Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Taitale posted:

Rainbow Greens have been trying to get her nzeta revoked for two and a half weeks with literally nothing happening about it until this week after her event in Melbourne got outright nazis turning up. So if they are going to revoke it they are taking their sweet loving time with it.

Plus it sounds like even if she can't enter the country terfs and other alt right types plan on turning up anyway now.

Immigration NZ have announced that they were reviewing it, which is what prompted her to make white supremacist symbols and threaten chippy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The article says "by the end of the week at the very latest", which if it's this Saturday is a little close but

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Lobsterpillar posted:

Immigration NZ have announced that they were reviewing it, which is what prompted her to make white supremacist symbols and threaten chippy.

They announced that yesterday. Only after nazis turned up to support her in Melbourne. Which is exactly what I said.

Again, people have been trying to get Michael Wood to do something about this for 2.5+ weeks. So waiting until less than 5 days before she is meant to enter the country to even review it is very much taking their sweet loving time and they deserve criticism over it. And it's not like the nazi links are new and only started in Melbourne, they are well documented and were included in the open letter the Greens posted weeks ago. Said letter even notes she has ties to the proud boys, who are a designated terrorist org in NZ. Like what the gently caress are they waiting for here?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous that they seemingly just haven't bothered to do anything about it until now.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
It's Labour, they struggle with doing anything if right wing pundits might criticise them. Literal nazis on camera in Australia were required to even consider polling revoking her visa.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Immigration NZ basically shut down when covid started, even for services for people that were already here. Meanwhile they still haven't really come back.

For example upgrading to a permanent resident visa was previously a quick approval, since the main qualification is just whether you've been on a resident status visa for long enough. Think it was previously 3-5 days territory? But even now the median processing time just for that is 52 days - or 5 months for 90th percentile lol

This is probably an area where things would get better under a national government since they like immigrants

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 21, 2023

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

Immigration NZ basically shut down when covid started, even for services for people that were already here. Meanwhile they still haven't really come back.

For example upgrading to a permanent resident visa was previously a quick approval, since the main qualification is just whether you've been on a resident status visa for long enough. Think it was previously 3-5 days territory? But even now the median processing time just for that is 52 days - or 5 months for 90th percentile lol

This is probably an area where things would get better under a national government since they like immigrants

It's being pushed for at a level above that though. If the Minister says a hatemongering transphobe who is associated with an organisation we list as terrorists has her visa revoked then it is gone.

Labour are trying to decide if giving National and ACT a talking point about free speech in an election year is worth as much as the safety of a marginalized community. This is an issue that I am pretty sure we can all agree would not get better under a National government.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Luxon said outright he'd let her in, so you don't even need to wonder!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Content to Hover posted:

Labour are trying to decide if giving National and ACT a talking point about free speech in an election year is worth as much as the safety of a marginalized community. This is an issue that I am pretty sure we can all agree would not get better under a National government.

the focus groups are also out on strike, and labour can't decide until they're back

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hipkins has zero risk tolerance, so he's def not going to do anything that'll give Nat/ACT any ammo

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

Hipkins has zero risk tolerance, so he's def not going to do anything that'll give Nat/ACT any ammo

While I mostly agree I think Stuart Nash still being in cabinet means there is a limit to that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nah that decision is risk aversion too, Nash is key to Labour's relationship with the business community which was presumably deemed a greater risk to lose.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Is there any reason to think they would delay any announcement/action until the last minute deliberately? Give them less time to organise any sort of response? I realise this is giving way too much benefit of the doubt...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This time the liberals won't liberal, I just know it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Is there any reason to think they would delay any announcement/action until the last minute deliberately? Give them less time to organise any sort of response? I realise this is giving way too much benefit of the doubt...

nah, that's the powerstation's trick

which admittedly was a+

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Progressive JPEG posted:

My wife applied from overseas for PR in 2021 thinking it would take like a year (even rang up immigration who said it would take a while) and we got it all done in a month. It was really weird.

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

approximately 3-4 months ago I bet $10 , two separate private bets of $5, that Nats would roll Luxon before the election

feeling good about my odds lately but maybe its just a dip

Missing iPredict rn

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

mweb posted:

approximately 3-4 months ago I bet $10 , two separate private bets of $5, that Nats would roll Luxon before the election

feeling good about my odds lately but maybe its just a dip

Missing iPredict rn

Rolling Luxon would guarantee a loss. Maybe that :10bux: is like a lotto ticket, you lose the money but get to dream happy thoughts until the election.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I reckon national will try to pull an ardern, get Willis in like 2 months before the election.

She seems way smarter to me than luxon but also they aren't trying to appeal to me so maybe they'll stay with luxon because he's a dumbarse.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I dunno if Luxo has the moral capacity to step down in favour of a woman

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Anti-transgender activist Posie Parker to be allowed into New Zealand
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/486489/anti-transgender-activist-posie-parker-to-be-allowed-into-new-zealand

quote:

After reviewing all publicly known information about Ms Keen-Minshull and seeking advice from other agencies we have concluded that there is no reason to believe that she is, or is likely to be, a threat or risk to the public order or public interest.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's a relief, freedom of speech is safe

Imagine how bad it would be if national were in charge!!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Oh for fucks sake.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Pretty sure we have banned rappers for less.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Varkk posted:

Pretty sure we have banned rappers for less.

Banning rappers doesn't upset rich white dudes

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Not surprised in the slightest.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

exmarx posted:

these are examples of vague policy outcomes, not ideological positions.

should transport infrastructure be improved by selling it off to more efficient private operators and letting them set tolls, or by nationalising fulton hogan and downer into a new ministry of works? what does "improving" transport infrastructure mean – making things faster for private vehicles? expanding the range of mode options available to people? should the government incentivise remote communities in tairāwhiti to relocate away from natural hazards so that transport investment can be focused on high-population centres, or does the state have a duty to enable people to keep living on their whenua? how should infrastructure financing be shared between central and local government?

Catching up on the new thread and I've been laughing to myself thinking about how loving cool it would be if they did this

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That sure is a user title youve picked up there

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It was china wasn't it

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Ah this can gently caress right off

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Coming as absolutely no surprise, Labour's celebration of the life of the first transgender mayor and MP is truly on brand.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

That sure is a user title youve picked up there

Yeah I've been busy

Slavvy posted:

It was china wasn't it

I'm not going to rule out the CCCP buying me custom titles but I have to admit it seems unlikely

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

some plague rats posted:

Yeah I've been busy

I'm not going to rule out the CCCP buying me custom titles but I have to admit it seems unlikely

I wish the cccp still existed

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

I wish the cccp still existed

lol wtf my phone autocorrects CCP to CCCP

That could have been confusing

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
my personal opinion about that british freak is that nz should have an extremely high bar for doing border hawk stuff, and more pressure should have been put on venues to cancel instead.

it was insane when inz banned odd future, who probably did have a stronger direct role in causing violence at concerts. on the other hand, those canadian neo-nazis should have been banned bc lauren southern literally helped to try drown refugees.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I don't really think the media is doing anyone any favors by giving her a ton of exposure either

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
well hopefully patrick gower won't do a handjob interview this time

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I think we can sufficiently humiliate her, although a high bars been set by Hobart

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

my personal opinion about that british freak is that nz should have an extremely high bar for doing border hawk stuff, and more pressure should have been put on venues to cancel instead.

is this a weasel way of saying you don't think she should be banned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why is every government so loving poo poo