Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I appreciate him being intensely based and showing that XPlay video of how incredibly racist games journalism was when it comes to JRPGs for some reason.

Hint: The Great Replacemet conspiracy theory's been around for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I appreciate him being intensely based and showing that XPlay video of how incredibly racist games journalism was when it comes to JRPGs for some reason.

Hint: The Great Replacemet conspiracy theory's been around for a while

Which video is this?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Assuming you mean a video demonstrating Xplay's anti-Japanese bent, I'm guessing this one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Which video is this?

Also, from my perspective, I was watching a compilation of some of his React Andy 'send me videos for a stream' thing with Paige so I do not know what stream that was. It was the one where we learned that Pat never learned the Mimicry skill so everyone sounds like him in his head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve2CSmBo_-U

On mobile so 3:02:50 for the timestamp

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh Woolie's going to be playing FF9?

I watched Vinny play that one awhile back and it really won me over.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm re-watching the Eternal Darkness playthrough.

I forgot that Pat and Woolie have met Uwe Boll. What's that guy up to these days anyway?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://streamable.com/dn81ic

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 21, 2023

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Vandar posted:

I'm re-watching the Eternal Darkness playthrough.

I forgot that Pat and Woolie have met Uwe Boll. What's that guy up to these days anyway?

Mostly doing direct to streaming generic action thrillers now.

People seem to have stopped giving him licenses. Video game movies actually being successful as big ticket productions might have made his schtick less attract to publishers.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Did Pat really joke on the Podcast that Lance Riddick died because Destiny 2 is a bad game?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know, did he?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

A Sometimes Food posted:

Mostly doing direct to streaming generic action thrillers now.

People seem to have stopped giving him licenses. Video game movies actually being successful as big ticket productions might have made his schtick less attract to publishers.

iirc there was also the closing of the German tax loophole that was the backbone of his whole career.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dabir posted:

I don't know, did he?

We'll never know, it's impossible to find out if he did or not.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SgtSteel91 posted:

Did Pat really joke on the Podcast that Lance Riddick died because Destiny 2 is a bad game?

Apparently, he did. The subreddit has been pissed at him for it.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

sometimes people make bad jokes, it's ok, the butt of the joke is destiny 2 not the guy who died.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's also been revealed that Pat literally never forgives people ever past a certain point. That includes all things, including video games. Even Paige had to sus out why is he so bad.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

sirtommygunn posted:

sometimes people make bad jokes, it's ok, the butt of the joke is destiny 2 not the guy who died.

I've heard worst jokes about Betty White the hour she passed.

Like, this joke is so nothing

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I can't believe Pat made a mean joke I mean that's so unlike him what a scandal

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SgtSteel91 posted:

Who says it's a joke? For now I think it's a solid lead. Consider all possibilities, imo

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vandar posted:

Apparently, he did. The subreddit has been pissed at him for it.

Don't read reddit.

Don't care what a subreddit has to say.

Achieve the nirvana of Being Normal.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Eh, Pat looking for an excuse to dunk on some thing he has a grudge against is pretty tiresome. That excuse being someone who passed away is pretty lame.

ApeHawk posted:

I've heard worst jokes about Betty White the hour she passed.

Like, this joke is so nothing

I mean, jokes are usually funny, "game bad" is pretty meh. If you're gonna make a too soon joke, at least be funny.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jokes?? In my castle super beast podcast??!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Oxyclean posted:

Eh, Pat looking for an excuse to dunk on some thing he has a grudge against is pretty tiresome. That excuse being someone who passed away is pretty lame.

I mean, jokes are usually funny, "game bad" is pretty meh. If you're gonna make a too soon joke, at least be funny.

I simply can’t believe Pat would do this. I thought I could trust him. But now? I don’t know. This is a bridge too far and someone must answer for this.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hey, I'm not saying it's a shock that Pat is being petty and lame.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It was a stupid and ill-advised joke but, considering what passed as acceptable behaviour in regards to the recently departed in some of those places, a lot the people having one absolutely do not have a leg to stand on.
Besides, it was a mite of the whole conversation, which Woolie dutifully had the joke woosh over his head anyway.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 22, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This is a non story and I’m surprised people are worked up enough about it to even merit discussion of it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's not a story. I dont think anyone is saying Pat should be canceled for it or whatever, but like "oh wow Pat did a hot take" or people being put off by Pat is really not anything new. This thread itself has frequently complained about Pat being abrasive.

I think for some people it came off as particularly insensitive cause they just had a weekend absorbing stories about how Lance loved Destiny, seeing people hold vigil, etc.

Like if Pat popped on the podcast after Miura passed away and was like "Wow man would rather die then finish Berserk" you'd probably have people similarly reacting negatively.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

it's absolutely fine for a thread to not have any posts rather than whatever this is.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Oxyclean posted:

Like if Pat popped on the podcast after Miura passed away and was like "Wow man would rather die then finish Berserk" you'd probably have people similarly reacting negatively.

hilariously incorrect

Pretty much everyone darkly predicted he'd die before Berserk got finished--that it happened way earlier than anyone thought was a surprise, but the sentiment had been around for over a decade

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pat actively makes those jokes about GRRM all the time

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Yeah, no. Saying that a beloved actor who tragically died young died because he's in a video game Pat doesn't like isn't just a bad joke, it's deliberately inflammatory and offensive in addtion to being a bad joke. That's a thing you say if and only if you are purposefully trying to offend people that are grieving.

I think I'm gonna be taking a break from Pat's content for a while.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 22, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

hilariously incorrect

Pretty much everyone darkly predicted he'd die before Berserk got finished--that it happened way earlier than anyone thought was a surprise, but the sentiment had been around for over a decade
I feel like there's a difference between "This dude will probably not finish this before he passes" predictively and "they chose to die rather then finish their work" immediately following their passing.

That said, I could absolutely see Pat making the joke that "GRRM would rather die then finish Song and Fire" both before and after.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The podcast episode opened up with a very long segment about how they were both upset by Lance Reddick dying and talking about how he's the GOAT and they'll miss him. Near the end Pat talks about how Lance was a big fan of Destiny and that's why he's in it and people were convening around his in-game character as a memorial to him. Then he stumbled through a half-joke about how maybe Lance decided he was tired of playing Destiny 2, which Woolie didn't even parse as a joke or possibly a coherent sentence. That's the extent of what happened.

Oxyclean posted:

That said, I could absolutely see Pat making the joke that "GRRM would rather die then finish Song and Fire" both before and after.

He has done this repeatedly and recently, yes. As in like last week's podcast episode recently.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Froghammer posted:

Yeah, no. Saying that a beloved actor who tragically died young died because he's in a video game Pat doesn't like isn't just a bad joke, it's deliberately inflammatory and offensive in addtion to being a bad joke. That's a thing you say if and only if you are purposefully trying to offend people that are grieving.

don't put a celebrity you've never met on a pedastal, i dont give a poo poo how good of a guy he was

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Froghammer posted:

Is this resetera?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Froghammer posted:

I listened to the episode and they spend a looooobg tike talking about how it sucks how he's gone and how good and cool he was and Pat makes the limpest dark joke they've made on the pod in a month and THAT was your line? The jokes about beating kids or basically anything related to an episode title wasn't too far?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Stop listening if you want to, but lmao if you think Pat qualifies as a problem for....this

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe Pat spent 17 hours of the 5 hour podcast episode calling Lance Reddick worse than Margaret Thatcher or Justin Trudeau's blackface history. This is completely out of line and I will not accept any video evidence that refutes my secondhand reddit info

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

first pat came for melee players, and i said nothing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pat's joke repetoire definitely gets old when he goes on a 1 hour rant about smash and everyone is done, but he's got a pedophile quota to reach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Went to the circus and there was a bear wearing a small hat riding a unicycle around. Don't know what this bear was thinking but he needs better material.