Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

net work error posted:

I don't donate to npr but I do donate to the Internet archive

I have donated to NPR in the past :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

landlord dies in eviction involved beating

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I am ruling the conduct of the tenant as being within department policy.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

why the gently caress did my bank just cold call me to offer me a home equity loan?? they even left me a voicemail.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Jon Irenicus posted:

why the gently caress did my bank just cold call me to offer me a home equity loan?? they even left me a voicemail.

they're putting employees on performance review and some of the employees think they can survive it

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

landlord dies in eviction involved beating

the landlord, who later died, was a suspect in an eviction-involved beating earlier this afternoon.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the landlord died badly

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I have donated to NPR in the past :negative:

there was another donation drive this morning and they were talking about how its good to be nice to one another amidst the turmoil. i think it was very swell. :angel:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Nonsense posted:

the landlord died badly

lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Radirot posted:

there was another donation drive this morning and they were talking about how its good to be nice to one another amidst the turmoil. i think it was very swell. :angel:

They're right.

Which is why I donate to the regional food bank and to the Goon Fund. Not National President Radio lol

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I've had the same auto loan company call me like 16 times asking me if I am still interested in an autoloan.

How the gently caress you cold calling autoloans?

I come to you.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

triple sulk posted:

dpreview shutting down is honestly a big deal because there's virtually zero chance amazon archives the data for public viewing forever based on what the site says and a quarter century of information will likely be gone from the web just like that

darn how will i ever learn about the next camera with .3 more megapixels or updated lens with .1 larger aperture. my bird pics will never be sharp enough.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Radirot posted:

i turn on NPR once in awhile when im driving before getting increasingly angry, every single time, and it feels like they're doing 24/7 donation begging drives these days

i usually last about 3-5 minutes before rage quitting and putting on a podcast instead

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

apatheticman posted:

I've had the same auto loan company call me like 16 times asking me if I am still interested in an autoloan.

How the gently caress you cold calling autoloans?

I come to you.

I love getting refi notices on my car. Sure I would love a lower car payment, but I also don't want to be paying for my car for an additional 7 years. I put down as much as I could afford for a down payment so that I wouldn't have to get another 7 year loan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xaris posted:

i turn on NPR once in awhile when im driving before getting increasingly angry, every single time, and it feels like they're doing 24/7 donation begging drives these days

i usually last about 3-5 minutes before rage quitting and putting on a podcast instead

That's how they trick you into thinking they're aligned with the democrats.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I love getting refi notices on my car. Sure I would love a lower car payment, but I also don't want to be paying for my car for an additional 7 years. I put down as much as I could afford for a down payment so that I wouldn't have to get another 7 year loan.

this, helocs, and reverse mortgages should be illegal

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jon Irenicus posted:

My guess would be that they probably want to take your money

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

i mostly just tune in when driving to work for Marketplace Morning Report.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

You don't have to refinance for seven years, it could be for a shorter period of time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Xaris posted:

I wonder how long until podcasts are ruined

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
The city thought that Amazon coming in would rejuvinate the cursed mall

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vox Nihili posted:

You don't have to refinance for seven years, it could be for a shorter period of time.

I'm sure, but all the random refi ads I get in the mail tend to be about like that

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm sure, but all the random refi ads I get in the mail tend to be about like that

Oh yeah they're out to gently caress you, no doubt about it

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Podcasts are already ruined. It's hard to find anything new that is good since it's just an endless sea of audio from youtube videos of 2 people talking at each other about nothing or reading reddit out loud and reacting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

poemdexter posted:

Podcasts are already ruined. It's hard to find anything new that is good since it's just an endless sea of audio from youtube videos of 2 people talking at each other about nothing or reading reddit out loud and reacting.

There are still plenty of good podcasts, I listen to a lot of them

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Pretty much every sports podcast already opens with like five parlay or under/over "suggestions" with their preferred gambling partner, it's abysmal

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Where the gently caress does anyone get the notion that the company famous for strangling brick-and-mortar businesses to death would revitalize their brick-and-mortar temple to consumerism and 1980s optimism?

How do you even get that many brain worms?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

PoundSand posted:

That's always a part I found strangely confusing I mean surely a big collapse would hurt everyone right. Proportionally of course the poor will suffer more but if you just grind america in a general sense down into poverty the rich people won't be as rich as they once were and that seems like it should be something they'd want to avoid?

The civil war within the 1% is rats fleeing a sinking ship Vs Crabs in a bucket

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Radirot posted:

darn how will i ever learn about the next camera with .3 more megapixels or updated lens with .1 larger aperture. my bird pics will never be sharp enough.

i feel your pain

Serf
May 5, 2011

thechosenone posted:

It's even worse: it's assets all over the world in countless different countries with an endless series of subsidies and laws. Only a nation with overwhelming military and political might could even hope to (edit: recoup, but it still made sense in context of you like read it as hoping to the throne or whatever) 75 percent of the value in total. Why on earth should they put in that effort for some useless idiot not attached to an apparatus that can already do that (because they destroyed it's ability to do so)? Because they promise to destroy them too?

the fact that they cannot pick up and carry the means of production to new zealand actually makes it much easier to take them away. the money is fake, but the physical resources that are partially embodied in it are real and cannot be easily moved. we don't want their mansions or their fancy cars, we want the infrastructure. the money in the bank accounts means nothing

this is of course in a fantasy scenario where the power of the state is being wielded for the benefit of the working class, which isn't going to happen in america

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BITCOIN 30K

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Amazon built a Fresh in a town close to mine almost two years ago, and it was supposed to open six months ago. It's still vacant and taking up space in a busy shopping district.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nonsense posted:

BITCOIN 30K

Banks (full of fiat money) collapsing... Bitcoin rising from the grave...

Is this ronpaul.gif?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Warmachine posted:

Where the gently caress does anyone get the notion that the company famous for strangling brick-and-mortar businesses to death would revitalize their brick-and-mortar temple to consumerism and 1980s optimism?

How do you even get that many brain worms?

lol my dude they just need to to tell folks that jobs are coming in order to sell the massive tax givewaway.

when they don't come they've long since moved on

just like sports team/stadium bullshit

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

triple sulk posted:

dpreview (site for cameras, don't be horny!!) is apparently closing too as a result of the amazon thing. rip

there go 25 years of flame wars over total light :negative:

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

but seriously the continuing death of subject-specific websites everywhere sucks. rip

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fed should just ban cryptocurrency.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I like my specialized websites like I like my copper, poor quality and rude to me and my servants

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

goochtit posted:

but seriously the continuing death of subject-specific websites everywhere sucks. rip

all the brand and system-specific communities are now trying to figure out where to migrate to. it sucks a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

goochtit posted:

part of it is probably all those junk websites that clogged up google search, competing to get the clicks from people and google putting its thumb on the scale