Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

im_sorry posted:

That wouldn't surprise me... they're loving delicious.

it's because of very limited supply. they are very hard to cultivate, so they mostly grow in the wild. so most people have to actually forage for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

but actually foraging for mushrooms is extremely pleasant

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I was 24 when i printed my first million.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Someone with evil in their heart can't harvest ginseng.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Counting the days until J Pow Wow Chow bails out Bitcoin

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

but actually foraging for mushrooms is extremely pleasant

It sounds like such a cool hobby, but I don't trust myself enough not to pick some delicious, but fatal morsel.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

He's related to Elizabeth Warren?!?!?!

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

that's what's been happening all week dude

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Soon:

I went to the store with my infinite money but all the shelves were bare. What gives?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Soon:

I went to the store with my infinite money but all the shelves were bare. What gives?

somebody forgot to give the store infinite money, so they could keep the shelves stocked

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Soon:

That's a bug, try reloading a save from when Bitcoin is below 99,999

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

It sounds like such a cool hobby, but I don't trust myself enough not to pick some delicious, but fatal morsel.

Around here it seems like everyone has a story about a neighbor who picked the wrong thing and ended up in a coma for a couple of days. Or dead.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I wouldn't touch wild mushrooms unless I was a mycologist.

It's a self correcting problem though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Yeah I wouldn't touch wild mushrooms unless I was a mycologist.

It's a self correcting problem though.

Someone had to eat them first. :colbert:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If I didn't break out in hives when I ate them I'd cultivate mushrooms.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FlapYoJacks posted:

Someone had to eat them first. :colbert:

It's more like "Someone had to observe wild animals eating them no problem, someone had to carefully rub mushroom dust on their skin first, someone had to lick them without any adverse effects, someone had to cook them thoroughly first" and so on.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Rectal Death Adept posted:

i feel like bitcoin going up so much should be more alarming to more people

with the state of the real economy and the way the cavemen in charge are struggling with the money monster we created it should be a concerning sign that the stupidest asset humanity has ever devised is doing amazing all of a sudden
if enough rich people buy bitcoin they have to bail it out

the mark to par fed bitcoin window

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Don't get me wrong I still go out looking for morels. Just don't gently caress up. Super simple, really, just one step.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's more like "Someone had to observe wild animals eating them no problem, someone had to carefully rub mushroom dust on their skin first, someone had to lick them without any adverse effects, someone had to cook them thoroughly first" and so on.

Booorrrrrriiiinnnnngggggg. YOLO BITHC

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

or you could just follow herds of wild grazers, eating whatever blossoms from their poo

yolo

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

i feel like bitcoin going up so much should be more alarming to more people

with the state of the real economy and the way the cavemen in charge are struggling with the money monster we created it should be a concerning sign that the stupidest asset humanity has ever devised is doing amazing all of a sudden

I chalk it up to a couple things:

1) A bunch of Silicon Valley types just pulled their money out of banks

2) Bitcoin's big marketing thing is that oh, it's for when the fiat currencies inevitably collapse because the future is TECHNOLOGY and not STATES and the people who buy into that are disproportionately in Silicon Valley

I mean, it's certainly not good, but it makes as much sense as anything happening in this nonsense economy presently.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love how real the economy is.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Next...?

https://twitter.com/DonMiami3/status/1638376773246148609

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So did Credit Suisse get bailed out by Switzerland?

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

MonsieurChoc posted:

latest is that ubs is buying them after much 'encouragement' from the swiss govt

not sure when the deal is supposed to be final

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What's in your wallet?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

super sweet best pal posted:

What's in your wallet?
junk bonds :twisted:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Badgers burrowing below railway tracks have wreaked havoc on train services in the Netherlands, causing cancellations and line closures.

Trains in the north and south of the country have been affected, with some services halted for at least a week.

The line between Den Bosch and Boxtel in the south was closed on Tuesday after the mammals dug under the tracks.

Officials said it was not clear how long the problem would continue as badgers were a protected species.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Eric Cantonese posted:

most are simply inedible, there are really very few lethally poisonous mushrooms, but I have certainly seen lethally poisonous mushrooms in the foraging baskets of hippies

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ah, you found some worm eaten chanterelles and a destroying angel

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Badgers burrowing below railway tracks have wreaked havoc on train services in the Netherlands, causing cancellations and line closures.

Trains in the north and south of the country have been affected, with some services halted for at least a week.

The line between Den Bosch and Boxtel in the south was closed on Tuesday after the mammals dug under the tracks.

Officials said it was not clear how long the problem would continue as badgers were a protected species.

Can we retrain them to destroy cars like their cousins, the stone marten?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

First mushrooms, now badgers. Now we just need Elizabeth Warren.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

they got sold cheap to UBS, bondholders who had the AT1 bonds got zeroed (these operate this way by design) and UBS got a liquidity line+support after a certain amount of losses

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

Buy a good pair of boots folks. Buy a good pair of boots. And find a good local cobbler.

You're going to be walking a lot more.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

super sweet best pal posted:

What's in your wallet?

Almost like aggressively going after poors in 15 years of ZIRP is going to have some blowback as we surge past 5% interest. But everything's fine :nsa:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Buy a good pair of boots folks. Buy a good pair of boots. And find a good local cobbler.

You're going to be walking a lot more.

i already don't have trains

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
which is worse: citi, capitalone, or chase

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

silicone thrills posted:

lol that's pretty hosed up because people can have pretty wildly different reactions to certain safe but not for commercial sale sort of mushrooms.

Also a bunch of mushrooms have bad reactions to alcohol.

Yeah, that's all kinds of hosed up - you should always avoid pigging out on a species you've never had before just in case you personally have a reaction to it. My wife has this with winecaps, which is unfortunate because the ones I cultured under the blackberries have busted out of their chip pile and are marching through the orchard on a mission of conquest. I eat a lot of winecaps at certain times of the year.

I think the worst "you should sell this" encouragement was for Western Big Leaf maple syrup. Eastern Sugar maples are the fat totally domesticated and predictable Persian cat sleeping on your couch, WBL are the one-eyed feral barn cat that might accept a scritch behind the ears today but might try to take your hand off tomorrow. The only way I could see monetizing it would be to sell the idea of WBLM syrup - festivals, stuffed toys, mascots, starter kits, that sort of thing. Kind of like chinchilla and bullfrog farming in the 1930s-1940s.

I guess now we've got crypto and don't need bullfrogs anymore.

Nonsense posted:

Deeply saddened we don't have badgers here. As I get older my beard is developing the same streaks, they're obviously my spirit animal.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Xaris posted:

which is worse: citi, capitalone, or chase

they all begin with c for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Capital Done