Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Welsh Rarebitch posted:

Anyone know this? Would this work universally with FPS? I'm on the fence buying this thing.

So I just tested it out, it's pretty awkward since you have to lean the right side of the Deck on a table or your lap, but yes: you can use the inputs on the Deck and a Mouse at the same time. Played a bit of Dead Space Remake like this.

A lot of games don't support Xinput and KB/Mouse at the same time but you can just set all of the inputs to keyboard bindings instead and you're golden. You'll have to get really clever with inputs though since you'll be losing a lot of buttons, unless you have one of those crazy MMO mice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is literally the point of the trackpads and gyro, you don't need a dedicated mouse and you can remap some of the controls to the rear buttons instead of the face buttons.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I’m in desperate need of an 256gb sd card, any specific sandisk model I should grab?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I got this and its great, fast as poo poo - they've got a 256 one but I say get the 512 for 11 clams more.

EDIT: wait poo poo, samsung - here's an U3/A2 sandisk.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 21, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Squiggle posted:

I got this and its great, fast as poo poo - they've got a 256 one but I say get the 512 for 11 clams more.

EDIT: wait poo poo, samsung - here's an U3/A2 sandisk.

I will probably get that Samsung 512, thank you.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is literally the point of the trackpads and gyro, you don't need a dedicated mouse and you can remap some of the controls to the rear buttons instead of the face buttons.

Hello, you seem to be unfamiliar with PC gaming purists and their absolute stubbornness. Would you like to know more?

RandolphCarter posted:

I’m in desperate need of an 256gb sd card, any specific sandisk model I should grab?

Go bigger!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Hello, you seem to be unfamiliar with PC gaming purists and their absolute stubbornness. Would you like to know more?

Go bigger!

Too broke.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

is Starfield coming to the deck? I'm tempted to get it for that and gamecube emulation.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's coming to Steam so unless there's some absolutely bizarre anti-cheat, I'm sure Deck will be able to run it at a solid 20fps 480p

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
My Samsung SSDs came with a warning sticker specifically for steam deck users:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The deck is a PC. Anything g released for PC also is released for the deck. Whether it runs acceptably is the question.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The deck is a PC. Anything g released for PC also is released for the deck. Whether it runs acceptably is the question.

If we're talking through Steam OS/Linux, literally any Epic multiplayer game from their store refutes this. Might technically run, but it can't be actually played.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just play starfield through Xbox cloud streaming then you don’t even have to pay full retail and it’ll look better

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Any bets on if Starfield will even play on the steam deck?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m sure it will run and redditors will insist it plays perfectly well at an inconsistent 7fps at 25% render resolution

Speaking of, somebody on Reddit did a good comparison of screens:

Left is matte film on 64gb, middle is 512gb, right is 256gb. You can see how the matte film adds a lot of blur.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 22, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just wait for modders to fix it and someone will probably do a steam deck texture pack so it runs fine but looks like an N64 game

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm fortunate that my brain is built such that I don't really notice reflections unless I specifically look for them (or I'm playing something with a really dark screen, maybe). The only time they're ever noticeable enough to bug me is if there's an actual light directly reflecting off the screen, but that's almost never the case.

I actually kind of prefer glossy screens. Makes the image look a bit better for some reason I don't understand. My work laptop (a Mac) also has a glossy screen and it looks really nice when playing a movie or something on it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Glossy screens rule but I like my 512gb screen a lot

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I run a matte screen protector on my 512. it's fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

same!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Screen protectors are for cowards who don’t like to live dangerously.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I haven't really felt the need to get a screen protector like I did the switch. it helps that the dock doesn't scrape right against the device.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I'm anal about putting my Deck away into the carrying case when not acticely playing so I'm also not worried about scratches.
Happy with my 512 screen.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Lost a few hours to playing Zelda Ocarina of Time's decompilation port (Ship of Harkinian) in 1080p / 60 on my TV via my 'deck.

Not without a few minor screaming matches at the thing; I was stupid enough to point to a nonexistent folder in the "start in" option so I have a build of SoH in my .local/share/stream folder which I will have to probably deal with later, but oh my word when it works, it works

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Angryhead posted:

I'm anal about putting my Deck away into the carrying case when not acticely playing so I'm also not worried about scratches.
Happy with my 512 screen.

It's more for if you bump the screen against something or drop it. You can sometimes avoid the main screen breaking (when dropping my phone, for example) with a glass screen protector because the protector breaks but not the main screen. or sometimes something will bump against it and leave a gash. It's just insurance.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/ondeck/status/1638336153974865921?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

This fixed Monster Hunter Rise (Game Pass version) crashing at startup

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I got mine! I wasn't prepared for how big this thing is. I immediately installed a screen protector because I'm anal about slightest scratches. Got a kit from Amazon that came with a plastic frame that helped in installing it exactly right so you can't even tell it's there - as said above, cheap insurance.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Talorat posted:

My Samsung SSDs came with a warning sticker specifically for steam deck users:
That's ... interesting.

For one, it indicates that a lot of folks are purchasing these things for the Deck. Which makes sense, they'd be sold through supplier channels for OEMs otherwise.

For another, I haven't seen NVMe drives not be detected by a BIOS like that. Perhaps a bug if it's not recognized as bootable?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I played my switch lite for the first time last night after getting the deck and it feels absolutely tiny compared to the deck.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I played my switch lite for the first time last night after getting the deck and it feels absolutely tiny compared to the deck.

And that's funny because the Lite is already bigger than the PS Vita (considered "big" at the time) and the RP3+ (considered medium sized among its brethren). It's amazing how our perceptions keep changing from day to day.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I still keep my old first-gen 3DS around for 3D Picross and it felt small before, but oh my god how the thing now feels teeny-tiny, like a rare jewel.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
Just got my 512. Totally sniffed the vent.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Even guys on Reddit are like “download FurMark for the ultimate smell”

We all sick.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Switch Lite is the size of Steam Deck's screen. Lite's size only bothers me on longer sessions like on flights.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Baldur’s Gate 3 looks and runs pretty good on the deck. Just hope when it comes out proper it has controller support.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I honestly love the Switch's size and if they sold a Deck mini I would pay anything for it.

It's the old rear end hardware of the Switch that turns me off.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

RandolphCarter posted:

Baldur’s Gate 3 looks and runs pretty good on the deck. Just hope when it comes out proper it has controller support.

It’s launching on ps5 at the same time so controller support should be there.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just bought the 64gb version. I am not afraid to open it up and upgrade the ssd, but I think I'll wait.

My main use case is streaming from PS5, playing all those roguelike/platformer/metroidvania games I own on stean but never really touched and maybe some Emulation of snes/wii.

From what I read here, a microsd card should be fine for these purposes, as emulation and smaller games don't need to be on the ssd, is that correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Absolutely.