually get 700-800, it’s lovely

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It looks like Kismet is desktop (e: I said Linux/Mac, but that appears to be just what they mention up front) only, so if that's inconvenient Ubiquiti's WiFiman is free and available for iOS/Android. It has a channel-by-SSID list+graph for figuring out what's available, and a signal mapper for viewing the signal strength of the WLAN you're associated to and any roaming in real time.

Also to get into the weeds a bit, you may already be aware of DFS channels but if not a chart helps explain:

UNII-2 and UNII-2-Extended here is a frequency range which is prioritized for government (radar) use, so any consumer devices which can use it have to periodically scan for interference and switch channels/disable the radio when said interference is detected. Some vendors didn't want to implement it and you'll only see 36-48 and 149-165 as options for these devices. If you're in this situation and especially if you have close neighbors with 80MHz wide channels, you may find it difficult to get non-overlapping channels. Dropping to 40MHz or 20MHz channel width may help find you find a gap, but this will cut maximum bandwidth proportionally so if you're getting a strong signal with no interference at 80MHz that's probably best. 160MHz is very fast but makes DFS unavoidable and older clients may not be able to connect to it.

If you do have DFS bands they might work great, but depending on the frequency of interference you may end up seeing a lot of interruptions with a manual channel selection. Auto channel selection can avoid this, assuming that it's smart about switching to channels which are clear.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 16, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Well, kismet uses either a TUI or webUI - so if someone's semi-comfortable on a Unix-like, it can be made to work on Windows.

For macOS, the fork is called KisMac.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I'm not familiar with Kismet so I figured I'd look at the website, then saw "Linux or macOS" because that's close to the top. After I posted I read further down to see the bit about Windows, and figured I'd try to add some more utility to my post by talking about DFS. I guess it could be useful to have a phone option anyway, especially if you want to walk around for signal mapping.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The Intel Killer app thing has a built in WiFi mapping thing too

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Leperflesh posted:

OK when I filter by DOCSYS 3.1, 32 down 8 up channels, that narrows it down to just 29 options lol but if I also filter by 1.2Gbps I get 11 and I can eliminate the ones with wifi and that leaves:
Motorola MB8611
Netgear CM2000
Netgear CM2050V
Motorola MT8733 (includes voice which I don't need)
ARRIS S33
HitronTechnologies CODA56
Motorola B12
ARRIS S33v2

Any reason to prefer one of these over the others? I haven't checked prices yet.

I'm glad you had this conversation, I was about to come in with the same exact question! That said, I'm also going to replace my wireless router, and could use some advice:

1000 sq. ft. apartment, 5 devices total, but rarely are more than 2 in use - I live alone. At most it would be 3, but very rare. Nothing will be physically plugged into the router, everything will be wireless. Is Netgear Nighthawk stuff still a safe bet, or is there something better out there these days? Or cheaper, I'm on a bit of a budget, but my current equipment is 10+ years old and starting to show its age.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Anyone have any experience with D-Link R15 AX1500 routers? We're shopping around for internet group deals in my condo association and some of the more attractive deals include foisting these things on us.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Is this going to be for like, free wifi for the condo?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

e.pilot posted:

Is this going to be for like, free wifi for the condo?

Not quite. We have dark fiber to the building via the municipal network, but the municipal network doesn't actually offer services on their own, they just provide infrastructure. Then we have a switch in the basement and cat6 run from there to one jack per apartment. Formally speaking the association owns the switch and the cat6 runs, but we've never managed them ourselves. What we're doing now is shopping around among various ISP's for a group deal where they provide the same service to all apartments and also janitor that switch in the basement. You can get some very good deals this way, like symmetric unmetered gigabit for $12/month/apartment, but for some reason some of the offers include a router for each apartment. I imagine they make a small profit on that and it's also convenient for people who don't know what router to choose I guess? For me as a board member it is convenient at least since I don't have to research and recommend a router for everyone else to buy and get blamed for all the problems with it.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 19, 2023

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
ah gotcha, yeah something like that would be fine if the end user would be in charge of managing it

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

TheFluff posted:

You can get some very good deals this way, like symmetric unmetered gigabit for $12/month/apartment, but for some reason some of the offers include a router for each apartment. I imagine they make a small profit on that and it's also convenient for people who don't know what router to choose I guess? For me as a board member it is convenient at least since I don't have to research and recommend a router for everyone else to buy and get blamed for all the problems with it.

I don't know the device itself, but generally the reason for having a termination device for doing technical support and having a common demarcation point gear reduces the tech support costs massively.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

unknown posted:

I don't know the device itself, but generally the reason for having a termination device for doing technical support and having a common demarcation point gear reduces the tech support costs massively.

Right, that makes sense. I've researched it a bit and it seems to be a bog standard entry level wifi6 device that's maybe $60 new. Seems okay but not great. I think for most people who live here it'd be perfectly fine.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

TheFluff posted:

Right, that makes sense. I've researched it a bit and it seems to be a bog standard entry level wifi6 device that's maybe $60 new. Seems okay but not great. I think for most people who live here it'd be perfectly fine.

Yeah thats probably how I'd set it up, it'll usually cover an apartment well enough to handle the average user's needs and if anyone's more advanced they can bring their own

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Hey nerds, looking for router advice. Bought a TP-Link AC1750 about 6 years ago and it's been doing a great job so far, but I'm in the process of upgrading a bunch of tech around the house and was wondering if it might be worth adding that to the list. We have a lot of devices connected on average:

- lots of google home minis
- 4 (soon to be 5) PCs running wired
- home theater area all wired (smart tv, receiver, ps4, steam link)
- 2 laptops wireless
- 3 phones wireless
- one wireless roku
- switch and steam deck wireless

My network setup is my cable modem (I don't remember the model) -> router with wireless enabled on main floor -> 2 tp-link 8-port switches -> wired devices and a unifi ap ac lite on the second floor for extra wireless coverage. As far as interference goes, the router is in our furnace room which sucks but the house is a cube so it's not terrible and the AC is on the opposite corner. We're in a stacked townhouse setup so there's a bunch of other signals in the area but it's not quite high-rise levels.

It feels like a lot to me, but I know that on average only a few of those devices are doing anything interesting at one time. The most likely peak usage would be streaming something from the HTPC to the tv while the HTPC is downloading something and one of the gaming PCs is in use and a phone doing social media whatever.

Am I likely to see an improvement from a sub-$200CAD upgrade or am I fine to truck on for a little while?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
When Frontier installs fiber to the home, do you need a special router or do they install a device that converts fiber optic to Ethernet? Do you need the equivalent of a cable modem, but for fiber?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yes, but they install the modem, and from there it still has to go to a router.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

Yes, but they install the modem, and from there it still has to go to a router.

Does the modem sit inside or outside of the house, typically? I have a basement, if that matters.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Inside, it still needs power after all

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Fiber doesn't really have "modems", the box is called an ONT and it converts fiber to coax or ethernet, from there you plug it into your router or a router that the ISP gives you.

To be clear the fiber will come into your house and all of the boxes will be inside somewhere.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks, goons! Is the fiber-to-ethernet thing something I can/should buy myself? I ask as someone who has owned their own cable modem for 20 years because gently caress if I'm going to lease one from the cable company. I don't know if Frontier (fiber) is a different beast, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks, goons! Is the fiber-to-ethernet thing something I can/should buy myself? I ask as someone who has owned their own cable modem for 20 years because gently caress if I'm going to lease one from the cable company. I don't know if Frontier (fiber) is a different beast, though.

The ISP will install and own the ONT in almost all cases.

The ONT is what breaks a single fiber line out to data, television(coax), sometime old fashion phone, etc.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 22, 2023