Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Sorry I’ve been away for a few hours but I probably wasn’t clear. It’s all SAD. The reason all of the feedback threads end up talking about SAD is that SAD is the problem. GBS polices itself pretty well I think but for whatever reason people from other sub forums are enraged at GBS’s existence.

This isn't really true besides the Ukraine thread in any of the feedback threads. Ain't nobody wants to take away our legendary pants making GBS threads forum friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yes. It's not a dread cabal of your posting enemies. Calm the gently caress down.

:ok:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Charles Bukowski posted:

This isn't really true besides the Ukraine thread in any of the feedback threads. Ain't nobody wants to take away our legendary pants making GBS threads forum friend.

That’s not what I said though? I said they’re mad that it exists, I didn’t say anyone was trying to end it. I saw someone else say the other day that they think TFR should be removed because they personally don’t like guns, I think that’s stupid too.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

syntaxfunction posted:

The forums used to be better, we had proper punctuation and less poo poo posting! And also famously said a lot of poo poo that would get you banned now. But no, I am definitely nostalgic for the punctuation part.

The forums used to be better, we had properly spelled shitposting. What could get you banned now could get you banned even then. But yes, I am absolutely nostalgic for making you worthless fuckwads punctuate.

Edit: smorgwart and norner for mods!

XeeD fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 22, 2023

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
They are wrong of course I've seen the posts

I could not believe my eyes when there was serious discussion about how awful the blood lust is in the OSHA thread

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

That’s not what I said though? I said they’re mad that it exists, I didn’t say anyone was trying to end it. I saw someone else say the other day that they think TFR should be removed because they personally don’t like guns, I think that’s stupid too.

Ooh, I've used TFR in hyperbolic examples before, maybe it was me!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Oh dammit
Pricks blanked my Sa Mart thread ad

Imagine getting so pissed at me to spend money to say they should ban me

Sure let's take it down to 48 women from 49

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Charles Bukowski posted:

Also the reason we’re even having this conversation is because of what went down with the Ukraine thread and then the Sagas thread in PYF, all caused by non-GBS posters who also happen to be QCS/SAD regulars so to say they’re not connected is flat out wrong.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

syntaxfunction posted:

Ooh, I've used TFR in hyperbolic examples before, maybe it was me!

It may have been, if you were being hyperbolic then I apologize for not catching it.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yes. It's not a dread cabal of your posting enemies. Calm the gently caress down.

🤔🤔🤔

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Yup

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

SAD is already as lame as QCS. already has a bunch of regulars who post there all day every day lol.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Rape jokes are ok when it’s Larry is an actual argument in there. Gosh, a mod getting threatening emails? What fun! Just a josh bro nbd.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Also the reason we’re even having this conversation is because of what went down with the Ukraine thread and then the Sagas thread in PYF, all caused by non-GBS posters who also happen to be QCS/SAD regulars so to say they’re not connected is flat out wrong.

Now it's my turn to say that's not what I said, take that! In seriousness, yeah I know, I also posted in the sagas thread. I also post here. I am the anecdotal evidence that I criticize gbs while also being a gbs poster. And a byob poster. I don't want a war topic in my shitposting subforum. I don't want to see lots of funny people probated in said war thread because the mod/IK and its regulars want it to be taken seriously and moderated in a way unlike the rest of the subforum. I caught my first real probation there for shitposting there in 18 Years. Take it to D&D.

I'm also not going to call anyone a slur about it or threaten SA employees because that's what crazy people do and get rightfully punished for it. Let's chill the gently caress out friends. I just got this bong and I can load it with ice, it's loving sweet. Free ice tokes if you drop on by.

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 22, 2023

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Does anyone write moderator fanfiction

The answer is apparently no. But I'm gonna get high as gently caress tonight and make the answer yes :twisted:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
drat you all post a lot when I'm gone. Since a lot of this is conversation, I'm only going to respond to salient points of feedback.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

aside from the post above yours, all the SAD posts are commentary on GBS interacting with SAD on rules and policy, and how they feel they can't post in SAD (which some mods have told posters to do). i think it's on topic, as long as it doesn't turn into a crying fest on SAD and brigading or w/e dumb poo poo

Tarquinn's right, but the rest of the thread feels like it started to turn into a general SAD commentary. If you want to talk about SAD and GBS, do it. If you want to talk about SAD in general, I would post a thread there or take it up with an admin. There's nothing we can do here about it.

Karma Comedian posted:

I'm a fan of monthly (or up to) quarterly feedback threads myself. I think it's important to be able to address subforum issues in a timely manner, and I also appreciate the opportunity to give out and take in feedback about the mods and our performance.

That's my feedback about feedback threads.

Thanks KC! I'm debating whether to have this a rolling thread or quarterly. At the moment it doesn't seem too bad as a rolling thread, but time will tell.

Piss Creep posted:

I'd like to be able to block threads the same way we can block users

I hate seeing that dogshit Ukraine thread.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I would also like to be able to ignore threads. Some might bother me or hit too close to home, some I might just be tired of seeing on the first page of any particular subforum at any time. Something you could skim through in the options to unhide or reset the blocked threads filter if you wanted it all to come back?

It's an interesting request. I'd post it in the tech forum; this is astral's domain and he'd know much more than I do about the feasibility of whether this could even be implemented. If you're worried about it, the tech forum is way different than SAD and tends to be chill (the Massacre at IZ Flags not withstanding)

Bad Purchase posted:

mods should stop soliciting feedback here or in SAD and just do the best they can with their own judgement

either you’re good at the job or you’re not, there’s no upside to listening to the deranged who spend their free time theorycrafting new reasons to ban people and a lot of downside

thank you for considering this important feedback, oh and please ban anyone who is not enthusiastic toward olives

I know you're being facetious but I'll take it in good faith and disagree with this. I think it's important to listen to users. I know one complaint has been that we come from on high and act holier than thou, which I hope isn't the impression we give off here in GBS. I shitpost as bad as the rest of you, or worse most times

Also the olives request is good feedback we'll implement that in the rules

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Can we discourage people from posting "Sorry for the snipe"? Don't really need probes, but I think we've figured out that every post that's divisible by 40 + 1 is a new page, and no one cares.

Sniping is a proud tradition here in GBS and it stays. Back long ago, during the Dark Era of Proper Punctuation, it was illegal. It was not fun and didn't foster a good sense of community. Plus it's kinda fun to see if you're able to snipe without posting seven times like Nooner did after you

bagmonkey posted:

Mods can you let GBS have a little light file sharing, as a treat? Maybe it'll help attract new posters

You're free to post files that are public, such as freeware or abandonware, or ones that are licensed under Creative Commons. Just no ones under copyright or anything that'll sic lawyers on Jeff because I'm not sure he'd be happy about that and then he wouldn't be happy with me and it'd be a whole thing

bagmonkey posted:

Can we, as a forum, take a collective stance that piss IS stored in the balls?

I take no sides in this debate, as whatever side I come down on people will flock to (or against). This is for the forum to decide. VOX POPULI VOX DEI

bagmonkey posted:

Create "The Really Proper Posting Forum for Angry Gen Xers" and we'll call it even

There's a forum for RSF suggestions! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026662 You could post that suggestion there and maybe they'll take it up :)

Smugworth posted:

Just wanna make sure you've seen these comments.
The people are crying for representation Seth, let's form a new future for GBS!

I have seen them, and there's now a thread for you in the mod forum (it is not the thread you think)!!!

i think we need less moderation but more iks. precision guided munitions instead of carpet bombing

More IKs should be on the docket, I agree. That's something we'll take back from this and we'll start looking at suitable IK candidates.

MrQwerty posted:

2023 GBS is pretty fuckin tame compared to 1999 GBS, the idea that GBS needs more moderation, especially mods from other forums (specifically forums that don't like GBS) is just loving outrageous.

BUT PEOPLE IN THE UKRAINE THREAD POSTED THAT THEY GOT BONERS OVER GORE when dude posted he had a boner over a story about a Eurofighter overflying an airshow, straight up goon telephone to the max, and it's really not ok.

I don't post in FYAD and have no intent to, but I'm understanding what FYAD went through when it got closed down now, just 10-20 people shouting real loud about poo poo that wasn't real.

The feedback that I'm getting is that GBS moderation is pretty okay all things considered, we just need some tweaks here and there.

I think what we need to do is not get worked up over the people in SAD calling for GBS people's heads. I'm dealing with a lot of it in the background, as much as I can. I get people's sentiments but it's starting to dominate this thread.

You are the weakest link, goodbye!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Sorry I’ve been away for a few hours but I probably wasn’t clear. It’s all SAD. The reason all of the feedback threads end up talking about SAD is that SAD is the problem. GBS polices itself pretty well I think but for whatever reason people from other sub forums are enraged at GBS’s existence.

People have been enraged at GBS's existence since the dawn of the forums. The great GBS-FYAD wars of years ago still resonate today. While we're in an uneasy truce now, it's still a truce, and there's still peace. But there will always be breakaway factions that don't like the peace and want to hate on GBS. Let them. The fact is they want to be in the peanut gallery while you all are posting in the trenches.

XeeD posted:

The forums used to be better, we had properly spelled shitposting. What could get you banned now could get you banned even then. But yes, I am absolutely nostalgic for making you worthless fuckwads punctuate.

we will never punctuate again

feel free to do so yourself but this will never be a rule. That era is dead; let the corpse rest in peace

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Two things, Seth.

First, I think your feedback thread is largely done cooking for now.

Second, don't insult Sid you jerk :mad:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I have seen them, and there's now a thread for you in the mod forum (it is not the thread you think)!!!

Ominous af. Praying for our good friend smugworth.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lol Spinz got probated again because gbs SAD hates women

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Two things, Seth.

First, I think your feedback thread is largely done cooking for now.

Second, don't insult Sid you jerk :mad:

1: leave this thread open in perpetuity imo. why close it?
2: i'm glad to see sid posting again :3:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

XeeD posted:

You absolutely could if you knew how the apostrophe worked. Shitposting is ruining everything everywhere. All at once; the awesomest place on the internet got hosed up.

Im' sorry I do'nt kno'w how to use the'm p'lease for'give me
That was a pain in the rear end to write on my phone i hope yo'ure happy!!!!

Also I dunno if you've seen the rest of the internet but hosed up doesn't even start to describe it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nooner posted:

Lol Spinz got probated again because gbs SAD hates women

I just went in there and defended her, ban and doxxing incoming

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

1: leave this thread open in perpetuity imo. why close it?
2: i'm glad to see sid posting again :3:

Oh I didn't mean close it, I'm just saying we've reached the point where there'll be nothing productive to work with for a bit lol

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001

Dixville posted:

Im' sorry I do'nt kno'w how to use the'm p'lease for'give me
That was a pain in the rear end to write on my phone i hope yo'ure happy!!!!

Also I dunno if you've seen the rest of the internet but hosed up doesn't even start to describe it
You're almost there, friend. More apostro'phes yet! M'o'r'e'!

My point was we used to be the good part of the internet without the AOLspeak bullshit. We were once a proud bastion of smart in a sea of dumb. What the gently caress happened?

Edit! Norner and sugwoth for admins!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Ominous af. Praying for our good friend smugworth.

Don't worry about me bro. I'm just a simple man of the posters. The mods can't possibly strike me down because they know in their hearts I only have the love of the posters in mine.

Don't forget to show up to the polls and vote Smugworth for moderator.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

XeeD posted:

You're almost there, friend. More apostro'phes yet! M'o'r'e'!

My point was we used to be the good part of the internet without the AOLspeak bullshit. We were once a proud bastion of smart in a sea of dumb. What the gently caress happened?

you started posting

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
I’m gonna use a punctuation and you can’t stop me.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Well known bastion of intelligence: The website on the internet with the motto "The Internet Makes You Stupid"

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001

Space Kablooey posted:

you started posting

Maybe. I think I registered somewhere around when Neener saved us from the world trade centers melting steel smogwrath's. Its all been downhill since then, but I'm not sure its directly my fault.

Nuumer and smorgwuth for mods!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I read 3 random pages of this thread and they were all about the c*** word.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Pennywise the Frown posted:

aw man those were the days

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Tacklin' issues just as the GOP wanted.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

oval office is very important to me :colbert:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The more people misspell Smugworth's name, the closer I get to modship.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I just went in there and defended her, ban and doxxing incoming

Yeah same

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001

Slugworth posted:

The more people misspell Smugworth's name, the closer I get to modship.

I'm right there for you, Slugwad! Smushworf and Neiner and Slugwaf for admins!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'm struggling with how to say this, but this is getting very close to brigading SAD, which is the same sort of complaint you've all had about them. I'm going to warn you not to do that. If you have a legitimate gripe, then post it while following the rules. I don't care to hear the whole "well they don't follow it why should we" poo poo

This thread is getting way off track and I'm going to stop warning here soon on it. Knock it off.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

change the thread title to GBS Invasion Brigade Recruiting Station

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I want to be a lieutenant but you gotta say it LEFTenant like the limeys do cause it sounds funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Does anyone write moderator fanfiction

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The answer is apparently no. But I'm gonna get high as gently caress tonight and make the answer yes :twisted:

The House

Seth leaned back in his computer chair as he let out another sigh. He’d been doing that a lot lately, he thought. Best not let the other mods catch him doing that, it’d be bad for morale and even worse for his reputation. Seth’s melancholy had increased since his boss had forced the whole moderation team into living and working together, it would be the era of Hardcore Modding.

“We’ll call it Mod House,” Jeffrey of YOSPOS had proclaimed. “Or Moody Hoes, as I like to call it because I loving hate all of you.”

Seth forced his mind back to the present so he wouldn’t be miserable. This was supposed to be the best part of the day, when Captain Sarcastic would be out of the drat house running errands and Infidel Castro was still sleeping off his night shift. Seth still couldn’t believe he’d gotten stuck with sharing the same room with these two. Still, it was better than splitting a room with Genesplicer.

“Good morning, Seth” cried an energetic voice from the open entryway, now doorless since the last time Jeffrey had visited Mod House.

Oh god, thought Seth. Why the gently caress is he back so soon.

“Mornin’ Captain,” Seth replied.

“Picked up our meal allotment of Quaker Oats and nonfat Milk at the store,” said Captain. “So did you take care of the thing?”

Seth had no idea what the hell he was talking about, but figured that the less time spent talking to Captain, the better, so he simply grunted in response. Seth had been in the middle of typing some long reply in the GBS feedback thread which obviously no one would read, but he knew he had to do just enough so he wouldn’t rank in the bottom 20% of moderators. The whole house would do a quarterly review at the local Denny’s, and the bottom performers had to pay for everyone else while not getting any food for themselves. Jeffrey would often refer to mods “earning their Denny’s” when they performed their duties well.

The sound of an alarm pierced the air and Infidel Castro’s chunky hand waved in the air, struggling to find the off button on his clock. Seth paused, wondering why Infidel would be waking up right now after only two hours of sleep.
“So did you take care of the thing?” Infidel mumbled at Seth.

“Of course he didn’t, Seth wants to get torn a new one. Never knew how much a masochist he was before Mod House,” said Captain in reply, and gave a small chuckle. His face quickly turned serious as he turned to Seth.

“But…you did right? Do the thing?”

Seth was now in full panic mode. What the hell could these two morons know about that I don’t, he asked himself. He quickly opened his email. Nothing unread in the inbox.

Oh no. Seth cringed as he scrolled the browser window down. New message in the Spam folder today. Seth had previously set all incoming emails from Wintertime to be marked as Spam. They were always the same anyway. Dear Moderator Pecksniff, Mr. YOSPOS has expressed how deeply disappointed he has been in GBS lately and blah blah blah. Seth quickly brought up the email from the administrative assistant.

“Oh poo poo, oh gently caress”, cried Seth in despair. “Why… why didn’t you guys tell me! Wait, I can… I can still fix this.”

The faces of his roommate-coworkers slow motion fell in absolute terror as Seth began to bring up the moderation tools in his Microsoft Edge browser. The cursor on screen shivered like a chihuahua, reflecting Seth’s right hand on his mouse as he struggled to find the correct forum thread. “It's okay, there’s still time. I’m gonna do it guys, don’t worry, I can earn my Denny’s.”

The hope of the three evaporated as they heard the familiar roar of a certain Hummer X3 peel into the driveway. The front door of Mod House flew open with a resounding crash, the sound of the highest quality imported Crocs slapping on the wood floor approached the GBS mod room. As usual, they could smell him before laying eyes upon the abhorrent Jeffrey of YOSPOS. A pungent mix of the sea and ranch flavored Corn Nuts filled the dusty air of Mod House. The website owner’s tremendous frame then filled the entryway.

“Hello, moderators.” Jeffrey’s nasally voice stabbed their ears. “Good to see you Seth, I have a special gift just for you.”

He revealed a plastic wrapped Goldbelly cookie and shoved it onto Seth’s chest.

“Go on,” said Jeffrey. “Eat it.”

The wrapping made crinkly noises as Seth began to unpack the cookie.

“No” said Jeffrey of YOSPOS with a shake of his head. “I said, eat it.”

Seth slowly used his teeth to tear into both the plastic wrapping and the cookie, managing to get in a whole bite without choking. He had to admit, it was still better than eating the same old oats at Mod House every day.

Jeffrey pulled Infidel’s desk chair towards himself and sat down, crossing his legs. “I was having the nicest time in Malta just before now,” said the website owner. “They have these delicious sea turtles, the ones with the soft shells so you can just pluck them right out of the ocean from your yacht and take a bite.” Jeffrey continued, turning to Captain. “Tortugas, I think they call them, right Captain?”

Captain Sarcastic had no loving idea but enthusiastically nodded his head anyway. “Sure,” he said. “I can double check the internet right now, we’ll all find out together!”

Captain turned to his workstation and switched on the monitor.

“Is that what I think it is?” said Jeffrey, now staring at the website showing on Captain’s monitor. “Did you just show me the forums?” His voice now raised with fury. “You all know I hate looking at the loving forums.”

Jeffrey quickly stood and picked up Captain with both hands and rammed him headfirst into the now shattered monitor. The other two moderators swiftly clicked the minimize button on their browsers while Jeffrey was distracted.

“Now then,” Jeffrey continued, once again having a seat. “You can see why I might be annoyed at having to come to Mod House when I was having such a good time eating tortugas overseas. But there is a certain matter that needs to be cleared up, and apparently an email was not enough to do so.”

Seth’s stomach began to feel seriously ill and he was fairly sure it wasn’t from seeing Captain’s bloodied form lying on the floor.

“It’s this epic nom name, or whatever, poster. Wintertime tells me he is an embarrassment to the forums as a whole. He needs to be banned. Hell, I’m told that I should be personally embarrassed that he still gets to post at all. Estamos embarazados, right Infidel?”

Infidel Castro was definitely sure that was not correct, but no way was he going to say anything to his boss.

“And now, Astral tells me you’ve been exchanging friendly private messages with this poster?” Jeffrey glared at Seth. “I gave you another chance after your cringe QCS anime post and this is how you repay me?”

Seth’s vision was extremely blurred, he could barely make out anything in the room. “I…I can explain Mr. YOSPOS. I’ve been busy, see? I’ve got 5 Jeffrey Dahmer alts queued up for permas. Nom Epique was next on my to-do list I swear.” Seth slurred and in his confusion brought up his Edge browser to show Jeffrey.

“The FORUMS!” roared the owner of Something Awful.

Infidel Castro instantly pissed himself and fled the room. The surroundings began to spin for Seth Pecksniff and he collapsed hard onto the floor, the poisoned half eaten Goldbelly cookie rolling away from his left hand. He looked up and saw Jeffrey staring back at him, a single tear falling from the admin’s eye.

“You were supposed to be the next Huge Gross Burrito,” said Jeffrey of YOSPOS with a sad grin. “Not another Abe.”

Seth’s eyes spasmed and rolled towards the hallway. He thought he saw something nice out there waiting for him, something shining, extravagant and beautiful.

“My…moons,” uttered Seth Pecksniff with his last breath, hand outstretched towards the hall. “Moons… over my hammy…”

Epilogue:
Newly appointed GBS mod Smugworth was tired of how all the other mods mocked him about the disgusting state of his room. Fine, he thought. I’ll clean up just this once.

Smugworth leaned down and saw what apparently was the remains of an expensive artisanal cookie. Huh, he thought with a hungry smile. Sometimes things just work out.