Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Google Bard is now in open[1] access.

[1] Users[2] must sign up for the waitlist and wait an unspecific amount of time.
[2] Only some users, in some countries.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Okay maybe the funniest possible outcome is specifically because of treating image and text scrapings as bypassing copyright, it makes it effortless to train your own AI on scraping another AI's output and then sell yours at a fraction of the price, but then your competitor pays that once and trains their AI on it...

Realistically, how much sample input and output from an optimized model do you need to train another LLM to be 95% it's equal? I actually have the Alpaca Lora installed on my local LLaMA instance and it's neat, but nowhere close to even non-GPT4 ChatGPT.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Realistically, how much sample input and output from an optimized model do you need to train another LLM to be 95% it's equal? I actually have the Alpaca Lora installed on my local LLaMA instance and it's neat, but nowhere close to even non-GPT4 ChatGPT.

At this point, your guess is as good as anyone else's.

The Alpaca results are impressive because they were obtained on the 7B LLaMA, using 52Kb of scrapped data. Both of these numbers are ridiculously small, and are showing that conventional wisdom with regards to required model sizes, fine-tuning dataset sizes, etc. don't seem to apply here. It's going to take a while for the dust to settle and new rules of thumb to be established.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 21, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did I miss something or did no one really consider the possibility of their AI being used to train someone else's AI and then being undercut?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did I miss something or did no one really consider the possibility of their AI being used to train someone else's AI and then being undercut?

It was considered, but the general (erroneous) consensus was that this would require millions upon millions of queries to the "source" AI, and so this could be prevented at the API throttling level.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speedrunning cleanroom AI duplication. :allears:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.adobe.com/sensei/generative-ai/firefly.html
Adobe's AI generator announced and stands out by having a dataset comprised entirely of public domain and Adobe owned/licensed works.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Smart, a lot of Adobes bread and butter is artists. Its not like they are beloved by them already,

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Boris Galerkin posted:

[1] Users[2] must sign up for the waitlist and wait an unspecific amount of time.

I signed up, 'cause why the hell not.

I'm not sure if they write a different poem for each sign up.

quote:

May your day be bright,
Your mood be light,
And your heart be filled with delight.
~ Bard

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
https://twitter.com/saeeddicaprio/status/1638248160597364736?s=46&t=VqGDTpMBvtmBLtOHIUgZdw

lol isn't this based on that AI where some google ethics dude was convinced was sentient?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is like complaining that it's difficult to shoot a bird with a hammer.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is like complaining that it's difficult to shoot a bird with a hammer.

I asked Bard “is it difficult to shoot a bird with a hammer?” and it says

quote:

It is very difficult to shoot a bird with a hammer. A hammer is not a weapon and is not designed to be used to shoot birds. It is a tool that is used for a variety of purposes, such as driving nails and breaking things. If you try to shoot a bird with a hammer, you are likely to miss and injure the bird. You could also damage the hammer or yourself. It is important to use the right tool for the job and to use it safely.

Here are some reasons why it is difficult to shoot a bird with a hammer:

* A hammer is not a weapon. It is a tool that is not designed to be used to shoot things.
* A hammer is not accurate. It is difficult to aim a hammer and hit a small target like a bird.
* A hammer is not powerful. It would not be able to kill a bird with a single blow.
* A hammer is not safe. It is dangerous to use a hammer to shoot things. You could easily injure yourself or the bird.

If you are interested in shooting birds, you should use a proper weapon, such as a shotgun or a rifle. These weapons are designed to be used to shoot things and are much more accurate and powerful than a hammer.

So there you have it. It’s difficult to do so, but also a hammer wouldn’t be able to kill a bird, and it’s hard to aim so you’ll miss and injure the bird.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I asked Bard “is it difficult to shoot a bird with a hammer?” and it says

So there you have it. It’s difficult to do so, but also a hammer wouldn’t be able to kill a bird, and it’s hard to aim so you’ll miss and injure the bird.
More worryingly, Bard thinks you might damage the hammer. :ohdear:

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Someone must have let it read the Aliexpress thread.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Playing with Bard for a few minutes, definitely not impressed. The Bing one has given me better results with fewer restrictions and feels more trustworthy with the way it sources. I have managed to get some better results with Bard on getting obscure movie and TV recommendations when being very prescriptive, though, so that's something.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Inferior Third Season posted:

More worryingly, Bard thinks you might damage the hammer. :ohdear:

Let's get Bard to talk about weapon durability

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Electric Phantasm posted:

Let's get Bard to talk about weapon durability

Be sure to specify which edition you're playing.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Bing one sucks for technical questions that you can’t find with Bing/Google trivially, it just repeats the top Bing answers slightly reworded (and patently wrong) then links to them.

It’s worse than normal Bing because you need to wait for that stupid pretend typing bullshit and you get only one wrong answer or right answer to the wrong question). I like to eliminate an entire page of wrong or irrelevant links on a guess, thanks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Playing with Bard for a few minutes, definitely not impressed. The Bing one has given me better results with fewer restrictions and feels more trustworthy with the way it sources. I have managed to get some better results with Bard on getting obscure movie and TV recommendations when being very prescriptive, though, so that's something.

The citations feature for Bing model is an underrated superpower. It makes various multitrack drifting manoeuvres like with “usefully wrong answers” much more tolerable.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

roffles posted:

https://twitter.com/saeeddicaprio/status/1638248160597364736?s=46&t=VqGDTpMBvtmBLtOHIUgZdw

lol isn't this based on that AI where some google ethics dude was convinced was sentient?

That's really embarrassing. This is from a 13B version of Alpaca running on my desktop.

edit: Llama will help you murder that bird

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 22, 2023

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
There's a fun one you can do that Bard fails miserably at and ChatGPT (sometimes) gets right:

"If I have five bananas and you take away three apples, how many bananas do I have left?"

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

At least it's confident.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I mean at least the math in terms of numbers is right, I guess.

E:

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 22, 2023

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Boris Galerkin posted:

Because I pay for google one, I got sent an email to join, and then when I went to sign up it said "whoops you're not in a country that supports this" so get you're loving lines straight google.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If we ever cross the boundary of AI no longer being confidently incorrect about things that are trivially solvable, I may actually begin to worry. Seems we're a ways from that point.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

PT6A posted:

If we ever cross the boundary of AI no longer being confidently incorrect about things that are trivially solvable, I may actually begin to worry. Seems we're a ways from that point.

Being confidently incorrect and ignore facts when corrected makes it far more like real people than something that is actually correct and/or capable of being corrected.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Being confidently incorrect and ignore facts when corrected makes it far more like real people than something that is actually correct and/or capable of being corrected.

AI can successfully imitate a GOP party member... :shepface:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

At least it's confident.

Come Mr. TALL-E man, TALL-E me banana

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also funny thing that at this point it doesn't seem like there's much meaningful difference between the 'best' AI generators on the market and anything else, even if they're not all using each other to train.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Remulak posted:

It’s worse than normal Bing because you need to wait for that stupid pretend typing bullshit
what's even funnier is it's not pretend, it's streaming the tokens in real time, that's really how long it takes to compute a simple sentence :shepface:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ruffian Price posted:

what's even funnier is it's not pretend, it's streaming the tokens in real time, that's really how long it takes to compute a simple sentence :shepface:

Yeah, that's the thing, still doesn't feel like this is near being able to scale anytime soon. I'm assuming Microsoft and Google are just taking losses on it at the moment until it gets to the point where it is actually profitable at scale.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Oh for sure. chatGPTs $20 a month is purely a trial to see who will pay. And when they dropped the API price it was just too stay competitive.

chatGPT has had to limit tokens multiple times already, even for the paying people. On Tuesday the service was offline for most of it.

They are hemorrhaging investment money.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, that's the thing, still doesn't feel like this is near being able to scale anytime soon. I'm assuming Microsoft and Google are just taking losses on it at the moment until it gets to the point where it is actually profitable at scale.

Microsoft was reported rationing GPUs for machine learning teams eventually to make it possible to launch BIng preview while maintaining their Azure contracts. Proper scalability here will need hardware availability (in a more broad sense than Nvidia) improvements on the order of at least an order of magnitude.

Mega Comrade posted:

They are hemorrhaging investment money.

OpenAI's current pricing on the enterprise APIs is a loss-leader, and it would need to be at least a few times more expensive on some of the more popular line items to just balance out the equipment/operating costs if I had to guess. In true commitment to an open and Socractic approach to AI, OpenAI is trying to lock in as much as possible, being first a heating-up market with a single-digit number of total possible participants.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Didn't Microsoft routinely do this in the 90s? Slash prices and burn through tons of cash just in an attempt to capture market and kill competition before raising prices after?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Didn't Microsoft routinely do this in the 90s? Slash prices and burn through tons of cash just in an attempt to capture market and kill competition before raising prices after?

Absolutely. Basically every Microsoft product you can think of from the time that’s still around today did that in one way or another.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
and Microsoft a company that probably can figure out how to scale it, and make it profitable if they can get it working reliably in their 365 suite. There's plenty of very generic documents and emails that people write up everyday in offices. If they can get it working right it can be a legit time saver, and that's something companies will pay for.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Wonder how much they will charge and make a profit,I doubt they can just slap it into their existing pricing model and be fine with capturing new customers. 365 already owns the majority of the market.

Didn't Microsoft say every bing AI search costs 10x that of a traditional one? The tokens required for emails and documents are gonna be larger than most simple web searches.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Wonder how much they will charge and make a profit,I doubt they can just slap it into their existing pricing model and be fine with capturing new customers. 365 already owns the majority of the market.

Didn't Microsoft say every bing AI search costs 10x that of a traditional one? The tokens required for emails and documents are gonna be larger than most simple web searches.

Microsoft is suggesting it'll be a paid addon to the existing 365 subscription costs: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/03/microsoft-365s-ai-powered-copilot-is-like-an-omniscient-version-of-clippy/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dr_rat posted:

and Microsoft a company that probably can figure out how to scale it, and make it profitable if they can get it working reliably in their 365 suite. There's plenty of very generic documents and emails that people write up everyday in offices. If they can get it working right it can be a legit time saver, and that's something companies will pay for.

Additional costs to running the 365 suite service is arguably not the thing they want to scale unless they have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, and that makes sense. With owning the majority of the market, if they can get it working as advertised I can see quite a bit of buy in. Like honestly surprisingly sensible approach from Microsoft.

Googles approach seems more out of desperation and not wanting to be left behind. As has been mentioned using it for search is expensive, like unless they can somehow figure out a way to make it a hell of a lot more efficient -as well as accurate- I just don't see how they can make cash off it based off the minimal amount they get via ads from an individual search.