Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Obsession that destroys a person: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I rewatched The Score (2001) last night for first time in probably a decade. There's an underrated heist movie from a bygone era in cinema.

Marlon Brando is portly, but surprisingly ambulatory and well-dressed considering what he was up to just a few years before.

Norton's whole 'faking being developmentally-disabled' thing is bad, but surprisingly not as cringe as you might expect from a 20-year-old movie.

DeNiro gets the classic happy ending with his best girl, and honestly even his life before the events of the film looks pretty dope as it is. He owns a jazz club in Montreal. That's money.

It's really cool to see Montreal showcased the way it is in this movie. The city is like its own character. And all of the bit parts like the Francophone security guards, just great.

The leadup to and payoff of the big safe being cracked is perfect. "It's just physics."

And I totally memory-holed the fact that it was directed by goddamn Frank Oz.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Timby posted:

Obsession that destroys a person: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
True

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Bought the Ultra Q steelbox a while back because it was fairly cheap. It just arrived and I only just realized it's Region A and I'm pretty sure my Blu-ray player and my PS4 are both region locked to B.

Welcome to physical media, time to buy a region free bluray player

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

Welcome to physical media, time to buy a region free bluray player

there's some real good stuff in that Ultra Q set

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

wait poo poo I got a better response

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Bought the Ultra Q steelbox a while back because it was fairly cheap. It just arrived and I only just realized it's Region A and I'm pretty sure my Blu-ray player and my PS4 are both region locked to B.

Ultra QQ

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Who started or popularized the thing where you freeze on a newly introduced character and show their name? I know The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly did it.

Are there any clear movies that build on it, like the first to add little snippets of text beside just the name? Or add a narrator with a few flash back scenes before resuming the main film?

In writing this, I'm now also thinking of the bit in Forrest Gump where we see all of Lt. Dan's forefathers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I finally say Black Hawk Down after my co-worker seemed aghast that I had never seen it before. I remember my reasons for not seeing it was the fact that it was released a few months after 9/11 and I was worried that it would just be an outright propaganda film (I know it was filmed before 9/11 so I feel half right).
I will say that it is very good at building tension and making you feel like you are in the middle of a battle. The constant barrage of bullets and the basic story of survival are handled really well. I wouldn't say I cared too much about the characters though and the fact that I kept getting confused about who is who and who died and who didn't and why should I care who died and didn't. They tried to give the characters the most basic personality ever (I think most of the characters can be summed up as "I have never been in a war zone before and I am looking forward to fighting") so again, not really enough for me to care about them*. As bland as the Americans were, they were well fleshed out characters compared to the Somalis who were pretty much treated like freaking zombies with RPG's. Seriously, this felt like watching a zombie movie with hordes of the undead bearing down in overwhelming numbers on the soldiers. There are no Somalis with distinct personalities, names, or anything else. I guess there is the one dude with sunglasses who....wears sunglasses. One Somali who captures a soldier has a small speech but he is the only one that gets to talk. the rest are just there to shoot and get shot. The thing that I think really drives this point home is that every time an American get's shot/killed it is presented in the most realistic, brutal graphic way possible, but when a Somali is killed its a quick gunshot wound. We are shown how these soldiers suffered with barely a thought given to any innocent bystander caught in the crosshairs.
On a technical level the film is really excellent. I wouldn't say the movie is a pro-war but it is definitely pro-military, driving home the whole brothers in arms motif with the final speech at the end. In the end though I think the next time I want to see a movie about a group heavily outmatched but nameless murderers I will just watch the Raid.

*Side note: reading the wiki and seeing that McGregor's character was changed and renamed because the person he is based on was arrested/sentenced for raping a 6 year old really tarnishes the whole survived a hero thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Black Hawk Down is a really weird movie for a coworker to be aghast at you not seeing in 2023. Like, it was a technically well made but absolutely morally disgusting movie when it came out.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Madkal posted:

*Side note: reading the wiki and seeing that McGregor's character was changed and renamed because the person he is based on was arrested/sentenced for raping a 6 year old really tarnishes the whole survived a hero thing.

Fun fact about Black Hawk Down: the Pentagon provided the Black Hawk helicopters to the production, even though their own standards say they’ll only be involved with historical movies if they’re true to the real people and events.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Fun fact about Black Hawk Down: the Pentagon provided the Black Hawk helicopters to the production, even though their own standards say they’ll only be involved with historical movies if they’re true to the real people and events.

According to wiki

wiki posted:

The book relied on a dramatization of participant accounts, which were the basis of the movie. SPC John Stebbins was renamed as fictional "John Grimes." Stebbins had been convicted by court martial in 1999 for the rape and forcible sodomy of his six-year-old daughter.[15] Mark Bowden said the Pentagon, ever sensitive about public image, decided to alter factual history by requesting the change.[16]

Got to protect that public image.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grimey

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

X-Ray Pecs posted:

And yet they pulled their support of Independence Day because Devlin and Emmerich wouldn't remove the lines about Area 51 having alien technology.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/savbrads/status/1638200607851806725?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How about this topic of discussion: which would be the worst movie to get a sequel?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How about this topic of discussion: which would be the worst movie to get a sequel?

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

That had a sequel tho!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Godfather Part 2

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Titanic

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Labyrinth
Coraline

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rushmore

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
John Landis 's segment of the Twilight Zone film.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Hereditary2: Paimon Gets Paid Man

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Groundhog Day is my answer

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Melancholia

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The Day After the Clown Cried

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Groundhog Day is my answer

Palm Springs was pretty well received IIRC.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Citizens Kane

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Forrest Gump

e: hell, toss in a lot of Hanks

Joe vs Another Volcano
Cast Away 2
The Green Marathon

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 21, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Azhais posted:

Forrest Gump

e: hell, toss in a lot of Hanks

Joe vs Another Volcano
Cast Away 2
The Green Marathon

Forrest Gump is based on a novel and the author of that novel did write a sequel. I've read neither, but my understanding is Gump becomes an astronaut at some point.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In FG2 he becomes president

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

Forrest Gump is based on a novel and the author of that novel did write a sequel. I've read neither, but my understanding is Gump becomes an astronaut at some point.

I’m the sequel, Gump is present at the Oklahoma City bombing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I’m the sequel, Gump is present at the Oklahoma City bombing.

Are you Timothy McVeigh posting from beyond the grave?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

American History X

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

Are you Timothy McVeigh posting from beyond the grave?

That is an absolute fact about the Forest Gump sequel.

Edit: here’s another

quote:

the script for the sequel was submitted on September 10, 2001, a day before the attacks.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 21, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

He's not at Oklahoma City in Gump & Co., but he does fight in the first Gulf War (with Lieutenant Dan, obviously), invent New Coke, bring down the Berlin Wall by punting a football over it, crash the Exxon Valdez and gets involved in the Iran-Contra affair.

I am not making one word of that up. I read the book in junior high and it was one of the strangest books I've ever read.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Timby posted:

He's not at Oklahoma City in Gump & Co., but he does fight in the first Gulf War (with Lieutenant Dan, obviously), invent New Coke, bring down the Berlin Wall by punting a football over it, crash the Exxon Valdez and gets involved in the Iran-Contra affair.

I am not making one word of that up. I read the book in junior high and it was one of the strangest books I've ever read.

The book and the script for the sequel are different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Edit: here’s another

I was making a joke about your typo.