Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I was intrigued by the other Anova vacuum sealer - the more expensive of the two that aren't the box. When I'm using my Amazon sealer it keeps having to wait before I can seal more, whereas I saw this is advertised with no refractory period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My old precision cookers from the kickstarter can heat up a 4.75 gallon Cambro tub to medium rare temperatures without insulation. Any higher than 135 and I’d need two

I think it was 800 watts? It looks like the new ones are 1000 W

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 11, 2023

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My Anova Nano, which i've had no other issues with over last 3 years or so, now seems to consistently stop with a LO water level warning about 30 seconds after I first start it up. I press start again and it's fine and keeps going no problem for the whole cook, but this seems to happen every time I plug it in and it makes me worried that it might turn itself off in the middle of a cook. I'm definitely not actually running with low water level. Anyone else run into anything like this?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Entropic posted:

My Anova Nano, which i've had no other issues with over last 3 years or so, now seems to consistently stop with a LO water level warning about 30 seconds after I first start it up. I press start again and it's fine and keeps going no problem for the whole cook, but this seems to happen every time I plug it in and it makes me worried that it might turn itself off in the middle of a cook. I'm definitely not actually running with low water level. Anyone else run into anything like this?

Seems worth contacting their support and seeing if they'll ship you a new one. Even out of warranty, their support has been nothing short of top notch in my experience.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

qutius posted:

Seems worth contacting their support and seeing if they'll ship you a new one. Even out of warranty, their support has been nothing short of top notch in my experience.

Same here! Steam was getting under the touchscreen head of my Anova Stick Heater and they offered to take a look at it and send me a new one if needed. However, in the meantime I installed a vent on the far side of the tub unit so that alleviated the problem and I didn't end up sending it in.

Still, they made it sound like it would be super painless on my end if I wanted a new one.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'm really curious if anyone here has the anova chamber sealer. I am an idiot and I really want one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yea I'm just curious as to which Anovo sous vide I should buy there's cheap options and then there is not so cheap options. I mean I don't mind paying the 200 dollars but I've also gotta buy the container and the other stuff for it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hollismason posted:

Yea I'm just curious as to which Anovo sous vide I should buy there's cheap options and then there is not so cheap options. I mean I don't mind paying the 200 dollars but I've also gotta buy the container and the other stuff for it.

Ah gotcha. I (think) I have just the base "Anova Precision Cooker" - looks like the one on their website claims 1000 watts for that model (https://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker), but the box for mine says 900. Then again, I've had it for several years now. It seems to do well for my use cases - no complaints at all.

How much power you need is up to you, but it is important to note there are a lot of ways around different limitations. For example, I've used mine to keep something absurd like 20+ gallons of water at temp - but, I was sorta cheating and was using a modified chest cooler as the tub, so heat loss through the walls lid was almost nothing. If I'm in a hurry to get a cook going, I can either just fill the 3-gallon or whatever cambro thingy (with lid) with hot tap water first, or if it already has water in it give it a starting boost with boiling water.

So, yeah, I'd recommend the basic-named "Anova Precision Cooker" which is like the second-cheapest option on there, but if you wanted to save a few bucks the Nano will probably do just fine - just be aware it can only put out 75% as much at full tilt, which really only matters for heating your tub up from room temp, or trying to keep larger amounts of water at temp.

The upgrades for the more expensive units SOUND nice but since I've never had them, I'm not really missing them.

Edit: It looks like the Nano (NOT the Nano 3, but rather the least expensive offering) is the only one without WiFi, so I suspect that's probably the only one you couldn't start heating up with the phone app before driving home from work so the tub of water was up to temp by the time you got home. If that's something you want to do. Which is almost silly because that's the unit you'd want the most preheat time with haha.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 12, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kwolok posted:

I'm really curious if anyone here has the anova chamber sealer. I am an idiot and I really want one.

https://www.seriouseats.com/anova-precision-chamber-vacuum-sealer-review-7099612

Pros: works pretty well for the price
Cons: Anova’s food saver seems to get better air removal for $150, chamber is small

I guess if you have use cases where you absolutely need a chamber (vacuuming liquids, vacuum compressing fruit, etc) then it’s a good deal. Otherwise if you have the patience to prefreeze liquids or fruit to vacuum them maybe stick with the food saver style vacuums

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Kwolok posted:

I have one. I don't have the freezer space to pre-freeze liquids and sauces, so I like this a lot for that reason.

Been enjoying doing pickles and compresses too. Haven't done any infused liquor yet, but would like to try that soon.

The sealing element of mine got hosed up and they had it replaced in less than a weeks' time. They really do continue to offering great customer service...

I would agree the chamber is small, but that hasn't really been too much of an annoyance. And thankfully, I have the space to store it without much problem. It's a fun gadget to have in the kitchen!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Kwolok posted:

I've been terribly happy with mine.

Much improved over OG foodsaver.
Even with pre-freezing, i'd have issues with wet/liquid items and getting a good vacuum + seal.

It's been great for quick pickles and lacto-fermentation as well.

I find the seals are better and less leaky over the long term than any foodsaver seal I've done over the past decade.
Usually within 3ish months i'll find something in the freezer with a nice coating of ice and bag that's clearly added air from an OG bag style.

I bought an assortment of sized bags off ebay from a cup or so up to about a quart. It's great for "filing cabinet of soup" in the freezer.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Awesome thanks guys, now to convince my other half I need to take up even more counter top realestate :)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Awesome thanks guys, now to convince my other half I need to take up even more counter top realestate :)

I keep ours under the espresso machine.
It's heavy, but frankly light enough that pulling it out per use isn't onerous.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Thanks, we're getting rid of an espresso machine shortly. So maybe it can go there.

ALso curious thread, where do you guys sit on the ribeye 137 drama? I personally am a 137 for 2-3 hours gang kinda guy but I know its sacriligious to some people.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Do you enjoy it? If yes, then congrats, you are doing it right!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

toplitzin posted:

I've been terribly happy with mine.

Much improved over OG foodsaver.
Even with pre-freezing, i'd have issues with wet/liquid items and getting a good vacuum + seal.

It's been great for quick pickles and lacto-fermentation as well.

I find the seals are better and less leaky over the long term than any foodsaver seal I've done over the past decade.
Usually within 3ish months i'll find something in the freezer with a nice coating of ice and bag that's clearly added air from an OG bag style.

I bought an assortment of sized bags off ebay from a cup or so up to about a quart. It's great for "filing cabinet of soup" in the freezer.

:same: on everything. Really love mine. TBF my food saver is like 13 years old at this point but I got really tired of finding poo poo with broken seals in the freezer.

I think the food saver will pull a harder vacuum on completely dry stuff and of course you can vacuum much larger things with it but the only thing I’ve run into so far that didn’t fit in the Anova is a tomahawk steak.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

swickles posted:

Do you enjoy it? If yes, then congrats, you are doing it right!
that's a great point, forums poster swickles. i'm gonna go make some chicken sashimi

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

that's a great point, forums poster swickles. i'm gonna go make some chicken sashimi

Looking forward to how well you like it!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I ended up getting the Anova vacuum sealer pro. Pros and cons:

+ No refractory period
+ Double seal
+ Strong vacuum
+ External accesory port
- Workflow isn't quite as simple, you have to feed the bag roll through the cutter each time
- Seal takes a long time compared to my previous Amazon one, though it does seem more thorough
- A bit more wastage per bag based on distance between the sealing strip and the vacuum bit

I think the very long seal time is because it operates at a lower temperature, hence the lack of refractory period. Probably takes about 3x as long as the Amazon one did.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 18, 2023

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

How much power does the average sous vide stick use per hour to cook a medium rare steak?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

KinkyJohn posted:

How much power does the average sous vide stick use per hour to cook a medium rare steak?

Very little once it’s up to temp

I attached an electricity meter to an Anova several years ago to test it out, don’t remember how much but it was like pennies

So start it out with hot water

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Steve Yun posted:

Very little once it’s up to temp

I attached an electricity meter to an Anova several years ago to test it out, don’t remember how much but it was like pennies

So start it out with hot water

It amazes me how many people dont do this.
If you read reviews of devices there are tons of people bitching about it taking ages to get up to temp.
I put as hot of water that comes out of my faucet into the container before i even turn on the device. This way it takes like 5 minutes max to come to temp.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If I am using a stock pot, I will turn the burner on for like a minute or two and thats enough to get it going. Otherwise I just use as hot as the tap water will go.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If I'm in a real hurry, I help the machine along with some boiling water from my electric kettle.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If I'm in a real hurry, I help the machine along with some boiling water from my electric kettle.

I do this, then fill the rest from the hot tap, by which point it's around 50°C.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Also this but in a 25qt cooler. Still can take like 30 min to get to 134.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I like my Anova chamber vac a lot, as I constantly had problems with liquid ruining seals when doing anything even remotely wet with the regular style. The downside is it has to run a lot longer than the default settings so it's rather slow. The basic 'regular' vacuum leaves a poo poo ton of air, and the strong setting still leaves noticeable pockets.

Anyone have suggestions for dry herbs to replace fresh thyme in the duck confit? I've had these duck legs in my freezer for a month while I tried to find some half decent looking thyme at any store, no go. Either out of stock or already starting to get wet/mushy.

I figured a small pinch of Italian seasoning which is oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, rosemary. The downside is you can't just fish it out at the end like a sprig of fresh thyme, it'll be stuck into the meat I suppose at the end, so I'll do it only on the bottom so it hopefully doesn't burn when crisping it at the end. Mainly I'm wondering if any particular herbs will get weird when they're in the bath for a long time like 10+ hours.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 24, 2023

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Rescue Toaster posted:

Anyone have suggestions for dry herbs to replace fresh thyme in the duck confit? I've had these duck legs in my freezer for a month while I tried to find some half decent looking thyme at any store, no go. Either out of stock or already starting to get wet/mushy.

I figured a small pinch of Italian seasoning which is oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, rosemary. The downside is you can't just fish it out at the end like a sprig of fresh thyme, it'll be stuck into the meat I suppose at the end, so I'll do it only on the bottom so it hopefully doesn't burn when crisping it at the end. Mainly I'm wondering if any particular herbs will get weird when they're in the bath for a long time like 10+ hours.

I just did duck confit recently and also didn't have any thyme. I bagged the legs with salt, pepper, garlic, and some spicy chimichurri rub from Amazon, which I don't think includes thyme but it is green. Most of it came off after pulling from the bags and I added a little more after broiling. No one complained. Italian seasoning would probably be fine, too.

here's my duck pic

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Between the Anova Precision Cooker 3 and its predecessor which is cheaper, it looks like the only differences are 100W more power and dual band wifi. If I don't care about either of those, is there any reason to go for the more expensive one?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Between the Anova Precision Cooker 3 and its predecessor which is cheaper, it looks like the only differences are 100W more power and dual band wifi. If I don't care about either of those, is there any reason to go for the more expensive one?

I'm trying to remember if the predecessor had WiFi at all . . . but if you know those things aren't all that necessary for you then I suspect there is no harm in saving some money.

I have a couple of the older models (iirc Bluetooth but no WiFi) but usually I just use the manual controls on it.

The extra wattage will only change how fast the bath heats up and/or if you're trying to push it to the edge maintaining temp on a large container, but there are a lot of easy workarounds for both of those limitations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The main thing I want out of a change from my current one is wifi - the predecessor to the v3 does have wifi but just 2.4GHz, which isn't an issue. I'll just get the earlier one, thanks.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

The main thing I want out of a change from my current one is wifi - the predecessor to the v3 does have wifi but just 2.4GHz, which isn't an issue. I'll just get the earlier one, thanks.

Hmm, if the difference isn't the existence of WiFi rather than the type of WiFi then maybe some sort of Tech Priest needs to weigh in and explain if/why the difference matters.

I feel like this is something I should know, but do not.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I have an old Anova and the wifi sucks. By sucks I mean that it refuses to work with my wifi.
Because it is incompatible with all security features that modern wifi has.
After some time of trying to get it to work I contacted support and found out it can only connect to wifi if your wifi password is less then 7 characters long.
I ended up using only the buttons and bluetooth modes.
But, if you want to use it over wifi you probably should spring for the expensive option, and still prepare to be disappointed.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That is useful to know, and something I'll look into more - thanks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Thanks everyone for talking about Anovo products because I plan to get a sous vide soon.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Anybody got experience doing lamb ribs sous vide? My plan so far is to do 144 f / 62 c for 8 hours, then let it slow roast over some coals on the fatty side (it has a lot of fat on one side) until fat is rendered crispy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

KinkyJohn posted:

Anybody got experience doing lamb ribs sous vide? My plan so far is to do 144 f / 62 c for 8 hours, then let it slow roast over some coals on the fatty side (it has a lot of fat on one side) until fat is rendered crispy.

That seems too high too long unless its whole? I do individual frenched ribs at 130F for 4 hours.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KinkyJohn posted:

Do you mean rack of lamb? In my experience, rack of lamb is one of those things that is better off not sous viding. In fact, as I recall even ChefSteps (who makes Joule) recommends roasting instead. Here is the world's best rack of lamb recipe, btw.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

asciidic posted:

I just did duck confit recently and also didn't have any thyme. I bagged the legs with salt, pepper, garlic, and some spicy chimichurri rub from Amazon, which I don't think includes thyme but it is green. Most of it came off after pulling from the bags and I added a little more after broiling. No one complained. Italian seasoning would probably be fine, too.

I made the duck legs and it was just OK. I have some ideas for next time (go up to the real 36 hour version, more seasoning inside, do mostly broiler when reheating so it gets crispier) though and I'll definitely try again.

Also I think my duck was maybe organic (I got it at my co-op) or at least a less fatty version maybe, there was very little fat rendered out so that might have been lacking a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I did a little pack of two brats from frozen today and even after two full hours in the bath at 155F, I noticed a little pink center, and putting my thermapen in lengthwise it was only ~145F in there. Of course my wife had already basically eaten one so.... fingers crossed?

Presumably it was at 140-145 for several minutes and should be fairly low risk but it makes the time/temp charts on https://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_2.3 absolute bullshit. Over 2 hours and the temp was still ~10 degrees lower than the water, when this guide for ~25-30mm says it should be within 1F in 1.25 hours. In fact you could nearly add the entire frozen-to-1F time with the full 40F-to-pasteurized times for pork which only even goes to 151F, and somehow it was still 10F lower. I checked the water temp with my thermapen so it wasn't a problem with my anova.

Does make me question how much of his other stuff is this wrong, which is a little concerning. I know in the past I temped a pork loin that had been in for nearly 4 hours (and wasn't frozen going in) and was shocked it was still several degrees lower, but wrote it off as a fluke. Guessing it's maybe not a fluke so much now, I think his heating charts are seriously optimistic, which definitely would mean most of his pasteurization charts are pretty worthless if they're based on totally inaccurate heating curves.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 4, 2023