Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Popete posted:

Buckle in folks we've got an expert!

I love how a "30 year veteran" developer is looking at the supposed scope of what is being asked - along with the team being asked to do it - and not thinking "are you loving kidding me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

colonelwest posted:

But yeah PES is a glorious mess that anyone could predict would just break the game in new ways, while adding nothing of any real gameplay value if you’re not a hardcore space janitor at heart. They’ll be screwing around with it and trying to dig out of the mounds of technical debt they added, just to in the end introduce some bog standard culling feature that’s been in game’s for 30 years.

If they ever add a second star system to their big 100+ star system game, I’d love to see what happens when you start dumping trash into one of the jump gates.

see to me, the beauty of CIG / Chris is encapsulated in this entire PES mess

they make the most bare bones of early access games, then harp on about WAIT UNTIL PES COMES IT WILL TRANSFORM THE GAME

PES is simply, not letting poo poo cull or expire (like dead bodies do for example in almost ever multiplayer game to date)

so they go on and on about PES

but wait, what happens when PES ruins the game and grinds the servers to a halt???

WELL, CIG HAS INVENTED PES-NOT-CULLING

HAZAAAAH WE ARE SAVED CIG HAS DONE IT

scream it from the roof tops, just when we were almost un-done, CIG has transformed gaming AGAIN!

so as usual, they are labeling poo poo already made a thing many many many moons ago by others, as new and inventive names so as to take credit for it

how do you invent more cool stuff you ask Chris? Well , make the game run like utter loving garbage and then magically invent a way to FIX it of course

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

Buckle in folks we've got an expert!

You heard that right, databases not stored in "volatile" RAM! This is it, the singularity is upon us. CIG has somehow, someway thru sheer force of will and determination figured out how to store data in such a way that it can be recovered even in the event of a power failure. I don't know how they did it but this heralds a new era of mankind. What next? Perhaps this can even be applied to regular ol' AAA games and they'll be able to "save" your game state, perhaps even to a local file not requiring a constant internet connection to the database??

Yeah my granddad would always act like he was an expert on everything that he was perhaps an expert in when it was 20 years ago. That's the vibe I'm getting here.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Remember in Skyrim 5 when Stormcloaks body wouldn't despawn after you killed him? It would just stay there like right on the dinner table. CIG spent over 10 years replicating one of Bethesda's weirdest bugs.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's a sci-fi setting, right? Just make small flying drones who zip around and zap away any item left unattended for... I unno, 5 minutes in a public area. Where's my $50,000 for this revolutionary idea, Chris?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How they implement culling doesn't really matter, supposedly it already exists (I think?) but they're obviously going to have to increase it because it's contributing to Star Citizens already poor performance. They sold this whole idea that objects will persist forever, you can drop a cup in the woods and come back months later to find it. Which obviously isn't actually go to work in a multiplayer game but now we are in real time watching CIG figure this out over the period of 10+ years.

Which really begs the question, what is the point of PES anyways if nothing is guaranteed to actually be persistent? It's only real purpose now seems to be leaving piles of garbage and corpses around.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/qO63YnJ.gifv

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Errr it’s a building block of server meshing or something?

Anyway, I’m the visionary ideas guy. You folks just layer in the code, i’m off to Monaco

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
PES obviously works, shart citizen is a pile of garbage and it's stayed around for a decade, can't get rid of it in fact, stinkin' the place up.

Also, Skyrim V is Oblivion Four Part Two, which is the prequel to The Elder Scrolls Six: Starfield.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Randalor posted:

It's a sci-fi setting, right? Just make small flying drones who zip around and zap away any item left unattended for... I unno, 5 minutes in a public area. Where's my $50,000 for this revolutionary idea, Chris?

I'm pretty sure SC players would hate that. They want to see actual humans cleaning up so that they can feel wealthy and powerful.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

lobsterminator posted:

I'm pretty sure SC players would hate that. They want to see actual humans cleaning up so that they can feel wealthy and powerful.

Just make it "lore" that the cleaning robots actually have human brains and are slave who are in robot bodies so they can work forever and don't need sleep.

The fact that this is incredibly stupid will be overlooked due to it being appropriately grimdark.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

Which really begs the question, what is the point of PES anyways if nothing is guaranteed to actually be persistent? It's only real purpose now seems to be leaving piles of garbage and corpses around.

The point is to sell ships.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dr_rat posted:

Just make it "lore" that the cleaning robots actually have human brains and are slave who are in robot bodies so they can work forever and don't need sleep.

The fact that this is incredibly stupid will be overlooked due to it being appropriately grimdark.

Dunno if you've heard about them, but 40K servitors have been a thing for a while. Have some original ideas, man! What could be more original than having a flesh and blood human being do the drudgework for you?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

Dunno if you've heard about them, but 40K servitors have been a thing for a while. Have some original ideas, man! What could be more original than having a flesh and blood human being do the drudgework for you?

Yeah but humans take more polygons and need more animation and what not, where as a big square cube can be made in like three seconds. Cube roombas are so easy!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
just add Can-Quest from Yakuza 7

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Popete posted:

How they implement culling doesn't really matter, supposedly it already exists (I think?) but they're obviously going to have to increase it because it's contributing to Star Citizens already poor performance. They sold this whole idea that objects will persist forever, you can drop a cup in the woods and come back months later to find it. Which obviously isn't actually go to work in a multiplayer game but now we are in real time watching CIG figure this out over the period of 10+ years.

there's loads of things I just don't get about this, but one of them is...players play in different shards, right? do these shards share entities with each other? Like, if a mate is in a different shard and we both put a bottle down in a similar place, do we both see each other's bottles? Cos either way it's broken. Either it's shared and you end up with bajillions of poo poo everywhere and massive server strain (which is what seems to be happening), or you end up with a consistency/conflict problem if you join someone else's shard or they join yours.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So the point of the feature as it seems to at it's heart being allowing the player to make some sort of mark on the world. Like I get that. Often games can feel like the world barely notices the player going through it. But yeah I feel like this is just a terrible way go about it even ignoring the massive technical problem.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
I guess I am not grasping the no-doubt awesome gameplay implications offered by flipping the find-the-coffee-cup-in-the-forest switch to "might work, if it doesn't crash". It really is the first thing you think of, as a babby computergameologist, when you discover computers can render virtual worlds. Terrific. And then? Where's the game in that? Hunt The Thimble has more immersion, and you can play that for free!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The "leaving a mark on the world" part I can understand, but that only really works in single-player games like the 5th Skyrim or as a thing in smaller scale MP games (eg. with destructible environments) where you'll reset everything for the next match after 10-30 minutes.

What's broken about the idea (and implementation) by CIG is that they're trying to apply it to an infinite scale life-replacement sci-fi world and well, :rubby:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

dr_rat posted:

So the point of the feature as it seems to at it's heart being allowing the player to make some sort of mark on the world. Like I get that. Often games can feel like the world barely notices the player going through it. But yeah I feel like this is just a terrible way go about it even ignoring the massive technical problem.

Having the world react to the player is something that open world single player games like TESVI: Skryrim II desperately need. But CIG’s PES and Quanta dreams.txt is incredibly stupid in an MMO.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 22, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

toiletbrush posted:

there's loads of things I just don't get about this, but one of them is...players play in different shards, right? do these shards share entities with each other? Like, if a mate is in a different shard and we both put a bottle down in a similar place, do we both see each other's bottles? Cos either way it's broken. Either it's shared and you end up with bajillions of poo poo everywhere and massive server strain (which is what seems to be happening), or you end up with a consistency/conflict problem if you join someone else's shard or they join yours.

I don't believe shards share entities, so yes as implemented now nothing is guaranteed to be where you left it because you cannot choose which shard you join. The answer is likely "server meshing fixes this", how? Well nobody can explain that bit but have confidence CIG will somehow make this work.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Gort posted:

just add Can-Quest from Yakuza 7

But with the body of the gigantic roomba fight from like a dragon

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

colonelwest posted:

Having the world react to the player is something that open world single player games TESVI: Skryrim II desperately need. But CIG’s PES and Quanta dreams.txt is incredibly stupid in an MMO.

Yep, it's like a lot of features that SC talks up. They sounds okay if you don't think about it, but it's just such a poor use of resources, and don't really work in MMO's.
It goes back to SC having no direction as a game. I think the point is what they were talking about with Fallout 76 before release, having the people playing make the content, but you need to actually have mechanics in there to make that work. Neither 76 or SC seem to of thought of that.

I mean eve isn't the greatest game ever, but it seems to at least have it's mechanics set up right to let players do all the crazy stuff goon swam and other groups get up to.

SC has garbage collection and mall food stalls for some reason.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So if the universes are supposed to be persistent, does that mean that there would be a finite amount of resources available? After all, they wouldn't just, say, spawn in more asteroids as they are mined out by players, or spawn in derelect hulls for salvage missions, that wouldn't be ~persistent~ and would take away from a potential player's immersion of cornering the market on spaceiron by harvesting all the asteroids.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how to say it any more clearly, Server Meshing solves that!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh and if you buy in game items with real world $$$ like skins or armour and you die in game they are now permanently lost. CIG removed the method to recover them using a "character reset" and there is no update on what they plan to do going forward.

Thankfully a Citizen has an easy solution for this.

quote:

Ahoy There:

Dont worry there is an easy Solution to losing your items in game. Go to the Pledge store and buy another one. These items are intended to be one time use. Remember 1$ = 1 UEC in game as you can currently buy 25,000 UEC for 25$.

When you buy it again, you will feel better knowing you are supporting Star Citizen development. Every $$ helps CR and CIG.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Things that should be persistent in a game: literal trash
Things that shouldn't be: expensive ships people paid actual money for

lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ships are still persistent in that if you lose one there is a time before you can spawn in a new one, Citizens would legitimately riot if those were lost (for now). Smaller cosmetic skins and unique armour sets you can wear in game if you lose them in game are as of now permanently lost.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Well frankly this statement is completely disingenuous because it ignores the known facts.

1. Until February of 2016 there was no choice but to buy both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen at the same time, they were not offered as separate packages until 14th February 2016.

2. Squadron 42 is a one-off payment, given that it comes heavily discounted if you buy a Star Citizen package it's likely the majority still choose to buy both, even after the package split.

What few are aware of is the very good reason to buy more than one Squadron 42 game package, because you aren't just buying a game, you're buying the right to create a unique character in the whole Squadron 42 / Star citizen universe, that character progresses through episode 1, 2 and 3 and then to the PU. You will not be able to create more than one character for each Squadron 42 purchase. When you buy a Star Citizen package you only get one character, whether it comes from Squadron 42 or not. Why do people think Squadron 42 would be any different? Probably because people can't stop thinking of Squadron 42 as 'any other typical AAA game'... which it isn't.

You can replay Squadron 42 with the same character, but only the combat sections in the military simulator - Arena Commander - where you can improve your combat scores. (Chris Roberts has done this in the past with his Wing Commander games, you can't replay Wing Commander Prophecy making different choices, you have to start each character you create from the very beginning again otherwise you only (re)play the simulator). People say how will they make money from selling SQ42 alone and no ship sales, one way (they have many in consideration) is by doing something few others have tried, by monetising replays. You can't have multiple playthrough's taking different choices at each playthrough, and you will be asked to make choices, moral choices and those choices will directly affect your character in the PU afterward. Once you've made your choices for your character those choices are fixed in that characters history log and timeline, who then retires to the PU with that specific history - that's why you can't play all choices with one Squadron 42 purchase. They have discussed offering 'extra character slots' to existing owners of Squadron 42.

As others have pointed out, the only real activity that backers can see happening is with the PU, the majority do not visit these forums so we have no idea what the majority think of Squadron 42 Episode One. People spending time and regurgitating each other's echo-chamber ignorance is no proof at all.

Either way it makes no difference, the only reason people make the claim that they don't care about Squadron 42 is because they haven't done their research into the project and they don't realise that Squadron 42 takes place in exactly the same game universe. As Jared Huckaby described it "Squadron 42 is basically one huge dynamic mission in the Star Citizen universe." They are not separate games, they are intrinsically linked.

The test-bed PU we have now is a tip of the iceberg compared to the full 'Squadron 42 universe' to come - that the PU will eventually become. There's no UEE presence of substance in the current PU, we have no history logs and meaningful progression, and without all that underpins Squadron 42 there never would be.

quote:

They have discussed this and stated it was why they have to be very careful where they put the save points in the game. You'll find on a Squadron 42 Q&A with Chris on the SC Youtube channel. Not playing SQ42 won't halt your gameplay in the PU, it's just that any 'connected' gameplay experiences won't show for you until you do. Your gameplay log has timestamps as you unlock any PU connected features in SQ42. For example they said that gaining the F8C Lightning comes toward the end of Episode One and so if that achievement isn't yet on your characters history it won't unlock in the PU, but once you reach it - it will.

To be clear, you don't have to buy SQ42 again to replay the combat sections with your character, you only need a new character slot when begin with a new character which is also a new character available to transfer to the PU and Episode 2 and 3. Comparing to other games and how people will react to replay limitations is a bit misleading, this game is different. To be honest Chris wants it to feel more like you are involved in an interactive movie where you play a character part. If there weren't a series in the franchise perhaps some would decry not being able to endlessly replay new characters but the whole point of Squadron 42 is that you play your own hero through the whole saga. You don't get to replay a new character in Halo or COD the price of creating your own character and continuing it - has a price there are no do-overs in real life, no-one has issues with that. It's highly likely there will be other saga's set in the same game universe, it doesn't have to be only navy pilots. The next one could be Star Medic.

Comparing to other games and how people will react to replay limitations is a bit misleading, this game is different. To be honest Chris has said wants it to feel more like you are involved in an interactive movie where you play a characters part. If there is a series in the franchise (as is planned) perhaps some would decry not being able to endlessly replay new characters but the whole point of Squadron 42 is that you play your own hero through the whole saga. Any SC / SQ42 or beyond game can take the player character from any other game, how many games do that? Normally in the few instances where a character arc continues, like Halo or Mass Effect you are told your name before the start, you don't pick it yourself and you certainly don't take those into a wider sandbox multiplayer to continue their personal story until death. When doing roleplay games most skip through the story elements anyway to get to the action, it'll be the same in Squadron 42, you just replay the action parts. It's no different to Skyrim, you can't endlessly change you characters story without removing the old, if you go back in time to change your mind with a replay, you miss the future bits you already did, you either do them again or do something different so that in the end the character has only one story. It's highly likely there will be other saga's set in the same game universe, it doesn't have to be only navy pilots. The next one could be Star Medic.

If new character slots are as cheap or cheaper than ship paints I doubt anyone will complain, you get to live a very long storied life for each character you create across multiple games.

I agree, in my opinion they are too draconian in their attitude to spoilers, specifically Todd Howard can stand on a stage and tell everyone you'll be able to visit 100 star systems and 4 fully built cities in Starfield - it gives us an idea of the scope of the game but it doesn't give away one iota of the story / gameplay. There is no reason in my mind why Chris can't give details like that yet we know already some of the story elements like locations events and factions, and we know we'll have titan suits and fight alien animals. These details seem much more like 'spoilers' than anything related to metrics and scope. We know there are 30 main missions with side branches for example.

We can hazard guesses from what has been revealed, the first trailer saw Capt White talking to our character saying "I see you applied to flight academy again" - The naval flight academy is in the Kilian system. We know Old Man Colton talks to us like a rookie pilot in the vertical slice, and we know they made a cartoonified - 'Go join up' video for the very first Invictus Launch Week.

We know the Vanduul attack triggers the war and that attack is in the Vega system, there have been 3 videos of Squadron 42 featuring the Vega system.

The Speech by Admiral Bishop takes place in the Senate on Earth and while it isn't a slam dunk on that basis we do know that one of the very earliest stretch goals was for a 4th landing zone on Earth as well as New York, Moscow and Shanghai.

..and of course the Odin system

We also know (from the vertical slice mission and what they have said) there are no time jumps in the game, you can pause the time but you can't go back in time except to the nearest last save point, in order to go from system to system you have to go through intervening systems... taking all the above into account on that basis it suggests there is likely to be at least 12 star systems in Squadron 42. Terra and Magnus being two which they have said in their communications are also likely candidates for PU. Example when asked 'which systems are coming after Stanton Todd Papy said it could be one of four, Terra, Magnus, Pyro or Nyx - well now know we of course it's Pyro. This also fits because we know the next two systems planned for the PU are Pyro and Nyx - which are the systems that connect Stanton to Odin, and the rest of the other possible / probable star systems in Squadron 42 E1.

quote:

Do you have the source for any of this. Ive not read any thing about

quote:

because you aren't just buying a game, you're buying the right to create a unique character in the whole Squadron 42 / Star citizen universe, that character progresses through episode 1, 2 and 3 and then to the PU.

quote:

They used to talk about these things back in the past, some I got from talking to them in person. There is an interview with Chris called Squadron 42 Q&A from around 2018 on the Star Citizen Youtube channel.

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 22, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Source: trust me

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Seems like someone just replying "no they won't" on any of wall of texts would send him off.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
doesn't even believe it himself, look at all that first-draft-leftover in paragraphs 2 and 3.

And yes, everything we've ever seen from him here could have an answer of No It Won't after every sentence.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

quote:

You will not be able to create more than one character for each Squadron 42 purchase

Oh god I want this to be true. I so desperately want this to be true. Metal Gear Survive did this and it was a huge shitshow. I want more chaos in the press about Star Citizen, because it will be hilarious.

"Star Citizen gets $500 million in backing from players, sells character slots for single player game"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CitizenKain posted:

Seems like someone just replying "no they won't" on any of wall of texts would send him off.

No he won't

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
gets ready to make another informative and useful post:

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Status update on 3.18: They rolled out some server side hotfixes and released a hotfix for the client. So how's that going?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I know it's no StarEngineTM but Unreal 5.2 is pretty neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lkEOEEKYD0

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Also, please note that Wing Commander: Prophecy was not produced by, directed by, or otherwise made by Chris Roberts.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Thoatse posted:

I know it's no StarEngineTM but Unreal 5.2 is pretty neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lkEOEEKYD0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
SQ42 literally doesn’t exist at all lmao