Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

image not loading.

oh goodness, i only have one photo of the dear so far, and she's still pretty shell-shocked, so no reposts please

such a dear :3:

e: meet esperanza tech thread, say hi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

oh goodness, i only have one photo of the dear so far, and she's still pretty shell-shocked, so no reposts please

esperanza is a beautiful catte

hope to see more of her over at catplace: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3201527&perpage=40&pagenumber=7284#pti13

matti
Mar 31, 2019

thats an album cover if i ever saw one

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

:3:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

git apologist posted:

one love homie, hope you make it through

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
look at that goode catte :3:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
my company mostly used coworking spaces which they promptly moved out of when the pandemic hit and went full remote so in that respect i've got a fairly decent setup going on.

the work is really very dull though. no family here because lol at the idea that i'd find anybody who'd want to put up with my bullshit on the daily and beyond paying way too much in rent in boston my hobbies and expenditures are basically nil. saving close to half my monthly paycheck. maybe some day i'll figure out what to do with the saved money, perhaps i'll buy a place to live once things become a little clearer wrt the long term viability of remote work. i'm kind of an optimist because they allowed that genie to float around outside the bottle for almost three whole years and they're going to have a hard time stuffing it back in long term now that people have gotten properly used to it. the minute the job market heats up again people are going to ditch in-office jobs like a radon-flooded basement. well, that's the hope anyway, idk if i want to take a ~$500k bet on that one way or the other right now.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

oh man good cat

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

:3:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
in spite of bubble exploding I’m going to look around soon as I will hit 4 years in a few months and I’m bored with the subject.

but it’s looking like what I designed might be wildly successful so I’ll stick around long enough to get some hard numbers.

been full work from home for 3 years now and hope to find another.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

4lokos basilisk posted:

ok i stand corrected i guess.

so my impression was that the only reason someone would put up with sf bay area cost of living and commutes is that you would be making deece enough figgies to basically keep 1/3 or more of your take home as pure savings. and leading from that assumption i also thought that a median computertoucher would be fine coasting on their savings for 1 year or more if there is also severance on top of that.

also you have to factor in that everyone says they will be the guy who doesn’t succumb to lifestyle inflation and live like they did when they made 35k, but then they buy a decent table saw or a nice bottle of wine or do that first overseas holiday where they stay in a hotel instead of backpacking then all of a sudden they ‘can’t live’ on less than 250k. most people spend their money.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

also you have to factor in that everyone says they will be the guy who doesn’t succumb to lifestyle inflation and live like they did when they made 35k, but then they buy a decent table saw or a nice bottle of wine or do that first overseas holiday where they stay in a hotel instead of backpacking then all of a sudden they ‘can’t live’ on less than 250k. most people spend their money.

im making double what i was making 5 years ago and my total expenses have gone up about 10%. u can do it too

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

don't spend money

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i feel so much less bad about buying that stupid car than i do about the 63 amazon orders i placed between june 2020 and may 2021

i was down bad for prime

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

i legit have no idea how people spend their full six and a half figgies. like i just took nearly a full month vacation overseas, staying at nice hotels only to come back to my yearly bonus being deposited into my account and covering the whole thing and then some. i’ve been steadily saving up money literally in spite of my best efforts

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
walk through a tech major parking lot and count the supercars

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AnoHito posted:

i legit have no idea how people spend their full six and a half figgies. like i just took nearly a full month vacation overseas, staying at nice hotels only to come back to my yearly bonus being deposited into my account and covering the whole thing and then some. i’ve been steadily saving up money literally in spite of my best efforts

do you have a nice car?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you buy a nice car instead of a tesla you save even more money

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

but yeah i get what you mean in a sense. other than buying a home, i think i would be literally unable to spend all my money at this point. i could throw out all the landlords stuff and buy luxury appliances and all new furniture and an even fancier computer or whatever, and i'd still be saving money. i guess at that point to spend it all i'd need to start eating out at extremely fancy restaurants multiple times a week and going to weird boutique exercise classes and hiring a personal trainer or something idk. i have a friend here who spends more on pilates classes than i do on rent. that kind of thing

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

fart simpson posted:

do you have a nice car?

i have a decent one that i bought new, straight cash, as a sort of power move.

fart simpson posted:

but yeah i get what you mean in a sense. other than buying a home, i think i would be literally unable to spend all my money at this point. i could throw out all the landlords stuff and buy luxury appliances and all new furniture and an even fancier computer or whatever, and i'd still be saving money. i guess at that point to spend it all i'd need to start eating out at extremely fancy restaurants multiple times a week and going to weird boutique exercise classes and hiring a personal trainer or something idk. i have a friend here who spends more on pilates classes than i do on rent. that kind of thing

that sounds exhausting...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
eschaton was telling me about the dude w porsches in all primary colors iirc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AnoHito posted:

i have a decent one that i bought new, straight cash, as a sort of power move.

go to the bizarrely expensive pilates class i guess then

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

fart simpson posted:

go to the bizarrely expensive pilates class i guess then

sadly, i prefer my run-down boxing gym full of suspicious characters with hearts of gold :shrug:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

AnoHito posted:

you could always try getting into hard drugs or gambling

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

sat on my keys! posted:

you could always try getting into hard drugs or gambling

don’t forget sex work!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
or pay someone else's rent, or donate to a foodbank, or something useful like that.

or just take it out in cash every month, put it in a barrel, and light it on fire

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 22, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

with Bay Area real estate it seems like it’d be trivial to spend any tech paycheck up to what the vp level?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

oh yeah gambling is a good one. a bunch of pro athletes have lost 9 figures on gambling

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks y'all

except the guy who thinks it's funny that people have dependents' expenses they don't discuss on public forums. that's pretty weak.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Jonny 290 posted:

i was down bad for prime

i have been too but all the sudden prime is 6 day shipping when I'm literally in a town with a 15 year old amazon office and only 100mi away is inside the bay area same day shipping bubble

maybe that will get me off it, gotta stop buying vintage japanese car parts

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

matti posted:

thats an album cover if i ever saw one

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

AnoHito posted:

Not budgeting plus expensive tastes is a recipe for burning through cash like crazy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
looooots of them are chucking $900 a month at a car payment. sometimes they got another one runnin for $700 or w/e

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and they all got their financing a couple years ago when audi came on their knees with a 1.2% rate

so they'll either have to chuck even more at the note next car, or downgrade, and well, lol

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I spend even less money than when I was poor. I've become one of those FIRE weirdos.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

it's weird seeing (basically) your salary being used as an example of poverty wage who can only affort to go backpacking on vacation

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Wheany posted:

it's weird seeing (basically) your salary being used as an example of poverty wage who can only affort to go backpacking on vacation

what it like not being able to afford a nice bottle of wine?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

fart simpson posted:

what it like not being able to afford a nice bottle of wine?

luckily kilju is pretty affordable

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
well yeah I was talking about AUD to be fair which is about $12.40 in euro I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

AnoHito posted:

it's called having kids op. 5 days a week full day costs like £2000 a month, this is basically the same as a large (pre rate rise!) mortgage.

before that though, same. though more through luck than skill.