Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Is Mr. Bridge Ornament a common Japanese thing? I keep seeing a similar character pop up in an anime i'm watching. It might just be an homage to Chako though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Previously on Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, Commander was attacked!

This time, the consequences of said attack begin to creep in...

01/23/2012 - Everyone saw this coming

For anyone who has not encountered the phenomena of unnecessary and confusing bishifacation in their travels, may I direct you to Club Kawaii. Or, you know, go browse deviantart for something like :nws:South Park or Ed, Edd, n’ Eddy:nws:. (editor's note: nothing not work safe popped up for me, but it's deviantart, so tread at your own risk)

1/30/2012 - The guest comic you’ve been waiting for

I know it’s a dirty trick to pull something like last week’s comic then leave you all hanging, but when my broest of bros, Emily Smith of Gestalt Comics (go bug your local shop to order some of their stuff in) offered to do a guest strip and I was not going to turn down free stuff from a radcore comicsmith of her caliber. She got tied up with for real professional comic work, and that’s why the strip ended up being a little late, but I think it’s worth the wait.

02/06/2012 - And we’re back

Lookin’ pretty Falcor there, Mr. Fish.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Mead can get up to like 20% ABV but that's still not enough to catch fire. Honey is also flammable, though, so I don't know how that plays in.

That'll be the sugar content, I suppose.

KennyMan666 posted:

Everybody, including strangers, just kinda know that Machiko is forever alone.

Poor Machiko.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

fritz posted:

Barbarian Lord: Draugr
There's another Barbarian Lord installment but it's incomplete and I may or may not post it. The book is still in print and you should all buy it: https://www.amazon.com/Barbarian-Lord-Matt-Smith/dp/0547859066
Thanks for posting! I've ordered a copy of Barbarian Lord from my local shop.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

Kidnapping wrong earthling for an important space spy mission, it's more common than you'd think.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

At least this time there's a bit of a better excuse than "held a suitcase"

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Swan Boy

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Trying to find that Megg, Mogg & Owl comic where Owl gets called slut.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Gotta give credit where it's due: that was some drat fine swan boy.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Adventure by Emei Burell:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"confident and low maintenance" is actually like. the best type of guy

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CheeseThief posted:

Gotta give credit where it's due: that was some drat fine swan boy.

:hmmyes:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fritz posted:

Adventure by Emei Burell:

Did she suddenly develop enormous tits in that bottom panel

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol, that is definitely an angle at which to draw a pose :eyepop:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

some plague rats posted:

Did she suddenly develop enormous tits in that bottom panel

That's her midriff, her back is to the viewer and her legs are off to the left at a shallow angle.

The real art error is that her sleeping bag has mysteriously merged with her jacket, which makes trying to figure out what the gently caress is supposed to be going on with her body much harder.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
ChaCha, Chako

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

e: I really like the little detail of the flat white box under the English/"translated" text
I feel attacked by that detail.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

some plague rats posted:

"confident and low maintenance" is actually like. the best type of guy

Swan Boy's based on the four humors, isn't it? Swan Boy is classic sanguine, Noel is choleric, Rona is melancholic. There's no phlegmatic character though

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Giant Ethicist posted:

I feel attacked by that detail.

Please, I mimic out of love. Chako is one of my favorite things right now and I appreciate you deeply for bringing it into my life.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not sure whether Chako's sister is more or less of a monster. On one hand she's a willing cog for an imperial war machine. On the other hand, Chako definitely would have eaten those cucumbers.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

It seems like they're kind of the opposite of each other. At face value ChaCha is a violent and ruthless warrior but has a hidden heart of gold, and at face value Chako is a carefree nice person but is actually just a ruthless, uncaring monster.

Edit: honestly my favorite Chako punchlines are the one like that Inari drowning one or the one where the rice man's house is on fire where she appears to have a passing interest in the people of her world, but then is actually just thinking about her next meal.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Chako is fantastic

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Phthisis posted:

Please, I mimic out of love. Chako is one of my favorite things right now and I appreciate you deeply for bringing it into my life.

No, no, I didn't mean it in a bad way, haha. I'm working within the limits of my very weak image-manipulation skills after all.

Re Chako and ChaCha, we'll see very quickly that ChaCha is just a very good person - she's 100% a heroic anime protagonist (down to some slightly archaic speech patterns, which makes translation a bit of a bear sometimes). Why is she a slightly-gritty heroic anime protagonist while her sister Chako is a carefree weirdo in a surreal wonderland? We shall see!

Foreshadowing: You might even note that the colors in "Chako" segments are more saturated and the colors in "ChaCha" segments are more desaturated - that's a hint!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

How did I miss this when Branson first posted it? An all time greatest Swan Boy right here.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Why is ChaCha a good person and Chako kind of a monster isn’t a question I’m inclined to ask because sometimes siblings are just very different people

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MokBa posted:

How did I miss this when Branson first posted it? An all time greatest Swan Boy right here.

tag yourself I'm clearly Mean Claire

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

Why is ChaCha a good person and Chako kind of a monster isn’t a question I’m inclined to ask because sometimes siblings are just very different people

This is also true - I was hinting more at their different lived-in genres.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks Branson for the trans rep. :3:

and for making feel like less of a slut

Synthbuttrange has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Mar 22, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vadun posted:

Is Mr. Bridge Ornament a common Japanese thing? I keep seeing a similar character pop up in an anime i'm watching. It might just be an homage to Chako though.

Mr Bridge Ornament is just a bridge ornament.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Synthbuttrange posted:

Mr Bridge Ornament is just a bridge ornament.

It's in the name and everything!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

some plague rats posted:

tag yourself I'm clearly Mean Claire

I want to be Sergio’s older sister but I’m probably actually crapshaw

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im noel

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Imaginaria :unsmith:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

this is such an objectively lame joke. also I laughed out loud at it, embarrassingly, like a cave person of pre-ironic times.

(Hothead Paisan has been an interesting read for me. Very much outside my life experiences in just about every way and it definitely came on strong, but I'm glad I decided to give it shot.)

thank you for loving hothead

No, seriously, I'm glad you're enjoying it! And two of the things I really enjoyed about this when I read it were how DiMassa did a great job of balancing rage/revenge with silly jokes and warm slices of life; and how she absolutely blew apart a lot of my sheltered and priveledged viewpoints back in the 90's.

Anyways, let's continue with

skeleton warrior posted:

Hothead Paisan: Radical Lesbian Terrorist The Adventures of the Lovable Chicken, Issue #7, Part 1

Spoiled for outright racism, and for the violence you expected at a level you may not have.

Next time: Hothead wanders into a pro-life rally!

Hothead Paisan: Radical Lesbian Terrorist, Issue #7, Part 2

The early 1990s were just the worst for nearly every fashion trend. Just the worst.

Next issue: Hothead tries to play normal in a supermarket, and mayhem ensues!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Hothead said they can't troll you if they're dead

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I really wish I could buy a physical copy of translated chako. It's my favorite comic currently being posted.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

I really wish I could buy a physical copy of translated chako. It's my favorite comic currently being posted.

:same:

I would buy an english copy so loving fast.

Hell, I'd even be tempted to import the books and pay Giant Ethicist to white-out and hand letter the whole drat thing.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Demon
Chapter 12.05

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Chako rules and is the only manga in the thread I actually read

But here’s cyelatm which is v different. We are still in the very cutesy adorable era of the comic. (It never stops being cutesy adorable but it does get weirder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MokBa posted:

Chako rules and is the only manga in the thread I actually read

:hai: