Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

lobsterminator posted:

A lot of people seemed to have forgotten that image manipulation existed before deep fake or AI.

Like if there is some photo where someones face has been replaced with another person, someone will comment "that's not real, that AI."

It's pedantic, but it just feels like people assume humanity is so helpless that nothing is possible without a filter in an app or an AI tool.

Are you seriously telling me that the Soviet Union didn't have AI technology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Here in America you have Fake News but in Soviet Russia News Fakes you!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I have a colleague who kept bragging about never being sick, who has now gotten sick multiple times this winter.
When I offhandedly commented 'oh, you're still sick? alright' to him after asking if he was at the office, he replied back 'I'm not sick, I'm just contagious.'

And christ almighty you thin skinned petty loving idiot. I already knew he was one of those 'I cannot admit any fault to my character' people, but loving hell.
I dunno why it annoys me as much as it does. " I'm not sick (because I feel that reflects poorly on me, by my own arbitrary standards), I'm just ... notsick-sick. "

(Yes he's also one of those 'do we really need vaccines? I haven't gotten sick lately' idiots.)
I'd argue that 'recovering from symptoms, but still potentially contagious' solidly fits under the sick umbrella. You're sick until you're not anymore.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He seems lame, I hate him too. Tell him I said that

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"I wish I could leave zero stars" in reviews. It's such a brain melting cliche. Find another way to convey your dislike of something.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People who match speed while parallel or worse, in your blind spot

This isn’t New York, there is room, get offffff

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"I wish I could leave zero stars" in reviews. It's such a brain melting cliche. Find another way to convey your dislike of something.

Somebody here went apoplectic about people leaving three star ratings on threads. "One, of course. Five, great. Two or four, I get it. BUT THREE? WHAT KIND OF MAN ARE YOU?"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well yeah, if it was New York they wouldn't be doing that. Because either they're an idiot, and wouldn't be able to handle driving in New York, or they're an rear end in a top hat, and wouldn't dare playing stupid games where there might be a chance of consequences.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Animal-Mother posted:

Somebody here went apoplectic about people leaving three star ratings on threads. "One, of course. Five, great. Two or four, I get it. BUT THREE? WHAT KIND OF MAN ARE YOU?"
I have repeatedly voted 3 on threads while viewing in mobile browser and hitting the rating when aiming for the subforum link at the bottom of the page :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

I have repeatedly voted 3 on threads while viewing in mobile browser and hitting the rating when aiming for the subforum link at the bottom of the page :(
And the Awful app, at least, doesn't make it much easier to avoid fat-fingering the vote. :(

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People who do this by mistake are one thing, people who do this on purpose just to gently caress you off are another thing.

Which I guess is my latest pet peeve, dickhead drivers. Not bad drivers, everyone makes mistakes and nobody’s as good a driver as they think they are, but drivers who are basically competent, know the right thing to do, and choose to be assholes anyway.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ravel's Bolero. It's OK for the first five minutes or so, but it's just the same sequence repeated over and over and over and over again.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Ravel's Bolero. It's OK for the first five minutes or so, but it's just the same sequence repeated over and over and over and over again.

:thejoke:

edit: sorry, now that I do some more research I realize the version of the story as I understood it is slightly skewed.

Ravel posted:

“I am particularly desirous there should be no misunderstanding about this work. It constitutes an experiment in a very special and limited direction and should not be suspected of aiming at achieving other or more than it actually does.”

I had always been told he had done it as a joke, or some commentary on the banality of successful music.

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Mar 23, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgtEKTfAPLQ

There's a short film about one of the percussionists in Bolero and how boring it must be for them. It's pretty funny (the hardcoded subs are the director's comments).

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
New mobile game peeve, though not quite as enraging as the previous one.
Mute buttons that are the same color as the background. I'm still having to sit through your ad, why don't you want me turning off the sound? :argh:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Pet peeve: People who don't know what they're doing when doing something thousands of people do a day and a person has to deal with said thousand people. In this case, I recently went on a trip to Vegas. I very rarely fly, and when it came time to check my luggage, I forgot that they just needed my ID. Everyone in front of me did this with no issue, then my dumbass shows up, and he stares and me, holding his hand out. And I say, "Oh, um, wait -- do you need to scan my ticket?"

Dude is super annoyed and says, "Are you checking in your luggage?"

"Um, yes. I mean, unless I don't have to."

Dude is getting even more annoyed.

"If you're checking in your luggage, you do it here."

"Great! Um, but... wait, so, do you need... my ticket?"

Incredibly condescendingly. "No, I just need your ID."

He then asked me for my debit card and charged me a fee even though actually the guy who bought the tickets is in like some special club where those fees are omitted.

Anyway, that dude was kind of a dick, but I get it. I am a cashier. Know what you're supposed to do before holding up the line because you're a dumbass and the employee is a passive aggressive dick. Everyone loses.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Pomme de Terror posted:

New mobile game peeve, though not quite as enraging as the previous one.
Mute buttons that are the same color as the background. I'm still having to sit through your ad, why don't you want me turning off the sound? :argh:

Related, apps that allow ads to override silent mode. Whats the bloody point if apps can just ignore it anyway?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Might be a bit more than a pet peeve, but: when people misspell "foreign" words (especially names) for a joke. Ha, funny language, not like the serious American one.

I've no problem with misspeling words in one's own language, since I guess they're "mine"/"yours" to use? For an example on the weight of the problem, I've seen many posts misspeling the "Ghost of Tsushima" game, like "Sushighost" or something. I don't know why, but it bothers me. M. Shyamalan's name is another obvious example of a "funny" name to misspel.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bargearse posted:

People who do this by mistake are one thing, people who do this on purpose just to gently caress you off are another thing.

Which I guess is my latest pet peeve, dickhead drivers. Not bad drivers, everyone makes mistakes and nobody’s as good a driver as they think they are, but drivers who are basically competent, know the right thing to do, and choose to be assholes anyway.

People do this all the time where I live & I absolutely hate it. Speeding up to prevent merging, tailgating, assholes taking wide swings into traffic without looking...it's infuriating. By the same token, I say "gently caress it" & will absolutely push my way in when some rear end in a top hat tries to block me, because (A) I have a dashcam & (B) they can eat poo poo, I know they're too afraid to hit my old beater especially when their car looks spotless/pristine. I'll gladly use their vanity & bullshit against them.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgtEKTfAPLQ

There's a short film about one of the percussionists in Bolero and how boring it must be for them. It's pretty funny (the hardcoded subs are the director's comments).

My pet peeve is people making a short film based on my various mundane expressions while I'm just trying to do my job.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Both my parents come from massive families so now I have like fifty cousins.

I'm close with three of them.

But my mother keeps namedropping everyone. My cousin Little Raimond moved to Miami? Brother of Big Raimond? I'm sorry but I have no idea who these people are maman, and what kind of psycho moves from Germany to fuggen Florida??

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My ma does that as well. But she'll refer to everyone via some nickname or by also naming somebody they're related to, usually someone I don't know either. She'll call me and tell me that someone just died and I'll ask who that is and she'll give me a long list of nicknames and if that doesn't ring a bell maybe mention that I met this person 15 years ago at some family functions and if I interrogate her long enough I'll find out that this person's grandmother was my great-grandmothers aunt by marriage or something like that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Linus from Linus Tech Tips.

I don't really have a reason why; I just don't really like him and I'm sick of seeing him and hearing about him. Anthony and the other guys who work for LTT are fine in my book, but I'd rather never see Linus' face in my Youtube recommends again.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Loading screens that just keep loading for eternity. How loving hard is it to code in something that will say, "Hey actually nothing is being loaded / there's an infinite loop thing going on here / zeno's paradox"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Szurumbur posted:

Might be a bit more than a pet peeve, but: when people misspell "foreign" words (especially names) for a joke. Ha, funny language, not like the serious American one.

I've no problem with misspeling words in one's own language, since I guess they're "mine"/"yours" to use? For an example on the weight of the problem, I've seen many posts misspeling the "Ghost of Tsushima" game, like "Sushighost" or something. I don't know why, but it bothers me. M. Shyamalan's name is another obvious example of a "funny" name to misspel.

I will never ever understand how people find this funny. All it does is make the misspeller/mispronouncer seem like an ignorant at best, racist at worst, dickhead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

YeahTubaMike posted:

I will never ever understand how people find this funny. All it does is make the misspeller/mispronouncer seem like an ignorant at best, racist at worst, dickhead.

Idk, loving nobody except family pronounces either me or my wife's name correctly, and on top of that we made the accursed mistake of naming one of our daughters Анастасия. It's after a relative, but nope, everybody thinks it's from the long-dead princess/off-brand disney cartoon. Said cartoon includes calling her "Anya." People will try to be nice by stopping, clearing their throats, apologizing, and terribly mispronouncing all of our names. That poo poo is insulting. The diminutive of Анастасия is loving Nastya. Anya is from a different name. That is how we refer to her ourselves, and for reals, we've all got english names we go by for everyone who isn't us. Please refer to us as Tevye the Dancing Jew from that One Musical and Sophie Badguyska, Butcher of Kiev, if you like rather than butchering our names "to be polite."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Or Miss Джексон if you're Nastya

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't know why it bothers me so much, but I see little comments all the time on, say, Reddit/Instagram/Imgur posts that include a burger that say:

"Big burgers should be WIDER, not TALLER!"

But..it doesn't work like that! If the burger is big primarily because it's a tall patty of meat? Then yeah, sure, you could flatten it out for a wider burger if you were less concerned about a doneness level below medium well.

But most big burgers are tall because of TOPPINGS. If I want lettuce, onion, tomato, pickle, a drizzle of mayo, a friend egg, and maybe even a fuckin' onion ring on there...I'm going to want those things across the whole burger, so making the patty wider doesn't really help that much.

Is it annoying that it might fall apart? Yes, but I know that going in. That's on me. If you don't want a big, TALL, burger, it's on YOU to not order it with so many things.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
This is very specific to my day, but didn't seem like it justified going into the lovely day thread, so y'all get it.
When I have had an appointment set up for 2 weeks and then I go in to said appointment and the systems to actually do anything are all down (not their phones or the check-in computers, but the ability to actually get any work done is a no-go) and they don't let you know that in advance. Just give me a call or text dammit, you clearly have my number since you texted to remind me about the appointment yesterday :argh:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I swear to God everyone is right up my rear end in the kitchen until moments before I serve dinner, when suddenly they're upstairs or outside.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know why it bothers me so much, but I see little comments all the time on, say, Reddit/Instagram/Imgur posts that include a burger that say:

"Tall burgers are stupid, there's no way I can fit my mouth around it."

Okay, so don't? There's no requirement to bite the entire height all at once.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

DrBouvenstein posted:

But..it doesn't work like that! If the burger is big primarily because it's a tall patty of meat? Then yeah, sure, you could flatten it out for a wider burger if you were less concerned about a doneness level below medium well.

But most big burgers are tall because of TOPPINGS. If I want lettuce, onion, tomato, pickle, a drizzle of mayo, a friend egg, and maybe even a fuckin' onion ring on there...I'm going to want those things across the whole burger, so making the patty wider doesn't really help that much.

Is it annoying that it might fall apart? Yes, but I know that going in. That's on me. If you don't want a big, TALL, burger, it's on YOU to not order it with so many things.

1. I also want an egg friend.

2. Of course making the burger wider allows it to hold things better. You might also need a wider bun, but that's all part of the algebra anyway. More wider = more stuff.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I don't like tall burgers because I like the bread, meat, etc. to be mixed when I bite into it, not layered like a multi-course fancy meal.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'm required to be at this all hands for work and they're making us do icebreaker games. Stop doing icebreaker games. Noone likes them

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's not the dimensions but poor assembly of the burger. There used to be a franchise in Melbourne called Burger Edge that had the best constructed burgers I've ever seen. At most, there would be some sauce leakage, but all the toppings stayed inside the burger so you could eat it with one hand.

If you can't eat it with one hand while playing cards, it shouldn't be legal to call it a burger, or for that matter, a sandwich. Find another name for your portable mess.

It's my insane unpopular opinion that for something to be legally described as a sandwich, it needs to be eaten by the sitting Earl of Sandwich whilst playing cards, without causing mess.

Obviously we'd need some kind of scroll or seal or whatnot to confirm authenticity, but we could figure that out later.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

On the subject of burgers: does anyone even like brioche? It's loving disgusting. And yet it's almost impossible to find a burger that uses normal bread any more. I'd even eat the garbage the fast food chains use ahead of brioche, if only their burgers weren't terrible for a dozen other reasons. Oh, and anyone who makes a big point of "it's not brioche, it's a milk bun" is even worse, because you know the difference is imperceptible.

Even the fish and chip shop I went to recently had loving brioche burgers! It's a plague.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't want a rich greasy bun on my burger either. Regular bun for me. Put the delicious fatty stuff between the bread.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The entire point of the bread is to protect your hands from the greasy stuff.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
On that subject, places that use flour-dusted buns! Thanks, now my hands are coated in a claggy, doughy mess.
Just give me a plain, toasted bun please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

I'm required to be at this all hands for work and they're making us do icebreaker games. Stop doing icebreaker games. Noone likes them

Ugh yeah.
A lot of people had to travel in in the morning, had a loong rear end day of group planning and etc, everyone was ready to leave, poo poo finally wrapped up.
Then as people were about to leave, one of the Agile Coaches decided that this was time to have The Ice Breaker, as described in The Program and god as her witness was she going to power through with it.

Just admit that you forgot to do it at the start, nobody is going to care that you forgot one of The Steps in The Program.
(But then again, these Agile coaches are 100% about sticking to idealized rules and patronizing platitudes that don't actually apply to reality. So it was pretty fitting on the whole.)