Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

No Wave posted:

Wait high evolutionary is broken. You can just run evolved misty + sunspot to double sunspot. Imagine if they actually balanced the cards that needed to be balanced.

Misty adds 1, not whatever you have left. It's not double sunspot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

uXs posted:

Misty adds 1, not whatever you have left. It's not double sunspot.
Ok, mb. Thats a big difference. I'll do more reading and less posting today.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

uXs posted:

If your opponent plays 3, but their last card happens to be on the same lane as Aero, she doesn't move anything.

This is not a nerf, it's a death sentence. She's garbage now.

I said it last week, Wasp just became the best Aero counter in the game. I already replaced her in the decks she was in.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
so counteraero now is important card first, and crap card after?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

so counteraero now is important card first, and crap card after?

You got it. [Ms. Marvel winking thumbs up]

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Got Orka in the free card shop. He's the only S3 I don't have, and I don't particularly want him. Given the 4x token rate for those who aren't S3 complete, should I just ignore him?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Isn't the token gain the same now for S3 complete and S3 incomplete? I had thought the token change was bringing up the incomplete group to the token gain of the complete group

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

psychopomp posted:

Got Orka in the free card shop. He's the only S3 I don't have, and I don't particularly want him. Given the 4x token rate for those who aren't S3 complete, should I just ignore him?
That's not how it works. Claim him or lose 100 tokens when you open him instead.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I reluctantly claimed orka, sighing while doing so. I had attuma and mbaku already so I’m back to p3 complete!

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

I have just under a dozen pool 3 cards left to snag, and wanted to consult you all in those I should prioritize. I know some are trash, but which of these should be on my want list? I dabble in different decks (mostly discard) which probably accounts for why I feel like I can’t pilot any very well so I’m not bound to any archetype. I’m torn between Electro (and Goose for some reason) but along with those two I still need:

Black Cat, Capt Marvel, Cerebro, Debrii, Destroyer, Giganto, Green Goblin, Kingpin and Ultron

I’ve only glanced at the patch notes so I’m not familiar with any anticipated upcoming shifts to the meta that might influence my choice.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

No Wave posted:

I promise you it did not. Play your old deck and you'll see what I mean.

Ok, so it's just a visual change? Morbius reads as 0 in your hand but pops up to where he should be once he's in play?

Makes sense I guess if it's just to get him more consistent with how other cards display

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’m really loving annoyed they didn’t nerf Shuri. And even more annoyed that she’s the first one to appear in my token shop today. Should I buy Shuri or wait for a big bad? It really feels like they hosed this all up today. Aero nerf is probably fine, same with Shulk nerf. Why the gently caress did they buff Red Skull? I don’t get it.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

That Taskmaster nerf really sucks. I basically used him as a counter to Shang-Chi in my Big Beefy Boyz decks, and now that's loving gone.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

One of the devs was doing some twitter Q&A today. He said Thanos had one bad matchup, some sera killmonger thing (48% matchup). Shuri had one bad matchup, Thanos (46%). So then they nerf Thanos and not shuri? He also said their internal experts on Shuri were confident that 12 power red skull would be going too far. I just dont rly understand it seems like alien talk to me.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
https://twitter.com/MarvelSnapZone/status/1638241334292287488?t=vXfVieLPOe161kKD4aJgHg&s=19

Wow. Howard is surprisingly good. Combined with Iron Lad can be devastating. Even then to know a draw ahead can help a ton.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Hey, our first "tap" card. I guess that answers how the possible data-mined Kitty Pryde might work? (Since i believe she is also going to be a "tap to activate" type of card?)

Hopefully there's a tap to confirm...I mean, doesn't matter much with Howard, but if future cards have "Tap to do X" that have bigger effects, it would be a nice feature to not accidentally activate them.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

No Wave posted:

One of the devs was doing some twitter Q&A today. He said Thanos had one bad matchup, some sera killmonger thing (48% matchup). Shuri had one bad matchup, Thanos (46%). So then they nerf Thanos and not shuri? He also said their internal experts on Shuri were confident that 12 power red skull would be going too far. I just dont rly understand it seems like alien talk to me.

It feels like they’re, for some reason, willing to die on the ship of “Shuri is fine and does not need a nerf” and I am flabbergasted by it. There wasn’t a single buff in this round of balance updates. They just did sensible nerds to big issues and then LEFT SHURI DECKS ALONE?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Very excited about "tap" cards. Not having any cards that allow you to choose specific cards with effects has been very noticable. Having things like destroy or discard effects that let you select which card is getting removed will be very strong.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hey, our first "tap" card. I guess that answers how the possible data-mined Kitty Pryde might work? (Since i believe she is also going to be a "tap to activate" type of card?)

Hopefully there's a tap to confirm...I mean, doesn't matter much with Howard, but if future cards have "Tap to do X" that have bigger effects, it would be a nice feature to not accidentally activate them.

I wonder what 'tap' here actually means. Is it just 'tap' whenever so you can do it multiple times?

Or is it 'tap' like in MtG where you can do it once and then it's done?

Also interesting that it's ongoing which means you can turn it off. Or steal it.

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist
I don't like the new "beep" sound when clicking on someone's profile or an emote. Big nerf!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Am I understanding that Iron Lad card correctly to mean that it copies the ability of the next card in your deck, whether it's ongoing on on reveal or whatever?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Yes. It copies the text, not the "ongoing" or "on reveal" ability.

I'll add to the general bewilderment as to what Second Dinner is doing with balance. My confusion is in two parts. They tackled the high end cards in an inconsistent way. They acknowledge Shuri and Thanos are a problem. They nerfed Thanos three ways including a way that agree hurts non-problematic archetypes instead of an obvious solution that might require some coding time (namely that the stones, which are always in a Thanos deck, are "added" to a Thanos deck).

Second, and more disappointingly, they didn't acknowledge the piles of cards that see limited play because they're not good. Maybe Punisher needs an extra power. Medusa needs an extra power or to be a one cost, etc. Leader really stinks after they nerfed him months ago, maybe take another look?

Maneck fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 21, 2023

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Mons Hubris posted:

Am I understanding that Iron Lad card correctly to mean that it copies the ability of the next card in your deck, whether it's ongoing on on reveal or whatever?

Yeah, I expect him to work the same way as Morph.

AloePieceOfShit
Jan 26, 2020

Youremother posted:

I wonder, will High Evolutionary have synergy with Patriot or will say drawing him from X Mansion kill you game plan?

HE doesn't work with Patriot and is basically a vanilla 4/7 if he doesn't start in your deck. His datamined text means his ability only works if he starts in your deck, ala Thanos.

AloePieceOfShit fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 21, 2023

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Youremother posted:

I wonder, will High Evolutionary have synergy with Patriot or will say drawing him from X Mansion kill you game plan?

It's a start of game effect so it shouldn't do anything if he's randomly generated

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

AloePieceOfShit posted:

HE doesn't work with Patriot and is basically a vanilla 4/7 if he doesn't start in your deck. His datamined text means his ability only works if he starts in your deck, ala Thanos.

Finally Quicksilver's time to shine!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

WaffleZombie posted:

That Taskmaster nerf really sucks. I basically used him as a counter to Shang-Chi in my Big Beefy Boyz decks, and now that's loving gone.

It was always kind of poo poo that Taskmaster could copy a dead card but Mystique couldn't copy one hit by Enchantress. The fact that Mystique could also copy a dead card was a moot point.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Also my Level 40 Season Pass mystery card was pixel Blue Marvel.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yeah if you have Shuri pinned get her, Shuri/Zero is uncontestedly the best deck in the game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cirus posted:

Finally Quicksilver's time to shine!

Quicksilver has an ability.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
What the gently caress are these nerfs lol. Shuri really untouched is hilarious

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Jedit posted:

Quicksilver has an ability.

I meant if they only work from your deck then Quicksilver increases the odds they start in deck

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

No Wave posted:

Sandwolf posted:

It feels like they’re, for some reason, willing to die on the ship of “Shuri is fine and does not need a nerf” and I am flabbergasted by it. There wasn’t a single buff in this round of balance updates. They just did sensible nerds to big issues and then LEFT SHURI DECKS ALONE?

what? like half of the changes here were directly aimed at Shuri decks

Shuri isn't running a crazy value engine or shutting down your opponents game plan, it was just an accumulation of some of the strongest cards in the game + had the potential to just create too much power for other decks to beat with its good hands, so all these changes chip away at it by making it less consistent/more prone to opposing interaction/less overwhelming in the amount of power generated

generating a lot of power is something other decks do well, just not as well, you don't necessarily need drastic changes to bring Shuri down to a range where other things can compete

these things also work in combination - i.e. the Red Skull change doesn't really nerf it in isolation, but that's fine, Shuri->Red Skull for effective 22 power (24 with shuri) to likely win a single lane isn't actually that unreasonable (compare to stuff you can do with Dracula, Devil Dinosaur/Mystique, etc.), where it gets broken is with Taskmaster who then adds +30 power to a different lane, this cuts that line down by 4 power and makes it more vulnerable to disruption (via shang, aeroing the red skull into fisk tower, etc.), which significantly increases the chances other decks can compete

this is exacerbated by the she-hulk and aero changes also cut down on the decks' power with less ideal hands (and with cards that had been identified as being a bit strong even in other circumstances)

all of this might very well not be enough (I think it is likely shuri zero is still a top deck), but it's clearly an effort at reigning the dominant decks in without destroying them - I think it's reasonable to let the meta fall out a bit before crying that the nerfs weren't sufficient

e: I am excited for High Evolutionary, strength aside it'll be fun to have something else to do with the vanilla cards beyond Patriot, especially some of the ones that don't usually see play even there

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 21, 2023

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Now, instead of having to beat 30+ power in two lanes, you need to beat 26ish+ power in two lanes. Bravo

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Zodack posted:

Now, instead of having to beat 30+ power in two lanes, you need to beat 26ish+ power in two lanes. Bravo

And one lane will have Armor, the other Cosmo, so no Shang-Chi, either.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Spent 9000 tokens upon the update. Not a single variant, Steampunk or otherwise.

I DID pull Sauron so that just made my Shuri Zero plays much better! Was about to spend 3k on him.

Also got Negasonic Teenage Warhead in the shop due to the new card feature. Should I buy? Got 13k tokens and seems like a decent tech card for control decks.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

LGD posted:

what? like half of the changes here were directly aimed at Shuri decks

Shuri isn't running a crazy value engine or shutting down your opponents game plan, it was just an accumulation of some of the strongest cards in the game + had the potential to just create too much power for other decks to beat with its good hands, so all these changes chip away at it by making it less consistent/more prone to opposing interaction/less overwhelming in the amount of power generated

generating a lot of power is something other decks do well, just not as well, you don't necessarily need drastic changes to bring Shuri down to a range where other things can compete

these things also work in combination - i.e. the Red Skull change doesn't really nerf it in isolation, but that's fine, Shuri->Red Skull for effective 22 power (24 with shuri) to likely win a single lane isn't actually that unreasonable (compare to stuff you can do with Dracula, Devil Dinosaur/Mystique, etc.), where it gets broken is with Taskmaster who then adds +30 power to a different lane, this cuts that line down by 4 power and makes it more vulnerable to disruption (via shang, aeroing the red skull into fisk tower, etc.), which significantly increases the chances other decks can compete

this is exacerbated by the she-hulk and aero changes also cut down on the decks' power with less ideal hands (and with cards that had been identified as being a bit strong even in other circumstances)

all of this might very well not be enough (I think it is likely shuri zero is still a top deck), but it's clearly an effort at reigning the dominant decks in without destroying them - I think it's reasonable to let the meta fall out a bit before crying that the nerfs weren't sufficient

e: I am excited for High Evolutionary, strength aside it'll be fun to have something else to do with the vanilla cards beyond Patriot, especially some of the ones that don't usually see play even there

It's almost like the real problem with the deck is the 4 drop that can give up to 15 13 extra power and it's hilariously easy to protect

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

And one lane will have Armor, the other Cosmo, so no Shang-Chi, either.

That's the rub I think - Taskmaster's change really doesn't actually matter a whole lot when it comes down to it, because Skull or any other buffed card is going to sit behind a wall you can't easily remove.

Enchantress does it (half the time), but at this point, how many more cards do we need to slot to deal with the deck? Aero, Shang Chi, one more? Two more? I realize you gotta tech if you want to ladder, but I would prefer to play a deck that is more fun, less tech pile

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Waffleopolis posted:

Spent 9000 tokens upon the update. Not a single variant, Steampunk or otherwise.

I DID pull Sauron so that just made my Shuri Zero plays much better! Was about to spend 3k on him.

Also got Negasonic Teenage Warhead in the shop due to the new card feature. Should I buy? Got 13k tokens and seems like a decent tech card for control decks.

9000 tokens? Do you mean credits?

I opened 36 boxes (pool 3 complete so no reason to open them earlier), and I got:

-Shanna
-Stature
-4 of the 5 steampunk variants (just missing the Cerebro one)

Shanna and Stature were in the same 40-box group so that's a thing that can happen apparently. I did not know that.

All in all, not opening boxes until you have a very good reason to do open them (like this variant rush, if you want the variants), has turned out to be a great idea. A++ would not open boxes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Quote is not edit