Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was also a whole thing where while Captain Marvel says Shazam to transform because it's both the name of the wizard that gave him his powers (and also an acronym), one of his associated supporting cast was Captain Marvel Junior who says "Captain Marvel" to transform because he gets his powers from Captain Marvel. The Brave and the Bold cartoon got into some of the classic Captain Marvel stuff.

Famously Captain Marvel Jr was incapable of saying his own name cause he would transform after saying the first part. When he was part of the Teen Titans his inability to introduce himself led him to just go by CMJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Captain Marvel is also hilarious. I loved the gag in the first Shazam movie where Billy is discovering his powers, and at one point his friend convinces him that he's invisible, and then in the notes showing the tests they've been doing like super strength and speed, he adds "Secret test: Super intelligence. He does not have that."

he has the wisdom of Socrates or Solomon correct? also the innocence of a child at literal heart. which is imo an important pov for the league not to go all Lordy.

like the JLU episode has bats and some villain say they like Cap Marv because he's "sunny" and a bigger boy scout than Supes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

he has the wisdom of Socrates or Solomon correct? also the innocence of a child at literal heart. which is imo an important pov for the league not to go all Lordy.

Solomon. All the letters are for gods (I can't remember all off the top of the dome except for the M is the speed of Mercury and the Z is obviously Zeus)... and also Solomon. Which was always a weird exception I thought but tbf the creator probably thought of the acronym and powers first and didn't care about some nerd 80 years later overthinking it.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 20, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Solomon. All the letters are for gods (I can't remember all off the top of the dome except for the M is the speed of Mercury and the Z is obviously Zeus)... and also Solomon. Which was always a weird exception I thought but tbf the creator probably thought of the acronym and powers first and didn't care about some nerd 80 years later overthinking it.

Solomon, Wisdom
Hercules, Strength
Achilles, Courage
Zeus, Power
Atlas, Stamina
Mercury, Speed

Wisdom usually just meant that he had an intuitive understanding about magic, not Fate or Zatanna levels, but decently above most heroes (which is typically nil though)
Mary Marvel and Black Adam each had their own variants. The former using all female deities/figures and the latter using Egyptian ones.

Edit: it's Egyptian for Black Adam, and those have been retconned out more or less.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 21, 2023

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Someone over on /co/ leaked a bunch of stuff regarding a new Fairly Odd Parents cartoon that's in development, including a series bible, an episode script, and even a short snippet of animation

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Someone over on /co/ leaked a bunch of stuff regarding a new Fairly Odd Parents cartoon that's in development, including a series bible, an episode script, and even a short snippet of animation

On one hand I'm surprised after they're going back to that well after their last FOP thing flopped so hard but on the other hand current Nick strategy seems to be either recycle things or make more Spongebobs so I shouldn't be shocked.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PhazonLink posted:

like the JLU episode has bats and some villain say they like Cap Marv because he's "sunny" and a bigger boy scout than Supes.
Supes has the whole "Brainwashed by Darkseid" baggage in the DCAU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nickelodeon had little interest in the past years for cultivating more talent and investing in developing new shows, and instead just kept on trying to extend old hits, and it's gotten really stale. I don't know how Rise of the TMNT came out of the channel.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nickelodeon had little interest in the past years for cultivating more talent and investing in developing new shows, and instead just kept on trying to extend old hits, and it's gotten really stale. I don't know how Rise of the TMNT came out of the channel.
The franchise holder of TMNT likes to reboot it every few years with a new iteration that's mostly animated in Canada.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Supes has the whole "Brainwashed by Darkseid" baggage in the DCAU

i liked that they carried that plotline to JLU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

also, are Adventure Time and Regular Show worth watching?

i've seen a bunch of individual episodes for both, and thought they were entertaining and funny but i hear they both fall off pretty bad

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mr Interweb posted:

i've seen a bunch of individual episodes for both, and thought they were entertaining and funny but i hear they both fall off pretty bad

Adventure Time I think gets generally better over time and strongly benefits from watching in sequence. There's people out there who bounced hard off the show turning into more a bunch of serialized miniseries towards the end, but I'm not one of those people.

Regular Show I also think is good but isn't as bingeworthy as AT. And that's not to say it's bad, it's just not trying to do the same things as AT.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Never seen Regular Show but Adventure Time is pretty good and starts developing more of a plot later on (which in my opinion is actually an improvement overall).

Also there’s supposedly a sequel/spinoff coming sometime this year but I’m not entirely sure whether that project is still happening or not (it was first announced back in 2021)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Adventure time is a feast or famine show. The episodes are pretty inconsistent in writing quality I think, though they're usually at least "an interesting idea." When it gets an episode right it knocks it out of the park though. I think it's worth watching through but if you're expecting a banger every episode I wouldn't recommend it.

First few season in particular I think are pretty dire to try to watch as an adult, but there's some good stuff in there

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm slowly working my way through Regular Show based on my love for the spiritual sequel, Close Enough. It's not as good, but I'm only season in. Seems like it could be really funny though, and captures that mid-twenties dudes being dudes vibe pretty accurately for what's meant to be a cartoon for children.

Adventure Time owns. It travels up its own butthole, sure, but that's part of the fun. The finale is pretty moving, and the four episode post-script season is also excellent.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Adventure Time has its importance as the cartoon that kinda kicked off a whole golden age for Cartoon Network. It's okay. It's mostly goofy fun with the occasional serious or deep-seeming thing thrown in there. I'm not sure it exactly gets better with time, I guess the setting stabilizes and gets a bit less zany. It's fun, but I feel like it got worse after Jay Ward left and the silliness drained out, leaving more meaningless blank weirdness and Finn's emerging boner. It gets something like an overarching narrative pretty far towards the end, but the show mostly is determined to not mean anything.

You can see the seeds of what Cartoon Network's later hits would be as well, since Cartoon Network was doing a whole thing of growing talent in the staff of one show so they could go off and form new shows later. I guess that lineage is mostly dead by now since Cartoon Network no longer exists as an internal subdivision of WB/D.

Regular Show was also fun, but I guess less important. It was a lot more consistent about what it is, so if you watch a few episodes, you'll have a decent idea of what the rest will be like. It's a decent watch.

Depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The one Regular Show episode I recall is the rap battle episode that had Tyler The Creator and Donald-Glover-As-Childish-Gambino playing the rapper villain characters in the episode that I only found out later.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I'd say the egg which birthed the generation of creators that took CN to great heights was Flapjack.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Flapjack is definitely an earlier startpoint that fostered a lot more future show creators (including the creator of Gravity Falls, which led to a number of shows on the Disney Channel), but Adventure Time is where it kicked off with lots of mainstream success to create a kind of cartoon renaissance. I've seen some charts that pull back further to like Dexter's Lab which also incubated a lot of talent, and track Family Guy, Avatar, Clone Wars, Fairly OddParents and the like, but Thurop Van Orman really kinda came out of nowhere. Flapjack I think might even be easier to watch as an adult as well.

I guess the real origin point of a lot of these things is Ted Turner buying up the dying Hannah-Barbera studios to round out his library of content to fill his budding cable network, and reformed it into a studio to nurse a new generation of animators and produce a bunch of new kinds of shows, and they've gone through waves of relative enthusiasm and success that I guess is over now between the internal division being disbanded and the parent company self-immolating and even the broader slump in the entertainment industry from the way that a lot of production was stalled out back in 2020.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flapjack definitely incubated the talent but Adventure Time absolutely kicked off a new generation of shows, even ones with creators not directly descended from it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Chowder/Flapjack definitely were a return to good stuff after the failed live action projects CN tried in the mid 00s. I think Flapjack was weird enough that it gave CN the confidence to go with AT.

Kind of how Oliver and Company being a small success primed Fisney for Little Mermaid.

Really ironic that Nick passed on AT. But I doubt it would have grown the same way as it did over there.

Anyway, Regular Show totally gets that vibe of being slightly adrift in your 20s and just trying to get by. I think it's on the modern vanguard of 80swave and 90s nostalgia, pointing to the millennials that their poo poo was old enough to be nostalgia. Whole episodes are built around things like getting high scores in video games or solving old console puzzles. Or Laserdiscs. The main pair do evolve over time so they get some development. But not in the way that AT dives fully into Lore and Worldbuilding.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, around what point in AT does the plot really start kicking in (also has there been any further word on the Fiona & Cake show supposedly coming to HBO this year)?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The stuff about The Lich was earlyish but just gave some of the adventures a point.

I think Flame Princess starts moving it away from kid fantasies and into like puberty poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

I forget, around what point in AT does the plot really start kicking in (also has there been any further word on the Fiona & Cake show supposedly coming to HBO this year)?

Season 4 I think. But it's always a mix of stand alone stories and plot stories. There are a couple of arcs later on that are basically just stand alone stories except told over a few episodes too, they're not really arc material.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Season 4 I think. But it's always a mix of stand alone stories and plot stories. There are a couple of arcs later on that are basically just stand alone stories except told over a few episodes too, they're not really arc material.

As I recall there were also a few spin-offs that connected back to the main series as well (Stakes during Season 7, Elements during Season 9, and Distant Lands after the series finale)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

yeah flapjack/chowder may have gotten the ball rolling, but AT helped massively accelerate it

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Maybe it was just the age I was at the time, but I always thought Flapjack and Chowder were complete garbage, or at least appealing to a very specific sense of humor that did not land with me at all.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally I thought both shows started off really strongly but both got hit with "seasonal rot" pretty quickly

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, here’s a trailer for the Owl House series finale next month:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ml8T3vNsRNY

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

Maybe it was just the age I was at the time, but I always thought Flapjack and Chowder were complete garbage, or at least appealing to a very specific sense of humor that did not land with me at all.

It definitely depended on how old you were I think. Chowder might've felt too juvenile at one level and too out there on the other level. Same with Flapjack,

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I thought both shows started off really strongly but both got hit with "seasonal rot" pretty quickly

I didn't realize both had the same number of seasons (three) and that both had a very abbreviated 3rd season (S1 and 2 were 20eps, and S3 had 6 eps for Flapjack and 9 for Chowder)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think Flapjack and Chowder were victims of a CN that was still flailing around at the time, but also that many of the talents on those early seasons were already getting development projects incubating by the time seasons 2-3 happen.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I think Flapjack and Chowder were victims of a CN that was still flailing around at the time, but also that many of the talents on those early seasons were already getting development projects incubating by the time seasons 2-3 happen.

They did get canceled just before their short lived CNReal block.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is it weird that I have a vague nostalgia for Destroy Build Destroy? it was a fun concept for a game show, at least, even if it was on the wrong channel to be showing that sort of thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

Nah, it's understandable. Like I enjoyed them a lot, but they're mostly just silly, not much deeper there. With Adventure Time you can sort of argue about there being a plot or depth, but With Flapjack and Chowder there's nothin'. If silly fun or multimedia animation spectacle isn't your thing, they're not gonna satisfy you.

I have mixed feelings about the current model that a lot of shows go through where they putter around for a season or so acting like they're episodic and then finally get around to having a plot where it gives people expectations that might not get fulfilled. Some shows just never really do have a plot kick in, and it doesn't seem like any shows are trying to start a plot any earlier either.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The worst sin is when one transitions poorly to the other, like a webcomic starting about gamer roommates in college and then halfway through it's now a melodrama with superpowers, meaning there was no real plan from the start and it's never going to resolve well, if at all.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I have mixed feelings about the current model that a lot of shows go through where they putter around for a season or so acting like they're episodic and then finally get around to having a plot where it gives people expectations that might not get fulfilled. Some shows just never really do have a plot kick in, and it doesn't seem like any shows are trying to start a plot any earlier either.

I'm reminded of an edit I saw of The Dark Knight quote, in reference to Amphibia, where it summed up the current state of animated shows as "You either die an episodic sitcom, or you live long enough to see yourself become a shonen anime."

mystes
May 31, 2006

Junpei posted:

I'm reminded of an edit I saw of The Dark Knight quote, in reference to Amphibia, where it summed up the current state of animated shows as "You either die an episodic sitcom, or you live long enough to see yourself become a shonen anime."
Is that what happened to star vs the forces of evil too?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

To be fair, Amphibia didn’t have far to fall in that regard (there’s literally some of that stuff present in the first season, it just escalated from there)

mystes posted:

Is that what happened to star vs the forces of evil too?

I thought that went more from magical girl action series to political drama with superpowers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think you either go in with the idea that the episodes could ostensibly be enjoyed out of order and individually, or plan your rugpull transition from the start with an actual payoff sooner than later, buuuuut it is far more profitable to string people along and start doing a "actually under the surface this comedy is ACTUALLY KINDA hosed UP" move to try and secure more seasons when the comedy isn't working out for whatever reason.

Moral Orel these shows aren't.