Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Had a friend who just spent a bundle on a new TV…..a Samsung QLED. Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/03/20/microsoft-wants-xbox-games-store-on-iphone/

If this happens I might not need to get a new TV and can just play on my fancy iPhone.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Escobarbarian posted:

Had a friend who just spent a bundle on a new TV…..a Samsung QLED. Sad!
Many such cases!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

OLED..... it's such a game changer my man

I have an OLED 4K tv, and a Non-OLED 4k TV.

My old dying eyes (mid 30s, don't need glasses) only notice the difference if I'm like "I should appreciate how black the black parts of the screen are."

But I'm also pretty severely red/green colorblind so I can't notice a lot of the improvements there either.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i had to turn the TV off the default out-of-box settings because the reds were literally searing my eyes lol

theoretically a 120hz TV has a feature which allows it to smooth a 30fps locked game to 60fps with no loss in input lag but i can't imagine it looking particularly great

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the other problem is that it's a Samsung so the software was designed by The Joker, from Batman

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i had to turn the TV off the default out-of-box settings because the reds were literally searing my eyes lol

You should always do this. And set up the tv with different settings for every input (console, tv-streaming, etc...) to get the preferred image.
There are a lot of how-tos on youtube to help you.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

just buy a cheap 4k to tide you over, it's not some life-altering purchase. series x shouldn't even work with 1080p

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah you can get a cheap rear end 4k Roku TV nowadays which probably has better software than whatever pile of rear end!!!!!!! Samsung put on theirs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also after having fun with graphically intensive poo poo on my Series X and OLED 4K TV, the game i am currently playing most often is Pokemon Violet

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm too cheap to buy a good TV and dont want to buy a bad TV. Its quite a pickle, the easiest thing to do is just continue using my nine year old 1080P TV And my six year old 1440P monitor until they break and my hand is forced

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Kins posted:

Some More Game Pass Stuff

COMING:
March 28: MLB The Show 23 (Cloud and Console)

Hyped!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the latest stuff by that group of Chinese brands which put out Roku-branded stuff like TCL are legitimately good cheap TVs.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I feel like the 4K stuff only matters if you like to play cookie cutter HBO miniseries simulator trash and in that case you should probably go over to the PS5 thread. Actually good games like Vampire Survivors and Ghost Song and Age2 and Guilty Gear don't really need it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hm does anyone know if Dead Cells doesn’t support cloud save syncing or if I mucked something up? My SX and PC saves are not aligned and I need my unlocked looooot

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ColdPie posted:

I feel like the 4K stuff only matters if you like to play cookie cutter HBO miniseries simulator trash and in that case you should probably go over to the PS5 thread. Actually good games like Vampire Survivors and Ghost Song and Age2 and Guilty Gear don't really need it.

It doesn't matter if you "need it" or not it's getting to the point where it's like impossible to buy a 1080 TV unless you buy literally the cheapest thing Best Buy has

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

They're putting in WBC cards including guys not in MLB too. Double hype.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Continuing my BioWare kick I have been working through Dragon Age Origins on Game Pass, one of the best games of all time. It's dumb how this 360 title from over a decade ago has better achievement detection than ME Andromeda - which I just stopped replaying because I couldn't even get the cheevo for Ryder to gain access to the Tempest - while I was flying around in the loving Tempest.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
MS is weirdly bad at organising and presenting their stuff for being the same company that releases operating systems.

Half a year ago I tried buying six games with a reduced price (I don't have gold). The transaction was cancelled for unknown reasons to me. Later I learned that you have to set up your banking info and not just your paypal when you buy through a website on a pc (not using the xbox at least). I checked and three of them were indeed cancelled, however another three games worth 20 Euros appeared on the list of games I own and I can play them without my bank account being debited. Feeling honest I contacted support and they told me after checking "those were free anyway" which is definitely untrue, but now I have them for free I guess.

Today I was notified of a sale but when I click on the link in the mail it takes me to a site that has the game in British pounds and it is not for sale. Seeking it out with the xbox it shows me the price in Euros but it is only cheaper with gold. This is all so annoying. Apparently it takes the "language region" (English) as "region" even though the "region" (actual location) is different from that. All in all this has been pretty stupid. Sorry for the rant.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Maybe you folks can help me out with an unusual audio situation that I feel might be impossible to solve.

I get together with a group of friends in real life for a gaming night. Four TV's, four Xboxes, single room. Thing is, we also play online with the rest of the group.

This hasn't worked very well as far as sound is concerned. We need headsets to talk to the remote people, but we also need to be able to talk to one another in person. Since we're in the same room, party chat in the headphones isn't great for the in-person crowd - we hear one another speak/yell irl and then a second later through party chat. So we muted each other in chat BUT now we couldn't hear each other well. This has led to a room full of grown-rear end adults using headsets lopsided with one ear uncovered. This kind of sucks because now the game sounds like poo poo and it's uncomfortable.

What is the solution here?

Things we've tried or thought of and shot down:

• Plugging wireless headsets that have a transparency mode into the controller using an audio cable. This would have been great; it's a perfect solution on mobile. It didn't work because every single pair of wireless headphones on the market that has a 3.5mm connection option will not turn on while using it. Sure, audio plays and even sounds good but mics don't work (without a mic-in cable anyway) but more importantly features like transparency mode aren't available.
  • Using the Skull & Co. Audiobox to jerryrig Bluetooth support into the $500 modern piece of hardware. No dice because the audiobox bafflingly doesn't support audio input over Bluetooth. Sure, it has its own mic but it is so awful it shouldn't be used by a human in any circumstances. Unusable.
  • Having half a dozen people buy the Arctis Nova Pro Wireless. Yeah it has a transparency mode but there is no way we're going to spend just shy of two grand, especially for a headset that is so overpriced for its quality.

Any ideas?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

get drummer isolation headphones and plop zalman mics onto them so you can't hear each other irl at all

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I have very different reasons for wanting to hear solutions to your problem, but I'm also interested in whatever solution you reach.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
EA delisting some games on April 28:

Battlefield Bad Company
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Battlefield 1943
Mirror’s Edge

Online services for all 4 are shutting down on December 8th.

https://www.polygon.com/23650306/battlefield-bad-company-1943-servers-mirrors-edge-offline

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Illusive Man posted:

Battlefield Bad Company
Battlefield 1943
Mirror’s Edge

https://www.polygon.com/23650306/battlefield-bad-company-1943-servers-mirrors-edge-offline

if anyone wants to jump in for some bad company 2 this weekend shoot me a message @ cubivore, it's the most fun i ever had with a multiplayer fps game and i'd love to send it off with some fun times

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
wow bf1943 still gets loads of players too. I mean not as much as modern titles but I have always been able to find full lobbies every time I have ever played

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I took vacation this week because kids are off for spring break but they're over at the grandparents today so I could get some quality couch gaming in!

For some reason my TV turned cinema mode on on the xbox input and it has weird pixels when you move anything onscreen, so if that crops up for anyone be sure to check that first

Also trying out AssCreed Odyssey, it's pretty good! The last AssCreed I tried was Origins and I didn't like that one but this one seems a little better with the controls and menus seeming more streamlined. I'm sure once I collect 18 million identical weapons it will be annoying again though.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Lol EA doesn’t know what the gently caress they’re doing

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1638268889657376768?s=61&t=HOGPAau1bu440W3jZ4WoUw

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It will be funny if the thing that finally kills live service gaming is the execs freaking out about how much it costs to keep the servers going

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cool thanks!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://twitter.com/gamepasscounter/status/1638261995022569475?s=20

Nice! Game pass delivers once more.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

It will be funny if the thing that finally kills live service gaming is the execs freaking out about how much it costs to keep the servers going
Why would they do that if they can continue doing what they've been doing for years, that is turning off servers (except even sooner) so you need to move on to the sequel?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The Illusive Man posted:

Battlefield Bad Company
Battlefield 1943
Mirror’s Edge

What a bummer. I knew they were going to get shut down eventually because EA. I have all the achievements for 1943 but am missing some for both Bad Company games. I'll have to revisit them soon.

The campaign for Bad Company 2 is really good; my favorite campaign in the series next to Hardline. 4 had a decent one too.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

priznat posted:

Hm does anyone know if Dead Cells doesn’t support cloud save syncing or if I mucked something up? My SX and PC saves are not aligned and I need my unlocked looooot

It looks like Dead Cells and Dead Cells (Windows) are two separate games (with separate achievement lists) so that usually means no cross-save/play anywhere unfortunately

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Fanatic posted:

It looks like Dead Cells and Dead Cells (Windows) are two separate games (with separate achievement lists) so that usually means no cross-save/play anywhere unfortunately

God dammit Microsoft is so close to having this amazing Xbox+PC ecosystem but at the last mile they decided ‘eh let the developers choose’. If you built a game for Windows and Xbox they should be able to share saves. Whether or not it’s a ‘Play Anywhere’ title should have no bearing on this :argh:

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

video game

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Turdfuzz posted:

video game

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i love millennial humor
the most honest form of humor

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Skeezy posted:

I’m fine with my 1080 really truly.

When I upgrade, and I will, I want to just do a big upgrade to the best I can get. I think that’s my hangup, I don’t want to get a bad TV or something.

I should probably just get a C1 or something and call it a day.

What you’re doing is the 2023 equivalent to hooking up an Xbox 360 to a Shrek combination TV/VCR, via composite.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Escape Goat posted:

What you’re doing is the 2023 equivalent to hooking up an Xbox 360 to a Shrek combination TV/VCR, via composite.

When I was a broke college kid I had my 360 hooked up to a big loving CRT. I have no regrets and neither should OP lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Escape Goat posted:

I play my xbox on a 30" 720p tv, what is that the equivalent to