Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Code Flip10 for $10 off the new Retroid from 22-25th. Not huge but I’m sure one of y’all will get the flippy machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d like to see how strong that hinge is before I consider it. How well does the Retroid 3+ run N64 and Saturn? My 353M is kinda spotty with Saturn but is bad at N64

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

MarcusSA posted:

I placed my order as soon as I saw the link and I still don’t have a shipping notification.

I placed mine on Feb 26th, and I figured out where the tracking works. Looks like it's working it's way through Shenzen.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Something in a recent update of Amberelec is has enhanced PSP performance a bit. Dariusburst used to stutter and run poorly with enhancements enabled, now it works at a highly consistent framerate, excepting the load screens between levels. Lumines is also totally smooth now, versus slightly jittery and slow. Both tested with Frameskip 1. Maybe consider trying a few PSP games again if you have that family of systems. Big 3D stuff still won't work though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zzMisc posted:

You can get the Play Store set up on the Android side of the 353 devices if you want to, yes.

Thanks for the info! Might just hold off then tbh. I still have the Kishi for when I want to play something serious on my phone which is almost never.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pbpancho posted:

I placed mine on Feb 26th, and I figured out where the tracking works. Looks like it's working it's way through Shenzen.

Mine was on the 23rd but maybe the color is what’s taking longer. I got the transparent black

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
the hinged screen design on the retroid flip makes the button area just look a bit.. spartan to me. like a DS without the second screen. seems kinda chonky too. i guess the clamshell is nice if you actually want to put it in your pocket and not get the screen scuffed up.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

A second screen could go there, or A loving KEYBOARD

I may be the only person in the world who wants what is basically a pocket chromebook with gpd win style controls, but I won't shut up until I get it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Time to repurpose those old Blackberry keyboards!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

flavor.flv posted:

A second screen could go there, or A loving KEYBOARD

I may be the only person in the world who wants what is basically a pocket chromebook with gpd win style controls, but I won't shut up until I get it

I am a huge fan of miniature laptops. My first one was a 7“ Toshiba Libretto 110. My current miniature notebook of choice is a iPad mini 4 with a hinged keyboard case. (I don't think there is hinged keyboard case for later iPad mini.) Yes I would love a 7" - 8" Chromebook, make the screen super wide.

Although I think 7" is too big for retro gaming.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I had a Sony Clie when I was a kid lol. My favorite toys were things like organizers.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

cmdrk posted:

seems kinda chonky too.

Definitely - the thing is already thick before even considering the additional thickness where the triggers are.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Borderline a review, but insider info on the development of the Pocket 3+.
Thought you guys might like it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kIhprWYLQs

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah GPD has the right idea but the price points are absurd.

Also clurple should be standard for all retro hand heads.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

There's a certain something to having just the 280v to work with so I can hyperfixate on exploring its capability and optimizations. In the last couple days I've:
  • Learned Simplemenu's limitations and how to work around them to actually get launchable shortcuts for the Cave Story and OutRun cores
  • Discovered ScummVM hosts official up-to-date GCW0 builds on their website and managed to horribly break everything by trying to use one of those (turns out they're not built for simplemenu integration or a dual SD setup by default)
  • Re-flashed the firmware, updated OpenDingux to a new cherry-picked experimental commit, downloaded an OD toolchain, and compiled a custom ScummVM that doesn't break things and seems to have finally fixed the issue it's had with randomly blackscreening
  • Discovered ScummVM supports Hyperspace Delivery Boy and Little Big Adventure these days, somehow. The latter works great on 280v, the former not so much
  • Discovered the Japan-exclusive FM-TOWNS release of Loom is the closest to a definitive edition, having VGA graphics without taking an axe to the dialogue and character closeups (sadly no voices)
Mostly adventures in ScummVM this week.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 22, 2023

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

hatty posted:

I’d like to see how strong that hinge is before I consider it. How well does the Retroid 3+ run N64 and Saturn? My 353M is kinda spotty with Saturn but is bad at N64

I've had mixed luck with 3+ and Yaba Sanshiro 2. It sounds like Saturn on Android isn't great but RetroArch has cores but I try not to deal with that and might be better. Games have either been playable with a few graphical glitches in the backgrounds or they stutter and freeze/crash after a few minutes. But the majority I've tried have been okay. If there is a specific game you are curious about I can try it out.

Dolphin MMJR is working best for me. Vulkan on the other two versions worked well but Double Dash had a dark blue filter during the race (but the graphic overlays looked normal). Turning down the emulated CPU speed got rid of some graphical glitches in other games so mostly happy. Copying over memory card files from one to the other version worked just fine. I've checked the community spreadsheets for 3+ games but it never really matches performance which is frustrating.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RG404 impressions are going up today, ETA's here, Russ said last night his should be up later. Looks surprisingly nice but that 4:3 screen just feels like unnecessarily kneecapping the thing since you then can't really use it for streaming or PSP stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VoaXcqR_dI

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am waiting for direct comparison between this RG404m (405m???) vs RP3+. I really like the industrial design of the aesthetic. It's not on sale yet.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
4:3 screens are cool. If only they didn’t mess with the stick placement or else I’d be all over this one

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Whole lotta drama today continuing with this Yaki Udon fellow. I like the Retroid and used his videos, but dude seems to be drama queen.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Mokotow posted:

Whole lotta drama today continuing with this Yaki Udon fellow. I like the Retroid and used his videos, but dude seems to be drama queen.

What happened? Is he untrustworthy?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I wouldn’t say untrustworthy, no. But he was involved in the RP3+ development process, possibly as a consultant, but now also claims he might have been an investor. He spent the last two days critiquing the Retroid people for still selling the console with pirated games in China which he told them not to do (which is a fair point) but is also now saying there are ways of speeding up the device via configuration which he won’t share with the community because reasons. Both his relationship with Retroid and his current media blitz result in a lot of noise.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
He seems like he’s unwell

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Yeah that all sounds very messy. Thanks for the recap! I pretty much only watch Russ’s reviews these days, he seems like a decent dude.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
In his older videos he already came off as "too slick." Like somebody who rather be making vlogs instead of nerdy console videos. :shrug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Putting up a video saying "I made this", with "this is not clickbait" in the first ten seconds of it and then the video is basically "they asked me if i liked this", sure is something

He's generally a huge yesman to begin with and outright wrong a lot of the time

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

remigious posted:

Yeah that all sounds very messy. Thanks for the recap! I pretty much only watch Russ’s reviews these days, he seems like a decent dude.

Yeah I like Russ because he’s super chill and doesn’t do stupid clickbait poo poo

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It’s not retro gaming if there isn’t drama.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Taki Udon is a garden variety Ideas Guy who thinks he's absolutely indispensable to all of these companies (he's claimed to be deeply involved with just about everyone except Powkiddy at this point, and has gotten in big public one-sided fights with all of them) and has shifted hard into blatant clickbait. It's been kind of embarrassing to watch.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
He should pet his cat more. That’s usually the problem.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I agree that if taki udon ever touched pussy he wouldn't be like that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

He does have a kid.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MarcusSA posted:

He does have a kid.

that kid has a name. it's called retroid pocket 3+

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MarcusSA posted:

He does have a kid.

I made this.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 26, 2023

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I'm thinking of getting a RP3+ as my first handheld retro console. Is the case from Retroid good? What about the grips you can slide it into?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

gariig posted:

I'm thinking of getting a RP3+ as my first handheld retro console. Is the case from Retroid good? What about the grips you can slide it into?

The case that came with the first batches is awful and I threw mine away. It was like 4x as thick as the console and didn't even house it well. I have seen people post theirs since and I think they made massive improvements, like something that actually looks designed for the thing.

As for the grips, people on reddit like them. I've never needed one and it would kinda ruin the case idea.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

gariig posted:

The case I got with mine in January seemed nice but doesn't fit the grip. You can get a Switch Lite case and that should fit the RP3+ and grip just fine. The RP3+ is a pretty solid choice all around as well as far as capabilities versus cost goes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yeah my Keepretro order finally shipped.

Hopefully I have the Mini+ by the end of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Had a bit of a poo poo weekend so I thought “gently caress it” and ordered an RP3+ from goretroid - we’ll see how long the euro delivery to Poland takes.

I’ve had my RP2+ for a year now and RP2 for six months earlier and while I don’t think I’ve ever used them to their capabilities, the last year with the RP2+ has been a blast, mostly doing SNES RPGs and early PSX stuff.

Too bad the orange case was out, but honestly care little about the color.