Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://twitter.com/brittlestar/status/1637213213811941379?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

gently caress YYZ.

Really.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry about your lack of taste, YYZ is the best

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Trying to get picked up at YYZ is loving wild, people just randomly double and triple parking each other. I've never seen it as bad at any other airport, and I don't know what the difference is.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Y’all ever try to catch a Uber at YHZ?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I really enjoyed YYZ when there on a connection and our 11PM departure was delayed four hours for MX and then canceled, to be rescheduled for 7PM the next night. Wound up getting in behind a group of locals that decided to go home instead of waiting in the airport and had a GA open a construction door and let us enter into the ticketing area. We were illegal aliens for a day and were very thankful that Canada doesn't have exit immigration interviews.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

it's a good song you guys are just mean

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I can't imagine this would be used in an urban setting. I think more likely you'd see it too outer lying communities in Alaska, etc., where simply getting a truck through might be problematic or where it absolutely need an antibiotic or a specific drug given as soon as possible.

It's a pretty narrow use case range for the tech, but it sounds like it would handle those cases quite well

I’ve been watching drones drop grenades down turret hatches for the better part of a year now.

It doesn’t seem impossible to turn that into some form of urban speedy delivery for urgent items.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mobby_6kl posted:

Sorry about your lack of taste, YYZ is the best
If YYZ is the best, I'd hate to see your nomination for worst. Its pretty much universally loathed by people that fly with regularity for a reason.

FrozenVent posted:

Y’all ever try to catch a Uber at YHZ?
Not from but I did to.

That city does desperately need something to get to/from there.

But, the facility itself is at least decently laid out for a small little airport and easy to get around in. The observation "deck" is kind of a :lol: but at least they have something.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 21, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Normally in international airports when you have a split between domestic airside and international airside international is the nicer part. Canadian airports are generally weird because US airside is more or less an extra domestic airside, as a result “domestic” services are split and are kinda half assed.

That still doesn’t explain why you need to traverse the labyrinth to connect from an incoming US flight to a domestic Canadian or vice versa. It’s almost like a parody of international airports.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
YYZ Insanity: one of these things is not like the other

We arrive from New York, park at B10 (this was years ago, so the exact gate is probably wrong), and go clear customs, as we're sometimes required to do, before returning back to the plane to fly back to New York.

On the way back from Canadian customs to the plane we follow the directions to the B terminal for the gate we know we parked at: B10; and make quite a bit of headway by the time it starts feeling like it's going too easy, should have hit US customs, or at least some bureaucratic/international difficulties, before making it to the gate. But, whatever, we keep going. After a while, we make it all the way to actual gates, still with no customs, but there is a giant glass partition between us and our gate, and we're on the domestic side of it... and, moreover, on the inside it's called not B10 but A10! So we were supposed to be looking for A10 all along, but how exactly were we supposed to know that? What was supposed to have tipped us off to the bonkers crazy fact that gates have different names inside vs outside, and we need to look for signs for a different terminal?! 😤

Back to the outside, through all the international bottlenecks, we finally make it to BA10, to depart half an hour late after all the back and forth trekking.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

If YYZ is the best, I'd hate to see your nomination for worst. Its pretty much universally loathed by people that fly with regularity for a reason.
It's a Rush joke :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVTWDrtrlc

I haven't been to that airport. For a developed country EWR was pretty bad imo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There’s an east way to deal with YYZ, it’s called Billy Bishop.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's great, because trying to get anywhere from Canada, you get to play: "would I hate YYZ more than US customs and immigration?"

YYZ is slightly less awful, but only by the thinnest of margins.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

airline travel question that seems really simple but I haven't been able to google: I'm going to get off an air France flight from Casablanca to Paris CDG at 2pm. My flight back to the US is on delta at 9am the next day. Will I have to pick up my checked bags in between? I'd rather leave them, if that's possible.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

airline travel question that seems really simple but I haven't been able to google: I'm going to get off an air France flight from Casablanca to Paris CDG at 2pm. My flight back to the US is on delta at 9am the next day. Will I have to pick up my checked bags in between? I'd rather leave them, if that's possible.

Is it on the same ticket? If not, your bags will most likely be checked to CDG only. It's theoretically possible to interline bags to another ticket and carrier but I wouldn't bet on the agent in Casablanca knowing how to do that much less taking the time.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

vessbot posted:

YYZ Insanity: one of these things is not like the other

We arrive from New York, park at B10 (this was years ago, so the exact gate is probably wrong), and go clear customs, as we're sometimes required to do, before returning back to the plane to fly back to New York.

On the way back from Canadian customs to the plane we follow the directions to the B terminal for the gate we know we parked at: B10; and make quite a bit of headway by the time it starts feeling like it's going too easy, should have hit US customs, or at least some bureaucratic/international difficulties, before making it to the gate. But, whatever, we keep going. After a while, we make it all the way to actual gates, still with no customs, but there is a giant glass partition between us and our gate, and we're on the domestic side of it... and, moreover, on the inside it's called not B10 but A10! So we were supposed to be looking for A10 all along, but how exactly were we supposed to know that? What was supposed to have tipped us off to the bonkers crazy fact that gates have different names inside vs outside, and we need to look for signs for a different terminal?! 😤

Back to the outside, through all the international bottlenecks, we finally make it to BA10, to depart half an hour late after all the back and forth trekking.

FWIW, Oslo Gardermoen is the same if I remember correctly; different gate names on the ops side vs the customer side.

Seems confusing for no good reason; made planning a mad 10-minute cross-airport connection a bit difficult a few months ago.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A lot of airports do that, but usually the names are in different formats, right?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

American’s call to let you just up and get free wifi whips rear end. I’m shitposting at 35000 feet above the Gulf of Mexico.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

American’s call to let you just up and get free wifi whips rear end. I’m shitposting at 35000 feet above the Gulf of Mexico.

What? Did AA finally match Delta on this?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Warbird posted:

Oh yeah well United gives me 2 dollars off for being a MileagePlus member :shepicide:

I get to put it on the corporate card though so whatever

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mobby_6kl posted:

I read about Zipline years ago and in Rwanda (IIRC) where they started out the roads were poo poo and almost impassible during the raining season. But unlike with like the phone stuff, I don't think this will transfer to developed countries.

You basically don't need it because you can use one of the gazilion vendors or send your own courier in a car if you need something delivered right now. Last-mile type of delivery that Amazon et al are trying to solve is pretty different since we want the drone to drop off the package on our doorstep.
I know this was talked about a few days ago, but I literally had no idea what you guys were talking about with "Zipline" until I stumbled upon this.

https://youtu.be/DOWDNBu9DkU

I realize it's not for everywhere yet but learning about Abdul, his story and how he is such a seemingly amazing guy is just :unsmith:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

I know this was talked about a few days ago, but I literally had no idea what you guys were talking about with "Zipline" until I stumbled upon this.

https://youtu.be/DOWDNBu9DkU

I realize it's not for everywhere yet but learning about Abdul, his story and how he is such a seemingly amazing guy is just :unsmith:
Yeah that's the Zipline. Abdul is really cool (don't milkshake duck him).

As I mentioned I last heard of them years ago when they were starting out so it's great to see it's working out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

FunOne posted:

Idk, maybe? You watch an ad and get 20 minutes free. In theory you can re up but I wasn’t able to on this leg. They’ve also abandoned in seat screens to some degree as they all have USB and socket power available in addition to a device/tablet holder deal at the top of the seat, though that may only be the Airbus model(s) I flew on.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Warbird posted:

Idk, maybe? You watch an ad and get 20 minutes free. In theory you can re up but I wasn’t able to on this leg. They’ve also abandoned in seat screens to some degree as they all have USB and socket power available in addition to a device/tablet holder deal at the top of the seat, though that may only be the Airbus model(s) I flew on.

I flew a few AA 737s over christmas that were like this too - and had the big overhead bins upgrade too. Honestly really good paxex.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
I have an old laptop with an ancient version of openVPN set up for PIA that can get past captive portals on planes but for some reason the same settings in PIA on my new one don't work and openvpn has some driver problem I'm too lazy to fix for the super rare occasion I don't fly on delta.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FunOne posted:

Middle of January on most flights out of SFO, slowly rolling out across the country

Warbird
May 23, 2012

bonelessdongs posted:

I have an old laptop with an ancient version of openVPN set up for PIA that can get past captive portals on planes but for some reason the same settings in PIA on my new one don't work and openvpn has some driver problem I'm too lazy to fix for the super rare occasion I don't fly on delta.

Can you elaborate a bit on this? Most captive portals are intranet only VLANs and so on and re route you to something with internet actual access once you sign in/pay/whatever. I’d be interested to hear how you were bypassing the pay to play stuff. I wonder if I could rig my WireGuard dial home to make use of it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

Can you elaborate a bit on this? Most captive portals are intranet only VLANs and so on and re route you to something with internet actual access once you sign in/pay/whatever. I’d be interested to hear how you were bypassing the pay to play stuff. I wonder if I could rig my WireGuard dial home to make use of it.
I think I've ran into some captive portals that just stop or redirect all DNS requests, so if you have the ip you can just use it anyway.

I don't really spend enough time in places like that to bother with it, but I'd be curious how that works too. The only other thing that I had in mind was on the un-encrypted connections/portals you could intercept somebody's login and just use that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
There are a lot of captive portals that pass DNS as normal and just block other traffic and redirect HTTP requests to the login page. In those cases something like iodine can be used to tunnel data over DNS. There are also similar methods to tunnel data over pings, which I once used to get free internet on a cruise ship.

edit: This actually reminded me that I've left an iodine service running on my VPS since 2018....

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It’s a shame I don’t fly more these days. I’d love to get on a plane’s intranet and poke around at it.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Warbird posted:

No idea, I was using one of these files and some old version of openvpn on windows 7 and it magically connected lmao
https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/kb/articles/where-can-i-find-your-ovpn-files

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Tickets for the last Reno Air Races went on sale this morning. Everybody Taylor Swifted the ticket site and they got 22 tickets sold before the whole thing went down for all events. Took an hour and a half to get it working enough for sales to resume.

Looks like plenty of tickets left if anyone wants to do a goon meet.

https://airrace.org/reno-air-races-tickets/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Airlines should totally keep doing those "single pilot" studies: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna76275

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Airlines should totally keep doing those "single pilot" studies: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna76275
The computer does all the work, it will be fine.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Every issue of the Callback newsletter is a good reminder why having two people in the cockpit is a good idea. https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/publications/callback/cb_517.html

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I'd want to ask the idea men how they square having triple redundancies for every system in the machine with having none for the god drat pilot, but I'm scared I would try to strangle them first

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I'd want to ask the idea men how they square having triple redundancies for every system in the machine with having none for the god drat pilot, but I'm scared I would try to strangle them first

Think of the stock buybacks you can do when you halve the pilot payroll.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Old but maybe some haven't seen this before

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1638889057638858752?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I've heard from reliable source that the bottom of this aircraft was wet. The T56 is not what I'd describe as an excessively powerful powerplant.