Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
filthy casuals smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

filthy casuals smh

Aren't the hardcore smash players usually the filthy ones?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Merkinman posted:

Aren't the hardcore smash players usually the filthy ones?
:iceburn:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I have been playing BotW for over a week now and it definitely lives up to the hype. I haven't played a new Zelda game since Ocarina of Time, which I 99.9% completed (I could never catch the Hylian loach). Not sure why I never got into Majora's Mask. I think I just wasn't into gaming at the time, and then I never got a new console until the Switch. I think this is probably the best Zelda I've played.

The basic combat reminds me of OoT, but in terms of "feel" it probably reminds me the most of Zelda 1 if you don't know where anything is. Just this huge, dangerous world that's filled with secrets and not too many clues to go on. Like if I were to play the second quest without a guide.

There's not a lot to complain about. I don't think it's necessarily more difficult than Zelda 1 or 2. You die a lot more in Zelda 2 for instance, and you have to use continues once you get a game over and lose a ton of progress.

The weapons are inexplicably fragile, but it's pretty hard to run out once you get going. Shrines with motion control suck, but they really aren't super hard. I wish horses had a longer range for calling them. I think that's all I can think of. Just minor nitpicks. None of these things are really problems.

My biggest issue has been getting used to controls. I don't see anyone else complaining about this so maybe it's just me, but I keep crouching by accident during fights.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Haha there was just a discussion the other day in a game complaints thread that involved accidentally crouching all the time during combat. I hate that control decision so much, Ghost of Tsushima puts sprint on L3 and crouch on R3 by default, and it's a million times better and less disruptive.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've been replaying it with just 3 hearts and it's forcing me to get gud at combat and be more choosy with how I engage enemies.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I found with the pro controller I crouch accidentally a lot less than with the joycons.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah I crouch on accident fairly often but not enough where it's much of a hindrance. Also a pro controller user.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MokBa posted:

Yeah I crouch on accident fairly often but not enough where it's much of a hindrance. Also a pro controller user.

You sound like more of an amateur :smugdog:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Winifred Madgers posted:

I found with the pro controller I crouch accidentally a lot less than with the joycons.

It's a really good investment. You can even use it on your computer or phone if you like. Technology

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It's a really good investment. You can even use it on your computer or phone if you like. Technology

I never wanted to """"waste"""" the money on one because the joycons are fine. But my wife got me one for my birthday one year and then I was like, where has this been my whole life? It's good.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am going to try to see if I can finish up BotW before the new game comes out this month; I still got 2 of the Divine Beasts to go, along with the entire west side of the map.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I am not sure where else I would put crouch with the rest of the commands, really, but I don't see why you can't just remap the buttons as you wish.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I am going to try to see if I can finish up BotW before the new game comes out this month; I still got 2 of the Divine Beasts to go, along with the entire west side of the map.

You've got a little more time than you think, TotK drops in 52 days

Speaking of which, 52 days!!!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
7 weeks before BOTW we got the huge trailer

I really want a TOTK-focused direct soon but on the other hand I want to see nothing else until it's out

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

A proper BOTW-style cinematic hype trailer that makes me run to Best Buy on release day instead of walking would be nice, but I've already pre-ordered it and am sure it will be amazing either way so I'm fine with getting nothing more as well lol

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
To this day I've never seen any of the Breath of the Wild advertising or trailers. All I knew about the game before it released was that you could set the grass on fire.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Hedrigall posted:

I really want a TOTK-focused direct soon but on the other hand I want to see nothing else until it's out

There's a rumor one is coming on the 12th

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hedrigall posted:

I don't really care about spoilers personally, so even more than a Direct I'd love something like the Treehouse shows from E3 that Nintendo did for Breath of the Wild, with one or two of the game's staff chatting to a Nintendo playtester or whatever they were as they ambled about one little corner of the map showing off various foundationary systems. I loved watching those, and they're what convinced me to get the game since I'm not huge on Zelda and have missed or only partially played a good few of the games.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Hogama posted:

To this day I've never seen any of the Breath of the Wild advertising or trailers. All I knew about the game before it released was that you could set the grass on fire.

The only things I knew about it before i played it were that 1) it was open world, and 2) it was really good. The last Zelda I had played was Links Awakening DX on Game Boy Color.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
I honestly suspect that there's still a big feature/gimmick that Nintendo is holding out on. And I'm not talking about vehicle building either. Possibly something related to time travel/time reversal. Some of the earliest footage we saw featured some kind of time inversion rune, and the symbol of the oroboros is featured so prominently. I wouldn't be surprised if we're caught in another time loop but with falling sky islands or something like that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Fish Appreciator posted:

I honestly suspect that there's still a big feature/gimmick that Nintendo is holding out on. And I'm not talking about vehicle building either. Possibly something related to time travel/time reversal. Some of the earliest footage we saw featured some kind of time inversion rune, and the symbol of the oroboros is featured so prominently. I wouldn't be surprised if we're caught in another time loop but with falling sky islands or something like that.

We’re likely going back 10,000 years to the first calamity and playing as the old hero from that. And yeah there’s likely gonna be poo poo you do back then that’ll open up stuff in the future.

But who knows, can’t wait.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hogama posted:

I heard it was open world and you could climb things and that weapons broke. I thought you had to make your own weapons. I had this image of stone age Link climbing a cliff and making a stone tomohawk to fight an alligator-man that throws an axe.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

If they were to revisit the time travel gimmick again I'd like to see them go all out. Not just two points in time with some map adjustments between them, but like multiple time periods. Maybe youd have to go back and revisit the time periods of previous games to collect past items or gather the help of past links or something. I know thats a tall order but i dont think just rehashing Ocarina with BotW's map would be all that great.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hear me out

The higher into the sky you go, the further back in time

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I also really hope they're hiding something huge mechanic-wise, akin to the reveal that Super Mario Odyssey was all about enemy body possession. Nobody saw that coming from the initial trailer. We thought it was just a hat you could throw then jump on.

The leaked TOTK art book is intended to be looked at before playing the game as it's included with the special edition, so while it shows a lot of cool stuff you can't infer any game mechanics at all, it's still all a mystery

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I have it from a reputable source ChatGPT that you'll be able to harvest the tears of enemies and drink them to gain their powers. There'll be speed tears, power tears, time tears, you name it. So now you know!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Have they confirmed it's tears of the kingdom, as in eye liquid and not tears of the kingdom and you flip between worlds using portals called tears. Actually you could probably just look at the kanji and figure this out, I don't care to though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Pretty sure they said crying tears.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I’ve been calling it “tears of the kingdom” as in rips to annoy my kid since the game was announced. I’m 99.9% sure that’s wrong, but it’d be really funny if somehow it were right.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have it from a reputable source ChatGPT that you'll be able to harvest the tears of enemies and drink them to gain their powers. There'll be speed tears, power tears, time tears, you name it. So now you know!

The most powerful one will be harvesting the tears of Gamers after they discover that all weapons break after 1 hit now

Gaius Marius posted:

Have they confirmed it's tears of the kingdom, as in eye liquid and not tears of the kingdom and you flip between worlds using portals called tears. Actually you could probably just look at the kanji and figure this out, I don't care to though.

Yeah I checked now and the katakana is like eye tears but also I think most people figured it from the trailer showing a carving of a bunch of teardrop shapes that are presumably the artifacts you have to collect this time around.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 22, 2023

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In Japan the title is "Eye Liquid of the Gods"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

It’s called Tears of the Kingdom because the entire game is just the years of light quests of TP mixed with sacred tears stealth sections of SS and Nintendo is scared to reveal this because they know everyone will be storming retailers en masse to get copies on opening day in international riots

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Each tear has a puzzle and a skeleton in it

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Each tear has a puzzle and a skeleton in it

Hey, just like me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
started age of calamity and mostly enjoying it, but i feel conflicted about being solely responsible for the rito's underpopulation crisis

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Rito did start it for reasons that I can't remember anymore

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Shiroc posted:

The Rito did start it for reasons that I can't remember anymore

They had been dealing with suspicious/aggressive hylians and sheikah and they thought you were more of them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wait, did Link do a genocide? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wait, did Link do a genocide? :ohdear:

It's a musou game, you can't consider the number of people who get defeated to be a serious death toll, especially compared to the total population seen outside of battles. Especially since more of them just spawn out of nowhere in keeps.