Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Fascism is on the march! But I really hate old people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i wonder if biden would have gone for reelection if not for unexpectedly getting thrust into (effectively) wartime president mode. i mean, yeah, there were indications he was gonna do so anyway before, but circumstances appear to have clinched the deal

half of me says he's trying to backroom groom harris as an effective foreign policy leader to take over when he inevitably gets too old to do the job. "win an election, continue on a bit, resign, deliver a big legacy bomb as the old white guy who turned the presidency over to a black woman" feels like a very biden move

it's maybe preferable to some gop alternative, but goddamn do i despise american politics' slide into a patronage system because that's far more advantageous for either side of the entrenched powers than trying for systematic electoral reform

I feel like if he was trying to position Harris as his successor, he would have made an effort to give her some wins that she could use to establish her bona fides as the next president, but her media profile seems pretty small and otherwise diminished. Buttigieg also seems like he’s less viable since Republicans will try to hang the Norfolk Southern, gas prices and the lovely situation with airlines on him even if he seems to be making a serious and concerted effort at doing his job. The legacy of the 2020 primaries looks like it was the Democrats coming together to position Biden as the logical candidate while handing out admin jobs to his rivals and that seems to have also made Harris and Buttigieg less viable in 2024.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Fascism is on the march! But I really hate old people.

Biden is already at the age where people should be taking annual driving tests to make sure they’re still competent to drive, let alone run the country. I don’t think it’s that big of an ask to have a president not from the generation of lawmakers that has had a stranglehold on political leadership for over 30 years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Biden’s advanced age isn’t the reason that he is historically unpopular.

It is however an excellent official reason to bow out and let primaries decide your successor.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Midjack posted:

Can't wait to see which decrepit boomer the democrats haul up next because it's "their turn."

:rolleye:
Biden beat a dozen other candidates by getting more votes. The field wasn't cleared for him. He wasn't anointed. He won elections by campaigning better.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I feel like if he was trying to position Harris as his successor, he would have made an effort to give her some wins that she could use to establish her bona fides as the next president, but her media profile seems pretty small and otherwise diminished. Buttigieg also seems like he’s less viable since Republicans will try to hang the Norfolk Southern, gas prices and the lovely situation with airlines on him even if he seems to be making a serious and concerted effort at doing his job. The legacy of the 2020 primaries looks like it was the Democrats coming together to position Biden as the logical candidate while handing out admin jobs to his rivals and that seems to have also made Harris and Buttigieg less viable in 2024.

Biden is already at the age where people should be taking annual driving tests to make sure they’re still competent to drive, let alone run the country. I don’t think it’s that big of an ask to have a president not from the generation of lawmakers that has had a stranglehold on political leadership for over 30 years.

An aside on Buttigieg, and I think I've made this argument before. He's done a perfectly fine job as Secretary of Transportation, and the Norfolk Southern bullshit is the end result of nearly a century of malfeasance and cutting corners by the rail industry that's only going to get worse before it gets better. I'd be shocked if he doesn't have an aide carry around a fire extinguisher on a daily basis for situations caused by his predecessors (his former specifically).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Stultus Maximus posted:

:rolleye:
Biden beat a dozen other candidates by getting more votes. The field wasn't cleared for him. He wasn't anointed. He won elections by campaigning better.

The democrats have no bench. And the coach has every intention on keeping that bench as thin as possible so only "the right sort" get state/federal nominations

The difficulties Bernie and and AOC have are more due to the democratic party apparatus than republican voters

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/PatrioticPizzas/status/1638157582358523904?t=K2FCp09EeKw0AeUk_ahd1w&s=19

Oh, so he was just trying to own the libs and not rile up his own base who might come to his rescue by burning the country down. Consider me owned.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrioticPizzas/status/1638157582358523904?t=K2FCp09EeKw0AeUk_ahd1w&s=19

Oh, so he was just trying to own the libs and not rile up his own base who might come to his rescue by burning the country down. Consider me owned.

I like how the Grand Jury is still doing their thing, therefor, a possible indictment is a lie.

I'm sure this will end up just letting us down, like everything else. Watching the real time meltdowns of Trump supporters is well worth it nonetheless.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Haha, our guy is a huge lying crybaby, sucks to be you!"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2801827

Higher dose Ivermectin treatment vs placebo for outpatient COVID recovery. Can't believe it, the results are "Lol", "Lmao", "Lol, lmao" and "No, it doesn't help"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Some fun brewing on the Donnie classified document jam-wriggling, DOJ pierced attorney-client privilege by arguing Donnie lied to his lawyers:

https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1638303406698766336

quote:

Judge Howell, who on Friday stepped down as the D.C. district court's chief judge, wrote last week that prosecutors in special counsel had made a "prima facie showing that the former president had committed criminal violations”

that's a real, real big problem for him because that's another one of those intent-requiring crimes. At that level you can whoopsie-doodle away some classified document stuff and duck a charge (though not the line-level, actual workers). But prove intent by deliberately lying to your lawyers? Now you've got some toast to go with the jam.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 21, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2801827

Higher dose Ivermectin treatment vs placebo for outpatient COVID recovery. Can't believe it, the results are "Lol", "Lmao", "Lol, lmao" and "No, it doesn't help"

It's a shame dewormer doesn't work on brain worms.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

A.o.D. posted:

It's a shame dewormer doesn't work on brain worms.

In a way it does.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

facialimpediment posted:

Some fun brewing on the Donnie classified document jam-wriggling, DOJ pierced attorney-client privilege by arguing Donnie lied to his lawyers:

https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1638303406698766336

that's a real, real big problem for him because that's another one of those intent-requiring crimes. At that level you can whoopsie-doodle away some classified document stuff and duck a charge (though not the line-level, actual workers). But prove intent by deliberately lying to your lawyers? Now you've got some toast to go with the jam.

what an awful human being on every imaginable level

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It's like, at this point, he's begging to get burned putting his hand on a hot stove.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kind of the expected outcome for someone who has not once in their life had to suffer any consequences.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

News Flash!

Badgers have halted rail operations in the Netherlands!

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/21/1165100041/burrowing-badgers-trains-netherlands

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

Now more fun just posted! So the Donnie lawyers emergency appealed the crime-fraud exception ruling and the Appeals Court stayed the district judge's ruling. Apparently, the appeal is all about documents. Naturally, that goes to the Appeals Court where they may take months/forever to actually rule on it.

Or not. Donnie has until midnight to detail all the documents they want to exclude. DOJ gets until 6AM to respond. Donnie drew a 3-judge panel of Obama/Biden/Biden judges.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Badgers are bros

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie drew a 3-judge panel of Obama/Biden/Biden judges.

rekt

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

so, uh, apparently australia is also investing in a bunch of tomahawks and HIMARS as well as the nuke subs

i think they're getting ready for poo poo to go down

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Now more fun just posted! So the Donnie lawyers emergency appealed the crime-fraud exception ruling and the Appeals Court stayed the district judge's ruling. Apparently, the appeal is all about documents. Naturally, that goes to the Appeals Court where they may take months/forever to actually rule on it.

Or not. Donnie has until midnight to detail all the documents they want to exclude. DOJ gets until 6AM to respond. Donnie drew a 3-judge panel of Obama/Biden/Biden judges.

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1638358836628127746?t=CBPe-mxgyIYOlbiQDR3xew&s=19

Uh.

Do I go ahead and put $5 on "Donnie sold secrets to Russia along with a Valentine's Day card so Vlad would like him"?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1638358836628127746?t=CBPe-mxgyIYOlbiQDR3xew&s=19

Uh.

Do I go ahead and put $5 on "Donnie sold secrets to Russia along with a Valentine's Day card so Vlad would like him"?

i'll take $10 on tried to impress the norks with nuclear weapon schematics

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have Trump’s nuclear diagram right here.

Current or former U.S. military do not read.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's clearly fake because it doesn't have his stupid loving signature in 18 places

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's clearly fake because it doesn't have his stupid loving signature in 18 places

Which, ironically enough, looks like a polygraph gone off the charts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It’s a diagram of a sentence from a speech he gave in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elhyo-_fR0E

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

Uh.

Could it be something as simple as the Judges being wise to the Trump team's tactics of using motions and procedural crap to drag things out as long as humanly possible (and, typically, submitting legal gibberish when it comes time) and they're having none of it?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Maybe, but even knowing nothing about law, deadlines of hours seems exceptional.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Meh, just a bunch of Democrat judges trying to stop him draining the swamp obviously

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Maybe, but even knowing nothing about law, deadlines of hours seems exceptional.

He did say he knew he'd be charged, so really, you'd expect them to have their ducks in a row.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Arrath posted:

Could it be something as simple as the Judges being wise to the Trump team's tactics of using motions and procedural crap to drag things out as long as humanly possible (and, typically, submitting legal gibberish when it comes time) and they're having none of it?

While possible I view it as extremely unlikely. With that kind of stuff judges usually let it play out and just keep everything documented on the back end to screw them with when it's all said and done and the verdict is being handed down. They've all seen rear end in a top hat defendants. This poo poo is bonkers bat country that hasn't been seen before.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

There's only one similar case that's been referenced - another high-profile "I don't want to testify to this federal grand jury" case that got handled by the Appeals Court in one day and he testified the next day (forget who). There's really no detail on what these documents could be about and only that one dude was speculating what the actual content was.

And both sides met their deadlines, speculation is that there will be a ruling before noon, so they're really not loving around. DOJ gave a 6000-word reply, which lmao at the staffers that had to pull an all-nighter on this one.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The legal equivalent of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry55--J4_VQ&t=38s

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Platystemon posted:

I have Trump’s nuclear diagram right here.

Current or former U.S. military do not read.

I'm deeply offended you did not use the goatman here

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Arrath posted:

No. Even if they felt the motion was meritless they'd still most likely give it a complete shake given the composition of the SCOTUS and the magnitude of the process at hand.

This case is one for the history books, without a doubt. You wouldn't want anyone saying it was conducted with anything less than absolute adhesion to the process and standards of the system.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah whatever call me when something actually happens.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah whatever call me when something actually happens.

:doink:

https://twitter.com/KevinFreyTV/status/1638538564513275904?t=RejNsLTED2Mht5SfMU4VAQ&s=19

NY Grand Jury could vote today, awaiting Federal Appeals Court ruling on the attorney-client stuff, Georgia poo poo is similar since that special purpose grand jury is wrapped already.

Edit: nm, grand jury called off for today

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 22, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Grip it and rip it posted:

No. Even if they felt the motion was meritless they'd still most likely give it a complete shake given the composition of the SCOTUS and the magnitude of the process at hand.

This case is one for the history books, without a doubt. You wouldn't want anyone saying it was conducted with anything less than absolute adhesion to the process and standards of the system.

Fair, I guess I just want a judge to be so finally, utterly tired of the poo poo that the legal team puts forth. And basically go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Score one for the DOJ overnight squad, appeals court just RIPed the documents stay. Apparently there's another one in place for the testimony or something that's still under review. Hard to really tell as this is all posted under sealed orders.