Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The shows are on paramount plus and if you want to watch the same unskippable promo for some Kiefer Sutherland show where they say "the plan" 3 times in 20 seconds then I have very good news for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Hate to be that guy but given how often Trek bounces between various streaming services (at least, it feels like it?), the Blu-Rays are a good invest.

Or idk :filez:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't hate to be that guy: DVDs and Blu-Rays are a much better investment than paying for streaming that will likely drop whatever you paid to see.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FISHMANPET posted:

They're off Paramount+ in the US as well. I think they're streaming on HBO Max right now. My guess is that it's a different business arm for the films and TV, so when a Paramount TV executive says "We want Paramount+ to be the exclusive home of Star Trek", a Paramount movie exec can just glance up from his line of cocaine, and point at the big briefcase of money HBO is holding, before going back to the glass table top.

E: The shows are still on Paramount+ in the US, it's just the films that are off (and have been for a while).

The streaming contracts are signed years in advance. Like, HBO Max having the Trek movies for a six-month period (or whatever) in 2023 was likely negotiated as far back as 2019 or 2020.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't hate to be that guy: DVDs and Blu-Rays are a much better investment than paying for streaming that will likely drop whatever you paid to see.

I am pumped for the UHD release of SNW, but sad that it’s still two months out even though DVD and BD came out today.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Timby posted:

The streaming contracts are signed years in advance. Like, HBO Max having the Trek movies for a six-month period (or whatever) in 2023 was likely negotiated as far back as 2019 or 2020.

Its this. Its why when Disney+ launched, they didn't have all the Marvel properties (outside of even the Netflix ones). They still don't have the Sony Spiderman stuff, but thats unrelated. There was also some Pixar stuff that was only available on other platforms for a while too.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HD DAD posted:

I am pumped for the UHD release of SNW, but sad that it’s still two months out even though DVD and BD came out today.

Oh word? I usually don't like buying movies/TV shows sight unseen (I've only watched the pilot of SNW and parts of the Balance of Terror episode), but I'll have to check that out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

Its this. Its why when Disney+ launched, they didn't have all the Marvel properties (outside of even the Netflix ones). They still don't have the Sony Spiderman stuff, but thats unrelated. There was also some Pixar stuff that was only available on other platforms for a while too.

Right, and it's why HBO Max lost the Lord of the Rings movies a week after the service launched, because they had a pre-existing contract for them to be exclusive to Netflix for a while.

Edit: They also lost the Harry Potter movies for a while right after launch.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Timby posted:

You know, I feel like these streaming contracts should really have a clawback clause. Like, "if we launch our own streaming service we reserve the right to cancel this contract, upon payment of some penalty." Because it keeps biting media companies in the rear end.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They are still licensing out content after they have launched their own stuff. Why? It makes them money, probably far more than the subs they were initially providing.

Sony is actually the one that's doing the best out there and you know why? They have no streaming service and they will sell their content to anyone who wants to license it.

Netflix baited the big studios into launching their own streaming platforms, but they are all FAR more risk adverse and it is blowing up in their face.

Netflix knew they were going to face challengers in the market due to their seemingly unconstrained subscriber growth. They started producing their own content so suddenly they were seen as a threat to the traditional studios. The solution was to aggressively overspend and go with quantity and every single studio followed suit.

You think Netflix cared that Comcast took back "The Office?" gently caress no, because it contributed to Comcast creating Peacock which has cratered. HBO had been profitable for decades even after they launched their own streaming service. But Netflix panicked them into doing HBO Max and overspending on content and they posted their first loss in years after the launch of HBO Max. Netflix doesn't really care that they burn cash and their investors only seem to somewhat care. But AT&T sure as gently caress cared that Time Warner wasn't making them bank overnight and it was dragging down their telco financial performance so they cooked up a scheme with Discovery to get that purchase off their books and now HBO is in shambles.

So, we're going to come full circle on licensing out content and these studios are starting to find that they can't just burn cash creating 30 shows a year and relying on someone spending $10 /month to fund them. So we have poo poo like Warner Brothers Discover selling prestige shows to Roku so they are streamed alongside local car ads. The biggest outliers were Disney and Apple since they have other funding sources and long goal motivations to product content, but even Disney is pulling back now.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Drone posted:

Hate to be that guy but given how often Trek bounces between various streaming services (at least, it feels like it?), the Blu-Rays are a good invest.

Or idk :filez:

I've bought the TOS movies at least three times in different formats and don't give a poo poo about anything over 1080p (and am honestly fine 90% of the time at 720p), so I'm definitely way past the point of even theoretically feeling morally bad about using a digital copy, personally.

I'll happily watch it on a streaming service if I already have that service, and maybe there's theoretically some value add that they might make at some point that makes paying for a new version make sense, but realistically I doubt it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

bull3964 posted:

So, we're going to come full circle on licensing out content and these studios are starting to find that they can't just burn cash creating 30 shows a year and relying on someone spending $10 /month to fund them. So we have poo poo like Warner Brothers Discover selling prestige shows to Roku so they are streamed alongside local car ads. The biggest outliers were Disney and Apple since they have other funding sources and long goal motivations to product content, but even Disney is pulling back now.

OTOH it opened up certain spaces and avenues that didn't exist before. Like, CollegeHumor died trying to make it work with ads on youtube, but getting a few thousand people to pay to stream your content wasn't an option before the streaming boom opened up the tech to smaller players like vhx, and now Dropout exists and seems to be profitable. MST3K is going a similar route.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

College Humor died after it pivoted to making videos on Facebook, mainly because Facebook had been completely fraudulent about its viewership numbers. Before they pivoted, their model was geared towards getting viewers into their own site where they had their own ad system that used to sustain them, but posting directly on social media doesn't have the same click-through rate.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
There's a reason I hug my HD-DVD drive for my Xbox 360. They will never take it from me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My HD-DVD Xbox 360 drive died a couple years back and I cried harder than I had in a very long time

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is a good reminder that I need to convert my old DVDs to digital (mp4) before I lose the data. I've been worried about my TOS DVDs that come in those big plastic cases from the mid 2000s....

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've made it, DS9 has assumed its final form. Sisko is on mushrooms and wearing his badge on the wrong side of the seam

The FC unis are so much better than the DS9 ones. I will say they look better on DS9 than VOY, I wonder if that's down to actual costuming or just the fact that DS9 is shot darker than voyager

Do they ever go into why they swap around uniforms? Whenever Sisko is in the regular fleet (Emissary, Homefront) he's in TNG, Worf is of course in his TNG yellow before swapping to DS9 red so the DS9s supposed to be what, frontier style? Causal?

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 22, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I had the vibe they were starbase uniforms instead of fleet.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My interpretation, back before they decided everyone got to wear the DS9 style, was that wearing the TNG uniform was like a US Navy officer wearing their khaki uniform. Deployments like being on the Enterprise meant you wore your daily service uniform. DS9 was more of a "working" environment and they got to wear their utility uniform.

Also, given that replicated clothes are effectively free, they should have made it an actual serious thing that Starfleet promotion ceremonies actually do require wearing over the top Age of Sail uniforms.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 22, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

I've made it, DS9 has assumed its final form. Sisko is on mushrooms and wearing his badge on the wrong side of the seam

The FC unis are so much better than the DS9 ones. I will say they look better on DS9 than VOY, I wonder if that's down to actual costuming or just the fact that DS9 is shot darker than voyager

Do they ever go into why they swap around uniforms? Whenever Sisko is in the regular fleet (Emissary, Homefront) he's in TNG, Worf is of course in his TNG yellow before swapping to DS9 red so the DS9s supposed to be what, frontier style? Causal?

Nope, it's entirely up to the whims of the producers and the costume department for why who's in what uniform at any given time. I've always found it incredibly weird though how the Voyager cast didn't swap over to the First Contact uniforms as well as soon as they got back in contact with Starfleet.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Also they swapped into those uniforms about when the Dominion War was gearing up so they have more of a serious / military vibe

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Before Voyager started, yeah, color body was fleet and black body was starbases. Then in Voyager they switched to black body for everyone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Does anyone have a link to that Twitter clip of Andrew Robinson on that show bluntly saying that when he acted in the first scene with Bashir that he played Garek as wanting to gently caress the doctor.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

zoux posted:

Star-base vs. star-ship personnel, maybe?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I will forgive most of Picard’s sins if they make it canon that Bashir and Garak are in a very cute and loving relationship

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Before Voyager started, yeah, color body was fleet and black body was starbases. Then in Voyager they switched to black body for everyone.

I seem to recall Garrett Wang saying that the producers and costume department preferred the black body of the VOY uniforms (and the First Contact ones too) because it was easier to hide the fact that the cast was constantly gaining and losing weight while filming the show.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Hollismason posted:

Does anyone have a link to that Twitter clip of Andrew Robinson on that show bluntly saying that when he acted in the first scene with Bashir that he played Garek as wanting to gently caress the doctor.

https://youtu.be/mqvl2hhFkko

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Robert Beltran tried to get fired by insisting that Chakotay put on fifty pounds but they allowed it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Robert Deltran got dealt the worst hand of any cast member of the 90's Treks but somehow ended up the most compensated for it

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

SlothfulCobra posted:

College Humor died after it pivoted to making videos on Facebook, mainly because Facebook had been completely fraudulent about its viewership numbers. Before they pivoted, their model was geared towards getting viewers into their own site where they had their own ad system that used to sustain them, but posting directly on social media doesn't have the same click-through rate.

At least they were able to rise from the ashes with Dropout, one of the few subscription services I actually pay for and don't just mooch someone else's.

Um, Actually and Game Changer are some amazing shows.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Feldegast42 posted:

Robert Deltran

This is what Beltran goes around the gym calling himself after he does a bunch of shoulder presses

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Got lost in the Deltran quadrant

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My big move as a Trek showrunner would be jeans for the uniform. The jean colour also tells your department, and the cut of the leg your rank. The captain and first officer wear capris so they are instantly recognizable.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I say they should just use the naked cover in mud uniform that roddenberry originally wanted.

but you know space mud or whatever.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Khanstant posted:

My big move as a Trek showrunner would be jeans for the uniform. The jean colour also tells your department, and the cut of the leg your rank. The captain and first officer wear capris so they are instantly recognizable.

My philosophy would be "the shorter the skirt the lower the rank".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

V-Men posted:

My philosophy would be "the shorter the skirt the higher the rank".

:eng101:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

*Picard sits down, pulls at his skant*

*a horrified Wesley turns back to his station, muttering "I've seen everything"*

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Canonically this was occurring on that Romulan starship in the Enterprise Incident.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

davidspackage posted:

*a horrified Wesley turns back to his station, muttering "I've seen everything"*

The higher, the fewer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

davidspackage posted:

No one wants to work ops cause Riker is always putting his foot up on it.