Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I mean, I’ve also done mediocre work at my job that it was in my interest to frame as good (at least better) work (my equivalent of “the joke is in the corner!”).

That doesn’t mean I don’t acknowledge internally, or with close people in my life, that I’m not particularly good at my job. But it’s a pay cheque, and I shouldn’t feel bad about the capital losing out on potentially overpaying for my labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
mods, add “critical brace theory” to the poll

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I didn't care to type out the whole gazebo thing, but since we're going down the road on how awful this one was:

The great gazebo that Mayor Van Houton built in the 1920s was designed to be a space for "pitching woo", so all the men of Springfield would bring their women there and play ukeleles and sing love songs to them. When they do this, there's a 1920s version of Frink who says something like "Oh no, we didn't account for the harmonic frequencies" and the combined ukeleles cause the gazebo to vibrate and collapse.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Halisnacks posted:

Do the current Simpsons writers think they are comedic geniuses, or do they (internally) acknowledge they’ve got a good job for which they are underqualified, don’t mind delivering the bare minimum, and content themselves with that?

From what I’ve heard when they’re on podcasts, they think they’re the reason the show still draws viewers and gets Emmys in categories with few entrants.

It would be amusing if they had to pitch their own non-legacy show to watch it get ignored by networks. Even Oakley & Weinstein couldn’t figure it out with Mission Hill.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tree Goat posted:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

iamsosmrt posted:

The best thing I can say is Marge's voice actually sounded almost normal somehow; I didn't catch if it's still Kavner but she didn't sound like talking was potentially killing her like she has in recent seasons.

What. I watched it since I was curious and it’s uncomfortable how bad poor Julie Kavner sounds.

It wasn’t as bad as I expected overall but meh.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

PostNouveau posted:

The kids all get homeschooled. The Van Houtons learn that the town history is has a Van Houton mayor who built a huge lovely gazebo that collapsed. Kirk feels this makes his family look like losers and demands the school stop teaching "critical brace theory".
I hate everything about this none of this is even remotely clever :cripes: :cripes: :cripes:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How long did it take the writers room to come up with a way to cram critical brace theory into that script

Whose edict was it

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i saw the panda rape episode and i'm not saying that scene was ever not awful, but somehow it was worse than i remember :barf:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Data Graham posted:

How long did it take the writers room to come up with a way to cram critical brace theory into that script

Whose edict was it

Probably Selman’s.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
did he actually go on Tucker Carlson/Fox News? or did they do a bad barely disguised rip off like Nox Bews and Cucker Tarlson?

like I dont think even Fox talkin heads or Donnie himself would debase themselves and voice themselves.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PostNouveau posted:

"critical brace theory".

you could have stopped there

why didn't you stop there

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mr Interweb posted:

so i saw the panda rape episode and i'm not saying that scene was ever not awful, but somehow it was worse than i remember :barf:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Halisnacks posted:

Do the current Simpsons writers think they are comedic geniuses, or do they (internally) acknowledge they’ve got a good job for which they are underqualified, don’t mind delivering the bare minimum, and content themselves with that?

The former would make them delusional and arrogant; the latter would make them relatable.

I’m not categorically against workers, even in creative fields working on things I used to love, phoning it in. It’s capital that refuses to let the Simpsons die, not the cast, crew and writers.
posted a few times itt, but this video is still probably our best view of Simpsons Writer Mindset:
https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1121577129508884480

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's unsatisfying answers all day. I can't think of a joke that I've written. Me and these other people are literally unemployable in any reasonable capacity.

loving spot on, bud.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
With the quality of the jokes that do get in, I would really hate to hear the jokes that aren't getting in.

Like how bad a joke do you need to be to not get into modern simpsions.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Imagine being in that room full of Ivy League educated writers yelling “jokes” at each other and the TV screen.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Imagine being in that room full of Ivy League educated writers yelling “jokes” at each other and the TV screen.

Every day, for 52 weeks a year

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Tree Goat posted:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i mean it was kind of inevitable that the simpsons would reach a new lowest point since this thread was started

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Watched this video the other night about Dragonball Z and so-called Forever Media and I could only think of the Simpsons (which gets a passing mention)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwRGw9QRMj4

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

dr_rat posted:

With the quality of the jokes that do get in, I would really hate to hear the jokes that aren't getting in.

Like how bad a joke do you need to be to not get into modern simpsions.

well that guy went for slamdance instead of moondance so there's that.

also 1000s of joke pitches sounds like a classic quantity over quality type deal, but i dont know what other shows say about their backroom joke sausage making and their # of pitches.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

also 1000s of joke pitches sounds like a classic quantity over quality type deal, but i dont know what other shows say about their backroom joke sausage making and their # of pitches.

That sounds like other comedy writing rooms I've heard of but, critically, you have to give enough of a poo poo or have the wherewithal to identify the good jokes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PostNouveau posted:

That sounds like other comedy writing rooms I've heard of but, critically, you have to give enough of a poo poo or have the wherewithal to identify the good jokes

Like everything I've heard about the golden age writers is that they spent ages working on scripts and actually getting the jokes right. Zombie Simpsons is pretty much the exact opposite.

Of course all the best writers of a generation are last I heard all being paid by Valve to sit around doing nothing.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

slamdance is another real-world film festival. weirdly, for the actual episode they just said “gently caress it” and used the real sundance festival instead of coming up with a joke

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/sadhilldevan/status/1638402411579727872?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

gpt-4 wouldn't even know what corner a joke was in

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
If only 50 jokes out of 1,000 pitched make it into an episode, that means “critical brace theory” was in the top 5% of jokes uttered in the writers’ room for that episode.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Maybe it's a bizarro room where they're actually making amazing jokes but chucking them all out the moment someone utters "critical brace theory"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Halisnacks posted:

If only 50 jokes out of 1,000 pitched make it into an episode, that means “critical brace theory” was in the top 5% of jokes uttered in the writers’ room for that episode.

0 jokes were pitched for the episode

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

The Awesomesaurus posted:

It's the "Sing Fair Harvard!" scene over and over again all day.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

PinheadSlim posted:

Betting odds in Las Vegas for The Simpsons “Who Shot Mr. Burns?” episode from 1995

Time to update SimpsonsLore.xlsx

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1638998909220696064

I've seen that photo before but never knew it was staged for TV. Also he confirms that no one picked Maggie in Fox's contest so they had to draw a rando for the winner.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is that a show person?

I dont think Vegas takes kindly to insider betting especially 90s Vegas?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

PhazonLink posted:

is that a show person?

I dont think Vegas takes kindly to insider betting especially 90s Vegas?

Bill & Josh wrote Who Shot Mr. Burns

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

womb with a view posted:

Maybe it's a bizarro room where they're actually making amazing jokes but chucking them all out the moment someone utters "critical brace theory"
Simpsons should just fire everyone involved with the show and then only hire 25-35 year olds who can answer an intense trivia questionnaire about the golden seasons, that's honestly the only way to breathe some life info this dead monstrosity that shambles forward

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Launch Al Jean into space

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should only hire people that have never seen an episode of the Simpsons in their entire lives

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Simpsons should just fire everyone involved with the show and then only hire 25-35 year olds who can answer an intense trivia questionnaire about the golden seasons, that's honestly the only way to breathe some life info this dead monstrosity that shambles forward
we need writers who know what the cash register says when maggie is scanned

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

hatty posted:

They should only hire people that have never seen an episode of the Simpsons in their entire lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think this incorrectly assumes that a “good” Simpsons could even exist with the right variables tweaked today. The show has too much baggage to be good again, really.

Like, if Steamed Hams came out today, but with the current state of the voice actors, the current animation style, and most importantly, the general impression that people have that the Simpsons is not good now, could it deliver laughs?