Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah those are the guys r2d2 and c3p0 are based on

Droids are slaves and all the fandom is ok with this. All your protagonists bully and mistreat droids. Even the mandalorian.

Space libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

One of the weirdest things about Disney Star Wars is that Lando fucks a droid

somehow

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
don't be synthist

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

One of the weirdest things about Disney Star Wars is that Lando fucks a droid

somehow

her plotline in solo was atrocious

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Droids are slaves and all the fandom is ok with this. All your protagonists bully and mistreat droids. Even the mandalorian.

Space libs

There's also non-droid slaves. There's just a lot of slavery in Star Wars for some reason.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

anakin just forgot to free his mom

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think samurai were like feudal minor landlords who swore to fight, mostly as like mounted calvary? when their regional lord needed them to. And in return yah they were petty landlord basterds and tied to a specific class interest. I don't think they were historically some Super Cool Feudal Cops or whatever western media thinks.

So that samurai game that didn't support japanese language at release and was made by texans goes hardcore into rehabilitating the samurai the same way the fascists did in Japan in the early 20ths century. Inventing an idea of honor and nobility that didn't really ever exist. and also the game has women bowing before men which is also ahistorical and something that got boosted with the fascists. Historically there were no katanas but the game has katanas etc.

Kinda like glorifying cowboys and slave owners as big matcho good guys fighting for their ideals or something.

And so that game did well in Japan cause gamers are often right wing anti historical poo poo head shut ins who think katanas are cool and smelly multiethnic invaders from China called 'mongolians' are bad and we have to protect our honor&our women's purity or something

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I don't know any japanese history and I didn't play the game but it did appear to have the funk of right wing bullshit

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I liked the scene where Jin Sakai poisoned all the Mongolians like Kefka in FF6

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Justin Tyme posted:

They're gonna try to do a Zelda movie and its gonna suck absolute rear end
The CG Animal Crossing movie will loving own though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I liked the scene where Jin Sakai poisoned all the Mongolians like Kefka in FF6

Read Settlers

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Justin Tyme posted:

They're gonna try to do a Zelda movie and its gonna suck absolute rear end

Chris Kattan as Link

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

Space libs

There's notably one guy who treats droids well. That's right, Anakin Skywalker , who was/is a slave as well

Antonymous posted:

I don't know any japanese history and I didn't play the game but it did appear to have the funk of right wing bullshit

c'mon man

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
AHEM! The guys Artoo and Threepio are based on were actually soldiers who joined the military to get rich off looting and deserted when they lost the battle. Then they get thrown in a POW camp and hilarity ensues.

Anyway I find the weird obsession with tearing down samurai off putting like a weird form of orientalism. Like yeah they were Japanese version of the Knight and thus feudal shitbags, but I never see this kind of obsession with tearing down the Knights of the Round Table. Why is there never someone crawling out of the woodwork to tell us about how Sir Gawain was a nazi? Was The Green Knight fascist apologia?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

galagazombie posted:

Why is there never someone crawling out of the woodwork to tell us about how Sir Gawain was a nazi? Was The Green Knight fascist apologia?

speaking of, my favorite Love Death and Robots episode was the weird conquistador one

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

galagazombie posted:

AHEM! The guys Artoo and Threepio are based on were actually soldiers who joined the military to get rich off looting and deserted when they lost the battle. Then they get thrown in a POW camp and hilarity ensues.

Anyway I find the weird obsession with tearing down samurai off putting like a weird form of orientalism. Like yeah they were Japanese version of the Knight and thus feudal shitbags, but I never see this kind of obsession with tearing down the Knights of the Round Table. Why is there never someone crawling out of the woodwork to tell us about how Sir Gawain was a nazi? Was The Green Knight fascist apologia?

there's a difference between specific fake knights and historical European knights which are and have been taken down all the time. nobody's canceling Samurai Jack they're saying samurais sucked poo poo and booty hole

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yah you can play shogun total war or w/e. Knights wore the iron cross but if a game has knights wearing it and talking about saving europa from turks or something and their european ethical system is set up as superior and then skinheads in europe talk about how great it is... its kinda gross no? or is that occidentalism

actually that might be more historically accurate than the ghosts of tsushima game idk

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Mar 22, 2023

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

imo if anything rewriting history to suit right wing sensibilities being "on limits" when its a japanese historical game made by english speaking texans Washingtonians is the weirder take

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 06:03 on Mar 22, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Auralnauts reimagining Lando's betrayal to be about L3 will always be funny to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwsMYJdmutQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2zRFPeEDS0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also Jin in Ghost of Tsushima learns about how bullshit the Samurai system is and sides with his peasant friends.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
We need a game about the samurai delegates at the World's Fair getting drunk off a different booze each night

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
how was ghost of tsushima inspired by elden ring if it was released earlier?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

is metal gear solid fascist is the real question

no

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Antonymous posted:

yah you can play shogun total war or w/e. Knights wore the iron cross but if a game has knights wearing it and talking about saving europa from turks or something and their european ethical system is set up as superior and then skinheads in europe talk about how great it is... its kinda gross no? or is that occidentalism

actually that might be more historically accurate than the ghosts of tsushima game idk

The game actually doesn't venerate the samurai system that much. The whole arc of the game is about the main character abandoning when it proves to be impractical and incapable of fending off the Mongols* and even his uncle, the biggest feudal lord in the context of the game is portrayed as being pretty classist, mostly ignoring the peasant woman that's been backing you up and saved your life, then trying to blame all of your "dishonorable" actions on her so you can save face.

*Noted though, that historical samurai wouldn't have had any issue with the kind of poo poo Jin pulls in the game.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I liked Policenauts because it was really obvious Kojima just wanted to make his own Lethal Weapon Movie but then it becomes a story about how space colonies are a cool idea on paper but in practice would actually be giant resource sinks that are miserable to live in, require horrifying practices and infrastructure to maintain, and are ultimately unsustainable embodiments of mankind's hubris.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 08:14 on Mar 22, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Antonymous posted:

is metal gear solid fascist is the real question

no

It seemed like the 5th game kind of was though.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

galagazombie posted:

At least in cinema, Samurai mythology is very closely related to Cowboy mythology (e.g Kurosawa and John Hughes copying each other's shots, the ronin/man with no name, being "quick on the draw" applying to both revolver and katana, etc), the greatest cowboy pictures have always oscillated between earnestness and deconstruction of the archetype, so it follows that it's more natural for samurai films to do this as well. Hara-Kiri is one of the greatest samurai films and it's an explicit breakdown of the samurai, same as Eastwood's Unforgiven for example (which has an excellent samurai remake of its own with Ken Watanabe). I think Samurai/Cowboy is a closer parallel IN MEDIA than Samurai/Knight.
That being said I think more cool revisionist medieval films would be extremely welcome. The Green Knight was a little bit like that but needed more character work.

Cookie Cutter has issued a correction as of 10:38 on Mar 22, 2023

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Cookie Cutter posted:

At least in cinema, Samurai mythology is very closely related to Cowboy mythology (e.g Kurosawa and John Hughes copying each other's shots, the ronin/man with no name, being "quick on the draw" applying to both revolver and katana, etc), the greatest cowboy pictures have always oscillated between earnestness and deconstruction of the archetype, so it follows that it's more natural for samurai films to do this as well. Hara-Kiri is one of the greatest samurai films and it's an explicit breakdown of the samurai, same as Eastwood's Unforgiven for example (which has an excellent samurai remake of its own with Ken Watanabe). I think Samurai/Cowboy is a closer parallel IN MEDIA than Samurai/Knight.

This brings up a good point, Regardless of whether it’s cowboys or knights, part of my point is how strange the whole anti samurai backlash is when Samurai stories are doing that just fine themselves. Like I can’t remember the last time I saw a samurai story where the protagonist wasn’t some kind of ronin fighting against feudalism. Ghost of Tsushima portrays the samurai as dangerously moronic Klingons who the hero is at odds with.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I don't think tsushima was right wing I just think it was made with an astonishingly naive view of the samurai (who they were already cramming into a much earlier era) that doesn't reflect even how basic Japanese media portrays them, which is usually fairly cynically.

I don't know how they claim to have watched any samurai films at all and come away with the fairytale knights they ended up with in the game

It's a shame cause the game is good and Tsushima plus historical cynicism would be a game made just for me.
Also the mongols should be super advanced, multiethnic and using pikeblocks and grenades
It's another situation where the history is way better than the pop culture garbage they missed it for

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Ardennes posted:

It seemed like the 5th game kind of was though.

Snake eater? Or are you counting snake's revenge/twin snakes

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cuttlefush posted:

Snake eater? Or are you counting snake's revenge/twin snakes

Phantom Pain

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
The Thin White Snake

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Antonymous posted:

ghosts of tsushima is right wing propaganda lol

drat thats interesting

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
a lot of good art is right wing propaganda because fascists prioritize aesthetic above everything

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

a lot of good art is right wing propaganda because fascists prioritize aesthetic above everything

exactly. just like brutalist architecture

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
isn't rightwing propaganda in japan more like like: Comfort women were all whores?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

isn't rightwing propaganda in japan more like like: Comfort women were all whores?

idk i'm not japanese and I haven't played ghosts of tsushima i'm just speaking in generalities

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Tankbuster posted:

it can be many things at once. You also have stuff like "The Rape of Nanking never happened."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Left wing propaganda is about warm colors and talking feelings.

Right wing propaganda is about your feelings being a gun.