Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Any game where you can get permanent stat boosts from character creation, but it doesn't provide any context for them. (Aka, almost any game where character creation isn't 100% cosmetic. )
Bonus mana? Extra damage? Extra movement speed? Great! But is +5 a lot, or a little? Does it actually matter / will it get eclipsed by an early item, or am I going to be annoyed for the rest of the game that I didn't select a different option?

It's especially an issue when the game doesn't show total stats either, atleast then I'd know how much of an improvement +5 is. It could be anywhere from a notable increase to what amounts to a rounding error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hel posted:

What are you trying to say here? What does doorknobs have to do with hinges? But yeah, a lot of games don't have visible hinges on hinged doors both because it's a tiny useless graphic and because making it hinge both ways is so much easier both from a dev and player perspective.

I'm saying that unless the game is really detailed like later Yakuza games or RDR2 you're not seeing the character grab and turn a doorknob to open a door most of the time.

https://i.imgur.com/KM430hL.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ZEgpPRV.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/5UW22Yk.mp4

So I'm surprised that they even bother putting doorknobs on them instead of not bothering in the first place.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Actually Jesse is using her psychic powers to turn the doorknob so it's actually very important.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I feel like there's untapped potential for realistic doors in survival horror. You can be slowed down for half a second by turning the doorknob, or you can try to kick it open. But be careful, if it opens towards you, you'll lose even more valuable time hopping around clutching your aching foot!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Captain Hygiene posted:

I feel like there's untapped potential for realistic doors in survival horror. You can be slowed down for half a second by turning the doorknob, or you can try to kick it open. But be careful, if it opens towards you, you'll lose even more valuable time hopping around clutching your aching foot!

Phasmophobia has hinged doors that absolutely screw people over when they try to open it the wrong way during a hunt. It's glorious and more horror games need to do it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Call of Cthulu DCOTE had that great sequence where you had to run from a mob, bolting doors behind you and shoving furniture in front of them. I don't think I've ever been as panicked in a game.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if the Deus Ex HR peeps are willing to crunch on air vent covers opening and closing right, they should also do doors rights.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RE4 vr has you turn the doorknob and then push the door open and it's pretty neat to poke your head and gun out

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I have to admit, omnidirectional doors frequently bug the poo poo out of me.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Call of Cthulu DCOTE had that great sequence where you had to run from a mob, bolting doors behind you and shoving furniture in front of them. I don't think I've ever been as panicked in a game.

Isn't the building on fire for the sequence too?

Anyway yeah it was terrifying.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Metroid Prime Remastered is such a good remaster that the tiniest differences bother me instead.

When you try to charge the Power Beam, it fires two or three shots before actually charging, while in the original it would only fire one. Is this worse? No, it's debatably better, but I remember Metroid Prime so well that the unexpected difference is REALLY noticeable!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

John Murdoch posted:

Omnidirectional doors my rear end. Unless the door opens like an old lamborghini it's saloon doors.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Which are pretty common in gastro industry

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Cleretic posted:

Metroid Prime Remastered is such a good remaster that the tiniest differences bother me instead.

When you try to charge the Power Beam, it fires two or three shots before actually charging, while in the original it would only fire one. Is this worse? No, it's debatably better, but I remember Metroid Prime so well that the unexpected difference is REALLY noticeable!

This has been bugging me too. It’s especially annoying on the wave beam, which fires two shots with its slower fire rate before charging. Sometimes I just want to charge up right away!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

In RE2, there's a door that Sherry unlocks and then relocks from the other side, using a key both times. Only one side of the door appears to have a keyhole

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Less annoyed by it and just-now that I've actually noticed how weird they are- mildly shocked that they go to the trouble.

That said, I'm pretty sure the doors in Metroid Prime Remastered are from 3/Corruption, they look too advanced for the surrounding area. I know they're been changed from the original's look.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Little thing dragging down the RE4 remake is that I thought it was out today but it's actually out Thursday :negative:

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Arrath posted:

Isn't the building on fire for the sequence too?

No, I don't think so, just the mob, their axes, and those WAY to slow cupboards you need to push.

Still, great sequence

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

In RE2, there's a door that Sherry unlocks and then relocks from the other side, using a key both times. Only one side of the door appears to have a keyhole

Sherry really freaked me out in the remake. There's something about her character model that just really triggers the uncanny valley in me

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Vic posted:

Omnidirectional doors my rear end. Unless the door opens like an old lamborghini it's saloon doors.

This but for real in a video game

https://twitter.com/SloanPerry/status/778956895604314114?t=E3Ul39VtuF8w1zdFUugZCg&s=19

gently caress kicking a door in, I'm going to activate CHIM and open this pull door like it's a storage unit :science:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

Sherry really freaked me out in the remake. There's something about her character model that just really triggers the uncanny valley in me

The faces in the game get pretty uncanny valley (Claire in particular appears to be a different age depending on the cutscene). The lighting often does them no favours there. The game still looks very good

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

bawk posted:

This but for real in a video game

https://twitter.com/SloanPerry/status/778956895604314114?t=E3Ul39VtuF8w1zdFUugZCg&s=19

gently caress kicking a door in, I'm going to activate CHIM and open this pull door like it's a storage unit :science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwdYUIQzu-o

Never show weakness.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked Obra Dinn back up and have almost finished it but im calling shenanigans on the chapter The Calling

mermaids are terrible beasts and not enemy attackers. I resorted to Google because I knew that was my missing Russian, the other guy was the Irish seaman, and I was pretty sure that I had the Chinese topman right. I even had the cause of death right for all three I was just attributing it to an enemy attacker and not a terrible beast

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Len posted:

I picked Obra Dinn back up and have almost finished it but im calling shenanigans on the chapter The Calling

the Irish seaman

buddy

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Super Robot Wars 30 is too god drat long. Like, these games tend to be long; but usually just long enough that by the time you start to feel burnt out on them, you hit the climax as all the stories coalesce and it's over. But because of the weird new mission structure of 30, the plotlines feel more walled off than ever, the missions are largely unrelated to the overarching storyline except for the tiny handful of points where someone points out that the bad guys are responsible for it all; and everything just feels like it's floating off on its own waiting for you to do it. The past few games had like 50-60 missions or so. On this playthrough of 30, I've done over 170 and that's without farming any of the repeatable things. I'm pretty sure, with all of the DLC, it's going to end up being over 200 missions done by the end.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

But the game is endless entertainment!

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
FFX-2 (Steam Remaster): Game crashes when I try to save. I've played the opening three times (normal, after Verify File Integrity, running Steam as Admin) and nope, it shits itself.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Meowywitch posted:

But the game is endless entertainment!

I'm starting to wish it had permadeath like old Fire Emblem games so I could send every cast member of Majestic Prince out and never have to read their dialogue ever again.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Started playing THE ASCENT and for a twinstick shooter it looks absolutely fantastic, the Cyberpunk setting is so well realised.

The mission structure etc is a bit of a letdown though, I picked up a LVL2 mission to go pick up some Steroids for a bodybuilder, and the door you have to go through to enter the area the mission points you towards only unlocks at a later level. You can 'hack' the door and it opens, but you are not allowed to go through it. Also right next to the non-working level door there are LVL16 enemies who will demolish you if you are there as a new player... Seems like there's a lack of polish in the gameplay even if the visuals are top quality.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Len posted:

The little thing dragging Obra Dinn down is that I can't wipe my brain of it and play it for the first time again. :colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Read After Burning posted:

The little thing dragging Obra Dinn down is that I can't wipe my brain of it and play it for the first time again. :colbert:

hell same

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Started playing THE ASCENT and for a twinstick shooter it looks absolutely fantastic, the Cyberpunk setting is so well realised.

The mission structure etc is a bit of a letdown though, I picked up a LVL2 mission to go pick up some Steroids for a bodybuilder, and the door you have to go through to enter the area the mission points you towards only unlocks at a later level. You can 'hack' the door and it opens, but you are not allowed to go through it. Also right next to the non-working level door there are LVL16 enemies who will demolish you if you are there as a new player... Seems like there's a lack of polish in the gameplay even if the visuals are top quality.

Yeah, between this and the mission where the required enemies didn't spawn, I bounced off the Ascent pretty quickly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got past a really annoying boss in Shadow of Rome who is annoying because she can combo you from afar with a flaming bow and also the boss has a billion vultures that run interference and are REALLY annoying to deal with.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Read After Burning posted:

It's a 10/10 game I can never play again. I got the credits to roll last night

I'm not sure if I want him to make a sequel game where you get to identify more deaths but if he did I want the ability to just trigger a memory from the book without having to walk around the area

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah, it does that a couple of times where it gives you a side mission that you can't do yet. Also the game world is obnoxiously big and takes forever to get anywhere.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

If you loved Obra Dinn, may I humbly recommend Case of the Golden Idol? It's the only other mystery game that's scratched the same itch.

As for thread content: the pistoleer class in The Light Brigade is great in theory, but it has some downsides that I don't feel like are balanced out by the class features. On the upside it feels cool as hell and reloading is faster than any other class. On the downside, you only have two item slots, and the short range of your pistols forces you to get a lot closer and expose yourself to a lot more enemy fire than is wise or reasonable in such an unforgiving rogue-like.

I feel like it could work great if you were rewarded for adopting the aggressive (and otherwise delightful) play style it seems to push you towards with greater burst damage or a shield or *something*

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lunar Suite posted:

FFX-2 (Steam Remaster): Game crashes when I try to save. I've played the opening three times (normal, after Verify File Integrity, running Steam as Admin) and nope, it shits itself.

Try turning off OneDrive - FFXIII-2 has that issue, maybe it will work for X-2 as well?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

Little thing dragging down the RE4 remake is that I thought it was out today but it's actually out Thursday :negative:

Ffffuuuuuccccckkkkkkk it just says the 23rd on the Xbox store page but it's actually out tomorrow :qq:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I finally got the countdown timer for it yesterday, it technically does unlock for me today but too late for me to actually want to play it. I'm old and tired nowadays, gosh dang it :arghfist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Riatsala posted:

If you loved Obra Dinn, may I humbly recommend Case of the Golden Idol? It's the only other mystery game that's scratched the same itch.

I would definitely like to play it, but it needs to come to Switch or PS4 first! Fingers crossed...