Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lumbermouth posted:

So that’s why people are putting a hot dog in it.

is that actually a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I don't think zapps is sold nationwide unfortunately

I would have guessed they would be stuck in the MAGAChud uninhabitable zone, but got these in the DMV. Definitely worth checking out, or snagging online if you can get it!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Chicken bakes used to be my go-to lunch; but then they switched over to the more mass-produced looking ones with the pinched ends and the quality really fell off. I just get a cheese slice now, despite it being less filling.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Costco founder: I will murder you if you change the price of the hot dog

Also costco founder: yeah just ruin the entire food court nbd

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

binge crotching posted:

Costco is the only place my dad buys his brisket, and it always comes out perfect.

Awesome! Gonna go on Friday.

Hopefully I don’t gently caress this up. I’ve never actually smoked anything before lol

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Super Waffle posted:

Chicken bakes used to be my go-to lunch; but then they switched over to the more mass-produced looking ones with the pinched ends and the quality really fell off. I just get a cheese slice now, despite it being less filling.

Cheese Slice is 710 calories, Chicken Bake is 840 calories, but the bake is twice the price. I'm assuming you resemble your avatar and know what to do with that information.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MarcusSA posted:

Awesome! Gonna go on Friday.

Hopefully I don’t gently caress this up. I’ve never actually smoked anything before lol

Smoking a brisket as thefirst thing you ever smoke is very ambitious.

A pork butt is way more forgiving and is what most people cut their teeth on. Pork butt, ribs. Less expensive cuts of meat. A 80 dollar brisket is an expensive way to learn, not to mention time consuming as it can take 12-14+ hours to smoke a brisket.

Hot take: I’m a Texan and brisket is way overrated.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

skipdogg posted:

A pork butt is way more forgiving and is what most people cut their teeth on. Pork butt, ribs. Less expensive cuts of meat. A 80 dollar brisket is an expensive way to learn, not to mention time consuming as it can take 12-14+ hours to smoke a brisket.

Hmm ok maybe I’ll rethink it then. You are right about the pork. I can get that super cheap.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What are you going to be smoking on? Pellet grill?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MarcusSA posted:

Hmm ok maybe I’ll rethink it then. You are right about the pork. I can get that super cheap.

And lucky for you, Costco sells pork butts in 2 packs, and super cheap!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

skipdogg posted:

This is exactly what I was gonna say

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Cheese Slice is 710 calories, Chicken Bake is 840 calories, but the bake is twice the price. I'm assuming you resemble your avatar and know what to do with that information.

I made the mistake of getting two slices the other week. :rip: to my everything

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

skipdogg posted:

What are you going to be smoking on? Pellet grill?

Yeah I just got a trager.

I’ve had it for a few weeks but the rain has been poo poo when I’m off so I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I still cant get over the guy who returned a 3 year old bed in a hundred pieces.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Hot take: I'm a born and bred Texan and you're full of poo poo, try moving somewhere where you can't throw a rock and hit good brisket, brisket rules compared to pulled pork, smoked jalapeno cheddar sausage, or ribs. What else are you even ordering if it isnt brisket, the smoked turkey? A chicken half? C'mon

That said smoking a brisket does come with a lot of extra steps but it's not impossible to make a passable one for your first time, and the kinda person that smokes with hamster pellets is probably going to drown it in Sweet Baby Ray's (Costco does have the two ginormous bottle pack) anyway

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well I was going to buy the brisket and trim it. Then rub it the night before.

Smoke it at 250 for about 6 (ish) hours and wrap it in foil at 165 for the last bit.

I guess what I didn’t realize was that brisket was going to be $80 lol! Pork is definitely a lot cheaper from what I’ve seen.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

skipdogg posted:

^^ RIGHT!

skipdogg posted:

^^ WRONG!

Renegret posted:

And lucky for you, Costco sells pork butts in 2 packs, and super cheap!

I can almost always get pork butts cheaper at grocery stores or restaurant supply stores and you're not stuck buying 20lbs of meat. Costco here is typically $2/lb, while grocery stores are often $1.50 and I've paid as low as $0.88/lb before. Costco here sells "boneless", so there is some weight factor there, but I honestly prefer bone-in since they really mangle the meat getting the bone out. Once its properly cooked the bone will slide out with no issue so its not really an annoyance.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Smugworth posted:

Hot take: I'm a born and bred Texan and you're full of poo poo, try moving somewhere where you can't throw a rock and hit good brisket, brisket rules compared to pulled pork, smoked jalapeno cheddar sausage, or ribs. What else are you even ordering if it isnt brisket, the smoked turkey? A chicken half? C'mon

That said smoking a brisket does come with a lot of extra steps but it's not impossible to make a passable one for your first time, and the kinda person that smokes with hamster pellets is probably going to drown it in Sweet Baby Ray's (Costco does have the two ginormous bottle pack) anyway

Man that smoked Turkey is always way better than you remember it every time though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Smugworth posted:

Brisket is fine, but it's doesn't live up to the hype. When it was a cheap piece of meat that no one wanted and you needed to feed a bunch of people for not much money I could see cooking one, of if you're just a hardcore bbq nerd that loves smoking things that take 12+ hours, thats cool too, everyone needs a hobby of some sort. Black's is up to 27.99 a pound for the stuff, and almost everywhere is north of 20 bucks a pound now.

MarcusSA posted:

Well I was going to buy the brisket and trim it. Then rub it the night before.

Smoke it at 250 for about 6 (ish) hours and wrap it in foil at 165 for the last bit.

I guess what I didn’t realize was that brisket was going to be $80 lol! Pork is definitely a lot cheaper from what I’ve seen.

Don't let me dissuade you from using your new grill. There's lots of easy to follow brisket recipes out there, and if you i use some beef tallow your results will be pretty good. Find a good youtube video with lots of positive comments and follow their method. Everyone has their own. You might be able to find a Brisket for 60ish dollars at Costco depending on the size. I think last time I was there it was about 4 dollars a pound, so a 15 pound brisket will run you 60 bucks or so. Using a traeger will make the results more consistent as well. I've had a Masterbuilt for about a year now and I still haven't smoked a brisket yet, mostly because I haven't had the need for that much food. Most folks recommend smoking a pork butt as your first thing, or even some 3-2-1 ribs before tackling a brisket, but if you want brisket go for it dude.

Do smoke some cream cheese though, last time I was at church they had large bottles of the Fischer and Weiser Raspberry Chipotle sauce and that poo poo is top tier right there. Smoke some cream cheese, pour that over it, and enjoy with your favorite cracker (I like wheat thins).

My favorite things to "smoke" (not sure if the Masterbuilt really qualifies as a smoker to be honest) are whole chicken wings, and pork belly burnt ends. Both are really forgiving.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 21, 2023

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Anyone had these Okami bao buns yet

Might steam these suckers for dinner tonight

They were right next to the Jon**a at my local

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Brisket is far and away my favorite smoked meat, but I'll join the chorus saying go for pork butt your first time out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

They're FINE but all they do is make me yearn for the real thing.

I also don't have any way to steam them properly which might be part of the problem.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

I had them, I steamed them and they make for a good snack or appetizer. HOWEVER My wife doesn't do meat so I ended up eating six at a time and they're not six at a time good. I'd pick them up if I had company over.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just whatever you smoke be careful your dad doesn't catch you and make you smoke the whole pack

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Are you telling me a chicken baked this? Yeah I believe that. They did a pretty bad job.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

I love Cheez-Its and I really loving love Extra Toasty Cheez-Its so I got a bag of these to try when I saw them in Costco a few months ago.

I had to toss the bag out, they are loving atrocious, it's all onion powder, MSG, and a thin film of grease. They are some Doritoized version that taste nothing like the original product and stayed on my breath for two days.

Gonna eat some cheez-it stuff'd to commemorate this post.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

thread title is about the windshield wiper blades right

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, the snapp'd cheez its definitely have a different flavor to them and I'm fine with that. Apparently I love onion powder, MSG, and grease

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

The Saucer Hovers posted:

I shop at Costco, what makes you think I can afford such luxuries?*

*Actually just had people buy us gift cards for cash as >$100 for membership was an amount that was hard to budget.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

skipdogg posted:

Gotta disagree with you there, hoss. Brisket is perfectly rated - it has the reputation for the best and it can be exactly that.

Brisket is very inconsistent though. I've had it from some spots and it's great one day, dried out the next.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, the snapp'd cheez its definitely have a different flavor to them and I'm fine with that. Apparently I love onion powder, MSG, and grease

They're really good Zero VGS is clearly a wrong doo doo face whose opinion is wrong and bad.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Saucer Hovers posted:

yes definitely, I suggest PIAA wiper blades myself. the silicone really helps get the water off in a single swipe and it leaves behind a protective coating, which is definitely not a phrase anyone can misinterpret :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 22, 2023

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Smugworth posted:

What else are you even ordering if it isnt brisket, the smoked turkey? A chicken half? C'mon

I like BBQ turkey :saddowns:

I don't eat beef or pork

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Super Waffle posted:

I like BBQ turkey :saddowns:

I don't eat beef or pork

Bum the Sad posted:

Man that smoked Turkey is always way better than you remember it every time though.

I ain't gonna deny it

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I'll be the Costco Whisperer telling the store to put what you want on sale.

You're welcome.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

is USDA Prime graded beef brisket a fraction of the price of regular at everyone elses church or do I need to be rebalancing my retirement portfolio into chest freezers?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are you comparing the price of an untrimmed whole packer to a trimmed flat?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Going to Costco

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

is USDA Prime graded beef brisket a fraction of the price of regular at everyone elses church or do I need to be rebalancing my retirement portfolio into chest freezers?

Fairly certain the whole packers at costco are choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Fairly certain the whole packers at costco are choice

The packers are all prime at the costcos near me. The flats are often choice.