Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

"Do you work here?"

"Nah, man, I'm just on a step stool, organizing the shelves for fun."

Don't judge me, I get little enough leisure time, I should be able to spend it how I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

"Do you work here?"

My usual reply is "no, I just stole this vest because I liked how it looked."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

Even being honest? :wth:

I’m mentally deranged enough that I’ve worked in phone sales for 13 years , and yeah my sales pitch now is mostly “I will not waste your time, I will make sure you know what you are getting, and I will politely upsell but you won’t be forced to buy something.”

People call in expecting a poo poo experience , so when they get someone who sounds competent and honest, it goes a long way lol.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m mentally deranged enough that I’ve worked in phone sales for 13 years , and yeah my sales pitch now is mostly “I will not waste your time, I will make sure you know what you are getting, and I will politely upsell but you won’t be forced to buy something.”

People call in expecting a poo poo experience , so when they get someone who sounds competent and honest, it goes a long way lol.

I generally just try to talk people away from things that make me have to deal with complaints in the future.

"These brands we have more complaints about, this one is absolute poo poo, stick to these over here, even the cheap one, and you'll be golden." Which management doesn't like because we earn more on the trash brands and they're complaining that we're not being profitable enough, but lol, lmao even, at selling something that makes extra work for me in a month's time when it inevitably breaks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My mom works from home fulfilling orders for poo poo, and today her system didn't take her password. Cue having to call tech support to restart it; she's also in a new shift this week. So between being on the phone with tech support, sending a message to her coworker that she would be late, she didn't text her boss. By the time she got the system back on and could log in, she was 11 minutes late. So the first thing her boss told her was this counted as a late against her, and it would be points on her employee record. Yes, she forgot to text him. That is on her. But seriously?

They can tell she is usually 5 minutes early every goddamn day. She stays late all the time. In the past, if she had log-in issues, she'd call tech support before she clocked in and get the poo poo set without pay. So many times I'd catch her answering work emails without being on the clock or setting up poo poo before she clocked in.

Add to that her coworker Trish regularly clocks in, and then sets her status to AFK for 10-20 minutes almost every day. Her reasoning varies between bathroom break/kids need something/coffee break/smoke break. That's totally fine because she usually logs in at that 10 minute mark, where 11 minutes counts as late.

Reminds me of the time my mobile Kronos didn't let me clock back in from lunch, and after fighting with it 10 minutes, I got it to work. My manager called me demanding to know why I took a 40 minute lunch, despite the fact they could see my location via GPS, see my log-in attempts, and the fact I had to be badgered to take a lunch when we were so short staffed. Nope, just decided to take an extra long lunch today, gently caress you!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They don't care. Your mom could have outlasted a hundred managers, been there for a hundred years, and have been employee of the month for every month since it started. One unannounced tardy is all it takes to gently caress over a yearly review and management does not give a fuckin poo poo what the reason is and won't be assed to correct it.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Update on my situation (got fired last Sunday after working at the store for almost 18 years and getting treated like poo poo for the last few): I applied at a few places on Monday. Yesterday, I called a local thrift store after seeing their post on Indeed, which said to call and ask for the director (leaving out names just to be safe), talked to him for a few minutes, and got an interview this morning where I filled out the application and talked to the director and another manager. We discussed the job and my extensive experience at my old store. Then they gave me a tour and showed me what I'd be doing if I was hired. The director said they had a couple other interviews to do, but he would get back to me, but he also said that my experience would bring a lot to the store and I seem like I would fit in with the rest of the team. Also, they asked if I'd shopped at the store before, and when I said I'd gotten a set of golf clubs there a few years back, the director's eyes lit up and he got a little smile on his face before asking "Do you golf?" (I do but I'm not very good)

The job (at a literal charity organization) starts at more than I was making at the old store, with a guaranteed raise after a 90-day probationary period, full-time hours and a set schedule every week, daytime hours so I'd be done by 4 pm, plus benefits (health/dental insurance, retirement plan). All poo poo I was fighting to get at my old job without any success. It's kinda sad that they set the bar so low.

The interview went well, I think I impressed them, and I'm feeling very confident. And much less stressed out than I was a few days ago. Thanks again for the advice and encouragement, everyone who gave it. :)

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 15, 2023

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Hell yeah, good luck!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So in January my old boss got promoted/transferred (to the same department I was trying to get into, rear end in a top hat), then we spent about a month without a manager for the department. Floor Operations (what would have been my boss's boss) was my direct boss.

Then we got a new manager transferred over from another department.

She lasted just long enough for my forms/survey questions started to show her name instead of Boss's Boss before she quit because she found a better job outside of Amazon and tonight was her last shift. On one hand: Girl you go and get that cheddah! On the other hand: loving LAWL!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

We just got kudos from a state inspector for having the nicest store he's been in out of the 8 counties he covers. It's always nice to have our efforts to course correct from the dumpster fire we all got dropped into acknowledged.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

beats for junkies posted:

Update on my situation <snip>

New update: I got the job at the thrift store (receiving and sorting donations mostly, much less customer-facing than my old retail job), and I start tomorrow morning. Better pay, more hours, better benefits, and I get a comfy chair to sit in when I have to look up how much something might be worth. It's been less than a week between jobs, and I haven't felt less stressed out in months.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

New update: I got the job at the thrift store (receiving and sorting donations mostly, much less customer-facing than my old retail job), and I start tomorrow morning. Better pay, more hours, better benefits, and I get a comfy chair to sit in when I have to look up how much something might be worth. It's been less than a week between jobs, and I haven't felt less stressed out in months.

This is loving great, and I’m so happy for you. Enjoy it!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:yotj:

Congrats!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

That is awesome!

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Oh hey i used to sort donations! That job rules!

Occasionally you find some :barf: stuff but whatever, just yeet it in the trash and stock up on hand sanitizer. İ bet you are going to have a good time there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

gently caress yeah.

Cowslips Warren posted:

My mom works from home fulfilling orders for poo poo, and today her system didn't take her password. Cue having to call tech support to restart it; she's also in a new shift this week. So between being on the phone with tech support, sending a message to her coworker that she would be late, she didn't text her boss. By the time she got the system back on and could log in, she was 11 minutes late. So the first thing her boss told her was this counted as a late against her, and it would be points on her employee record. Yes, she forgot to text him. That is on her. But seriously?

They can tell she is usually 5 minutes early every goddamn day. She stays late all the time. In the past, if she had log-in issues, she'd call tech support before she clocked in and get the poo poo set without pay. So many times I'd catch her answering work emails without being on the clock or setting up poo poo before she clocked in.

Add to that her coworker Trish regularly clocks in, and then sets her status to AFK for 10-20 minutes almost every day. Her reasoning varies between bathroom break/kids need something/coffee break/smoke break. That's totally fine because she usually logs in at that 10 minute mark, where 11 minutes counts as late.

Reminds me of the time my mobile Kronos didn't let me clock back in from lunch, and after fighting with it 10 minutes, I got it to work. My manager called me demanding to know why I took a 40 minute lunch, despite the fact they could see my location via GPS, see my log-in attempts, and the fact I had to be badgered to take a lunch when we were so short staffed. Nope, just decided to take an extra long lunch today, gently caress you!

Wfh service jobs like this can be really good, but also they have to power to make poo poo really bad if they don’t give just a little bit of leeway. I’m sorry hers sucks at that. My work as long as you can show in general what happened and it’s obvious you aren’t abusing the system they’ll waive it. she has a call log showing she called tech support so she should be fine, so that’s stupid.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

gently caress yeah.

Wfh service jobs like this can be really good, but also they have to power to make poo poo really bad if they don’t give just a little bit of leeway. I’m sorry hers sucks at that. My work as long as you can show in general what happened and it’s obvious you aren’t abusing the system they’ll waive it. she has a call log showing she called tech support so she should be fine, so that’s stupid.

I'm amazed but her boss got them to reverse it. Usually their internal auditors refuse to, but maybe seeing a 60 something year old lady cry on the Zoom call made someone reconsider.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Now send your chucklefuck ex-boss a thank-you card for firing you.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

"Do you work here?"

"Nah, man, I'm just on a step stool, organizing the shelves for fun."

My answer was usually "Not if I can avoid it" or "Only when my boss is around".

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So I believe last time I posted, I complained about how top management was instituting a lot more direct control over our stores. This came down to not even letting us write our own signs for our displays, instead insisting we use their pre-made signs(which, in my opinion, are far shittier than the ones we used to use).

At this point, it turns out that something like 80% of the signs they sent us for our display models have errors, including but not limited to:

Wrong names
Wrong product lines(important when we advertise that we're running a sale on a specific one!)
Wrong prices
Missing items(when a display setup includes multiple items, then only listing some of them is a problem)
Wrong EAN's

It is a hilarious shitshow and makes me extremely smug, because I'd been the one responsible for keeping all our homemade signs updated, legible and correct for like five years now, where we only had the occasional error when I was called upon to update like 50 signs at once and fat-fingered one of them.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
After one day at my new job receiving and sorting donations at a thrift store (and after they stop taking donations for the day, I'm basically a "whatever project needs to be worked on" guy), I am in a noticeably better mood than I have been in weeks, if not months. Getting fired was literally the best thing that could have happened to me, financially, emotionally, and mentally. I'm not stressed the gently caress out because I'm not making any money or getting enough hours, and my job is actually meaningful instead of just "stock shelves and sell products."

I'll miss my old coworkers, not the job itself, because we'd talk and joke about burps and farts (in a store that tries to be "semi-upscale"), and I'm childish enough to still find gas funny. Working at the old store was a lot more tolerable because the employees all get along pretty well - one good thing the manager did was mostly hire people who fit in with the rest of the staff, vibe-wise (though now that I've got hindsight, maybe it was a "won't complain about lovely treatment" vibe and I just didn't realize it). I'm also probably the youngest person at my new job by at least a decade on average (there are a handful of people around my age, but most of the staff/volunteers have gray hair).

PurpleXVI posted:

So I believe last time I posted, I complained about how top management was instituting a lot more direct control over our stores. This came down to not even letting us write our own signs for our displays, instead insisting we use their pre-made signs(which, in my opinion, are far shittier than the ones we used to use).

At this point, it turns out that something like 80% of the signs they sent us for our display models have errors, including but not limited to:

Wrong names
Wrong product lines(important when we advertise that we're running a sale on a specific one!)
Wrong prices
Missing items(when a display setup includes multiple items, then only listing some of them is a problem)
Wrong EAN's

It is a hilarious shitshow and makes me extremely smug, because I'd been the one responsible for keeping all our homemade signs updated, legible and correct for like five years now, where we only had the occasional error when I was called upon to update like 50 signs at once and fat-fingered one of them.

As the designated "sign guy" at my old job (ever since the first owner - the one who hired me and the one I actually liked working for - said "you have such nice handwriting for a guy, you should make signs when we need them"), I feel your smugness. When I made a sign, it was bright and legible with simple block letters. Everyone else tried to cram in as much information as possible in skinny handwriting (not cursive, they just write a sign like they'd write anything else). Or they get signage directly from the distributor/manufacturer, which is usually really generic and hardly ever mentions a specific product.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 18, 2023

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm in my early 30s and I've got several streaks of silver in my hair.

Today our DM called the store (at 12:57) to make sure our assistant manager/temp. store manager got on the conference call at 1pm. And stressed that it should be a "Priority" for her to get on these conference calls.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Whatcha got there?

A knoife!

I cannot adequately describe how pissed I am at this packaging. That's a real knife with real edges to its blades packaged like THAT! Yes they're relatively dull as blades go but they're still real blades and could cut someone. I nearly did when I saw it thinking "LOL, that's a plastic toy*, no way someone would send a real knife like that!"

OH, WAIT, SOMEONE SENT A REAL KNIFE LIKE THAT! You could probably just grab the handle and stab someone through the lovely cardboard "packaging" too.

*It's still a toy, just a MANLY MAN'S TOXIC MASCULINITY TOY and not some rubber or plastic thing for a kid. Also technically I should wear gloves which would have helped protect me doing my job, but I'm mainly pissed because there's so many places in this facility where the worker's going to be reaching into a bin or chute grabbing something semi-blind (because said bin or chute is at knee level or above their head) and could grip said knoife hard on the blade, not knowing what they were grabbing.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 20, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

My rear end in a top hat former manager, who's now the warehouse assistant manager, has snuck six hours of training on to one of my days off in flagrant violation of the collective agreement rulesets for actually telling us if they gently caress with our schedules, possibly violating several rules in one go. It could be excused as idiocy except he's done it before and was just as unapologetic that time, too, but you'd have thought that he learned after I squeezed him for it that time. I guess he's just too loving stupid.

I'm currently figuring out what I can do to make him bleed and regret this in every way possible after contacting the union.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Our warehouse manager decided one day us warehouse workers were causing too many problems with the OS&D (overages, shortages, and damages) department. So they decided all the full-time employees had to attend a mandatory training session. It was scheduled on one of my days off. I asked him if he really wanted me to come in for it, he said absolutely, I asked if I was going to get paid for it, he said "what, you don't want to go work for a couple hours afterwards?" I laughed in his face. I got paid 4 hours for a 20 minute meeting.

The meeting was a waste of time and everyone there knew that. The problem wasn't their veteran, average-of-fifteen-years-experience day shift workers, it was their inability to hold night shift workers for more than three months and leaving them to work on their own (and drive forklifts) after two days of training. I asked the guy who ran the meeting why it had to be on that day, and he said "I don't know, I offered to split it into two training groups for each shift so they had less downtime in the warehouse but the manager said no."

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
quote != edit

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I work in security but my company is certainly loving dumb enough that it feels like retail sometimes.

OpsManager: "I am firing [Weekday Overnight Guard] for insubordination. No I don't care that they couldn't come in because a tornado was actively tearing their apartment roof apart that very night, they ignored orders to be in! The rest of you, mandatory overnight coverage or you get the same!"

Also OpsManager: "[Site Supervisor], this amount of logged overtime is absolutely unacceptable. What in the world has happened with your guards???"

Truly, a loving mystery worthy of Holmes himself. :tizzy:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

OpsManager: "I am firing [Weekday Overnight Guard] for insubordination. No I don't care that they couldn't come in because a tornado was actively tearing their apartment roof apart that very night, they ignored orders to be in! The rest of you, mandatory overnight coverage or you get the same!"

drat, imagine if everyone refused, forcing them to either fire everyone or back down.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

PurpleXVI posted:

drat, imagine if everyone refused, forcing them to either fire everyone or back down.

Yeah, everyone should get together and present a united front. They could call it something like a “union” and maybe together they could negotiate for better working cond— oh wait, we don’t do that here anymore, lol

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That sounds like communism.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

That sounds like communism.

Woke Socialist Communism

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I haven't had a covered lunch since like October or whatever, because its cheaper to cut someone else 2 hours and pay me an hour if I get interrupted. Well apparently that isn't enough and going forward if corporate decides a night is too slow and I get interrupted, they're gonna ask why I didn't take my lunch at another time. Like I have the ability to know when there will be a consecutive 30 minutes of no one showing up. Cause if there is anything to be said about the graveyard shift, is that its a consistent thing. Definitely not random chance if someone wants to show up at 3:45 am and order just a shake. Or someone showing up at 1:45 am and just wanting a free cup of water. Hell I've been interrupted during lunch for someone who "uh" and "um'd" for a few minutes before going "Know what? Nevermind." and just leave. Which is great when the manager verifies if I was interrupted by checking the transaction logs.

I've already decided I'll be turning in my notice mid May. Besides the fact summer vacation will start and I can't go through another summer of my noisy nephew stomping all around the house the entire loving day while I try to sleep, but the shoobies driving through to head to the bay area are loving insufferable. And if the company is still going to be cheapasses when that happens, when it picks up but they still decide "no we need to make up for the slow days, we will only have 1 employee per shift" I absolutely do not want to deal with it. It was a pain in the rear end when I had a second person stay with me until midnight, I do not want to come in and deal with that poo poo when its just me.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
gently caress any company that makes you fly solo in a cash handling space. That’s how you get robbed at gunpoint.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If their guidance for robberies is not "give them what they want and don't get hurt" then they can gently caress off.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

njsykora posted:

If their guidance for robberies is not "give them what they want and don't get hurt" then they can gently caress off.

I've been around some terrible companies but have never yet seen one that didn't have this policy. They're insured, they just want the robber gone ASAP.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

lmao, god, at least this lovely company is motivating me to job search more intensively.

Today was the first day of training on the NEW SYSTEM, which they then subsequently expect us to spend our "free time" at work training on(spoiler: there is no free time, because we're understaffed). It turns out that because the developers for it are riotously expensive consultants, they're skipping what one might call the "testing" phase where user feedback on things like the GUI and bugs are identified, and are instead choosing to prepare for a situation where it just hard crashes all our systems on launch day and we have to shut down the entire chain of stores for 24 hours or longer.

They've also decided that the new GUI should be optimized for tablets and smartphones... in a situation where we're going to be using it on stationary desktop PC's or laptops 99% of the time.

A large amount of internal terminology(like the "codes" for different reasons for items to be un-orderable) has been changed for no apparent reason(I presume more consultant hours).

As far as I can tell literally everything takes twice as many clicks to do(for instance, it used to be that in the simple search utility for stock and etc., the most common search filters were always available by default, now they're in a submenu, the new searchbar also doesn't really allow any kind of... search formatting. For instance, what we search for mostly is EAN's, the interesting part of an EAN is usually the last four to six digits since the start is just generic supplier gunk, so you'd type something like *4096 and get anything where 4096 ended the EAN... instead now all you can do is type "4096" and get anything featuring 4096 as ANY part of the EAN.).

They also decided to inexplicably open up something to make it easier for check-out personnel to make mistakes. It used to be that any sort of discount card would have to be used on exiting the store, which made it easy to make sure only one was being used(you can't stack 'em, or you CAN stack some of them, but you're not supposed to...). Now, instead, it's possible to pre-emptively apply the discount for SOME card types to an order PRIOR to it reaching check-out... which means the check-out staff have to be twice as vigilant to make sure a second card doesn't get dropped on top and they've had to hire folks to just manually pore over receipts all day long to catch the mistakes when they DO happen.

Oh and they started expecting me to give a gently caress about business customers. "Oh whoops, I just realized I'm too bad at IT stuff to understand the B2B system and you're going to have to talk to a manager or a super-user if one is around today..." some jackass(the assistant manager) apparently expected me to give enough of a gently caress to become a super-user and handle all the difficult poo poo. gently caress you, buddy, pay me and I'll care.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've been around some terrible companies but have never yet seen one that didn't have this policy. They're insured, they just want the robber gone ASAP.

Yeah our company recently made it easier for regular cashiers to open registers without help just in case.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

Yeah our company recently made it easier for regular cashiers to open registers without help just in case.

And yet now they're also telling our Loss Prevention to let customers who set off the sensors go on through even if we know they've stolen poo poo.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If' someone's hosed up enough to shoot you over a hundred bucks in the till or for as much booze and cigarettes they can carry, they're gonna do it whether you comply or not. They don't care if there's only one guy behind the counter or a crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
We did have a shoplifter a couple weeks ago. Grabbed a bottle of wine, a frozen meal, and strolled out the door. When a manager followed him to remind him to pay for his poo poo, he took off running down the road.

Few days later, a couple cops show up flashing his picture asking if anyone knew who he was. He was immediately recognized, and apparently he has at least one outstanding warrant and is, uh, not allowed to be around children.