Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blotto_Otter posted:

banning crypto would be a good idea. banning crypto is not at all what desantis is proposing, and if you think that's what he was proposing here, you're one of the rubes that these performances are meant for

banning digital currency of any type issued by anyone is a good idea, i dont care if ron wants to be the next donald trump or king of disney world.

Digital money is stupid

now excuse me while i polish my life savings of sliver coins and poke mon cards

Edit: sorry for a stupid page snip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I'm all for banning fantasy digital money, explicitly - but again:

CBDC doesn't exist, so this is like banning terminator bots from AI before they exist. Okay great but....?

Even if government one day does put out a CBDC it's more than likely it'll be some backend bank settlement poo poo, not something we would do. Like how banks reconcile eurodollars. I'm not expecting they're going to set it up where we just "send 1 CBDC dollar to Ups_rail on the blockchain at dickbutts.cbdc".

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Imagine being able to send money from your bank account to other people on the internet without needing to mail them a cheque

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Boxturret posted:

Imagine being able to send money from your bank account to other people on the internet without needing to mail them a cheque

I'm so happy bitcoin made such a thing possible.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

*laughs with interac*

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

CBDC doesn't exist, so this is like banning terminator bots from AI before they exist. Okay great but....?

Even if government one day does put out a CBDC it's more than likely it'll be some backend bank settlement poo poo, not something we would do. Like how banks reconcile eurodollars. I'm not expecting they're going to set it up where we just "send 1 CBDC dollar to Ups_rail on the blockchain at dickbutts.cbdc".

The superior option genuinely just seems to be making sure that as few places as possible are so backwoods and unconnected that you'd need a money transfer solution that doesn't check in with the central authority.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Also, states explicitly have no say over currency. It would be like DeSantis declaring that the upcoming Hariet Tubman 20 isn't legal tender. Which is something I could honestly see him doing.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Boxturret posted:

how would I ever do that without Bitcoin?

E: What the gently caress is a cheque?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
How is the dollar not already a cbdc, practically speaking? It’s issued by the fed and the things get shunted around without physical money changing hands.

Has Ronnie just banned money in Florida?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Money isn't real. Think about it

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LordArgh posted:

Money isn't real. Think about it

What if money is real but florida isnt?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ups_rail posted:

What if money is real but florida isnt?

Look either money is real and florida is real, or money isn't real and florida isn't real.

The two are far too interconnected for you to mix and match like this!

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Americas banking is so backwards lol. I've been able to send money to any domestic account via my bank's website since 1999 and via the app basically since apps were a thing.

Edit: for free

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Florida, like race and money, is a social construct.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
BRO, you can't ban my CBD Cannibis..

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

exmachina posted:

Americas banking is so backwards lol. I've been able to send money to any domestic account via my bank's website since 1999 and via the app basically since apps were a thing.

Edit: for free

such a backwater how will banker afford their 2nd mistress

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Kerbtree posted:

How is the dollar not already a cbdc, practically speaking? It’s issued by the fed and the things get shunted around without physical money changing hands.

The main thing about a CBDC is that it would be a token that would require no checking in with a central authority every time you're shifting it around, theoretically making it easier for two random individuals to exchange their cyberdollars without a middleman and possibly making it more workable in areas without connectivity to banking systems but still robust internet/phone connectivity.

So it's something that's going to have a staggeringly narrow number of usecases outside of "avoiding taxes."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ups_rail posted:

By laundering money for human traffickers and Russian oligarchs?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Ups_rail posted:

Don't worry they still make squillions due to our insane property market.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1638638729651978241?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
man, i could have sworn that someone named "lil yachty" was giving me hot investment tips out of the goodness of their heart. i am astonished to find that it was a paid endorsement

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

An artist I follow and have bought some nice prints from recently has just emailed announcing they are launching NFTs in April, which is disappointing considering the spiritual nature of a lot of their work.

I'm unsubscribing, what is a useful bit of criticism to put in the box to possibly make them reconsider?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BigHandsVince posted:

An artist I follow and have bought some nice prints from recently has just emailed announcing they are launching NFTs in April, which is disappointing considering the spiritual nature of a lot of their work.

I'm unsubscribing, what is a useful bit of criticism to put in the box to possibly make them reconsider?

If they're a spiritual type? Something about how NFTs (and crypto in general) are destroying the environment and you expected better from them.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Yeah that's what I thought, but isn't Ethereum less bad now or something?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PurpleXVI posted:

The main thing about a CBDC is that it would be a token that would require no checking in with a central authority every time you're shifting it around, theoretically making it easier for two random individuals to exchange their cyberdollars without a middleman and possibly making it more workable in areas without connectivity to banking systems but still robust internet/phone connectivity.

So it's something that's going to have a staggeringly narrow number of usecases outside of "avoiding taxes."
You just described gift cards.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I fell way behind on this thread, but skimming the last page makes me think cryptobros are using the phantom "banking crisis" news surrounding SVB and a couple other institutions to drum up apocalyptic fantasies about the dollar devaluing and scamming harder around that?

I mean, they're always scamming as hard as they can, but am I right that this is the grift du jour?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I fell way behind on this thread, but skimming the last page makes me think cryptobros are using the phantom "banking crisis" news surrounding SVB and a couple other institutions to drum up apocalyptic fantasies about the dollar devaluing and scamming harder around that?

I mean, they're always scamming as hard as they can, but am I right that this is the grift du jour?

Yeah the thing is your average tiktok investor was a literal child the last time interest rates broke 5% and they think it's the end of the world

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

zedprime posted:

You just described gift cards.

Or physical currency, yes.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1638348334996811776

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

LA Times burying the Lede here for people who follow this thread.

quote:

The focus of the SEC charges is Justin Sun, described as a “crypto asset entrepreneur,” who owned a handful of crypto companies, “for the unregistered offer and sale of crypto asset securities Tronix (TRX) and BitTorrent (BTT),” the SEC said in its release.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

"Crypto friendly banks are in crisis."

"banks in crisis" = bad.

That leaves "crypto friendly".

Math checks out.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Crypto friendly banks getting bailed out

It’s basically the last “I am INVEENCABLE” before the hacker guy freezes to death in Goldeneye

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Jim Cramer endorsed both Signature Bank and Silicon Valley Bank recently LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHjDCC6Vigc&t=11s

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

It must have been a decade since the last time I saw a cheque.

I kept the last cheque in my chequebook as a reminder of that ancient relic.

Issued by a North American bank, of course, because who else still does that nonsense nowadays?

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008

Mercury_Storm posted:

Jim Cramer endorsed both Signature Bank and Silicon Valley Bank recently LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHjDCC6Vigc&t=11s

People's obsession with Jim Cramer is bizarre

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

LA Times burying the Lede here for people who follow this thread.

Oh man, his excellency is hosed: https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2023-59

Securities and Exchange Commission posted:

“This case demonstrates again the high risk investors face when crypto asset securities are offered and sold without proper disclosure,” said SEC Chair Gary Gensler. “As alleged, Sun and his companies not only targeted U.S. investors in their unregistered offers and sales, generating millions in illegal proceeds at the expense of investors, but they also coordinated wash trading on an unregistered trading platform to create the misleading appearance of active trading in TRX. Sun further induced investors to purchase TRX and BTT by orchestrating a promotional campaign in which he and his celebrity promoters hid the fact that the celebrities were paid for their tweets.”

You really don't want the head of the SEC making a statement about the various crimes you committed with your unregistered securities

drk
Jan 16, 2005
many gifts today

https://twitter.com/brian_armstrong/status/1638654581436723200

part of our journey in crimes

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

drk posted:

Oh man, his excellency is hosed: https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2023-59

You really don't want the head of the SEC making a statement about the various crimes you committed with your unregistered securities
Right, you want to get out ahead of the SEC by telling Twitter and every journalist you know about the various crimes you discovered and perfected

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
All of a sudden in the middle of crypto rollercoaster has been people thinking that summary judgment = lawsuit over and somehow that ripple isn't going to be declared a security... despite other cryptos facing such a fate.

Starts with this fxstreet article .

With articles like this one from cnbc

and a ghostty style chart that doesn't acknowledge that it basically shows things can go up, down or sideways: https://twitter.com/WatrsAbve/status/1636842468220993537

and hypothetical "got em"'s from cryptobro accounts: https://twitter.com/CryptoLawUS/status/1638204591899566080/

Did divabot ever write about how poo poo ripple is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

kaschei posted:

Right, you want to get out ahead of the SEC by telling Twitter and every journalist you know about the various crimes you discovered and perfected

once a chinese bitcoin exchange ceo publicly posted on twitter about an idea they had where they could possibly get around limits by changing the decimal place in bitcoin transactions and pretend they were for a fraction of the amount